PDA

View Full Version : Putting the 33's on the YJ

Ed_Lorentz
03-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey Guys and Girls,

I appreciate all the help you guys have been able to offer since I joined (only recently). So I decided to see if anyone would be willing to help me put my 33s on the YJ. The only reason I'm asking for help is because the wife has cut my Jeep spending, and I don't have a jack big enough, or a lot level enough to stick them on myself.

I would be willing to provide beer if you can help, I'd prefer if you lived north of the city, and if I could come to you. I live in Butler, but might be willing to travel just to get the job done. If you can help please leave me a note or PM me. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Thanks
Ed

limegreentj
03-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Hey Guys and Girls,

I appreciate all the help you guys have been able to offer since I joined (only recently). So I decided to see if anyone would be willing to help me put my 33s on the YJ. The only reason I'm asking for help is because the wife has cut my Jeep spending, and I don't have a jack big enough, or a lot level enough to stick them on myself.

I would be willing to provide beer if you can help, I'd prefer if you lived north of the city, and if I could come to you. I live in Butler, but might be willing to travel just to get the job done. If you can help please leave me a note or PM me. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Thanks
Ed

bring them to me and ill do them in my garage.

Ed_Lorentz
03-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey Brandon,

Which Leechburg are you in....Allegheny county or Armstrong.

Your pretty close because I live on 356. If you'd be willing to help that would be awesome. I just don't have a garage to do this kind of stuff. Would later in the afternoon work because I have to work till at least 2pm Sat.

Fourx4sr4me
03-31-2010, 03:31 PM
You are more than welcome to bring them over here if you want. I live in Meridian???

Ed_Lorentz
03-31-2010, 03:44 PM
That would be awesome John....I would appreciate it. Can you do Saturday Late Afternoon or Early evening? I live right in town so that wouldn't be that far at all.

steveg0690
03-31-2010, 03:47 PM
If something comes up, I'm over in Highfield. Not far from whitestown rd.

Lumpy
03-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Are you just changing tires or do you have to swap rubber to rims???

Ed_Lorentz
04-01-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm just bolting on the tires.....but I think I'm going to hook up with John to get-r-done on Saturday...The rubber is already on the rims (thankfully)...Thanks

Sycotik Skier
04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Maybe I'll swing out to John's and spectate.

toocheaptosmoke
04-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Need any more help, pit crew action at John's? :042:

Sycotik Skier
04-01-2010, 10:09 PM
I just wanna see what John has in the works for his toy.

Christopher
04-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I just wanna see what John has in the works for his toy.

He will have some tubing you can fit.

Fourx4sr4me
04-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Boy, I hope Ed has lots of BEER. Sounds like there will be at least one guy per tire right now.

Chris, are my goodies ready to be picked up?

Christopher
04-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Chris, are my goodies ready to be picked up?

plan on bending in the morning. everyone is :015: now
I'll let you know. I may be coming past your way anyhow tomorrow

Ed_Lorentz
04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Alright....I'll bring the Beer and the Tires...Sounds like we might be able to perform some NASCAR moves and get me outta the pits in 4.0 secs....While I got the help do any of you have experience with wiring trail lights. I got four mounted on the Jeep but do not appear to be wired up or not wired correctly because they don't work....I figure while I have a pit crew might as well make it work :-) for beer

Ed_Lorentz
04-02-2010, 09:34 AM
John I was thinking around 3:30 does that work. I wanted to do it earlier but apparently I have to work... :(

Ed_Lorentz
04-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks John and Vince for not only helping me toss on the 33s but also for rescuing me when I stalled out due to corosion..I'm sure Vince will toss the picture up here soon of me stranded on an uphill driveway in Butler...with him and John saving the day :) Thanks again guys....it was great to meet such awesome guys

Fourx4sr4me
04-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Ed, glad to see you made it back to your computer. It was nice meeting you today. Hopefully the starting issue is now gone?

