PDA

View Full Version : Recommended/Needed things for the trail

Dick.Breakey
03-18-2010, 06:07 PM
ok. so i understand the normal things. tow hooks- STRAPS (not chains haha) and of course some decent tires

now. going from mild to wild, what kind of accessories do yall like or recommend?

ive got a recovery kit, high lift jack (with the fat base) and nothing else. im thinking on board air.

what else do yall recommend along the lines from body armor to shovels to plug in coolers haha. all things that would make life easier on the trail.

thanks yall.

Krod
03-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Toilet paper.

MemorEsto
03-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Lockers front and rear, and a sawzall for the fenders

trailblaze
03-18-2010, 06:53 PM
^ the above stuff...

chainsaw....

tools you would need/ spare parts you would need....

you can substitute OBA with an air tank....

fluids (in case u flip and spill)....

food & water.....

jim91303
03-18-2010, 06:58 PM
chain saw, winch or come-a-long, snatch block, shovel, spare parts, tools, first aid kit, portable lighting, extra gas, spare tire, tire plug kit with fix-a-flat, and ofcourse a friend ........ nothing worse then being stuck in the woods alone ! besides ... ya dont want to have to do all the 'work' do ya .... lol

jim91303
03-18-2010, 06:59 PM
or just a gun ...... shoot the darn thing and walk out ! LMAO !

tjblair
03-18-2010, 07:38 PM
A cb is a must. I carry a shovel, matic,ax,and hatchet. You can't forget shackles, snatch block or two and a tree saver.

Mykal
03-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Toilet paper, matches or lighter, baby wipes in a ziploc bag
2" ratchet straps come in handy when something breaks that needs held
Large heavy garbage bags are useful for lots of things. Picking up trash, fluid leaks, ponchos
fold up shovel

Those are a few off the top of my head that come in handy.

Dick.Breakey
03-18-2010, 08:14 PM
A cb is a must. I carry a shovel, matic,ax,and hatchet. You can't forget shackles, snatch block or two and a tree saver.

how about come cobra 2 ways that have a pretty good range?

Sloth_Fratelli
03-18-2010, 08:14 PM
if your only wheeling with another person that works out

Meeke
03-18-2010, 08:20 PM
you may want to think of getting one of the resident fab guru's to fab you up some skids and rocker protection. Those things tend to keep the un-lifted rigs and their fluids in one package.

tjblair
03-18-2010, 08:22 PM
if your only wheeling with another person that works out
^what he said. A cb should be the second item on your list, after a tow strap.

Mykal
03-18-2010, 08:23 PM
^what he said. A cb should be the second item on your list, after a tow strap.

Why?

limegreentj
03-18-2010, 08:26 PM
lol, i still dont have a cb, and ive been wheelin without one for 7-8 years or so...lol

Mykal
03-18-2010, 08:28 PM
lol, i still dont have a cb, and ive been wheelin without one for 7-8 years or so...lol

x2 and I have never had a situation where I needed one. With good trail etiqutte you shouldnt need one. Thats why I was asking why he thinks it is so important. Maybe Im missing something?

limegreentj
03-18-2010, 08:29 PM
i can see how it would be nice if you go with a large group of people, but most of the time it was me and 1-2 other vehicles. if we needed to talk we had cell phones or would stop and talk.

tjblair
03-18-2010, 08:30 PM
So you can call to get help. or spot someone in front of you. when pulling or winching it makes comunication easier. letting the guy behind you that you have made it to the top of a climb or to the bottom of a hill. If someone has somthing wrong with their rig yelling at them on the cb works alot better than out the window. Finding your group IF you get separated It just makes so many things easier when wheeling.

ridgerunner97
03-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Haha, don't get me started :)

Things on my rig:

CB
GPS
Hilift
Multiple Recovery Straps
Multiple Shackles
Transport Chain (has its purposes)
Fluids for everything (ATF,Coolant,Oil for oil change etc.)
Wrench rolls
40pc Craftsman Set (3/8 and 1/4 drive)
Compact 1/2in drive standard socket set (ratchet/breaker bar)
Pliers
Screwdriver
Vice Grips
Ball Pein Hammer
Round stock to drive Ujoint caps out

Spare front axle shafts (Ujoints in em ready to go)
Spare Ujoints
Spare front Driveshaft and axle side Ujoint and straps

Chainsaw :)
Food & Water for 2 days
First Aid Kit
Trash Bags
Rope
Rain gear
2 tarps
change of clothes
Gloves
2 Maglites

Thats all I could think of settin here off the top of my head I know I got more shit in there, and room for more :)

tjblair
03-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Lots of parks strongly suggest that you have one.

