PDA

View Full Version : I need solid axle swap help....

radojim
03-28-2010, 01:21 PM
so i F'd up the front end of my colorado pretty bad - the front drive shaft is sitting in my bed.

was talking to deadman tom about it and he strongly recommended an SAS. he said that there are alot of people on here that could help me out or atleast get me headed in the right direction.

tom mentioned a couple axles that might work out for me but after attempting to drown my sorrows i forget which ones he said. i currently have stock 3.73 gears but would consider 4.10s

any thoughts/ideas would really help out as im pretty new to this, thanks guys.

village_idiot
03-28-2010, 01:35 PM
a toy axle or waggy dana 44 would be a good axle for your truck as you are on a 6 lug rear axle. SOA the rear, SOA'd yj springs in the front, you have rack and pinion steering, so your going to need a steering box, the chevy astro box is your best bet for that. i would go over to s10 forum and look at some of the SAS'd s10 builds. i searched last night, and i cant find anyone that has sas'd a h3 of colorado. your gonna need a front crossmember for the spring mounts, most s10 guys use a SKY's manufacturing kit for either the s10 or the toyota. depending on how your oil pan is ( if it hangs down allot) you might need a new one. the size of tire you want to run is the biggest deciding factor on most of this build.

mxg342
03-28-2010, 01:57 PM
SOA and waggy axles don't work too well. It can be done but really not worth it for the price of a chevy housing.

radojim
03-28-2010, 02:12 PM
do the toyota & waggy ( = wagoneer??) axles have the gear housing on the passenger side??

would any sas make the front higher then the back? id rather not touch the back if i didnt have to...

any of these work?
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1665026550.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1664631059.html

Powerguy37
03-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Like I said in Deadmans post, do a lot of research into this. It will take a lot of fabrication to make it work. A lot of money too unless you can do a lot of the work yourself.

The truck will handle and ride diferently and you may have to do soemthing to the rear so it sits level. It all depends on how you do it.

village_idiot
03-28-2010, 02:53 PM
do the toyota & waggy ( = wagoneer??) axles have the gear housing on the passenger side??

would any sas make the front higher then the back? id rather not touch the back if i didnt have to...

any of these work?
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1665026550.html
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1664631059.html
nope. start looking on pirate at all hte SAS'd trucks you can to get an idea of what your gonna get your self into.

tjblair
03-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Fix the IFS. Your not going to trail ride a colorado anyway, so why spent all the time/money on a sas for a dd. Fix the IFS and go buy your self a trail rig if you want to wheel.

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Fix the IFS. Your not going to trail ride a colorado anyway, so why spent all the time/money on a sas for a dd. Fix the IFS and go buy your self a trail rig if you want to wheel.

Jim, listen to Dana. And Jeff, there's nothing wrong with SAS on a Colorado if he chooses that route. There's no law that say we all have to wheel a freakin Jeep.

tjblair
03-28-2010, 03:58 PM
I never said there was anything wrong with it. But a Colorado is not a very good base to start from for a wheeler. espiceally if you still plan on it being your dd. Nor did I say go buy a jeep:102:

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 04:00 PM
I never said there was anything wrong with it. But a Colorado is not a very good base to start from for a wheeler. espiceally if you still plan on it being your dd. Nor did I say go buy a jeep:102:

You did in my thread.

The topic is SAS, not which vehicle do you prefer...

radojim
03-28-2010, 04:02 PM
im just freaking out.... it is my dd, i guess i need a better idea of how much time/effort and $$$ this would take.

id like to keep it somewhat mild. maybe swap out the 3.73s for 4.10 while its apart incase i would go to 35''s

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Jim, Dana did it to his.

http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13448

Based on that I'd say just fix what's under it. Wifey is not gona be happy lol.

tjblair
03-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Yes I did. And I was JOKING.
And on the topic of SAS. Why would you spend the money to SAS a Colordo that you intend to drive daily. You could just fix it. And spend the $3000 or so that spend on the SAS and buy Somthing(See I didn' say jeep) that would make a decent trail rig.

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Yes I did. And I was JOKING.
And on the topic of SAS. Why would you spend the money to SAS a Colordo that you intend to drive daily. You could just fix it. And spend the $3000 or so that spend on the SAS and buy Somthing(See I didn' say jeep) that would make a decent trail rig.

