PDA

View Full Version : Tons on my 7...Daydreaming

Sycotik Skier
03-25-2010, 10:38 PM
So I've been spending a lot of time reading builds on pirate and it's making me really want to put tons under my cj 7. A coworker offered to trade me an 80's chevy front d60 for my thirty five inch boggers. fourteen bolt rear is only a couple hundred right? If I could get 4.10s in both axles I could get by with out regearing right off the bat with 40's right? It wouldn't be optimal obviously but right now I have 35's and 3.54's. For simplicity reasons I'd stick with my leaf springs for now. Can you spring under tons? I read in Jp I think it was where they fit 40's with no lift on a yj by doing Highrise fenders in the front and moving the inner fender flush with the top of the tub in the rear. I was thinking something like that. If I decide to go tons they will need to be made somewhat street legal. I'd probably just start amassing parts and keeping my jeep drivable so I can actually wheel this summer so it'll be awhile before I start into this project, if i do.

limegreentj
03-25-2010, 10:45 PM
why dont you just get the ****er going and enjoy it for a little bit? LOL!

Sycotik Skier
03-25-2010, 10:53 PM
well yeah I'm going to. I'm just planning ahead because I have a feeling with my new engine and my boggers I'm going to be popping d30 shafts and locking hubs all summer.

limegreentj
03-25-2010, 11:04 PM
this is true...but you dont need tons...you could go smaller....i dunno

Sycotik Skier
03-25-2010, 11:09 PM
I was originally planning on running 44's but for the amount of work to put 44's in and be limited to a 36 or maybe a 37 I'd be better off just going to tons and running a 40" or so tire

Krod
03-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Advice: Gather all your parts before you start ripping the current rig down. 1-ton rebuild will put you in the neighborhood of $1000 in parts for a stock 60 and a disc-converted 14bFF. Just brakes, seals, bearings, King Pins, studs etc... no bling parts. Figure another 3k if you want high steer, 35 spline, lockers, gears, shafts etc...

Depending on the cost of axles, it can be done on the cheap if you just want to get tons, but depending on what you have now, and how built it is, you may just end up losing a ton of clearance for marginal strength (in the front 60 over a built 44). You could probably do 40's with 4.10's on the trail depending on your trans/transfer case gearing, but on the road might be another story.

Narrowing them to keep you legal on the road adds more $$ to the bill, although the 14B is easy to get down to 63" WMS-WMS with a SRW rear end and DRW hubs.

justin'sbig7
03-25-2010, 11:13 PM
well yeah I'm going to. I'm just planning ahead because I have a feeling with my new engine and my boggers I'm going to be popping d30 shafts and locking hubs all summer.

i ran a model 30 with a v8 and 35's for a few years without breaking a shaft and i only popped one hub. just wheel it. when you go to tons its gonna be a trailer queen

Krod
03-25-2010, 11:17 PM
i ran a model 30 with a v8 and 35's for a few years without breaking a shaft and i only popped one hub. just wheel it. when you go to tons its gonna be a trailer queen

or a hover-craft like mine LOL :042:

guy
03-26-2010, 01:58 AM
I was going to do the same thing to a cj 5 before I got the toyota. If you want to BS some time about what I was going to do send me a PM.

Peccavi18
03-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Really contemplate before you jump into this. I was the same way reading Pirate all the time and thought oh yeah I'll go 1-tons. Started getting parts one at a time, had a few of the big parts sitting around and broke my rear axle so figured why not go for it now, hahaha. Little did I know how quickly the other stuff all added up and how long this would take. Granted I am going for a custom, street "legalish" build, but I honestly wish I woulda either regeared, arb'd and cromo'd with new tires or just fixed it sold it and bought a prebuilt ton'd buggy/jeep and truck and trailer. Either way I would be out on the trails, and have alot more in the bank. I'm not saying don't do it, just really think about how much money and time you are willing to invest. If you have any questions I will gladly help out where I can.

Ps, as your adding the build $$ up don't forget to include a second car for while you are down for the build and also as your new dd. I personally never factored that in till I had to buy one. :biggrin:

Fourx4sr4me
03-26-2010, 05:04 AM
Sell your jeep and find one built already! There are tons of great rigs for sale and you will save some major coin! I know I would of saved a ton of money if I would of went this route. But hey at least I can get a sticker that says My rig was built not bought:081:

dan58
03-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Sell your jeep and find one built already!

Best advice in this thread! Go to the for sale section instead of Gen4x4 of Hardcore Jeep.

I look at 60s this way. If you wheel trails that require tires that are 37s and up (60 territory), you are more than likely not going to drive it home safely.

Christopher
03-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Sell the jeep, Buy a Chevy Blazer and bolt the 60/14 bolt under it, trim the fenders, done, and street legal. easy and cheap

CESCO
03-26-2010, 02:52 PM
If your breaking axles now like tooth picks, don't worry about it unless you want to be able to say that you have tons under your jeep. I ran 38.5 boggers on my d44 front and don't recall breaking an axle. I put the 36" irocs on and snapped alot of them. my point is that I would do harder trails with the smaller tires. I am not wanting to start a war on which tire is better. If you not comfortable doing trails that will prob end up destroying your body run what you have
thats my .02

YJBIZ
03-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I am currently in the process of building a Dana 44 front and a ford 9 rear. I just ordered my arb today for the front. I am putting new 4340 30 spline axles in the front. The rear is going to have the an arb in it also with the nitro axles. but I am only tryin to run 37's.

Sycotik Skier
03-26-2010, 08:54 PM
The point of me starting this thread was to get realistic numbers on whether it's worthwhile to go tons and what it'd really cost. I have a dd already so thats not a problem and I do want to keep it street legal because I don't foresee my 2wd 4 cylinder frontier towing my jeep. Maybe I should just sell my jeep and buy something already built. It's just hard for me to sell it after all the time and money i've spent on it recently. I do plan on wheeling it this summer with out tons. I've spent too much time/money on it recently to not enjoy it. I have already trashed one lock out hub and one u joint and both were with my 305 and no locker. We'll see how this summer goes. Maybe I'll just stick to 35's and build up my stock axles and see what happens. Thanks for all the input.

jlovbasz3
03-26-2010, 09:07 PM
60's are cool, but another thing to look into is the weight of the axel and the added stress on the frame.I know a guy who had 60's under his yj and they almost ripped them damn thing in half! So consider beefing up the frame.

justin'sbig7
03-26-2010, 09:20 PM
as far as cost, add up all the parts you want. figure in the cost of having the things installed that you cant do yourself. i figured to do the pair i have, just axles gears and lockers with hi steer was roughly $4000 in parts. not including kingpins bearings brakes etc. they arent cheap, thats for damn sure. i could do them cheaper, but this is built the way i would want with yukon shafts and gears, and arbs front and rear