PDA

View Full Version : Need help mounting tow hooks

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 03:28 PM
:100: ok so ive got tow hooks that will be here friday. i need some help mounting them. i dont have stock tow hooks so ill need to mount them seperately than what i think is a stock location. its just something new to me, so i was wondering if anyone would be willing to swing by and help. ill supply the beer :thumbsup:was looking at the frame and all that and just dont see where it would normally mount, or how id get it there.

if anyones willing to help let me know and ill shoot you my info.

thanks

Sloth_Fratelli
03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
ill come by and help if you want , but i dont know half as much as some of the dudes on here haha. couldnt you find a bracket? XJ's rarely came stock with tow points but you can still buy the OEM tow hook and mounting bracket, id figure the 150 would be the same

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 05:26 PM
there wasnt any bracket for it. stock or otherwise. the stock tow hooks look harder to put on than the ones i ordered haha. theres two holes on the bottom of the frame, but none on the top. and i figure there would be some on top if the bolts would be going through the entire frame. and the bolts look too long to only go half way through the box frame

Mykal
03-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Did you only get hooks? Post a picture of them. What vehicle is this for?

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Did you only get hooks? Post a picture of them. What vehicle is this for?

its got grade 8 bolts and what not. but the ones i got were black

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/dickbreakey/Truck/keeper_hook.jpg

tjblair
03-24-2010, 09:30 PM
its got grade 8 bolts and what not. but the ones i got were black

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/dickbreakey/Truck/keeper_hook.jpg
Your gona need brackets.

pittim
03-24-2010, 09:31 PM
A reason why you dont see any holes up top is because the frame is possibly tapped.

Mykal
03-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Going on what? A Cherokee?
You CAN NOT just bolt those to the unibody. You need the brackets that I told you I had. The first good tug will pull the bolts through the sheet metal.

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 09:35 PM
my truck is a real truck. has a real frame. so i dont have the unibody issue. but what brackets would i need?

tjblair
03-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Going on what? A Cherokee?
You CAN NOT just bolt those to the unibody. You need the brackets that I told you I had. The first good tug will pull the bolts through the sheet metal.
No, I think they are going on his ford. I think .

Mykal
03-24-2010, 09:36 PM
my truck is a real truck. has a real frame. so i dont have the unibody issue. but what brackets would i need?

Ok good luck to you. I hope that your real frame is real solid. :thumbsup:

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
dont be sensitive Mykal. i was just saying it has an actual frame.

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 09:41 PM
A reason why you dont see any holes up top is because the frame is possibly tapped.

what does that mean?

tjblair
03-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I think he means that there is possibly a captive nut in the frame.

jlovbasz3
03-24-2010, 09:46 PM
"frame is possibly tapped" meaning that the holes in the frame might have threads

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 09:48 PM
ah. ok. ill have to pull the bumper to see for sure. the frame is boxed but open at the front. from looking at the bottom, i dont think it is. ill look tomorrow

tjblair
03-24-2010, 09:50 PM
You are going tho have those sticking out the front of the bumper ya know?

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 09:52 PM
yeah theyll stick out a little bit. theyre a temporary fit. ill be getting a front mount hitch later on.

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 09:53 PM
actually, i dont think it will stick out too much. the holes are pretty far back under the frame. it should actually just barely stick out.

tjblair
03-24-2010, 09:55 PM
actually, i dont think it will stick out too much. the holes are pretty far back under the frame. it should actually just barely stick out.
Yes! what if who ever is pulling you our can't get directly in front of you, and has to pull at an angle? they will tear up your bumper.

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 09:58 PM
theres a pretty big gap there where the hooks would be. i wouldnt think it would be back far enough to actually damage the bumper. but thanks for bringing it up. ill have to make sure of that when i get the hooks friday.

jlovbasz3
03-24-2010, 10:07 PM
here ya go http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Factory-Tow-Hooks-New-F150-98-99-00-01-02-03_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a812d283QQitemZ230 453072515QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 10:12 PM
but again, where would there be brackets or something. ive seen those hooks before. but id rather have open ended ones.

tjblair
03-24-2010, 10:14 PM
but again, where would there be brackets or something. ive seen those hooks before. but id rather have open ended ones.
Those bolt right to the frame
and why do you need open ones?

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 10:17 PM
ah. and because i figure its easier to use the open ones rather than the closed hoop ones.

pittim
03-24-2010, 10:18 PM
ah. and because i figure its easier to use the open ones rather than the closed hoop ones.
until the slack comes off the rope and it falls out the open end

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 10:20 PM
hmmm. then how do you use the closed loop with the strap with a closed loop? im missing something apparently really simple

tjblair
03-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Just loop the strap through itself or get a shackel.

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 10:21 PM
DBreak. Stick with the factory tow points. They'll be easier to install and they'll be rated better than anything you're thinking of fabing up right now. Then, if you want to, upgrade to a bumper or aftermarket tow points so that it's done correctly.

