PDA

View Full Version : GM LS2 6.0L XJ Swap

GrimJeeper01
03-26-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm putting some very serious thought into an LS2 swap for my 2000 XJ.:080: It only has 102k miles and the engine runs great minus the typical 4.0 valve tap but i still find myself bored with it. Stroker kits are crazy expensive for the power gain and turbo and supercharger kit are even more rediculous. I'm going for an LS2 out a newer Vette or GTO and looking for a 4L60/65/70/80/85-E to mate behind it and then I'll be dumping my NP242 for an NP241OR. I found a good used tranmission on Craigslist for $300 and am still looking for a smashed up Vette/GTO and Rubi. I'm still trying to determine whether or not this is worth the amount of time and money I'll dump into this project. Opinions please?

jeepxj3
03-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Do it

Deadman 94 xj
03-26-2010, 10:10 PM
What he said.

ridgerunner97
03-26-2010, 10:15 PM
DO IT!!!! My buddy had an 01 Silverado with a 6.0, you won't be bored with it in an XJ LMAO you got a lot of work to do, better get crackin haha

Krod
03-26-2010, 11:29 PM
L67 ;)

justin'sbig7
03-27-2010, 08:13 AM
it would be sweet, do a cage and frame stiffeers though lol! a good hard stomp and kiss the windshield goodbye :045: (not trying to discourage you at all)

if you have the means.... DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTT!!!!! :066:

dan58
03-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Have you seen what a LS2 brings? I wouldn't touch it. Go with a LQ9. Hot Rod mag did an article about them and pulled nearly 400hp with a set of headers and a tune. You'll spend literally half.

Dick.Breakey
03-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Have you seen what a LS2 brings? I wouldn't touch it. Go with a LQ9. Hot Rod mag did an article about them and pulled nearly 400hp with a set of headers and a tune. You'll spend literally half.

x10000000000000000

you can have a sick 6.0 jeep for practically nothing.... minus 3kish haha

Krod
03-28-2010, 04:09 PM
What about the rest of the powertrain?

GrimJeeper01
04-03-2010, 07:56 AM
I was looking into the LQ9 option too but an LS2 pulls 400hp and 400ft lbs from the factory and i'm willing to drop the extra dough just because I don't want to regret anything down the road. I'm already fabbing up some cross braces and as for the rest of the powertrain I'm looking for a 4L60E or 4L65E and a Chevy NP241. A low miles LS2 with harness and D.B.W. pedal goes for about 5K. I'm hoping maybe if keep my eyes open I can find a good deal on one. Thanks for all the input guys.

dan58
04-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Why waste time with a 241? Go Atlas and be done with it. You'll need some beef for axles too because no D30 or 8.25 are going to hold up to more than double stock HP.

Krod
04-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Why waste time with a 241? Go Atlas and be done with it. You'll need some beef for axles too because no D30 or 8.25 are going to hold up to more than double stock HP.

exactly. Most guys are breaking the stock axles with 100,000 mile 4.0L's with 190 hp.

notmYJ
04-03-2010, 11:44 AM
I would go with the LQ9 then take the money you saved and put it towards axles first, then an Atlas. The 241 will work, wheras the axles will not. Also I would be looking for a 99-02 as well. They have the TPS mounted on the throttle body. The newer ones are mounted on the gas pedal. Might not be a big deal for some, I have a bad habit of flooding my floor panels over the tranny tunnel.

Sure there are ways around it, but I wanted to keep everything as stock as possible so as to keep parts availability easy.

I'm guessing you have already been hanging out over at ls1tech.com? If not, go there.... Lots of info.

GrimJeeper01
04-04-2010, 08:17 AM
As for the transer case..I'll see what I can run into. The thing is, the 241 is a factory case, therefore, they'll be laying around in peoples garages so they can sell them to me for next to nothing. :047: Plus, the 241 already has the correct VSS for the LS2's PCM. I've already found 4L80Es with under 75k on Craigslist for $300 from 3500 vans and crap. I like the Atlas idea but then I have the pain in the a$$ of routing 2 shifters. As far as axles go, I'm gonna just run them til they blow (probably on the 1st test drive! lol). Once the rear one goes i'm gonna try for a set of 44s that hopefully someone will have laying in their garage and wanna get rid of. I've put thought towards a 60 in the rear but I really don't think it's neccessary. I take the Jeep offroad but I really don't beat it...TOO bad. If anyone knows of anyone with any kind of parts or help that could be useful, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have alternate transportation while this is happening but...well...it's a tiburon and lets face it..who wants to drive a tiburon?? Thanks again for your help gentlemen.