Mykal
03-18-2010, 08:34 PM
It just makes so many things easier when wheeling.

I can agree with making things easier, I just didnt understand why you were ranking it so high.

Thanks for the input.

ridgerunner97
03-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Oops Axe, Hatchet, and Shovel also :)

Ragnorox
03-18-2010, 09:53 PM
If your running in a park like Meridians a CB is a must. especially when Bouncy Betty at the local strip club yakking on your Channel all day! right Jeff. Seriously though it does come in handy being able to spot the guy in front of you or vice versa.

tjblair
03-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Yah I make sure I'm always on that channel. Lol.

It's also alot easier to bust your friends balls when he gets stuck or doesn't make a climb. Or just plain does somthing stupid.

limegreentj
03-18-2010, 10:03 PM
^ you dont have friends....lol

wait....neither do i...... :(

tjblair
03-18-2010, 10:06 PM
^ you dont have friends....lol

wait....neither do i...... :(
lol true

Dick.Breakey
03-18-2010, 10:09 PM
how bout a hand held cb?

tjblair
03-18-2010, 10:13 PM
That fine so long as it works. You don't need a $350 10 meter radio like I run. A $40 radio shack cb works the same on the trail.

ridgerunner97
03-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Range BLOWS! they tend to be a PITA. If you can pick one up sub 20 bucks I'd say go for it. Wal Mart has a small cobra that i'm running right now that was 40 bucks, works great talks loud. I'm planning on upgrading my radio setup here sometime in the new future, I gotta checkout TJBlair's setup before I make a decision on a radio. I'm gonna run a 10meter more than likely, so I may have a radio for sale in the next couple months if your interested.

Dick.Breakey
03-18-2010, 10:17 PM
really? i see two im looking at. one is a more traditional mounted one and im sure id have to buy an antenna for 65 and then the handheld is 115

ridgerunner97
03-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Post a link, i'd pass on the handheld. Antennas can be had for not much. I prefer a Francis Fiberglass antenna, with 18ft. of high quality Coax. Antenna on a spring mount, some don't like em but i've never had a problem with the spring goin bad and the antenna grounding out or the radio being damaged but I check it about once a week.

SirFuego
03-18-2010, 10:21 PM
As a reference, here is a thread from my local club going over the same thing:
http://www.wnyoffroad.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3621

Sloth_Fratelli
03-18-2010, 10:28 PM
about the CB- when things get confusing (some peckerhead jamming up the trail in a compact car with 3 rigs trying to come down) a CB is alot easier than 45 phone calls in an hour

Dick.Breakey
03-18-2010, 10:29 PM
about the CB- when things get confusing (some peckerhead jamming up the trail in a compact car with 3 rigs trying to come down) a CB is alot easier than 45 phone calls in an hour

touche

Sloth_Fratelli
03-18-2010, 10:30 PM
ask me how i know

Dick.Breakey
03-18-2010, 10:31 PM
http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?PN=1&kw=cb

and heres the link. 4wd.com is a place where ill go pick up stuckk. saves tax and shipping if i manuver it right. also, i let someone know a day ago, if we set upa club with them, theyll give us a big discount and then give us rewards for parites and what not at the end of a year. so i think we should do that

ridgerunner97
03-18-2010, 10:33 PM
That DX is basically the radio i'm running right now. It is a good little unit. That price is out of line though. Go to your local Wally world and see what you can come up with, should be near the car stereos. A good antenna setup is the key to a good talkin radio.

Dick.Breakey
03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
ok. but i f i decided to just be a dick and pay more to get everything i wanted in one trip, the dx would be ok? thats good. ill look for some antennas

Sloth_Fratelli
03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
also, i let someone know a day ago, if we set upa club with them, theyll give us a big discount and then give us rewards for parites and what not at the end of a year. so i think we should do that

^X2!!!!

and if your gonna get a CB make sure youve got a place to put it. i know it sounds dumb but i did a job for a cobra 29 and its so big i cant figure out how to mount it, neither can anybody else whos seen it

Super Scout
03-18-2010, 10:46 PM
I spent maybe 50 bucks on my whole CB set up.
Keep this in mind Dbreaktx you are wheeling a F150, no one else is going to be wheeling one of those. You and I are in the same boat (yours is a little bigger cuz you can buy parts at any autoparts store) no one is going to have parts for our rigs. I keep axle shafts, u joints, tie rods, belts, hoses, ignition parts, steering joints, and pretty much any other part that could leave me stranded in the woods. Along with a ton of tools recovery gear fire extingsher and first aid stuff. Oh I was on an International Scout site and on thier list of most important item to have while offroad number one was a gun not saying I agree but just throwing that out there.

Dick.Breakey
03-18-2010, 10:47 PM
thats why i figure ill get the handheld and not have to worry about it. right now my cart at 4wd .com is 500 bucks and has a majority of the things ill need, that i dont already have.

Dick.Breakey
03-18-2010, 10:51 PM
and by neeeeed i mean i want to make life easier for me and the others around me.

i will however try not to wheel hard enough to break something like an axle. as it is my dd. i just some dirty fun

Super Scout
03-18-2010, 10:53 PM
I never wanna break anything either but it happens, my rig is also 32 years old but you know lol.

ridgerunner97
03-18-2010, 10:55 PM
and by neeeeed i mean i want to make life easier for me and the others around me.

i will however try not to wheel hard enough to break something like an axle. as it is my dd. i just some dirty fun

You say this now, ask Ragnorox and SuperScout about how this is workin out for me. Haven't broke an axle yet, but ive been beating her harder and harder every time out for sum reason, I don't set out too, it has just started happening, its only a matter of time til something goes kaboom...

Dick.Breakey
03-18-2010, 10:59 PM
haha yeah i hear ya. with my independent front i think ill be out a pretty penny if i break something. i think for now ill focus on the things that make it easier for me and the guys around me on the trail, minus a breaking of some critical part. i just like to have a bunch of little things to make things easier or more enjoyful on the trail

ridgerunner97
03-18-2010, 11:05 PM
haha yeah i hear ya. with my independent front i think ill be out a pretty penny if i break something. i think for now ill focus on the things that make it easier for me and the guys around me on the trail, minus a breaking of some critical part. i just like to have a bunch of little things to make things easier or more enjoyful on the trail

:023: The little things can make or break a day out in the woods, your on the right track. I forgot that year ford had IFS. That should be fun. CV axles tend to be cheaper, that may be a plus haha. Hope to see ya out on the trails

Dick.Breakey
03-18-2010, 11:18 PM
how does ifs do on the off road?

Sloth_Fratelli
03-18-2010, 11:40 PM
ask pittim, he wheels a taco with IFS

pittim
03-18-2010, 11:52 PM

ask pittim, he wheels a taco with IFS
:wreckerswife:

I don't wheel as much as I'd like (Fred I should start having some parts of weekends off if you and giblet want to start explorin cranberry/butler/anywhere local) and I plan on buying another rig somewhat soon...maybe...(just incase something bad happens I still have a way to get to work) but where I HAVE been my IFS has been fine. Haven't gotten stuck much (reason: dont wheel much either! :() but when I have it wasn't due to IFS...it was more to do with stock suspension and not the best line.

Biggest draw backs of IFS are travel/flex and it's weaker than SFA (but cheaper to fix)

village_idiot
03-18-2010, 11:53 PM
i wheeled a blazer i had with ifs, it sux. my yj does 30X better stock, 50x better without the front track bar or sway bar.

pittim
03-18-2010, 11:59 PM
i wheeled a blazer i had with ifs, it sux. my yj does 30X better stock, 50x better without the front track bar or sway bar.
Think is has to do with the actual platform and not the type of axle/suspension?

I'm willing to bet my stock tacoma could at the very least be able to keep up with your stock yj.