That was the question. To me it would cost a lot more to have a shop fix/replace the IFS than to SAS the truck but apperantly I was wrong.

That said, if he does SAS the truck anyway, I don't see anything wrong with it. What's wrong with a SAS on a colorado? Just because it's a DD isn't a good enough argument IMO.

tjblair
03-28-2010, 04:17 PM
I just think that the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Like on a jeep :flipoff2:

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 04:21 PM
LOL. I know. He loves the truck just like we love our jeeps though. He already has a step above me with the frame. But he has a step above you with the nice wheelbase :flipoff2:

:082:

tjblair
03-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Thats fine, he can love it all he wants. They make great daily drivers. But it is going to take a hell of a lot more than a SAS to make it ready for any thing other than the stock trail. And If that is all he intends to do with it is light trails he could do that with the IFS.

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 04:32 PM
In your opinion. You forgot to add that part.

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Back on topic, since we already got jeffs take on it. Thanks Jeff.

If anyone has anything constructive to add regarding the SAS swap, it would be appreciated.

tjblair
03-28-2010, 04:40 PM
:finger:

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Ooh is Jeff mad again lol. *****.

tjblair
03-28-2010, 04:43 PM
No, I'm not mad, I don't give a $hit let him waste all the money he wants.

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 04:47 PM
You're a fawking idiot. Somebody askes about a SAS and you give him shit about it not being a jeep. Nice. Get the fawk out of the thread if you don't have anything else to say.

village_idiot
03-28-2010, 04:54 PM
jeff, an SAS, if deals are found, can be done rather cheaply. the main components that are needed for his truck should be a steering box, axle, a set of leaves, brake lines, shocks, drive shaft, and steel. an astro box can be had for 45 bucks, i have some leaves ill sell to him for 30-40 bucks depending on if its the s10 or yj leaves, brake lines max like 65 bucks, 1-2 hundred for shocks, probably like 200 bucks for a d-shaft, 500 bucks for steel, and 500 bucks for a toy axle. if he knows how to weld and use a measuring tape, everything else should fall into place pretty easily. if it was me i would look at s10 and toy builds for some ideas. and before anyone starts on me about not knowing what im talking about, when i bought my s10, i started researchin SFA on s10s up until the night i wrecked it, thats like 9 months of reasearch.

tjblair
03-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Your the Idiot telling him to spend a shit pile of money on a SAS, when he can probably fix the IFS for less than $500.
Like I said before If all he intends to do is light trails the IFS is fine. And since he doesn't want to touch the rear I assume those are his plans.

Who's mad now Tom?

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Your the Idiot telling him to spend a shit pile of money on a SAS, when he can probably fix the IFS for less than $500.
Like I said before If all he intends to do is light trails the IFS is fine. And since he doesn't want to touch the rear I assume those are his plans.

Who's mad now Tom?

All he was doing was light trails before you fawking dipshit. He wanted info on the SAS.

And yeah, nobody would recommend SAS after a IFS break :021: WOW.

tjblair
03-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Get bent Tom. go spend your buddys money on somthing worth while.

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Like a 4 banger on a LP30 and a D35? LOL. Give me a break. Worth while...

village_idiot
03-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Get bent Tom. go spend your buddys money on somthing worth while.
like an astro van. on 34s and a d-44 in hte front?
http://www.astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8&sid=77384d56f22377bf533f530216a523ec

tjblair
03-28-2010, 05:18 PM
**** you Tom. don't get all butt hurt because I told your friend what to most people is common sence. Why drop the money on an SAS when you can fix the IFS for $500. When it doesn't sound like this guy is willing to drop the coin to make this thing a serious wheeler anyway. And just because he blew up the IFS doesnt mean that he wouldnt have blown up the SA if it had one.

Deadman 94 xj
03-28-2010, 05:20 PM
:023: Right on Jedi...

Krod
03-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Has anyone even bothered to ask for pictures of WHAT he broke, or how he broke it??? :115:

I saw differential housing mentioned...that can be fixed for less than he'll have into an SAS and additional mods for the rear to level it out. I don't understand the other 20+ posts of arguing and dick swinging???

radojim
03-28-2010, 05:32 PM
hey didnt mean to piss everybody off. just looking for thoughts, and yes opinions, which i do appreciate.

as much as i would love a 'serious wheeler' i do need to keep it mild.