Vinny it was nice meeting you and thanks for the assist!

toocheaptosmoke
04-04-2010, 12:02 AM
It was nice to meet you guys too! Hopefully the jeep just needs a little tune up to get rid of the stalling problem. Ed picked a good spot for the jeep to die, no worries of getting run over while working on things. :003:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/toocheaptosmoke/0403001652x.jpg

Then John hooked me up with a sweet sticker, thanks again man!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/toocheaptosmoke/0403001828x.jpg

limegreentj
04-04-2010, 12:08 AM
no before/afters of eds jeep?

toocheaptosmoke
04-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Ha, kind of forgot about that, refer to his avatar. :082:

limegreentj
04-04-2010, 12:19 AM
did i miss something? LOL

thats been his avatar all along...correct?

steveg0690
04-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Hey, I think I saw you guys going up whitestown rd, yesterday afternoon. I was out on the bike. Can't miss a scrambler.

Fourx4sr4me
04-04-2010, 09:18 AM

Ya it has, He had to put little tires on for inspection. He needs a little more tire coverage on the sides

Ed_Lorentz
04-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Alright I'm going to try to post up the before and afters here......

:worthless:

After
http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af55/Ed_Lorentz/Big%20Green%20Machine/BigGreenMachine-42010039.jpg

Before
http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af55/Ed_Lorentz/Big%20Green%20Machine/BIGGREENMACHINE015.jpg

Thanks again to Vince and John for all the help....Including the recovery effort:039:

Ed_Lorentz
04-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Ed, glad to see you made it back to your computer. It was nice meeting you today. Hopefully the starting issue is now gone?

Vinny it was nice meeting you and thanks for the assist!

Starting issue appears to be fixed....she still won't hold an idle though, but the improved battery connections allow her to fire right back up and keep rolling....No more really embarressing calls to fellow Offroad members to recover me from a freakin driveway..maybe next time she'll actually make it to the dirt. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll take her to a garage to see if I can get that idle adjusted since we couldn't seem to get it to move.

Thanks for the suggestions...So far on my list of to-dos I have:

1 - TUNE UP KIT
2 - Prep and Protect Frame (alot of wire wheeling here)
3 - Engine Clean Out - (Vince what was the name of that product again)
4 - Hook up trail lights
5 - Replace the Coax to the CB which got sheared by the door

I'd be open to any help I can get since I'm really new to this whole thing and would love to learn....especially on the wire wheeling - Something about working on the frame just scares me...especially if I have to be nervous about sparks around the gas tank....I'm willing to pay in Beer, and I think Vince and John will attest its not Natty Ice...I can come to you or you can come here, but I'll let you know I don't have a fully stocked garage (or garage for that matter) and my tool selection will be limited...So we might have to run to a store if you come here to get what we need.

Ed_Lorentz
04-04-2010, 09:43 AM

It has been my avatar, but I stole that pic from the original owner....I never had the 33s on it during the week I've had it, because it would never pass inspection with them on it...so I had stock tires on it...now I'm rollin on the appropriate rubber.

toocheaptosmoke
04-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Ed, first thing I'd run through her, along with the tune up, is this stuff :023:

http://www.mediabaron.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/20060331_seafoam.jpg

Ed_Lorentz
04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Can you get that at AutoZone Vince.

Ed_Lorentz
04-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey guys,

I was surfing the Autozone website and found some parts I want to put on my wish list for improving the performance of the Jeep. I wanted to run it by you guys before I bought them to see if I can get some feedback.