No, I'm not trying to argue that IFS is better than SFA, that'd be ****ing stupid. It's all in the design of the platform. I have a feeling the last gen blazers kinda got off track of their origins jussst a bit.

village_idiot
03-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Think is has to do with the actual platform and not the type of axle/suspension?

I'm willing to bet my stock tacoma could at the very least be able to keep up with your stock yj.

No, I'm not trying to argue that IFS is better than SFA, that'd be ****ing stupid. It's all in the design of the platform. I have a feeling the last gen blazers kinda got off track of their origins jussst a bit.
you make a very valid point.

Dick.Breakey
03-19-2010, 12:27 AM
so yall think for my weekend wheeler whip it will be ok for the ifs? does it break more than normal peoples rigs? im knows for being different. so lets see how far this goes when we get to the off road part of life

pittim
03-19-2010, 12:33 AM
does it break more than normal peoples rigs?

Just watch your use of the skinny pedal.

There's one guy on the Yota boards that has gone thru like 10 CVs or some shit. But he's also locked up front, which I'm sure plays a role in it.

village_idiot
03-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Just watch your use of the skinny pedal.

There's one guy on the Yota boards that has gone thru like 10 CVs or some shit. But he's also locked up front, which I'm sure plays a role in it.
i think its the locker breaking it. before i scrapped the blazer, my neighbor welded up the spiders and we killed the front axle wit the hammer down in the same place the the yj just walks up over.

pittim
03-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Read this thread. It might help ya figure out ways to have less of a chance to bust your CVs

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132004

Super Scout
03-19-2010, 07:41 AM
like anything else you gotta know how to wheel, buy an extra front driveshaft you may need it....

A friend with a ford f150 twisted his front like a pretzel it had to the weakest driveshaft I have ever seen.

Dick.Breakey
03-19-2010, 08:53 AM
I'll have to keep a watch for that. And that yota site helped a lot. I see a locker is a bad idea up there on stock everything else

limegreentj
03-19-2010, 09:35 AM
also, check around and do a google search, there may even be an f150 forum that could help you learn some more about your vehicle

Dick.Breakey
03-19-2010, 01:09 PM
im trying that now since the manager is out of the office and ive got 4 hours to kill haha. there have been some great posts by yall and i appreciate it. i know the little things can really make things easier or more enjoyable why on the trail. weather it be to fix things or just to make the relaxing times easier too.

skeebs
03-19-2010, 02:00 PM
So you can call to get help. or spot someone in front of you. when pulling or winching it makes comunication easier. letting the guy behind you that you have made it to the top of a climb or to the bottom of a hill. If someone has somthing wrong with their rig yelling at them on the cb works alot better than out the window. Finding your group IF you get separated It just makes so many things easier when wheeling.

and don't forget........

in order to listen to strippers talk your ear off all day

Dick.Breakey
03-19-2010, 02:24 PM
haha. i gotta see what this stripper talk is all about. seems like a good time haha. i think im gona go traditional cab mounted one, although i do like the handheld one. i like the idea of it being able to be taken with me.

abrzrkr
03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
A BIG winch since the F150 is heavy. Long or multiple straps to get you to a tree since you might just drag a lighter TJ that is trying to pull you out.

SirFuego
03-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Why is majority of the wheeling world so stuck on using 1950s communications technology? Even folks I know that have put a lot of effort towards a reliable CB setup still have a ton of issues.

Two-way radios are cheap, more reliable, clearer, and require virtually no setup/tuning/maintenance. They also usually come in pairs, so you can either split the cost with a friend, or just bring an extra one for someone to borrow on the trail rides. With all the money we dump into our rigs for the latest and greatest technology, I'm confused as to why we are still using CB radios...

2002wranglerX
03-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Why are you now wheeling this? I thought it was just a dd and maybe some light wheeling? If you really wanna wheel sell that nice ass truck and buy something you won't mind wacking off some trees!

Dick.Breakey
03-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Why is majority of the wheeling world so stuck on using 1950s communications technology? Even folks I know that have put a lot of effort towards a reliable CB setup still have a ton of issues.