Krod
03-28-2010, 05:36 PM
hey didnt mean to piss everybody off. just looking for thoughts, and yes opinions, which i do appreciate.

as much as i would love a 'serious wheeler' i do need to keep it mild.

You're fine. You asked a question and got the answer to another debate. Whats your intentions for the truck after you fix the breakage? Going bigger soon, or just a good DD/weekend wheeler?

tjblair
03-28-2010, 05:41 PM
You didn't piss me off. But IMO if you have to keep it mild Fix what you have and save your money to build a good trail rig If you want one. And yes I think a jeep would be your best choice, but there are plenty of other vehicles out there that would be a better platform to start from. rather than trying to make a wheeler out of your DD.

radojim
03-28-2010, 05:46 PM
You're fine. You asked a question and got the answer to another debate. Whats your intentions for the truck after you fix the breakage? Going bigger soon, or just a good DD/weekend wheeler?
maybe a glorified weekender?? nothing bigger then 35's and 6-8''

You didn't piss me off. But IMO if you have to keep it mild Fix what you have. And save your money to build a good trail rig If you want one. And yes I think a jeep would be your best choice, but there are plenty of other vehicles out there that would be a better platform to start from. rather than trying to make a wheeler out of your DD.
i agree but cant your dd have a sfa??

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/radojim/DSC01659.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/radojim/DSC01661.jpg

Powerguy37
03-28-2010, 05:47 PM
I drove my IFS truck for 7+ years and did all levels of trails. I ran some blue-black stuff at RC and Paragon many times.
http://www.westpaxterraclub.com/PGallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4393&g2_serialNumber=1

You can do a lot with IFS and the right driver. IMO, skill is almost as important as the vehicle. If he's new to off-roading, I say drive it like it is for a few years and gain the experience. Then when you outgrow the IFS, do the SAS.

It is a fairly big undertaking and it took me about a year to work out the bugs and get it where it is now.

tjblair
03-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes your dd can have a solid fornt axel. But is it worth your time and money? IMHO it isn't. It is gona cost you alot more money to SAS, as opposed if fixing the IFS. And you are going to give up ride quality.

radojim
03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
well, thanks guys for the entertaining insight on this topic but i believe i should go the practical route and just fix what i have....

mxg342
03-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Nice Carnage!

tanz45
03-29-2010, 01:41 PM
I SAS'd my 99 1500 with a 3 link. It does cost money and time (obviously). It's your rig and do as you please man.

Oh and the 99 is for sale now with a bad tranny. Just throwin it out there.

And it was DD'd until that happened....800 miles after done. :(

Muzikman
03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Go to the junk yard, find a matching front diff and maybe half shafts, put it back together for probably less than $1000 and one day of wrenching.

Going the SAS route you need to do a ton of research, a ton of modification and a ton of fabrication. It's going to lost a lot more in the end, not handle nearly as well for a daily driver. A blown front diff is not a big deal.

If you are worried about blowing the diff again, poke around on some Colorado forums and see if you can squeeze a larger diff upfront (from maybe a 3/4 ton pickup).

What year and model is it?

Muzikman
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Oh, and I assume the Colorado has the I5? If so, forget about 35's unless you go deep on gears. Read up on the H3 forums, the thing is a dog on 35's.

pittim
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
It's simple.

If you have aftermarket suspension, fix your IFS.

If you're stock and thinking about lifting it, SAC.

Lifting IFS is expensive (for what I want it would be $2000 for the front :() so might as well put that money towards everything you need for the SAC.

Super Scout
03-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Pittim brings up a good point. When you you look at it from the POV. You will still have more money in a SAS but you will be lifted and far more capable. I was going to lift my 96 chevy and after researching everything I came to the conclusioun money would be better spent on a SAS. I sold the truck in the end. Point is no one on this bored is familar with colorados, so you just gotta do some reseach. Its a pita but its the best advice I can give you. On my 96 I had figured about 2,000 for a lift kit and close to 3,000 grand for a SAS but that was using a kit money can be saved if you know how to fab stuff up.

