PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic School - Auto Classes

Ed_Lorentz
04-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of any good mechanics schools in the area. I just want to learn the basics (not really looking to become a mechanic) so that I can do some of my own repairs on the Jeep. The only thing I can seem to find are programs at Devry and places like that that dont really have garages to get hands on in. I guess what I'm looking for is Auto Shop from HS, which I didnt get to take. Any ideas???

pittim
04-01-2010, 11:55 AM
BC3 might have somethin. I know CCAC does.

Christopher
04-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Butler vo-tech does night classes they may offer it.

96greenxjjeep
04-01-2010, 02:40 PM
butler votech should have it yea

notmYJ
04-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Ccac west has a huge auto program, in a new building. Its an awesome facility. I have never takenactuall classes there, just inspection classes, and hydraulics. Call ccac west hills and request some info. I'm sure they offer some intro classes. Not sure of your age or availability, but getting hands on ina shop or even with people on this board they are doing builds is a good way to become familiar the nuts and bolts of it.

Alley
04-01-2010, 03:47 PM
http://www.ccac.edu/default.aspx?id=138611

http://www.campusexplorer.com/colleges/571FC0BF/Pennsylvania/Butler/Butler-County-Community-College-Butler/

Ed_Lorentz
04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately BC3 does not have anything. CCAC would be great but I would have to get a a degree or a certificate which I'm not looking at spending 7,000 to learn....I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred but at that point Id rather be putting the money in the Jeep instead. Thanks for all your help guys

Alley
04-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I tried to google anything I could and came up with nothing either other than certificate programs. Looked Like Votech had nothing for adult education classes...... seems kinda dumb they should have some general automotive for a hobby classes somewheres. but, google can't find any.

Ed_Lorentz
04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Guess we know how we can raise some extra funds in Pittsburgh....anyone have the skills :-) I'm willing to learn...

limegreentj
04-01-2010, 05:26 PM
honestly, if you hang out with the right group of us long enough....you'll learn way more than you thought...haha!

Ed_Lorentz
04-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Alright I guess I need to start hanging out with you guys....I'm planning on coming to the Mand G next month if I can. I can't wait to get out on some rides soon too...

Sycotik Skier
04-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Stop in at the Bon Aire Advance auto and introduce yourself to me. I have some work to do on my jeep and having someone else around wanting to learn how to fix things will motivate me to get mine inspected.

justin'sbig7
04-01-2010, 11:28 PM
i am up the road in chicora.... i work on vehicles a lot, your more than welcome to stop out.

notmYJ
04-02-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm gonna be doing a decent build on the new YJ this month, your more than welcome to stop by and pick up a wrench. (Don't worry, I'll tell you where to put it ;))

Ed_Lorentz
04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Dave,

We just met....I don't know if you can tell me where to put that wrench just yet :) at least buy me dinner first....I really appreciate you guys opening up your garages to me....that would be awesome. I'd be willing to learn from all of you. I'll be sending out some PMs to try to get some additional info. I'd rather try to learn from one person since I know wrench like alot of things has several different "right" ways...and I don't want to confuse myself with a lot of different styles of accomplishing the same thing. Once I got the basics down then I think I'll start branching out.

Thanks Again Guys,
Ed

limegreentj
04-02-2010, 09:29 AM
i just put an engine in my tj by myself....too bad you werent here to learn/watch that...LOL

Ed_Lorentz
04-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Damn it....

GrimJeeper01
04-04-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm dropping an LS2 in my XJ. There'd be an adventure for ya. I'm gonna get like 15 people and we're gonna drop that sum beach in there in a single night! :023: Lol

Ed_Lorentz
04-05-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm not too interested in dropping engines yet....I'm more interested in basic stuff like tune ups...changing wires, plugs etc....I understand the basics but I've never done it so I would appreciate if some one could show me because I'm way more visual...and reading instructions don't really help me for some reason.

Ed

M635dude
06-03-2010, 10:28 AM
My suggestion would try to apprentice at a small local shop. Just go in and tell them what you'd like to learn, and in exchange you'll sweep the floors, take out the trash ect. You can really learn a lot this way, just try not to get in their way if they take you on. good luck

muddeprived
06-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I had similar plans and was going to attend NCST (new castle school of trades) cuz they have automotive programs there. But for now I'm working on other things at the moment and put the schooling on hold. Gotta fix my ears before I can upgrade my brain.

joshs1ofakindxj
06-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Gotta fix my ears before I can upgrade my brain.

I kinda feel bad for laughing but that just came across as plain funny. Are you getting a C.I.?

muddeprived
06-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I kinda feel bad for laughing but that just came across as plain funny. Are you getting a C.I.?

It was intended to be funny lol. Yeah i'm getting the implants. I use regular hearing aids but they don't work too well on me anymore.