Closed hoop is stronger and safer. Just pick up a D-ring shackle and use that to mate your strap to the tow point. JMO.

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 10:23 PM
ah. d-ring. i remember. i knew i was forgetting something. ill go ahead and order those rings. fords tow hooks were some beefy sob's. i just couldnt find a set below 75. but thanks jimbo. im ordering those now

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Before you order them, look into it to make sure there's not a separate bracket or something required. That way you don't run into troubles later on. Seriously look around and see if there's an F150 forum so you can search for whatever questions you might have.

There are a ton of different types of vehicles here on the site, but most of us have strictly jeep, toyota, scout or whatever, forums that we go to to learn about them. Just a tip. :)

tjblair
03-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Before you order them, look into it to make sure there's not a separate bracket or something required. That way you don't run into troubles later on. Seriously look around and see if there's an F150 forum so you can search for whatever questions you might have.

There are a ton of different types of vehicles here on the site, but most of us have strictly jeep, toyota, scout or whatever, forums that we go to to learn about them. Just a tip. :)
Those bolt to the frame. I take those off quite often to install brushguards:021: I have a set of chrome onesoff of a newer frod under my tool box right now.lol

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Those bolt to the frame. I take those off quite often to install brushguards:021: I have a set of chrome onesoff of a newer frod under my tool box right now.lol

lol, sweet!

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 10:42 PM
there is some mounting hardware. i dont know where to find it. ill probably just call ford tomorrow ans see if they have the hardware. and get the ones from ebay

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 10:44 PM
or maybe ill look at my truck and maybe the hardware is still there. i dunno. we'll see. worst case id like the other ones on for the weekend. i did fine without them last weekend. but i dont wanna hear a bunch of bit*hing at me sunday lol

Deadman 94 xj
03-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Do what you want. Just be safe and know what you're doing. I had a tow point shear off a bumper before. I was lucky it didn't hit the person I was pulling behind me.

tjblair
03-24-2010, 10:48 PM
there is some mounting hardware. i dont know where to find it. ill probably just call ford tomorrow ans see if they have the hardware. and get the ones from ebay
don't bother with the dealership. Just take your truck to fasten-all and get some grade 5 or better bolts. I can't remember if the older fords have captive nuts in the frame for the t-hooks,Or if they used a tab nut. but either way if there is no threads in the frame you should be able to get in there to just nut and bolt it.

Dick.Breakey
03-24-2010, 10:52 PM
thats a good point. ill just do that. but i think ill turn right around and sell the tow hooks i ordered today. good thing i only wasted $35 for it.

cityslicker
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
DBreak. Stick with the factory tow points. They'll be easier to install and they'll be rated better than anything you're thinking of fabing up right now. Then, if you want to, upgrade to a bumper or aftermarket tow points so that it's done correctly.

Closed hoop is stronger and safer. Just pick up a D-ring shackle and use that to mate your strap to the tow point. JMO.
x2

Sloth_Fratelli
03-25-2010, 12:48 PM
i just put a front reciever on mine and im really glad i chose that over just towhooks, the thing is damn solid and with the d-ring reciever i put on it it has three tow points. if you go that way, make sure you have extra sockets incase you break one taking your sway bar off :flipoff2:

plus, im not sure how much id trust the reciever for this, but theres an attachment for a winch plate which is what mine is actually designed for, not towing.

Dick.Breakey
03-25-2010, 02:42 PM
i got the factory hooks on the way. i emailed the guy and said i want them and i want them now. so i paypal'd him and now they are on the way to me. should be here tomorrow or saturday. thanks again jimbo. then ill go get the stuff i need to bolt em down. anyone want to buy those other j hooks i bought??? haha

Dick.Breakey
03-25-2010, 02:43 PM
plus, im not sure how much id trust the reciever for this, but theres an attachment for a winch plate which is what mine is actually designed for, not towing.

most of the ones i see are meant for that. to have the removable winch plate on it. i dont know how much id trust a 9k pull on it either haha. but to throw a d ring on the front of the hook seems goos to me.

Sloth_Fratelli
03-25-2010, 05:26 PM
most of the ones i see are meant for that. to have the removable winch plate on it. i dont know how much id trust a 9k pull on it either haha. but to throw a d ring on the front of the hook seems goos to me.

haha exactly what i did before i smashed up the side of my jeep pulling out of the garage. it wasnt very goose at all

Dick.Breakey
03-25-2010, 05:31 PM
haha exactly what i did before i smashed up the side of my jeep pulling out of the garage. it wasnt very goose at all

how did you do that? wreck the side of ur jeep in the garage?

pittim
03-25-2010, 11:08 PM
how did you do that? wreck the side of ur jeep in the garage?
probably the same way i slid into a tree behind my door.

unexplainable.

Dick.Breakey
03-25-2010, 11:58 PM
hahah. makes sense