Lumpy
03-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Just fix the IFS both my truck and 4Runner are IFS and do quite nicely. I don't seen a need for you to go through the headache of a SAS right now. If you just want a DD that is trail worthy you can build it up a bit at a time and have a very capable rig. Then when you get to the bigger stuff grab an older Toy or a Jeep (I prefer Toys, not knocking Jeeps either) and build that up. You will find more parts for cheep going that route. Or even get a Zuk.

radojim
03-29-2010, 07:59 PM
well guys i found out why i have no power steering....
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/radojim/DSC01662.jpg
$588 on gmpartsdirect.com
that plus the $250ish for the front diff housing plus new ring and pinion all from same website im already over 1K....

Lumpy
03-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Wow...so how the hell did you do all that/??

Krod
03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
NICE CARNAGE!!! :023:

...so what's the verdict? SAS?....Fix it?

radojim
03-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Wow...so how the hell did you do all that/??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7d265CoDCk

NICE CARNAGE!!! :023:

...so what's the verdict? SAS?....Fix it?
i want the sas, wifey doesnt

Lumpy
03-29-2010, 08:33 PM
What a mess...didn't seem like you were hitting all that hard??? That just sucks.

Krod
03-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Video has the best commentary I've ever heard before carnage LOL
:082::082::082:

OOHHHH YEEEAAAHHHHH :035:
OOHHHHH ....SHIT! :103:

Its like Randy Macho-Man Savage meets Fergie from the Black eyed Peas :037:

radojim
03-29-2010, 08:41 PM
question:
while the truck is parked i can reach into my blown the F up front diff and freely turn the gear.
does this mean while im driving just the wheels (only talking front) are spinning or are my front axles as well??

please excuse my noobness

tjblair
03-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Axels are spinning I believe

radojim
03-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Axels are spinning I believe
that being the case, how long do i have to drive around with no fluid in there??
thats my only way to work

Deadman 94 xj
03-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Jim have you looked around for used parts yet?

Deadman 94 xj
03-29-2010, 08:50 PM
that being the case, how long do i have to drive around with no fluid in there??
thats my only way to work

I'd be more worried about the transfercase fluid. The diff is already gone :)
Maybe pull the ring gear?

radojim
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
probably going to junk yards saturday.

what does pulling the ring gear do?

Deadman 94 xj
03-29-2010, 08:59 PM

I would think it wouldn't put any wear on the axles driving around without fluid. That's if the axles are even still in contact with the ring gear. If you're spinning it freely than it might not even be engaged.

Then again. I don't know sheet about your diff.

tjblair
03-29-2010, 09:03 PM
The axels are turning but just freewheeling. Like Tom said I would make sure the t-case is not loosing fluid. The rack is another story. If you have been diving it around I would think that the pump is already junk.
looking at the vid it was the hopping that did you in, those are definitly not built to well (duh) I don't know what to tell you man. with all the parts that you are adding up now. it definitly not going to be a cheap fix. but lets just say that you SAS it. whats going to go next? t-case rear end? who knows. you may have to end up rebuilding the whole damn thing. Im not trying to bag on your rig, but you may be farther ahead to fix it, and not wheel it (it aparently cant take much abuse. and if you want to wheel go buy somthing that you can beat on and not cae if you break. Or atleast not be stuck without a dd.

tjblair
03-29-2010, 09:08 PM

Not much, the carrier is still going to freewheel. IIRC those are just like the full size diffs. they disconect on the passenger side axel. so no matter what the drivers side axel is still splined to the carrier> I would think that you risklocking up the drivers side carrier bearing and screwing up the drivers axel.

Deadman 94 xj
03-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey Jeff, Now that you're on, I'd like to act like a fag and offer an apology for jumping down your throat. I'm not normally a spazzzz.

:008:

(ok, back on topic)

tjblair
03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey Jeff, Now that you're on, I'd like to act like a fag and offer an apology for jumping down your throat. I'm not normally a spazzzz.

:008:

(ok, back on topic)
All good man. And I wasn't trying to be an :asshat:to your buddy I was just being honest.
And Im sorry too man.

Deadman 94 xj
03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
All good man. And I wasn't trying to be an :asshat:to your buddy I was just being honest.
And Im sorry too man.

