PDA

View Full Version : 97-01 XJ steering column setup

muddeprived
04-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Is there some hidden nuts/bolts under the dash that i'm missing out on? I tightened all the visible bolts/nuts behind the knee panel and my steering column still rattles and shakes. When I close the door the column shakes. It's almost like those bobble heads, it bobbles for a second when you slam the door. When I go over a rough terrain or road it does the same thing. It's so annoying and tires out your hands when you gotta hold it tight to keep it from shaking. it's not tire/steering related because it does it with the jeep parked. You can visibly see the steering wheel shaking while the dash is at a standstill. Something is obviously out of whack or not tight but I've tightened everything under there. There has to be something I'm missing. The column goes through the dash and bolts onto a big web-like metal or aluminum bracket that's bolted to the firewall and seems like its bolted to something above the steering column but I can't get a good look cuz the dash is in the way. Anyone successfully taken apart the dash and seen where this bracket connects to above the column? There's gotta be bolts that i'm missing or not seeing.....

Deadman 94 xj
04-01-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't know. When you find out let me know because mine does the same thing, maybe not as bad. It started after I smacked into a rock I didn't see. It felt like a ran into a brick wall.

ridgerunner97
04-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Idk how to get in there, mine doesn't wobble that bad, but I know what your talkin about, my cousins 98 XJ does it.

muddeprived
04-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Idk how to get in there, mine doesn't wobble that bad, but I know what your talkin about, my cousins 98 XJ does it.

What causes it? it's so annoying. It's like riding a bicycle over rocks. You know how your arms shake with the handlebars? That's how it is and very freakin annoying. I drove to erie and back and my arms are so tired of holding the steering wheel tight so it doesn't wobble. :retard:

ridgerunner97
04-01-2010, 07:21 PM
IDK LMAO, mine isn't very bad at all, like barely ever, but it does move sometimes just a smidge, i'm talkin a HAIR, but my cousin's did it pretty good, as well as a few others ive driven, mostly with VERY high miles, so something wears out I'm guessin, I have no real technical explanation or what wears out, but something must LOL

muddeprived
04-01-2010, 07:40 PM
IDK LMAO, mine isn't very bad at all, like barely ever, but it does move sometimes just a smidge, i'm talkin a HAIR, but my cousin's did it pretty good, as well as a few others ive driven, mostly with VERY high miles, so something wears out I'm guessin, I have no real technical explanation or what wears out, but something must LOL

Yeah something.....

I dug into it three times so far and tightened everything I can find but still no luck in solving it. I got 97k on mine.

ridgerunner97
04-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Shit end of this summer I should break 200k LOL, I got 173k on her right now runs like a champ :)

muddeprived
04-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Shit end of this summer I should break 200k LOL, I got 173k on her right now runs like a champ :)

This is my first vehicle that I ever owned that will be going over 100k. I bought it with 87k on it two and a half years ago so technically i didn't put 100k on it myself.

ridgerunner97
04-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Haha my family don't buy nothing unless its broke in LOL 100k and up :flipoff2: My mom is the only one who gets new vehicles, she can't be fooling around with high miles and the things that happen with them.