PDA

View Full Version : I learned something new today about my heep

Sycotik Skier
03-23-2010, 12:33 AM
So my inspection is up and I've been somewhat broke so i haven't been working on it too much to get it to pass inspection. My reverse lights decided to quit working sometime in the past and I decided to tackle that problem today. I got out my trusty test light that I've gotten all too familiar with recently and checked to see if I was getting power back to my reverse lights. I wasn't so i decided to check my neutral safety/ reverse light switch. It's bad. So i drive to Advance to get a new one. There were three options for neutral safety switches depending on which trans I have, the t4 t5 one, the auto one and the t177 one. I have a t177 which if i remember correctly is a very good trans, but the nss is significantly more expensive and not a stocked item at any of the close stores or the close warehouses. So it'll be two days before it's in and I'll most likely lose my motivation before it gets here.

Mykal
03-23-2010, 05:04 AM
My NSS quit working as well. Im going to try cleaning it first. They say that usually brings them back.

ridgerunner97
03-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Mine shit the bed as well Mykal, reverse lights don't work and it will only start with the shifter in neutral being jiggled around. Quadratec has em for $150 new for the AW4 if cleaning don't work. I'm gonna try cleaning mine as well, If I don't break it comin off that shaft haha.

Mykal
03-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Mine starts fine. Just the reverse lights are out. If it doesn't work after cleaning them I'm goin to put them on a switch until I swap my transmissions the new one has a good one on it.

highlandercj-7
03-23-2010, 03:26 PM
How the funk did you mess up a AW4 to need to change one?

ridgerunner97
03-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Come on Rod, do you forget who you're talking about here? Haha :040:

Mykal
03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Well I'm not completely sure it's the trans yet. It slips so bad it won't move for the first 15-20 seconds after the first start of the day. After that it's fine unless it sits for a few hours. I really think it might be the crushed trans line where the passenger UCA crushed it. We will find out once I replace that. Otherwise the heat and 250k miles oN it wore it out. I have a spare just in case.

I'm still hoping the motor is done after the radiator incident this past weekend.

limegreentj
03-23-2010, 05:41 PM
when my rear end locked up in my old xj, it slammed to a halt so hard and i had to get it off the road that it messed the tranny up real bad

Sycotik Skier
03-23-2010, 11:11 PM
I tried cleaning mine up and it's still bad. It's only $25 for mine for the t177. I'll have it here in about 8 hours.

joshs1ofakindxj
03-23-2010, 11:20 PM
I cleaned the NSS for my AW4 when I got my first heep back in 2003 cause I barely got it home with it never wanting to start. 7 years later no problems with from the cleaned original NSS (knock on wood)

muddeprived
03-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Just a question, how can you tell when the NSS is bad?

mxg342
03-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Reverse lights don't work, or it doesn't try to start in park or neutral.

Of course, these are just symptoms. There could be other issues not pertaining to the NSS that could cause all of the above.

Sycotik Skier
03-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Mine is a manual trans. I wasn't getting reverse lights. I tested it but checking resistance across the two posts on it.