I know. What you said made sense. Ok, enough :flamer: shit lol.

radojim
03-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Im not trying to bag on your rig

its cool man. i need to hear from both sides

Lumpy
03-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Ahhhh I love happy endings...:109: :052:

Lumpy
03-29-2010, 09:26 PM
So then what he has there would be what Toyota considers ADD: Automatic Disengaging Differential. If that's the case then I agree you risk locking it up and creating a bigger mess.

radojim
03-29-2010, 09:26 PM
how about this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_dP9UplihE
haha, sorry tom

Deadman 94 xj
03-29-2010, 09:33 PM
how about this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_dP9UplihE
haha, sorry tom

LOL. The jeep was never supposed to be out in the first place! Good times though, other than that friggin country music haha.

tjblair
03-29-2010, 09:36 PM
So then what he has there would be what Toyota considers ADD: Automatic Disengaging Differential. If that's the case then I agree you risk locking it up and creating a bigger mess.
IIRC, Its not automatic. the passenger side has a longer shaft that has an electric actuater on it. then it goes into the CV shaft which is splined to the hub. the drivers side the CV shaft pretty much bolts right to the diff.

ridgerunner97
03-29-2010, 09:38 PM
LOL. The jeep was never supposed to be out in the first place! Good times though, other than that friggin country music haha.

What the hell is wrong with Country music man!?! :003:

Lumpy
03-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Well I'm really confused then. Because I didn't think they would be manual and having a electric actuator? I'll just agree, I'm not a Chevy guy and I don't have anything nearly that new to worry about. :119:

Deadman 94 xj
03-29-2010, 09:42 PM
What the hell is wrong with Country music man!?! :003:

Haha. Nothing I guess. I'm a metal guy. I give them shit about it all the time lol. I like some country but just the old stuff. The new stuff is :flamer::043:

tjblair
03-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Well I'm really confused then. Because I didn't think they would be manual and having a electric actuator? I'll just agree, I'm not a Chevy guy and I don't have anything nearly that new to worry about. :119:
The actuator enguages the front axel.( kind of like a CAD axel on a yj, Or fords used to be run by vacume) and the t-case is either run manually or by a E-motor.

ridgerunner97
03-29-2010, 09:47 PM
I couldn't agree more! All this newer pop country blows major dick, wonder what Waylon, Merle, and Cash thought about it :)

Deadman 94 xj
03-29-2010, 09:48 PM
I couldn't agree more! All this newer pop country blows major dick, wonder what Waylon, Merle, and Cash thought about it :)

Exactly!

tjblair
03-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Don't forget Willie

Muzikman
03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Junkyard it man.

car-part.com is your friend.
http://www.car-part.com/

Don't try replacing the housing and then the internals. Just get an entire front diff from a junk yard. Same with the R&P an power steering pump (if it's bad).

A quick search for a front diff for a 2008 Colorado (no idea what year or model you have), you are looking at between $350-$800 depending on mileage and gear ratio that you have.

For the Rack and Pinion you are looking at between $175-$500 depending on model and mileage.

If you need it, you are looking at about $150 and $250 for the front driveshaft depending on model and mileage.

You are looking at about $100-$150 for the power steering pump depending on mileage.

$125-$225 each will get you the front axle shafts.

If the transfer case is shot, that's going to come in at a pretty penny. Between $700 and $1200.

I still think the smart move is keep the IFS and put it back the way it was...and don't beat the piss out of it...

80glasscj
03-30-2010, 12:24 PM
if the truck is a newer colorado is it under some kind of warranty ? i didn`t see anything in this thread about that, or i might have missed it. if so i would try to get it warrantied if possible. if not i would def go the fix it the way it sits route rather that swap. i have done the swap before, and it takes a long time and a lot of money and trial and error. if it is your dd you will be without it for at least a month IMO. car-part.com is your best bet if there is no warranty help.

Krod
03-30-2010, 06:47 PM
if the truck is a newer Colorado is it under some kind of warranty ?

Think they'd even consider warrantying that? Seems like 100% operator abuse and looks like it from the pics...(i.e. not covered...even by Jeep)

tjblair
03-30-2010, 07:12 PM
I didn't think that he was abusing it that hard. Not saying that they would cover it. butI would take that vid to the dealership and show them just how easy their shit explodes. I mean If I built and sold somthing that broke that easy I would be really embarrassed.