GrimJeeper01
04-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Also, for the axles I've been putting serious thought toward a set of 44s out of a TJ Rubicon. How hard would a rear coil setup be?? Frankly I'm a little scared of screwing with suspension geometry..

dan58
04-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Wait. So you're saying you're not willing to do research on the 6.0 (FREE at ls1tech.com), then spend $4500 or more on an LS that will have nearly the same power as a motor that will cost less than half of that? Then you want to get a cheap t-case that "someone has laying around"? I'm sorry, but a 44 in the rear is not going to hold up to 400hp.

GrimJeeper01
04-04-2010, 09:33 AM
The LS2 has 55hp and 20 ft lbs over the LQ9, and it's all aluminum versus the cast iron block of the LQ9. I'm not trying to be an ass and I'm doing research and trying to work on a budget. The only reason I was stuck on the LS2 is because I'm willing to wait a little longer because I want something DIFFERENT. I don't want another run of the mill XJ with a 30 year old garbage 350 something like that. I want it to come out perfect and have no regrets down the road...though my wallet may hurt for a while. Regardless, this isn't gonna happen over night. I have an engagement ring to buy and a house to build. I'm determined though and this WILL happen..even if it is a stupid LQ9. Haha just kidding. Nothing wrong with an LQ9. Dan58, thanks and if you run across an LQ9 let me know, I haven't really been able to find one that someone's willing to give up, though there are LS2s all over? I'm completely open for opinions and I think I'm beginning to see that the LQ9 might actually be a better option.

dan58
04-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Go here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816884

Call and have it in a week.

Being different is fine, but being SMART gets you a lot further. LSx series swaps aren't really different at all. They're the engine to have, and frankly work awesome. They're the engine of choice for just about anyone doing a swap anymore. They're plentiful, powerful, and have a ton of aftermarket support.
I don't know why anyone would spend the $ on an LS to put in a rig, other than if they have deep pockets or absolute need to save the 100 pounds over the iron block. The accessories virtually all compatible. The LQ will save you a pile of money that's better spend on other things.

You also have the pretty rare option of the L92, which is an aluminum truck motor. It's basically the same thing as a LS3. Prepare to pay top dollar for it though.

GrimJeeper01
04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Wow thanks Dan. I really didn't know there was that much of a price difference. I was looking at the LS3. They make crazy power, but like you said, come with a big price tag too. I need to fish around and try to see what's involved with throwing a set of coils under the rear of my XJ too.

dan58
04-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Lots of options out there, and most of them are pretty good. Spend some time on the pbb and ls1tech.com and go nuts with the search.

DMG
04-04-2010, 02:53 PM
LKQ has 5.3s with 80k for under $1k all the time. Look on ebay. The LSX intake, exhaust, etc all work on the 4.8/5.3/6.0 truck motors.

GrimJeeper01
04-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks DMG, I worked at a GM dealership for a year and saw countless 5.3s come in with god awful piston slap that was deemed to be inherent to the 5.3. I've at least broadened my horizons past the LS2 and into the LQ9 and LS1. I have read on Novak that the vortech motors are too tall and do not fit under a factory XJ hood. With the price difference between the LS2 and the LQ9 I could get a cowl induction hood to pack everything under there.

red6rubicon
04-04-2010, 06:30 PM
6.0h's are ghey!

DMG
04-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks DMG, I worked at a GM dealership for a year and saw countless 5.3s come in with god awful piston slap that was deemed to be inherent to the 5.3. I've at least broadened my horizons past the LS2 and into the LQ9 and LS1. I have read on Novak that the vortech motors are too tall and do not fit under a factory XJ hood. With the price difference between the LS2 and the LQ9 I could get a cowl induction hood to pack everything under there.

Yeah, I heard my share of piston slap but the vortec 5.7 and the 3.4 were worse. Where did you work?

The LS1 intake goes right on the 5.3, btw. I am putting together a 5.3 for the T100. I still need the coilpacks, exhaust manifolds or headers, and a few other things.

red6rubicon
04-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I heard my share of piston slap but the vortec 5.7 and the 3.4 were worse. Where did you work?

The LS1 intake goes right on the 5.3, btw. I am putting together a 5.3 for the T100. I still need the coilpacks, exhaust manifolds or headers, and a few other things.
the LS1 intake does interchange but its a bit tight up front, plus the truck intake actually makes more torque(sure is ugly tho). I am running the truck intake but I am planning on turning it 180 to face firewall.
and if you do run a ls motor you will need a different oil pan and pickup (unless you gonna keep it pretty flat) the truck pan is fine but its purty deep!
I have a set of manifolds off an '05 6.0 if your interested

GrimJeeper01
04-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Red6Rubicon:......disagree..the 6.0 turns me on. Haha. I think I've opened up to the LS1 and definately the LQ9. I spent like 2 hours drooling over the L92 last night though..definately a sweet powerplant. Thanks for all the info.

