PDA

View Full Version : Mega urgent help needed

Sloth_Fratelli
03-23-2010, 10:29 PM
so im trying to put that front tow bar on and i have to remove the sway bar mounts on the frame. first three bolts only took about an hour to get off:s-instagib: then on the forth, i thought i rounded the head of the bolt off and was trying a million and one things to get it off. tried the socket again, realize i broke the damn socket. anybody have any ideas? i need this fixed SOON!!!!!:crybaby:

limegreentj
03-23-2010, 10:34 PM
You can try putting some torch heat on it....soak that whore in PB blaster too...

tighten it, then loosen it, then tighten it, then loosen it, til it finally breaks free.

Sloth_Fratelli
03-23-2010, 10:53 PM
im about to give up i tried using a ton of blaster a wrench a hammer and im a little reluctant to heat it up with wires so close... damn this was a mac socket too not a cheap HF one. one of the few good sets of tools i had is the one that broke...

Super Scout
03-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Pb blaster, if you can heat it try that if you can't.
If its rounded off try the next smaller socket go metric or to sae, I have no idea what the jeeps are. Put the socket on and beat it on with a hammer. Also make sure your using a 6 point, and a good six point at that. Cheaper ones will stretch and round off bolts. If all this fails you may have to call in the grinder. I think you will be able to get it off just take your time and make sure the socket is on there before turning.

ridgerunner97
03-23-2010, 10:57 PM
What wires? Shouldn't be no wires there. Give it some heat and be gentle about it. Just keep workin at her she'll give. Be VERY careful puttin them back in, its easy to f the threads up on those bolts.

Sloth_Fratelli
03-23-2010, 10:59 PM
it is... was a 15mm socket. a mac one at that. the bolt isnt rounded, the socket broke. im gonna have a fun walk to get another socket tomorrow, im calling it in.

limegreentj
03-23-2010, 11:00 PM
and you'll probably need oxy acetylene heat, since propane wont be hot enough

ridgerunner97
03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
and you'll probably need oxy acetylene heat, since propane wont be hot enough

Correct, even Mapp Gas may be a possibility, but Oxy is your best bet

Sycotik Skier
03-23-2010, 11:04 PM
want me to come out? I have several good sockets. where are you currently located at?

Sloth_Fratelli
03-23-2010, 11:05 PM
i used propane once before to get a stuck o2 sensor on giblets jeep out it only took like an hour to get it hot enough... ill give it a try tomorrow anyway. and theres no way in hell ill be able to get some oxy/acet before next payday(next friday)

Sloth_Fratelli
03-23-2010, 11:07 PM
want me to come out? I have several good sockets. where are you currently located at?

im in cranberry right now i found a ride to work tomorrow so its not that urgent, but if you wanna come out tomorrow and gimme a hand thatd be awesome. if you have a torque wrench you could bring too thatd be awesome haha

Super Scout
03-23-2010, 11:10 PM
You know I have never used heat to get out a bolt, ever. This coming from a guy who has rebuilt three of the most rust prone vehicles ever built. Good sockets, angle grinder, pb blaster, and determination.

ridgerunner97
03-23-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm a fan of heat depending on situation, sometimes I think the heat weakens the bolt even more and then they just twist off, i've had mixed luck using the SuperScout method and the torch like Lime said.

Sloth_Fratelli
03-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Good sockets, angle grinder, pb blaster, and determination.

this is what determination does to good sockets, in crappy cell-o-vision

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/FREDDYRAMONE6/damnit.jpg

XJchris98
03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Which side of the jeep is the bolt on?

Sycotik Skier
03-23-2010, 11:14 PM
I have a Mapp gas torch but I never really use it for loosing bolts. I have some trees that need dropped tomorrow and I think I'm going repelling. If that falls through I'll get ahold of you.

limegreentj
03-23-2010, 11:14 PM
[quote=ridgerunner97;201024]I'm a fan of heat depending on situation, sometimes I think the heat weakens the bolt even more and then they just twist off, i've had mixed luck using the SuperScout method and the torch like Lime said.[/quo

but when the head breaks off, then you can weld a nut on top of it, and the heat from that will help it break free, and (sometimes) make it easier to get off

Sloth_Fratelli
03-23-2010, 11:15 PM
passenger. and its the rear bolt so its impossible to get a good striking angle with a wrench and a hammer without hitting the coil spring, steering linkage, or a million other things

XJchris98
03-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Dont even waste your time with heat. There are threaded inserts "formed" into the inside unibody rails and chances are the bolt is severely rusted to that threaded insert. It might break loose with the right amount of heat/cheater bar, but the rest of the bolt/nut is likely shot.

Your best bet would be to drill out the bolt from the bottom, then with a ~1" hole saw, cut a hole on the outside part of the "frame". Now you can put a new bolt in and simply slide the nut in through the access hole you created with the hole saw.

village_idiot
03-23-2010, 11:27 PM
this is what determination does to good sockets, in crappy cell-o-vision

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/FREDDYRAMONE6/damnit.jpg
damn dude. shit like this makes me wish more and more i had an impact gun.

Sloth_Fratelli
03-23-2010, 11:31 PM
i saw somewhere that you could try a backwards drill bit (i guess they sell them at home depot? never seen one) and a ton of blaster but if it broke a damn socket im not too sure my drill would have enough power.

ridgerunner97
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Its a left hand drill bit.

Super Scout
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Is that 3/8 drive? hard to tell in the pic. 1/2" or go home.

Sloth_Fratelli
03-23-2010, 11:41 PM
yeah couldnt remember the name. i just put way too much pb blaster on it, im gonna just let it soak in and get back at it tomorrow after work

Sloth_Fratelli
03-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Is that 3/8 drive? hard to tell in the pic. 1/2" or go home.

