PDA

View Full Version : Heim joint question

Deadman 94 xj
04-01-2010, 11:27 PM
I got these joints today and noticed that one of them is really loose. There's no play as far as I can tell, but I could probably blow on it and the ball would move (exaggeration but you get the point).

Is this normal for a Heim? The other one is fairly stiff. I also noticed a little bit of difference in the machining too.

If you look, you can see a seam in the casing. This is the one in question. It also has a small "pin" hole drilled in the bottom, the other one does not. They're both supposed to be QA1. I'm wondering if they didn't send me a cheapie instead.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t250/tnetz777/Junk/Picture030.jpg

Deadman 94 xj
04-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Just a different batch maybe? I don't know anything about heims is why I'm asking. :)

Thanks

XJchris98
04-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Where is the hole at? If its at the bottom of the threaded portion, its likely where they supported the shank of the joint while turning the threads.

As far as it being tight/loose, I've had both QA1 and Midwest control rod ends, both of which were "tight". You could still turn the ball by hand, but had to put a little force into doing so.

Where did you get the rod ends from? Id maybe call the distributor/manufacturer and tell them your problem. That way if you put it in and within a month or so it goes bad, they at least know of the problem.

Deadman 94 xj
04-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks Chris. The hole is at the bottom and that makes sense. The ball is loose. It's not like I can spin it like a $quarter$ but I can rotate the ball all the way around (360) with my pinky finger, no problem. The other one requires a bit of force.

I got them from ballistic. I guess I'll give them a call and see what they have to say.

It wearing out sooner is the only thing I'm really worried about. Not to mention it could have some play in it that I won't notice until it's installed.

Deadman 94 xj
04-02-2010, 12:01 PM
I called him. He said it shouldn't be a problem as long as there's no play in it. He said some of them can feel a little looser do to there being more lubricant within the teflon liner.
Good enough for me.

Dick.Breakey
04-02-2010, 12:34 PM
at leas now they have a record of the call so if something happens you can reference it and they dont just think your nuts