Air filter

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=247025_0_0_&skuDescription=Fram+/+Air+Filter&brandName=Fram&displayName=Air+Filter&categoryNValue=&sortType=&store=1851&isSearchByPartNumber=&fromWhere=&fromString=&counter=1&itemId=1-0&navValue=15300001&filterByKeyWord=&productId=247025&searchText=&categoryDisplayName=External+Engine&parentId=53-0

Spark Plugs

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=870934_0_0_&skuDescription=Bosch-Platinum-Plus+/+Spark+Plug&brandName=Bosch-Platinum-Plus&displayName=Spark+Plug&categoryNValue=14299999&sortType=&store=1851&isSearchByPartNumber=false&fromWhere=&fromString=search&counter=6&itemId=33-0&navValue=14200033&filterByKeyWord=Spark+plugs&productId=870934&searchText=Spark+plugs&categoryDisplayName=Routine+Maintenance&parentId=42-0

Wireset

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=128132_528186_5937 _&skuDescription=Accel+/+Wireset&brandName=Accel&displayName=Wireset&categoryNValue=&sortType=&store=1851&isSearchByPartNumber=&fromWhere=&fromString=&counter=4&itemId=6-0&navValue=14200006&filterByKeyWord=&productId=128132&searchText=&categoryDisplayName=Routine+Maintenance&parentId=42-0

Anyone have any suggestions or see any problem with adding these to the Jeep?

Thanks
Ed

Sycotik Skier
04-04-2010, 07:10 PM
ok two things, Autozone is the devil and Ed I think I might have seen your Jeep at my advance auto yesterday

Ed_Lorentz
04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Hey Brent,

I wasn't at an advanced auto yesterday...unless you mean broke down across the street from the one in Butler....The only reason I was looking at Autozone was because of the fact they are right up the street from me. Should I be worried about the parts I buy from there??? What could you recommend from Advance that would be comparable...???

Thanks
Ed

Sycotik Skier
04-04-2010, 07:31 PM
We have sea foam on sale right now for 6.99 a can. I work at the one just south of clearview mall. Your parts links are showing up for my jeep. Assuming they are Accel wires, I can get those for you no problem and our price will be the same if not better, Slugs aren't coming up for me but we stock NGK, Champion, Autolite, Denso, Motorcraft, ACdelco, Bosch, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other brands. From my experience with the butler Autozone, they are a bunch of clowns. I'm not saying Advance doesn't have a bunch of clowns working there. There is an Advance about 1/2 a mile up the road from the butler Autozone.
As far as my suggestions, K&N drop in filter, Autolite Professional wires (lifetime Warranty against defects), and Denso TT plugs. Wires will be around $40, Plugs are $2.99 a piece and I'm not sure about the filter off the top of my head. I'm at my store every friday night and usually saturday and sunday.

steveg0690
04-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Use advance. Autozone "usually" costs more, and they don't know nearly as much. Not that the guys at advance are all good, some of them are.

Ed_Lorentz
04-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Alright....I'm guessing I'm going with Advance...Thats why I post here first...Anyone have any experience with the types of plugs and wires that Brent mentions above. Just trying to get as many opinions as possible before spending the cash...but it sounds good to me...Brent are these thing special order or will I be able to stop in and just pick them up? If so I might be up later in the week to pick them up (Most likely Friday evening or so) :)

Thanks
Ed

Fourx4sr4me
04-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Ed you need a cap and rotor also. That jeep sat for a while and i guarantee you there is some corrosion in there.

Ed_Lorentz
04-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks John....I knew you said that I needed something else but I couldn't remember what it was...

Lumpy
04-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I prefer Advanced as well, I'm always at the one in Ellwood.

When you use the SeaFoam be ready to see some smoke and I mean a tone of it!!! Your neighbors will hate you when your done. When I did mine I used the all of it in the intake I didn't dump any in the tank. I also let it sit for about 30 minutes after I dumped the last bit in when it was off. Then the smoke really came out!!!

ridgerunner97
04-05-2010, 10:12 AM
^ haha good point, it can freak someone out if they never used it before. He's talkin like Uncle Buck kinda smoke LOL

Ed_Lorentz
04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Uncle Buck kinda smoke huh.....no you guys got me all freaked out..is this a permanent effect of using this....Should I put it in the gas or in the intake???....I thought the instructions stated in the gas...Hopefully that will clean everything out.