DMG: I worked at Alexander Pontiac, Cadillac, & GMC in Sunbury, PA. Thanks for the info on the 5.3 but I think I'll opt for something else.

Sloth_Fratelli
04-05-2010, 11:05 PM
trying to work on a budget

can i borrow some of your budget? with all this talk of engine swap, rear coil conversion, 1 tons and i think i saw a whole new jeep thrown in there somewhere, my clutch, slave cylinder, and axle seal dont sound like much of a task:flipoff2:

hahaha just kidding. but on the real, DOOOOO IT BROHAN!

red6rubicon
04-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Red6Rubicon:......disagree..the 6.0 turns me on.
I'm glad cuz i was just joking:flipoff2:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/sickblugsx/027-5.jpg
I got my motor from tnscrambler on pirate, ordered it on a friday had it wednesday Justin was super easy to work with!

80glasscj
04-06-2010, 04:34 PM
more pics of this would be cool.

GrimJeeper01
04-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Sloth: This is actually my alternative to buying a TJ Rubicon. Instead of doing that I'll just build an insanely badass Cherokee. I had an 06 unlimited that I had to let go because I couldn't afford it at the time and I'm starting to get a little bored with my little XJ but I still love it to death and it's been great to me. I figure on putting between 10k to 15k into it before I have it where I want it. It should be pretty fun along the way.

Red6Rubicon: That is just plain sexy.....really nothing else I can say about that. Can I have 15 minutes behind the wheel?? Haha

13below0
04-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Take the 10 to 15 and buy another rig....... You will be ahead of the game and having fun in no time.

GrimJeeper01
04-08-2010, 01:18 PM
That thought has gone through my head.

Pros: Cheap, solid, 4.0, 5 spd TJs EVERYWHERE, parts half the price of the crap for my XJ, having an alternate vehicle (no more "oh shit, this is my daily driver").

Cons: Another insurance payment, and most of all...wife will kill me.

dan58
04-08-2010, 02:21 PM
That thought has gone through my head.

Pros: Cheap, solid, 4.0, 5 spd TJs EVERYWHERE, parts half the price of the crap for my XJ, having an alternate vehicle (no more "oh shit, this is my daily driver").

Cons: Another insurance payment, and most of all...wife will kill me.

PFT. Your wife will get over it. She SHOULD beat your hind end for putting 15K into an XJ that will have unibody crumpling issues though.

Best solution: sell XJ. Buy tow rig, trailer, and offroad truck on 1tons. Best thing I ever did in this sport.

Super Scout
04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
"Best solution: sell XJ. Buy tow rig, trailer, and offroad truck on 1tons. Best thing I ever did in this sport."

I think Dan just described the dream. When I get things in order that will be my next move...

Deadman 94 xj
04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
PFT. Your wife will get over it. She SHOULD beat your hind end for putting 15K into an XJ that will have unibody crumpling issues though.

Best solution: sell XJ. Buy tow rig, trailer, and offroad truck on 1tons. Best thing I ever did in this sport.

Either that or put 15K into uni-body reinforcement. :102:

:080:

dan58
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Either that or put 15K into uni-body reinforcement. :102:

:080:

But you still have a reinforced UB and no frame to build something right.

Deadman 94 xj
04-08-2010, 02:56 PM
But you still have a reinforced UB and no frame to build something right.

Eh, I agree. But, XJ guy's definition of right is different than "other" guy's definition of right. They both work.

GrimJeeper01
04-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Haha. I understand all of your points of view but I have no intentions of beating the hell out of this Jeep. This one's more for show than anything else to be completely honest. Now before you all point guns at my head, she'll still see the occassional weekend mudhole and a few trail rides now and then, just nothing too serious. Down the road I'd like to have another cheap ass CJ to beat the hell out of offroad. I had an 82 CJ-7 that I got for $1400 and loved it to death. PLUS, with a 6.0 she'll have enough snot to pull a little CJ. I know you guys aren't a big fan of the unibody and I understand that they certainly have their limits but with a little determination I can make it work.

dan58
04-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Eh, I agree. But, XJ guy's definition of right is different than "other" guy's definition of right. They both work.

Define work. There are VERY few XJs that are really built to run hard stuff weekend after weekend, and do it reliably. I honestly know of just one that falls in that category. By hard stuff, I mean upper black and red - nothing that a truck on 35s can do without winching.