3/8 hand drill haha.

Super Scout
03-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Not the drill bit the socket is it 3/8 drive?

Sloth_Fratelli
03-23-2010, 11:54 PM
yeah but the sockets on a hand drill with a socket... end? idk it made more sese in my head.

limegreentj
03-24-2010, 12:00 AM
^ ha! you young kids!!! ill tell you what!

step away from the pot! lol

Sloth_Fratelli
03-24-2010, 12:08 AM
dude my ratchet is at my friends house and i found this thing in my basement its my dad and i have no clue what its called but it works. it takes one hell of a workout tho, but you can get leverage in different ways.

and you leave my drugs out of this, lol

Super Scout
03-24-2010, 12:15 AM
NO wonder it broke you need half inch I break /8 bits all the time. You snap a half inch than its time to get creative lol.

Sycotik Skier
03-24-2010, 12:16 AM
I've snapped a few half inch drives in the past. Big breaker bar and a lot of weight hanging off it will do it.

Super Scout
03-24-2010, 12:17 AM
oh and you will get far more leverage and force with a checker bar or ratchet. Half inch Fred quit f'ing around :-)

Super Scout
03-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Breaker bar I mean. I have broke half inch before but you can do more with em

Sycotik Skier
03-24-2010, 12:21 AM
yeah I don't really seem to use my 3/8's too much. it's either my 1/4 ratchet or my half inch stuff. Most of my half inch drive is impact so it's heavier wall. I have yet to break a socket even when I'm hammering away with my IR thundergun.

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 12:28 AM
I've always had good luck with propane. When in doubt...angle grinder.

village_idiot
03-24-2010, 12:31 AM
just thinking out my ass, what about drilling down the center and forcing some liquid nitrogen into it then heat the surrounding metal? me thinks that would break it free or crush the bolt.

tjblair
03-24-2010, 06:57 AM
just thinking out my ass, what about drilling down the center and forcing some liquid nitrogen into it then heat the surrounding metal? me thinks that would break it free or crush the bolt.
Oh shit!

NO wonder it broke you need half inch I break /8 bits all the time. You snap a half inch than its time to get creative lol.

I use 3/8 most the time, even at work. I only go to the 1/2 stuff when the 3/8 snap-on impact ain't gettin it (which isn't often).

I would get yourself a new 6pt impact socket and a good impact driver(you know the type you hit with a hammer) little bit of map gas heat and some impact driver love should get it done.

Super Scout
03-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Well, I have snapped 3/8 snap on and SK sockets numerous times. Everytime I broke it loose with a 1/2". 1/2" are alot stronger and you can get a better grip on it. Before I used heat, liquid nitrogen or anything else I would grab a 1/2 breaker bar with a socket. I have worked on Scouts that were so rusted and bolts so seized they would make a 15 year old jeep look like a walk in the park. Never used heat and rarely used air. Try a 1/2" Fred before you spend you money on anything else. That dont work I would try an impact driver.

tjblair
03-24-2010, 07:53 AM
You don't need 1/2 in stuff that often. Get a good set of 3/8 impact sockets.(you will not break them by hand) Take it form someone who uses their tools everyday for a living. I do have some 1/2 tools, but I have and use the 3/8 much more. What you will end up doing with the 1/2 in breaker bar is just that, breaking the bolt. I wouldn't even concider useing 1/2 in impact or breaker bar in a bolt that is smaller than 9/16 maybe 1/2 in. He said it was a 15mm head so the bolt is probably only an 11-12mm bolt. Using a big bar on that sized bolt is asking to break it.

Super Scout
03-24-2010, 08:00 AM
I have seen your picture Jeff, your a much bigger guy than me or Fred. :kyle:

tjblair
03-24-2010, 08:02 AM
UH, thanks.:gear_huh2:

Super Scout
03-24-2010, 08:08 AM
LOl, what you can bust loose with a 3/8 socket we probably cant. I have snapped 3/8 sockets only to get off my ass grab the 1/2" and break them loose. That is all I have to say on this matter. Tho the liquid nitrogen idea would be insane. Whats the going price for liquid nitro anyways?

jackb1
03-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Man, I snap 1" sockets for fun. Why did this turn into a socket snapping competition? He didn't snap a socket or round off the 3/8 drive did he? He rounded the other end, which has little if any correlation on the size of the drive. ...But I digress...

To the OP, do you need to just borrow a tow bar? I have one that clamps onto a factory style (or similar) jeep bumper

OverkillZJ
03-24-2010, 10:13 AM
More heat...

Super Scout
03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Fred did snap a socket, the bolt is still fine. Which is why I said to use a stronger 1/2 inch socket. He originally thought he rounded the bolt than said he broke the socket.

limegreentj
03-24-2010, 10:22 AM
More heat...

this^

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Just get a freakin propane torch from homedepot. It'll literally take you 5 mins heating it up and it'll break loose. I know what bolts you're talking about.

I use that stupid torch on everything. Probably a little too much lol. It's nice for burning the nylon out of little locking nuts too.

Sloth_Fratelli
03-24-2010, 03:55 PM

haha dude i dont have cash to get oxy/acet till payday, and im guessing liquid nitrogen costs a hell of alot more. i dont even know where to start looking for that, or what id do with the rest of it

Just get a freakin propane torch from homedepot.

i have one im gonna try if i cant get it off easier today, whenever i can get a new socket

GrimJeeper01
04-04-2010, 08:59 AM
x2 on the left hand drill bit. It worked like a charm when I snapped off the studs for my transfer case crossmember. I'd say give it a try.