One other question should I change the distributor cap wires, rotor, and plugs before or after I use Seafoam? I don't want to mess up all the new stuff and have to replace it all again when all that sludge comes flying free....also should I be using the whole can.

If I get Uncle Buck Smoke I'm definately taking pics and posting it up...

Super Scout
04-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Not permanent just while your running it thru your engine. It makes a big difference.

Ed_Lorentz
04-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Thats good...last thing I need is the wife complaining about the smoke....I already hear it about the bouncing....how long does it take to run through?

Lumpy
04-05-2010, 10:46 AM
I'd changed everything but the plugs. Start the engine let it come up to temp and pull the brake booster vac line off and slowly pour it in. You want to pour it fast enough to stop the vac leak but not too fast to stall it. Then when you get about 2/3 or 3/4 of the can gone shut it off and dump the last little bit down the tube. Let it sit for 30 min and start it up again and let it run for a bit then take it for a short ride once all the smoke is gone.

Lumpy
04-05-2010, 10:47 AM
About 20 minutes of running after you let it sit I suppose.

Ed_Lorentz
04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Lumpy...forgive my stupidty but where is the brake booster vac line your talking about. My mechanic ability is horrible...I just don't want to dump it down the wrong tube.

Lumpy
04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
On the master cylinder (where you dump brake fluid in) there should be a large vac line running to the intake manifold. That is where you want to add the SeaFoam.

It will look something like this.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/power-brake2.jpg

Ed_Lorentz
04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
So I would disconnect the bottom of that line (not visible) correct ??...or would I disconnect the part that is shown???

Ed_Lorentz
04-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I was wondering what you guys thought of this distributor cap and rotor?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Distributor-Cap-ACDelco_18051374-P_192_R%7CGRPTUNEAMS_994491114___

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Distributor-Rotor-ACDelco_18051386-P_193_R%7CGRPTUNEAMS_994477909___

Would I be fine with these or should I try something else?

Lumpy
04-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Well either one would work but pulling it off the booster side and having the rubber hose to move around would be easer than trying to pour it in the stud on the intake. I'm not sure where the booster hose goes on those...then again I can't remember where mine goes either. :icon_winkle:

toocheaptosmoke
04-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Any of those tune up parts should be fine, you probably don't need the more expensive performance stuff, unless you want to pay for it. Here's a vid, there's a lot on youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt_oXKxe3wo

Ed_Lorentz
04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I think the video just cleared up a whole lot of my confusion.....I think I'm stopping at Advance on the way home so that I can try to do this....I'll post pics of the smoke screen if I can.

Sycotik Skier
04-05-2010, 06:36 PM
we should have everything in stock.

Ed_Lorentz
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
So I added the Seafoam to the gas tank yesterday...and already see an improvement in the start up and idling of the JEEP....Hopefully today I can add it to the oil and vaccuum pump.

I've seen several debates online about using this in the oil. If its made of petroleum I don't see why it would hurt....Has anyone here done it before and if so what did you think....Is it worth it...did it damage anything?

Thanks Guys...Keep the good advice coming.

Lumpy
04-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I have yet to use it in the oil...I have read about others that have. I'd just run it through the brake booster and have at it. But from what I have "read" it helps in the oil as well. If you do dump it in the oil change it after about 100 miles or so.

Ed_Lorentz
04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I read on the website that its completely safe because its basically oil....I was thinking it might be worth a shot since the engine sat for 5 years without running...I was planning on changing the oil filter and oil after it rolled around in there for awhile since I'm sure a lot of deposits would be floating around.

I was a little disappoint in the smoke show yesterday when I put it in the gas tank...just a lil white puff on start up nothing else...Oh well tonight will be the big show :)

Lumpy
04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Well if it sat that long then I'd use do it. I didn't realize is sat for a while.