Deadman 94 xj
04-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Define work. There are VERY few XJs that are really built to run hard stuff weekend after weekend, and do it reliably. I honestly know of just one that falls in that category. By hard stuff, I mean upper black and red - nothing that a truck on 35s can do without winching.

Dan, I'm not going to argue with you. You seem to not want to let this one go. You win. There are quite a few on Pirate right now being built. Maybe not your cup of tea but check it out. You might see what I'm talking about. I honestly could care less. :)

Edit: I guess my response was a little uncalled for. However I don't think defining the word "work" is as important as the word "right". There are plenty of XJ's that do that just fine. Vettboy, Goatman, Ashman, RCman, Yellaheep, JES, and a few others off the top of my head. There were a few at KOH. No, I don't know many locals that run those trails in a stock UB'd XJ.
What I mean by that is most of the guys that run upper blacks and reds don't have a unibody. Hell, many TJ's running those trails week after week don't have much frames left. A lot of XJ guys rebuild the center-rear portion of the UB by replacing it with channel or tube and go from there. Might not seem like the logical or "right" thing to do I guess but when you work with what you have I guess that's what you do. My comment of throwing 15K at the UB wasn't clear. (And for the women of POR, 15K was a joke)

Here's a cool thread for those that have never seen it:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50204&page=20

It's just a few XJ pics. The "good" ones are few and far between but they're in there.

I think an XJ would be an awesome candidate if he can fit the 6.0 in it. It's nice a light and the unibody might actually be a benefit in this application (they don't twist like frames do). I would recommend some plating up front and a set of UB stiffeners though.

GrimJeeper01
04-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Hey by the way if anyone in the area needs someone to inspect their Jeeps I have my state and emissions license if anyone needs a biased mechanic to inspect their vehicle. Lol

13below0
04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Best option is to buy my 1 ton stretched TJ keep the XJ and with the money left buy a real motor and by real I mean FORD. haha If you want to be different this is the best option. supercharged 4.6 cobra motor will fit right in. You dont need to switch axles for pass. drop front end its a win win. Hell if you buy mine we will even throw it on the dyno and tune it for free if you do a ford motor

GrimJeeper01
04-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm guessing Mr. One Ton Stretched TJ isn't street legal is he?? lol. How much are you looking for? Pictures? Honestly I'm FAR from a Ford guy but the sound of a cobra 4.6 always brings me to my knees.

red6rubicon
04-09-2010, 10:13 PM
more pics of this would be cool.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/sickblugsx/031-3.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/sickblugsx/011-9.jpg

GrimJeeper01
04-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Sheeezuss...

13below0
04-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Grim your 100% WRONG... The jeep is inspected and insured driven almost daily in summer. And always comes out for snow wheeling. I will PM you pics so Im not highjacking your thread. If you look at the links in my sig you will see both of the shops and what we do. That should give you a idea of the performance and fab stuff we do down here in Erie.

GrimJeeper01
04-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Damn. That thing's beautiful. Great balance of practicality and sheer beast. Though it makes me wanna cry..I'm thinking about selling my Jeep and buying a cheap tow rig and getting some bills paid off then buy a wrangler or CJ and go all out.

dan58
04-13-2010, 09:51 AM

I'm thinking about selling my Jeep and buying a cheap tow rig and getting some bills paid off then buy a wrangler or CJ and go all out.

I've heard that before. :041:

GrimJeeper01
04-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah pat yourself on the back smartass..damn it. Haha. So if anyone had a cheap fullsize truck they wanna sell, let me know. And if you're looking for an extremely clean 00 XJ Limited..hit me up. Thanks everybody. I guess I get to wear the asshat for not listening to Dan's idea before. Lol:asshat:

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
04-15-2010, 01:21 PM
if by any chance ur still interested in an ls2 get ahold of brian at jj's automotive in mt pleasent he'll give ya a hell of a deal on a low mile motor

2002wranglerX
04-16-2010, 05:29 PM

and 19 jeeps later this describes where i'm at :)

and it's awesome BTW

warwagon98xj
04-17-2010, 07:46 PM
dont laugh theres a jeep on naxja with a 5.3,4l80e/stak 300 and portals on 47s of course hes in utah so thats his daily road legal driver out there

GrimJeeper01
04-17-2010, 09:50 PM
47s on an XJ?? Oh my gawd.

Dragonslayer
04-18-2010, 06:56 AM
47s on an XJ?? Oh my gawd.

^X2, Get us some pic's of that beast.

