PDA

View Full Version : Tuning a CB on a 1988 YJ

Ed_Lorentz
03-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a CB installed at Meridan Off-Road next week, but they are unable to tune it for me. Does anyone have the knowledge or the equipment to do this on here? Otherwise I'm going to have to hike the Jeep to I-80 and find this little shack that does it up there.

Thanks
Ed

Christopher
03-26-2010, 03:11 PM
I have the tuner thingy but no clue how to use it.
Probably best a pro does it. I have heard good things about that cb shop.

cityslicker
03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
you gotta tune a CB? how do you do that?

cityslicker
03-26-2010, 03:20 PM
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/Equipment/How-to-Tune-a-C-B-Radio-Antenna.htm

BAD_GNR
03-26-2010, 03:45 PM
All that you need is a SWR meter, about 20 bucks at Radio shack. Instructions are included with it. I have one, but have to work most of this weekend (already put in 60 hours this week), so if it can wait until next weekend, maybe I could help you.

If you do find an SWR meter, you basically want it between 1 and 1.5 IIRC. And to tune it, you want to SLOWLY remove parts of the metal coiling from around the top. The more you remove, the lower the number becomes, again, IIRC.

There's also a shack along 422 near Indiana that does it, about 15 minutes west of Indiana to be more exact.

Ed_Lorentz
03-26-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm in no hurry to get it tuned so I might take you up on your offer BAD GNR...I won't have the radio in until next wed anyways so I think your timetable works for me. What part of PGH do you live....I'm in Butler.

Ed_Lorentz
03-26-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't think we will have to cut wire...the antenna I have has an adjustable top so that you dont have to do that .....

tjblair
03-26-2010, 05:52 PM
I will be the one installing that. I believe I talked to you yesterday. I don't have a swr meter or I'd bring it in and tune it for you. Does the radio we are installing have an swr meter on it. ( some do ) if so I can probably get it close for you. Those in radio swr meters anen't that good. But it would probably be best to have a pro tune it. I take mine to 12 Volt it Barkeyville.

jim91303
03-28-2010, 03:21 AM
general rule is a SWR of below 2 on all channels, ideal is 0 on all channels.
meter needs tuned aswell, key mic and on cal. setting adjust til needle on meter is at 100% or to the far right. then put meter on swr ....
set radio to channel 1, key mic with meter set to swr ... make note of reading. do same on channel 40.

adjust anntena and test again. adjust at 1/16 to 1/32 of an inch at a time. when you get the lowest reading on channel 1 & 40 lock the antenna in.

adding a case ground at the dash can help. that is the simplest way to tune it.

also be sure you have a good ground at the antenna mount. even a 2nd wire ground here will help.

Ed_Lorentz
03-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Hey TJ...Thats awesome :-) Unfortunately it doesn't have an SWR...so I think I'm taking it to Barkeyville or just getting the SWR and doing it myself. Should be pretty easy install I have the rear light mount and a 5' firestik. I just don't like messing with the electrical stuff...Where would you suggest I mount it.

JIM - thanks for the advice.

Thanks
Ed

Doug 98TJ
03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Jeeps are hard to tune since there isn't much "ground plane" area. If you do an internet search on tuning an antenna, you can get an understanding on why you are matching the antenna to the vehicle and not the radio. When I drove over the road years ago, my "big" radio was in the shop and I had a cheap radio to use in the mean time and it worked just as good as the "big" radio, just didn't have the upper and lower channels/side band.

Ed_Lorentz
03-31-2010, 11:08 AM
TJ at Meridian is installing the CB today....This being the first time I've ever used their services I can say I'm quite impressed in their professionalism and service. I wanted to use a terramount to put the antenna on the tail light of the jeep. After dropping it off I got a call from Rob (the owner) telling me he didn't feel comfortable about it being there because of a potential damage issue and that I should reconsider using it. Because of this type of professionalism I probably save a couple hundred dollar repair later. KUDOS to Rob and TJ at Meridian.

tjblair
03-31-2010, 05:33 PM
No problem man, I hope you are happy with it. It looks good where it is, and I hooked you up with a mic clip I had laying around since you didn't have one. The antenna is nice and solid now. When it was on the Teraflex mount it was really flexing the tub. I think you will be much happier with where I put it on the spare mount.

tjblair
03-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Oh, and My name is Jeff. LOL I know I introduced my self as Tjblair, thats just how most people know me. Tj is just what I drive.LOL:004:

Ed_Lorentz
03-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Haha...Alright Jeff. I just assumed that since you introduced yourself like that your name was TJ, but I can't wait to see it right after I blow this popsicle stand. Thanks for hooking me up I appreciate it. Once I get the debit card back from the wife, I'm sure I'll be hanging out there alot so we'll probably get to be pretty good friends...Do you guys offer a gift suggestion catalog so I can drop hints to her..... :) Thanks again guys.

Ed_Lorentz
04-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Hey Jeff....I went to pick the jeep up yesterday and it wasn't there.....WTF...Just Kidding the radio looks awesome. Thanks for sticking the spare on there. I really appreciated it. My wife even remarked how awesome you guys were, and said I was allowed to spend money on the Jeep again :-) SCORE !!! ... Thanks guys !!! I'll be up to see you guys soon. What would you suggest the next mod be....I was thinking tow hooks, or maybe a brush guard. What do you think ??

Ed_Lorentz
04-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Alright....so instead of using gas money to go up north I broke down and got an SWR meter....Anyone want to help me tune this in? I've never done it before and would appreciate some help since I don't want to fry the radio.

Just let me know .