Ya it really will not smoke much at all being dumped in the tank but when you do the brake booster she'll smoke like no other!!!

Ed_Lorentz
04-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Sweet...hopefully I'll have the pics up tonight.

Lumpy
04-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Soooo how'ja make out???

Ed_Lorentz
04-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Ok so here is the offical Seafoam report....I followed the directions on the can and placed half the can in the oil then proceeded to put half of the can in the intake.....The smoke screen was really impressive...but it seems to have worked the car is running really smooth for an '88.

Now I'm heading up to Advance tonight to see if i have a leaky manifold, or a vac leak...if I get this fixed I should be trouble free and ready to ride (the streets at least)

Lumpy
04-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Good deal man!!! I'm to hear she's doing better!!!

notmYJ
04-10-2010, 03:14 AM
Most of the parts from advance are decent, there are a few you should avoid like the plague. YJ oil pressure sender, and YJ clutch master cyl are just two parts that have given me nothing but problems.

Went through 4 oil pressure senders, they would leak internally and build oil pressure under the wiring plug. Then it would actually push the plug out and start pumping oil out of the motor. The first two replacements were covered under warranty. I had to buy the fourth one. THen I got one from Car Quest and never had a prob with it for a year.

The clutch master cyls, I went through three of them. They have an aluminum housing. The inlet of the resivoir is drilled into the aluminum housing after the piston bore is drilled and finished. The problem this causes is the cup seal on the end of the piston rides over the hole and the sharp edges of the drilled inlet, rip a small chunk off of the sealing edge, allowing an internal leak and preventing the master from building pressure. I would consider it a fluke, but three of them, with the exact same prob? Thats a manufacturing error. Go to Pep boys, or the dealer and get the plastic one. Everything is molded in and nothing for the cup to get torn on. The advanced ones never lasted me more than few months. The one from pep boys lasted over a year with not one hiccup, and it is being put on another jeep cause it works.

As far as spark plugs go, I generally despise champion plugs. However the Jeep motors really seem to run well with Champion Truck plugs. Do a search online, you will find lots of accounts of people having good results with them. Don't fall in to the marketing BS about the Bosch +2 or +4 plugs. They are a gimmick and way over priced. The only "special" plug I have ever paid alot for, and was worth it were the Accell Header plugs. They were only worth it because I had equal length, large tube, wheel well headers on a 79 buick regal with a "slightly" modified small block.

Also, I would skip the K&N air filter. Any after market filter will be able to supply more air than the engine will need. What you want, is CLEANER air going in. Tru-Flow air filter out perform K&N everytime. Advance should be able to order the True-Flo air filters through Keystone.

Avoid Fram filter like the plauge too. They are pure garbage, built as cheaply as possible with all carboard internals. If your shopping at advance, get a PUREone from purolator. But the PUREone, Wix, Fleet Guard, Mobile1, Royal Purple, and K&N oil filters are pretty much equal and will give you cleaner oil with more flow than most any other filters on the market. Google oil filter reviews and you will find tons of info.

Ok, I'm tired. Thats all i have for now. Flame away all you die hard Fram lovers, they aint built like they were back in the day.

Macabre
04-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Nice Jeep. I'm surprised I haven't seen it around Butler yet.

Ed_Lorentz
04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
HAHA....Macabre its sitting right on New Castle St :) don't know how you can miss it.

Dave, thanks for the tips...I'll definately be taking some notes off you guys.

Well I stopped by advance the other night and Brent helped me find a dry rotted vac tube...unfortunately replacing it didn't solve the problem. So Jeff I think I'm going to take you up on your offer ( I got the torch)...If it still stands. The more I think about it I think I might have to adjust the idle, because as it stands when she sits at rest the rpm hover around 1,000 rpms then pbbblh (stall) all within two seconds of taking my foot off the gas....Would you guys agree?

When Brent looked under the hood he couldn't hear any air being sucked? Could there still be a leak?

Thansk Guys for all the Help