Two-way radios are cheap, more reliable, clearer, and require virtually no setup/tuning/maintenance. They also usually come in pairs, so you can either split the cost with a friend, or just bring an extra one for someone to borrow on the trail rides. With all the money we dump into our rigs for the latest and greatest technology, I'm confused as to why we are still using CB radios...

i have some bas arse cobra 2 ways. and a pair. won them at work. thats what i plan to use at first

Why are you now wheeling this? I thought it was just a dd and maybe some light wheeling? If you really wanna wheel sell that nice ass truck and buy something you won't mind wacking off some trees!

haha. it will only be light wheeling, but hopefully frequent. and i dont really wanna be the arse who keeops getting stuck and relies on others to pull him out. and as someone else put it, a light tj/yj might have some issues pulling somehting that weighs like 1 and a half times more than it does haha.

tjblair
03-19-2010, 04:18 PM

I hated hving a handheld cb. A two way would pretty much be the same thing. I was constantly having to dig it out from under my seat, because it never stayed where I put it. They dont have the range that even a cheap CB does. I can talk 10 miles easy with my radio turned down. not that you need to talk that far often but it happens. If the "folks that you know are having problems with their set up then the CB was not set up right from the get go. I put my 10 meter radio in two years ago and have not had to do anything to it since

Dragonslayer
03-19-2010, 04:27 PM

UMMM, maybe because a CB reaches more people than a pair of 2 way's? duh. If set-up right a CB is way more reliable than 2 way communication's. Hypothetically, if you are out late some nite and you have a problem(break down,crash,etc), cell phone is out of range and no one else around to have the other half of your 2 way, Who you gonna get to help? Set up right a standard 4 watt CB can reach up to 5 miles. Hmm? 1950's technology out of date? I don't think so.

Sloth_Fratelli
03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
if stuff from the 1950's is out of date, why are you guys still wheeling jeeps? they came out with that crap way before the 50s

Dick.Breakey
03-19-2010, 04:57 PM
doesnt take much to get off topic with yall haha

i love tangents

Super Scout
03-19-2010, 04:57 PM
That F150 probaby doesnt weigh much more than a jeep. Its a short bed, 6 clyinder there aint nothing to it maybe 4500 and even that much I would be suprised...

SirFuego
03-19-2010, 05:01 PM
I hated hving a handheld cb. A two way would pretty much be the same thing. I was constantly having to dig it out from under my seat, because it never stayed where I put it.
Fair enough. They don't make dash mounts for them. Although mine came with a belt clip, so some method of securing it shouldn't be that difficult. Although, a handheld does offer the advantage of being able to spot someone from outside your vehicle.

They dont have the range that even a cheap CB does. I can talk 10 miles easy with my radio turned down. not that you need to talk that far often but it happens.
Agreed on this, but the range of two-way radios are more than adequate for what we do.

If the "folks that you know are having problems with their set up then the CB was not set up right from the get go. I put my 10 meter radio in two years ago and have not had to do anything to it since
Which sorta proves what I was saying -- you need to know what you are doing to get a CB to work well. Two-way radios requires virtually no effort to set up.

UMMM, maybe because a CB reaches more people than a pair of 2 way's? duh.
Two way radio simply means that it can send (one way) and receive (second-way) radio waves. It does not mean that only two people can talk. Nor does it mean you need to have the same radio to talk to each other. You send a message to a specific channel, and it gets broadcasted to everyone in range running that same channel (sound familiar?). Not that it's needed for wheeling, but there are also privacy codes you can use to effectively increase the number of channels.

If set-up right a CB is way more reliable than 2 way communication's. Hypothetically, if you are out late some nite and you have a problem(break down,crash,etc), cell phone is out of range and no one else around to have the other half of your 2 way, Who you gonna get to help? Set up right a standard 4 watt CB can reach up to 5 miles. Hmm? 1950's technology out of date? I don't think so.
Again, you need to know how to set them up correctly...

if stuff from the 1950's is out of date, why are you guys still wheeling jeeps? they came out with that crap way before the 50s
So most of us still get all of our drivetrain components from 1950s vehicles?

