PDA

View Full Version : My turn for a tire question

steveg0690
03-27-2010, 07:50 PM
My dad asked me to find him a set of tires for his truck. I have been looking for a while now for a good used set of 31-10.5-15's and have yet to find a set for a decent price. Now he is ready to just go ahead and get some new ones. This is a daily driven truck that doesn't go offroad unless I take it for an extra firewood truck.

I was looking into bfgoodrich at's on ntwonline, but I noticed that I can get super swamper tsl's for about the same price.

My question is, what tire is going to perform the best (last the longest is important as well)?

I've never ran a set of super swampers to know how they handle.

Any other suggestions are welcome as well. Also, ntwonline has free shipping this weekend, so time is not on my side if I decide to order them there.

Thanks,

Steve

SirFuego
03-27-2010, 07:56 PM
The BFG ATs sound like a perfect fit. They will last a lot longer than the Super Swampers. They will also ride A LOT smoother than Super Swampers. BFG ATs aren't as good offroad as the Swampers, but are perfect for mild offroading. The BFG ATs made virtually no road noise -- my swampers on the other hand literally were loud enough to the point that I could not hear my engine (I wasn't running a muffler, either).

IMO, I see no reason to get swampers for a vehicle that is going to see minimal offroading.

steveg0690
03-27-2010, 08:01 PM
I was thinking the same thing, I just know they would look great on there. I agree on the bfg at's the last set that I had did very well.

jeepjunkie
03-27-2010, 08:02 PM
swampers rule the trails but kind of suck on the street

tjblair
03-27-2010, 08:57 PM
FCII would be my choice.

Dick.Breakey
03-27-2010, 09:08 PM
those fcII's are sweet. those or bfg a/t. the fcII are better looking and will be better off road, from what i read in reviews not in experience, and will last almost as long. tire pressure is an issue tho. id just sat bfg a/t's and call it a day. there will be NO complaints there

338reezens
03-28-2010, 09:14 AM
If it is just a daily driven truck and doesnt see much offroad, you might want to check out some GENERAL GRABBERS AT 2's. They are a pretty good tire and are not expensive. i have never used the grabber, but i have some buddies that still use them and i have rode with them and they love the grabbers. definatety dont buy the TSL's, unless you plan on rotating them every time you go for a drive and like constant noise. The TSL's are great for offroad though, i loved mine for offroad.

muddeprived
03-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Avoid swampers on a DD unless you are made of money and can replace em every year. Interco does make an all terrain tire and also the sts version which would be ok for a DD.

How do swampers handle?

(starts vehicle)
(places shifter in D)
(starts moving)
(thump....thump.....thump thump thump.....)
(thumping increases with speed)
(every loose object in jeep rattling and shaking)
(lower lip and gut wobbling in sync with the thumping)
(8.2 earthquake confirmed on richter scale)
(earthquake slowly smoothes out...)

That's basically how they ride. :)

and the noise....oh that's a whole notha story......

steveg0690
03-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Cool, I didn't know they would ride that bad. I just like the looks of them. I'll stay away from them for his truck then.

I have seen the grabbers, nice looking tire. It does look like a good AT, I just forgot about them.

muddeprived
03-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Cool, I didn't know they would ride that bad. I just like the looks of them. I'll stay away from them for his truck then.

I have seen the grabbers, nice looking tire. It does look like a good AT, I just forgot about them.

yeah bias ply tires flat spot overnight or when you park it for a short time.

SirFuego
03-28-2010, 01:03 PM
How do swampers handle?

(starts vehicle)
(places shifter in D)
(starts moving)
(thump....thump.....thump thump thump.....)
(thumping increases with speed)
(every loose object in jeep rattling and shaking)
(lower lip and gut wobbling in sync with the thumping)
(8.2 earthquake confirmed on richter scale)
(earthquake slowly smoothes out...)

That's basically how they ride. :)
So true.

and the noise....oh that's a whole notha story......
Yeah, on a mufferless ZJ, the tires drowned out any engine noise at around 20 mph. It's sorta weird being able to feel the transmission shift, but not actually hear the RPMs change.

Macabre
03-28-2010, 07:18 PM
I DD on TSL SSR's and love them. Not saying they are the best choice here but mine do extremely well all year round both on and off road. They have about 18,000 miles and still a lot of tread.

Dick.Breakey
03-28-2010, 08:23 PM
my cooper discoverer stt's did fantastic today, ride great on the freeway, and with proper inflation should get 20k plus with a good bit of wheeling

Dick.Breakey
03-28-2010, 08:24 PM
but i think for a dd, the bfg a/t's are really hard to beat. theres a reason why they are on EVERYTHING and sell like crazy

PAFirefighter49
03-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Pep Boys has Definity Dakota A/T's with a 50,000 mile tread warranty. I run the M/T version and LOVE them.

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-30-2010, 01:49 AM
ive had 31" BFG A/T KOs on the ZJ for about 4 years now and they still look brand new.. it sat for a year but other than that.. it gets driven everyday.. rotate them and check PSI often and you'll be fine with the BFGs.. and yes they are on everything and they do sell like crazy

Mack
03-30-2010, 01:57 AM
and yes they are on everything and they do sell like crazy

He's not shitting, either. I have two on my truck, my cousin had them on his truck and I see them everywhere. I don't think they would sell like that if they sucked. I have them on the rear of a 2wd Ford and though they are almost bald, they worked fine..........until the clutch went out.

Personally I like the BFG's. I'd recommend them.