PDA

View Full Version : Local place for shocks

Powerguy37
03-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Is they anyone local to Pittsburgh that stocks Rancho or Bilstein shocks? I kind of need some tomorrow...

notmYJ
03-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Sears carries rancho RS5000. Not sure exatcly what # you need, but they have something need. Not sure who else will have a wide selection instock though.

joker291977
03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
wheeling tire will have them its not that far of a drive

Powerguy37
03-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Sears carries rancho RS5000. Not sure exatcly what # you need, but they have something need. Not sure who else will have a wide selection instock though.
I'm not looking for a specific #. I bought some from Summit I thought would work but they are too long. I moved the rear shocks mounts up a bit so I needed a shorter stroke shock. The ones I got have the shorter stroke but the shock body is the same length so I do not have enough up travel. I never thought the shock body would be the same on the shorter stroke shock.

commando72
03-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Might give Heberling and Beck a call out in Latrobe. They have a pile of shocks on the shelf...might have what you need.

Powerguy37
03-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Might give Heberling and Beck a call out in Latrobe. They have a pile of shocks on the shelf...might have what you need.
Yeah I'm going to give thema call in the morning.

JeepGeneral
03-31-2010, 11:26 PM
I just thought about National Tire and Wheel in Wheeling as well, you can check on their site first as well.

Muzikman
04-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Monroe from Napa. You just need to cut the metal cover off and you are good to go. Rancho and Monroe are the same shocks.

ridgerunner97
04-01-2010, 06:18 AM
Tenneco I believe is who makes the Rancho, Monroe, and Rough Country Shock Absorbers.

highlandercj-7
04-01-2010, 07:02 AM
4wd Hardware might be able to help. Also try Advance they can get them in PDQ.

Powerguy37
04-01-2010, 09:07 AM
I guess I don't really have to ahve them today but I don't have a lot of up trvel right now on the X. maybe 2-3 inches. I'm sure Summit could get me new ones here by Monday. The problem is I don't know which ones to get. I need a smaller shock body than the shocks I have now so they don't bottom out. I hate to guess again on them from Summit and they are still the wrong size.

The ones I ahve now are about 27 extended and 16 compressed. I moved the shock mount up about 3 inches so I'm guessing I nedd something in teh 20-25" range extended. Summitt list those numbers on their site but no the lenth of the shock body itself.

muddeprived
04-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Did you flex out the rig and measure? That's the first thing I do when considering shocks. I flex out the corner and measure the extended length and then I compress that corner and measure the compressed length. With those two numbers I can go online and find the shock in a few minutes.

You can make the long shocks work by increasing the bumpstops. I run 5" bumpstops on each corner and get only 4" uptravel but I have plenty of droop.

what rig and lift is this for?

My local advance carries rancho shocks.

Powerguy37
04-01-2010, 09:27 AM
No I did not check the flex. I was assuming sinced I only moved the shock mount up about 2-3 inches, I could just get a shock that had 2-3 inches less on the extended side so I did. The problem is the shock body on my old shocks is the same as the new ones therefore only leaving about 2-3 inches of up travel. I really don't want to extend the bumpstop and lose anymore wheel travel.

Its for an Xterra but it really doesn't matter. I jsut need a closed loop on both ends and the right length.

muddeprived
04-01-2010, 09:47 AM
No I did not check the flex. I was assuming sinced I only moved the shock mount up about 2-3 inches, I could just get a shock that had 2-3 inches less on the extended side so I did. The problem is the shock body on my old shocks is the same as the new ones therefore only leaving about 2-3 inches of up travel. I really don't want to extend the bumpstop and lose anymore wheel travel.

Its for an Xterra but it really doesn't matter. I jsut need a closed loop on both ends and the right length.

When you raise the mount 3", you gotta get a shock that has 3" less extended AND compressed length OR bumpstop to keep the shock from fully compressing and breaking stuff (or raise the upper mount too and keep the same shock). You will still have similar travel as you did before if you raise the mount and get a 3" shorter shock (E & C). I'm sure you already figured this out through trial and error.