Lumpy
03-30-2010, 07:18 PM
I really doubt they'd even consider covering that especially if they saw the vid. The 4x4 especially the newer 4x4 aren't really meant to do what we like to do. All they are designed to to is make it through the snow (on the roads) and maybe going through a field to get fire wood. They are not meant to be played with like we like to play.

radojim
03-30-2010, 07:25 PM
its an '05, the warrenty was up a while ago. as for parts ive been searching gmpartsdirect.com. that steering gear is 588 on there but my buddy found one in the junk yard for 100. its in the mail.
the same junked colorado also has the complete front differential w/ 4.10s for 300, but then id have to get the back as well and have them set up...

tjblair
03-30-2010, 08:01 PM
its an '05, the warrenty was up a while ago. as for parts ive been searching gmpartsdirect.com. that steering gear is 588 on there but my buddy found one in the junk yard for 100. its in the mail.
the same junked colorado also has the complete front differential w/ 4.10s for 300, but then id have to get the back as well and have them set up...

I Would see if they will give you a package deal the rack the front diff and the rear diff( if it still has that too) then you don't have to worry about a regear.

radojim
03-30-2010, 08:31 PM
I Would see if they will give you a package deal the rack the front diff and the rear diff( if it still has that too) then you don't have to worry about a regear.

i thought about that... they do have the rear but they are selling it as a whole - the whole rear axle - for 500 + shipping from michigan. i might be better off just getting aftermarket 4.10s. thoughts??

Deadman 94 xj
03-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Jim, I would check out http://www.car-part.com/ for a 4.10 rear end closer to home. $500 is high. If you went just the gears you're looking at the price of the gears plus about $250 to have them installed. I'd bet you could find one already set up cheaper.

I don't know what axle that is. Maybe you could find a donor from another Chevy that would bolt up?
http://www.picapartyard.com/TRUCK_inventory.aspx

They don't have a lot of newer models though.

radojim
03-30-2010, 08:44 PM
thanks tom, will do, later as american idol is on. hha, sam 'makes' me watch that shit

Deadman 94 xj
03-30-2010, 08:45 PM
lol

Deadman 94 xj
03-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Wow, they arn't cheap on there:

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
Ahh, it won't show up. There were about 4 in our area that you'll have to call about. The others ranged from 900-500. Prices can be rediculous on there though. Same as anywhere else I guess.

radojim
03-30-2010, 09:10 PM
if i remember right you can get a new ring and pinion for around 200, + another 250ish to have 'em set up?

i guess its hit or miss with a whole assembly...
im just kinda racing the clock right now

Deadman 94 xj
03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
if i remember right you can get a new ring and pinion for around 200, + another 250ish to have 'em set up?

i guess its hit or miss with a whole assembly...
im just kinda racing the clock right now

It's usually about $250. Dave, DMG on here, can do it for you at his shop. I don't know what he charges but it wouldn't be more than that.

If you keep looking around, Ohio, ect. and find the whole assembly, I doubt Steve would mind going for a ride lol. You could have it this weekend if you're lucky. That doesn't help the main problem though.

jeepxj3
03-31-2010, 01:12 AM
thanks tom, will do, later as american idol is on. hha, sam 'makes' me watch that shit

now thats punishment...

radojim
03-31-2010, 08:55 PM
so where is the best place to buy aftermarket gears if i cant find 'em in the bone yard??
so far summit is the cheapest...

tanz45
04-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Cheap gears are either gonna break or be a PIA to setup and will be noisy.

I get my stuff from Nationaldrivetrain.com

Motive is what i use.

Super Scout
04-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I got mine thru superior axle and Im pretty sure they make decent gears.... Price was decent too in comparision....

Deadman 94 xj
04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
http://www.ringpinion.com/Default.aspx

Muzikman
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
car-part.com is not a "there", it's a list of parts at different junk yards. It's a pretty extensive list of junk yards too.

And because they are junk yards, prices are not set in stone. I have bought several things from place found on car-parts.com. Been happy with all the purchases, however, it's only as good as the yard you are buying from. I have heard horror stories about getting axles and them ending up being wrong.

Wow, they arn't cheap on there:

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
Ahh, it won't show up. There were about 4 in our area that you'll have to call about. The others ranged from 900-500. Prices can be rediculous on there though. Same as anywhere else I guess.

Deadman 94 xj
04-05-2010, 12:46 PM
True ^. I was just surprised that the majority of yards were selling them for so much.