Team Willys
07-04-2010, 07:29 PM
well, you aren't the first person to do this... I just finished a swap for a customer. You check it out here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1033464

red6rubicon
07-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I didnt read the thread but i did see the f-body pan was used good luck with oil control on step climbs! You should have used a truck pan or a kevco!

Team Willys
07-05-2010, 07:39 PM
That's not an F-body pan... if you would have read it you would have seen that its a pan for an H3 Alpha with a 5.3. It has baffles nearly identical to the full size truck pans. We had it pretty damn steep going up a hill, and also almost laid it over on its side a couple of times this last weekend on it's maiden voyage, and it never lost oil pressure. Always kept 40 PSI at idle, just like it has since we put it in.

Gah, I can't stand people who go blabbing about how something won't work when they didn't even read...

red6rubicon
07-05-2010, 09:39 PM
lmao my bad I read thru your link (not the whole thing) but I still would have bought a Kevco pan over the Vette engine cover! The 44 front/37's and the LS2 in my opinion make great sense as well? But overall from what I read you bought some motor swap parts from Novak and bolted in a motor?

Team Willys
07-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Yep, you read it all right. I bolted her in and turned the keys and it just fired right up. All of the 50 something wires just hooked themselves up, just like the shifters, plumbing, crossmember, etc.

Not trying to be a dick, but I only hit the major points in the thread. There's a lot more to one of these swaps than meets the eye. I did buy what I could only b/c of the time constraints. I built this whole Jeep in 2.5 months, so when I could save time by just buying a part that would work, I did. Its not just an engine swap though, we also did the whole suspension and put it on ORI struts all the way around.

The axles are as built as you can build them, RCV Shafts, ARB lockers, drive slugs, etc... the engine could break them, but anything can break. We beat the shit out of it over the weekend and everything worked great. There are only a few small issues that need resolving, and none of them are drivetrain related.

Krod
07-05-2010, 11:11 PM
I still would have bought a Kevco pan over the Vette engine cover!

Vette cover makes people think you have a corvette engine! DUH :flipoff2:

Team Willys,
Good for you. Looks like a clean swap, and I can appreciate the wiring involved. But why are you here? No one cares that you did it first! LOL

joshs1ofakindxj
07-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Very sweet! Good work team willys.

Team Willys
07-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Haha, I wasn't posting up to say that I was the first to do it (although as far as I know I was), but rather just to show that it could be done without hacking the jeep all to hell and back. Its tight, but does fit nicely.

Deadman 94 xj
07-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Good job noob!

ridgerunner97
07-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Noob here but not on NAXJA LOL :) Ive been following that build over there. How did you find us TeamWilly's? I like the build.

Team Willys
07-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I am constantly using Google to see if anybody else is doing the things I have done, such as an LS2 in an XJ, or an XJ with ORI struts at all 4 corners. While doing my weekly search, I stumbled upon this thread.

highlandercj-7
07-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Nice work Willys. That sounds like somehting that Vanco does with braking systems. Seems he's always around to help folks out. How much of a pain was the wiring harness?

Team Willys
07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Not too bad, but Have your A game on when you start it. Now that I have done one, I could do another one a lot easier, but it was quite challenging some days. I had to keep working at it until I had it all figured out, but it was completely worth it.

projeeper
07-13-2010, 06:32 PM
if your looking for a crashed vette/ with a good motor with tranny theres 1 at the end of dawn ave 3rd right coming out of liberty tunnels. go past the crashed vette to rorichs old garage the guys usally there evenings & he deals parts.if your lucky the nascar raced 68 stang will be back there

JunkJeep
07-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Really really really bad idea. Dont get me wrong, i own a 2000 z28 with the ls1 in it . too much power, too complicated. Awsome motor for a sports car, bad motor for 4x4. Seriously, you'll be balls deep into the project at $7,000, and thats just getting the motor bolted in and running. Your talking new ECM, fuel pump, ECS(to make it street legal, not that you care), Mounts Bell Housing (advance adaptors prob makes one $500+ i'm sure.). Then after you drive it on the street the first time your gonna need a bigger rear axle. Then after you take it wheelin the first time you'll need a new front axle/driveshafts/transfer case/ transmission. I've been through alot of motors and cars and found that if what your puttin it in cant handle the power, dont do it cuz it'll be a headache forever.

JunkJeep
07-13-2010, 07:26 PM
My .02(not that anyone cares) Get a 5.3 or like someone previously said the iron LQ9. 5.3'd be cheaper and not way too much power, or the LQ9 still too muchpower but cheaper, all iron, not like ur making a race car out of an suv with the ls1 or ls2. Still be super complicated and expensive to convert over to XJ.