I did this on my TJ's rear shocks before. I lowered the upper mount 2" and made my shocks too short so I had to get new shocks that were 2" shorter in compressed and extended lengths.

Deadman 94 xj
04-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Just take a static measurement and call somebody that knows shocks. I've had good luck with that method :102:

:biggrin:

Powerguy37
04-01-2010, 10:00 AM
When you raise the mount 3", you gotta get a shock that has 3" less extended AND compressed length OR bumpstop to keep the shock from fully compressing and breaking stuff (or raise the upper mount too and keep the same shock). You will still have similar travel as you did before if you raise the mount and get a 3" shorter shock (E & C). I'm sure you already figured this out through trial and error.

I did this on my TJ's rear shocks before. I lowered the upper mount 2" and made my shocks too short so I had to get new shocks that were 2" shorter in compressed and extended lengths.

Yeah I get a shock with less extended length and compressed length. The problem is the main body of the shock is the same. Just a shorter piston inside the body therefore it will bottom out the same as my old shocks. I need to find someone that has them in stock so I can look at them and measure the body of the shock.

Just called Heberling and they ahve to order them. :( I guess I'll just try Summit again. I really hate ordering them sight unseen again.

Powerguy37
04-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Pro Trucks in Murrysville has BDS shocks in stock. Anyone ever run them?? Are they any good?

muddeprived
04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Pro Trucks in Murrysville has BDS shocks in stock. Anyone ever run them?? Are they any good?

I hear nothing but good things about BDS shocks.

to figure out the length of the body, just measure the compressed length you need. A 21" compressed shock has a shorter body than a 24" compressed shock so that's one way to tell without looking at them physically. Take the shock you have now and compress it fully and measure. Look for a shock that's listed 3" shorter than the measurement you just took. The problem is most manufactures and retail stores don't list the measurements so like you've been saying you gotta go in and look at what they have unless you find the measurements online and take note of the part number. You can call summit and ask them and I'm sure they will be able to tell you the compressed lengths of the shocks they carry.

I'm gonna look around and see if I can find some lengths for ya.

Powerguy37
04-01-2010, 10:35 AM
A 21" compressed shock has a shorter body than a 24" compressed shock so that's one way to tell without looking at them physically.

Yeah thats what I thought. So I ordered a shock with a 3-4" smaller compressed size but the shock body is the same as the longer compressed
shocks I already have. Go figure.

muddeprived
04-01-2010, 10:35 AM
https://bds-suspension.com/products/spec_shocks.php

muddeprived
04-01-2010, 10:40 AM
http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/2005_productshock_spec.pdf

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/documents/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/37.asp

http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORsb.asp?Series_Index=Q6&Manf=Bilstein&SubChar=Q

http://www.skyjacker.com/image/catalog/pdf/Shocks.pdf
(lengths listed at bottom)

Advance also has a catalog in the store that lists all the ranch shocks and lengths.

Hope these help ya find the part number. Having the part number makes it so much easier to track down the shock locally or online.

notmYJ
04-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Dana, if you get the order into summit by 1 or 2, you will have them next day if they are in the Tallmadge, OH store.

Powerguy37
04-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Just got back from Pro Trucks. They had some in stock that I think will work. I'll find out in a few minutes...

Ragnorox
04-01-2010, 02:47 PM
well........?

Powerguy37
04-01-2010, 03:14 PM
well........?
Just gone done. I had to run up to Point Springs and have new U-bolts made. The ones that came with the flip kit were too short. Just sitting in the driveway, I have at least 5-6 inches of up travel. I guess I'll find out how well it works next weekend at Rausch Creek.

Ragnorox
04-01-2010, 03:59 PM
We could always give it a shakedown tomorrow, you what they say.....better out than in.......wrong one.......better safe than sorry!:109:

Powerguy37
04-01-2010, 04:14 PM
We could always give it a shakedown tomorrow, you what they say.....better out than in.......wrong one.......better safe than sorry!:109:
Maybe for a quick run in the morning. Let me see what the wife has planned when she gets home. She's of work tomorrow too.

Ragnorox
04-01-2010, 04:44 PM
pm me and let me know.