My point isn't that CB radios are completely useless. It wasn't even meant to imply that CB radios don't work. I know they have been used for years -- and the fact that they are still used frequently attests to the fact that it works. But it stems from the fact that:
1) Not everyone is a radio expert
2) There is another technology that does the same job wit virtually no effort or knowledge required for setup

BAD_GNR
03-19-2010, 05:06 PM
A copy of dueling banjos on casette tape is almost always a must. Unless you've upgraded like me to a stereo with a usb port, now I have a digital copy. Hooooooo Doggy!

http://mattcbr.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/deliverance_dueling_banjos.jpg

Muzikman
03-19-2010, 05:16 PM
You know, the one MAJOR problem I have with hand held two way radios is that every time I go to use them, my batteries are dead.

I also hate trying to find them when I drop them. They are not as clear as a CB. They don't reach as far, which when wheeling short trails is not a big problem, but say you are at a large park (like Rausch) and you need to get a hold of another group on the other side of the park, or even the office, a CB will do it, but not a hand held.

I also find handhelds annoying with all their sub channels. I don't know how many times I have bumped a button, went up one sub channel and could not communicate both ways with people.

That being said, I have a CB and I carry two Cobra 2-ways with me...so I got the best of both worlds. Now I just need to get my license so I can install a HAM.

Fair enough. They don't make dash mounts for them. Although mine came with a belt clip, so some method of securing it shouldn't be that difficult. Although, a handheld does offer the advantage of being able to spot someone from outside your vehicle.

Agreed on this, but the range of two-way radios are more than adequate for what we do.

Which sorta proves what I was saying -- you need to know what you are doing to get a CB to work well. Two-way radios requires virtually no effort to set up.

Two way radio simply means that it can send (one way) and receive (second-way) radio waves. It does not mean that only two people can talk. Nor does it mean you need to have the same radio to talk to each other. You send a message to a specific channel, and it gets broadcasted to everyone in range running that same channel (sound familiar?). Not that it's needed for wheeling, but there are also privacy codes you can use to effectively increase the number of channels.

Again, you need to know how to set them up correctly...

So most of us still get all of our drivetrain components from 1950s vehicles?

My point isn't that CB radios are completely useless. It wasn't even meant to imply that CB radios don't work. I know they have been used for years -- and the fact that they are still used frequently attests to the fact that it works. But it stems from the fact that:
1) Not everyone is a radio expert
2) There is another technology that does the same job wit virtually no effort or knowledge required for setup

tjblair
03-19-2010, 05:19 PM
but the range of two-way radios are more than adequate for what we do.

I disagree with this. Maybe talking to someone in your group they will work fine. Range is a big issue with me. Example. Last year at one of the outback events I had a guy break right by the snake trail. Rob was not in his jeep so I was trying to talk to him on his hand held (he was at the camp site) I wanted him to go open another enterance so I could get this guy out easier. but even with my good radio I couldnt hear him. he could hear me, but I didn't know that. A two way does not even have the range of a hand held CB. I agree that for talking in your group they would probably work fine but 90% of people already have CB's. and you cant talk to a two way from a CB. So why not get a CB, and if you are not comfortable seting it up take it to someone who does, they don't charge much.

Deadman 94 xj
03-19-2010, 05:41 PM
haha. i gotta see what this stripper talk is all about. seems like a good time haha. i think im gona go traditional cab mounted one, although i do like the handheld one. i like the idea of it being able to be taken with me.

That channel gets on my nerves. I really wish we'd use a different channel lol. Maybe one day I'll visit that place and my mind will change, but somehow I doubt it.

I can see both sides of the argument. The only thing I'll add is that I've seen Jeff pulled over on the side of a trail trying his damndest to get a hold of somebody stuck or somebody back at base. He usually ends up picking up his cell phone because they hear him but he can't hear them.

For the guys in the group, I can see a 2-way working out just fine though. But then again I don't see a reason not to pick up a cheap CB. JMO.

Edit: Then again, it would be kinda nice to ditch my antenna...

skeebs
03-19-2010, 11:49 PM
back on topic,

a midget....and a spatula

you figure it out

Dick.Breakey
03-19-2010, 11:51 PM
thanks skeebs. for putting it so eloquently

skeebs
03-20-2010, 12:23 AM
That's what I'm hear for Richard :047: