PDA

View Full Version : Need help from the wiring experts...

muddeprived
03-22-2010, 01:20 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/Mudswiring002.jpg

This is a wiring diagram that was made by a fellow jeeper on my other forum. This is to run my elk-960 delay timer to my e-fan to allow it to run for desired amount of time after jeep is shut off.

I'm not quite sure of where to tap into the ignition for this. Do you know what color wire it is and where I can find it in the engine bay? The wiring harness has a godzillion wires and i don't have a jeep manual to tell em apart.

Also I assume I am tapping into the fan's power wire? Which color wire would that be?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to electrical wiring and all that stuff so bear with me. I would rather someone do this for me so I don't burn down the jeep but something inside me wants to give it a try cuz you never learn till you try.

This is for a 2001 XJ by the way.

Thanks

mxg342
03-22-2010, 03:29 PM
You need to find a wire that is hot (+12V) only when the key is on.

If you get a pushpin or a needle, you can probe through the wire insulation and put a cheap test light on the wire. I'm sure there are a ton of wires running through the engine compartment that are this way.

Or run a wire back into the cab and tie into the radio or something. Should be pretty easy.

EDIT: Where's your fuse box?

muddeprived
03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
You need to find a wire that is hot (+12V) only when the key is on.

If you get a pushpin or a needle, you can probe through the wire insulation and put a cheap test light on the wire. I'm sure there are a ton of wires running through the engine compartment that are this way.

Or run a wire back into the cab and tie into the radio or something. Should be pretty easy.

EDIT: Where's your fuse box?

Fuse box is on the passenger side kick panel. I did some nosing around in naxja and I think the black/orange wire is the ignition wire. Not 100% on that though.

mxg342
03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
You don't need the ignition wire. All you are looking for is switched voltage (Key on) Do some searching. It shouldn't be tough to find.

muddeprived
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
You don't need the ignition wire. All you are looking for is switched voltage (Key on) Do some searching. It shouldn't be tough to find.

Alright thanks dude.

mxg342
03-22-2010, 08:28 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/mxg342/xjunderhoodfuseblock.jpg

This is from a 96 XJ. I'm not sure if it's going to be the same for an 01 or not. But anyway. This is the underhood fuse/relay panel. In the middle of it there are five mini fuses. the three on the right (four fuse spots actually) are constant voltage. The two on the left are switched voltage. You can always get fuse taps and connect your wire to one of the switch voltage fuses. The relay current draw is extremely small so you won't have to worry about blowing fuses by doing this.

I hope it helps.

Also when connecting a fuse tap, you want to get on the protected side of the fuse. Use your test light, pull a fuse, check the sockets where both stabs go, the one that doesn't have power is the protected side. Keep in mind you'll need your key on to do this correctly on a switched voltage fuse.

Post up if you need more details.

Matt

muddeprived
03-22-2010, 09:43 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/mxg342/xjunderhoodfuseblock.jpg

This is from a 96 XJ. I'm not sure if it's going to be the same for an 01 or not. But anyway. This is the underhood fuse/relay panel. In the middle of it there are five mini fuses. the three on the right (four fuse spots actually) are constant voltage. The two on the left are switched voltage. You can always get fuse taps and connect your wire to one of the switch voltage fuses. The relay current draw is extremely small so you won't have to worry about blowing fuses by doing this.

I hope it helps.

Also when connecting a fuse tap, you want to get on the protected side of the fuse. Use your test light, pull a fuse, check the sockets where both stabs go, the one that doesn't have power is the protected side. Keep in mind you'll need your key on to do this correctly on a switched voltage fuse.

Post up if you need more details.

Matt

thanks man. the 01 fuse panel is similar but i have a bunch more fuses in the middle and they aren't in that yellow tray either. Everything else looks the same. I'll get a pix of it tomorrow during the day so we can see which ones are what but I could just figure it out by using a multimeter.

I was told that the recent wiring diagram that I just posted probably won't work cuz the amerage from the fan exceeds the delay timer's limit or something. Here's the email from the tech guy at ELK:

Good afternoon Chris,

The ELK-960 POS and NEG will need to be connected to a Constant 12 V from the vehicle and you will need a positive or negative trigger to let the ELK-960 know the vehicle is running --- Please try the following jumper settings:

· POS of the ELK-960 to constant +12VDC

· NEG of the ELK-960 to the negative of the source

· JP1 – MIN

· JP2 – 1-Shot

· JP3 - Begin

· JP4 – “A”

· JP5 – “+” OR “-“ depending on the trigger when the vehicle is running

· Connect from the +12VDC of the constant source to COM on the ELK-960

· Connect the + of the electric fans to the N/O on the ELK-960

· Connect the – of the electric fans to the negative of the source

When the vehicle is started a trigger should be sent to the ELK-960 which will cause the relay to turn ON. When the vehicle is turned OFF the trigger should be removed from the ELK-960 at which time the timing will start ---- 2 minutes later the relay should turn OFF. Please make sure the current draw of the electric fans does not exceed the contact rating of the ELK-960 up to 28 VDC at 7Amps.

Thank you,

Brad Weeks

I'm not sure what the fan wire puts out so I'm not gonna do this until I can confirm a setup that will work without risks.

By the way, i've never seen a fuse tap before but I got an idea of what it would do but would the auto stores have those in stock or gotta go to good ol' radio shack?

mxg342
03-22-2010, 10:10 PM
I've got some fuse taps in the garage. They look like they're from the wiring section at Advance.

I'll get you an updated schematic of how to wire the stuff tomorrow when I'm at work. The basic components are the same as what you've posted. I just need to change some of the wiring points.

muddeprived
03-22-2010, 11:22 PM
I've got some fuse taps in the garage. They look like they're from the wiring section at Advance.

I'll get you an updated schematic of how to wire the stuff tomorrow when I'm at work. The basic components are the same as what you've posted. I just need to change some of the wiring points.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. Will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

mxg342
03-23-2010, 08:24 AM
This diagram should do the same thing as the one above. Only this one will power the fan through a relay instead of through the module. If you want to take it and throw it on NAXJA go ahead. I didn't research the trigger on the timer but it should work the same as your original plan without running the fan through the timer.

I'm also put the corresponding tab numbers on the relay so you can wire it a little easier.

Hope this helps.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/mxg342/XJFanDelayTimerWiringDiag.jpg

muddeprived
03-23-2010, 08:45 AM
This diagram should do the same thing as the one above. Only this one will power the fan through a relay instead of through the module. If you want to take it and throw it on NAXJA go ahead. I didn't research the trigger on the timer but it should work the same as your original plan without running the fan through the timer.

I'm also put the corresponding tab numbers on the relay so you can wire it a little easier.

Hope this helps.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/mxg342/XJFanDelayTimerWiringDiag.jpg

hey thanks. I assume I'm setting the timer like this?

+ to battery + terminal
- to battery - terminal
trigger to ignition or other
N/O to 85 on relay
com to ??
N/C to ??

What do I do with Com and N/C?

JP1 = seconds
JP2 = 1-shot
JP3 = begin
JP4 = ???
JP5 = ???

I assume JP4 will be A and JP5 will be +, is that right?

muddeprived
03-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Hey guys I have a problem. I can't find a 40 amp fuse and fuse holder anywhere in town.

I was told to get a 40 amp atc inline fuse holder for the relay to battery connection. Everyone has 40 amp atc and maxi fuses but NO 40 amp fuse holders. Most of them only go up to 30 amp. Anyone know where i can get a 40 amp fuse holder? I'm using 10g wire.

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Can I be the idiot and ask why you're doing this?

muddeprived
03-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Can I be the idiot and ask why you're doing this?

Mxg342 posted that wiring diagram and i threw it on naxja in the misfire thread. At the same time someone else tossed in a diagram very similar to his but they said I gotta use a 40 amp fuse on the wire from the relay to the battery. They said I won't need a fuse IF i wire it to the Batt F141 wire but that requires taking apart the PDC and i want to avoid that so I need a fuse to hook directly to the battery.

here's the other diagram:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/AuxFanDelayTimerWiring.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/?action=view&current=AuxFanDelayTimerWiring.jpg)

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 01:41 PM
No, I mean the whole mod lol. I can't help ya with the wiring. I usually just poke around until something works :)

This is just to let the fan run after shutoff correct?

muddeprived
03-24-2010, 01:41 PM
http://www.amazon.com/MAXI-Fuse-Holder-Waterproof-Cover/dp/B00030CPOQ

That's what I need but no one has it. I need 10g but I can make this work.

muddeprived
03-24-2010, 01:43 PM
No, I mean the whole mod lol. I can't help ya with the wiring. I usually just poke around until something works :)

The wiring is for a delay timer to activate my e-fan when I turn off the ignition. This is an attempt to cure my heat-soak misfire by cooling down the ignition components and injection system with the e-fan. The timer is gonna be set for 1 or 2 minutes so the fan runs after shutdown and blows the hot air out of the engine bay.

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 01:47 PM
The wiring is for a delay timer to activate my e-fan when I turn off the ignition. This is an attempt to cure my heat-soak misfire by cooling down the ignition components and injection system with the e-fan. The timer is gonna be set for 1 or 2 minutes so the fan runs after shutdown and blows the hot air out of the engine bay.

Thanks, makes sense. I couldn't wrap my brain around it before. :)

I've used those holders from Advance auto. IIRC they were only 30A though. I doubt you'd have trouble using that 12awg (?) on 10awg wire and put in your 40A fuse. It wouldn't be enough drop to heat it up IMO.

muddeprived
03-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks, makes sense. I couldn't wrap my brain around it before. :)

I've used those holders from Advance auto. IIRC they were only 30A though. I doubt you'd have trouble using that 12awg (?) on 10awg wire and put in your 40A fuse. It wouldn't be enough drop to heat it up IMO.

You mean the 8g fuse holder with my 10g wiring setup? (the link is for a 8g 40amp fuse holder)

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 01:52 PM
You might also want to try your local Best Buy. They go through tons of that stuff in their audio installation dept.

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
You mean the 8g fuse holder with my 10g wiring setup? (the link is for a 8g 40amp fuse holder)

That's even better. There would be no voltage drop. I thought the fuse holder gage was smaller than your wiring setup. That way, you'd be asking for trouble if the difference was huge. Since your fuse holder is bigger, you're fine. Throw the 40A fuse in and don't look back.

muddeprived
03-24-2010, 01:57 PM
That's even better. There would be no voltage drop. I thought the fuse holder gage was smaller than your wiring setup. That way, you'd be asking for trouble if the difference was huge. Since your fuse holder is bigger, you're fine. Throw the 40A fuse in and don't look back.

Cool thanks.

I was wondering about using circuit breakers?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Circuit-Breaker-Bussmann_25984939-P_N4017D_A|GRP2020A____

Would that work the same way? Advance has that in 40 amp.

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Cool thanks.

I was wondering about using circuit breakers?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Circuit-Breaker-Bussmann_25984939-P_N4017D_A|GRP2020A____

Would that work the same way? Advance has that in 40 amp.

I would say yes. But, I wonder if they're manually reset or auto. I'd be a little worried with the auto becuase you're trusting the integrity of that breaker with your jeep, if there's a problem. If they manually reset than you're good to go. Obviously with a fuse you have nothing to worry about because it blows and you manually reset it by replacing it.

I don't have experience with those breakers though to really say.

muddeprived
03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
I would say yes. But, I wonder if they're manually reset or auto. I'd be a little worried with the auto becuase you're trusting the integrity of that breaker with your jeep, if there's a problem. If they manually reset than you're good to go. Obviously with a fuse you have nothing to worry about because it blows and you manually reset it by replacing it.

I don't have experience with those breakers though to really say.

I think it's auto reset. I understand what you mean and I'll stick with a fuse.

mxg342
03-24-2010, 03:00 PM
You'll be fine with the breaker. You can always change it later if you want a fuse.

muddeprived
03-24-2010, 03:37 PM
You'll be fine with the breaker. You can always change it later if you want a fuse.

Alright I ordered the fuse holder on amazon and went to advance and got a 40 amp circuit breaker. When the fuse comes in I'll swap it in.

I found a couple of these in my wiring box from my RC build..

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/PIC-0168-1.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/?action=view&current=PIC-0168-1.jpg)

These are fuse taps right? Does it matter which way you install it? You said install the fuse tap in the fuse port with no power (protected side).

NeonRyder
03-25-2010, 06:47 AM
http://www.amazon.com/MAXI-Fuse-Holder-Waterproof-Cover/dp/B00030CPOQ

That's what I need but no one has it. I need 10g but I can make this work.

NAPA has those, 10 GA with the Maxi fuse. I'm using one with my e-fan set-up also.

mxg342
03-25-2010, 07:12 AM
I've never seen one of those. I'm sure it could work. It also looks like it is a fuse holder as well.

Orientation on that won't matter since it looks to be a fuse holder as well.

muddeprived
03-27-2010, 12:39 PM
I've never seen one of those. I'm sure it could work. It also looks like it is a fuse holder as well.

Orientation on that won't matter since it looks to be a fuse holder as well.

They worked great. Made my life so much easier LOL.

I wired everything up and tested it. The fan stays on for whatever time is set on the timer, which is good!

BUT the fan runs continuously while the jeep is running, which is a no no. Do you know what's gotta be changed to keep the fan off while the motor is running (except for when it needs it)?

muddeprived
03-28-2010, 11:25 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/misfire%20fix/th_mov-0043.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/misfire%20fix/?action=view&current=mov-0043.flv)

:038::038: