PDA

View Full Version : Carpet & seats out ready to add 'xyz'liner

fathersnsons
04-02-2010, 08:25 PM
The boys decided today to rip out the carpet, since most of the jeep is apart anyway, for various improvements, repairs etc.

I decided to work around the console but the rest of the XJ's interior has been removed.

I would be interested in some direction on solutions that have worked well.
Which products & any specific directions or prep not included in the directions.
We plan to roll / brush on ourselves, and to add a few more drain plugs.

I appreciate your feedback in advance.
Michael

beat1078
04-02-2010, 08:45 PM
There were a couple of threads about it. I found this one, it may be helpful. For some reason I think the rustoloum (I can't spell for some reason tonight) was the better one for your application.

http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11360&highlight=duplicolor

Deadman 94 xj
04-02-2010, 08:59 PM
If you wouldn't mind, post some pics of what you get yourself into. I want to do mine too sometime this summer. I just wonder what rat nests of wires and heat shielding I'm going to run into.

jeepin ruby
04-02-2010, 09:33 PM
This is on my list for this year as well. How hard was it to get the carpet out? I think Im just gonna do my front. My rear is fine, but my front driver side is always wet in the winter from getting in and out. And I can see some rust around my seat bracket bolts.

Anyway, Ive done it to both of my Tjs when I had em. DONT use the Duplicolor junk. I was young, dumb, and broke when I used it on the first one... It is the worst crap on the market IMO. On my Golden Eagle TJ I used Hurculiner and I was very happy with it. Probably end up using that when I do the XJ.

Deadman 94 xj
04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I think the biggest pain would be removing the seats, and those freakin seatbelt bolts. You'll need a good set of star head sockets.

fathersnsons
04-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Due to me health I am overseeing the teenagers.

Thus far, the carpet has come up fairly easy. It appears the previous owner had replaced the carpet from a 2000 into our 94???

In the back, no major challenges. We do have an internal safty cage and do need to unattach it and pull out the carpet. As for the seat belts. We were able to pull it our without taking out then out. (Before applying the black compound I may choose to remove them. :slywink:)

No strands of wire to deal with yet. Still need to remove carpet from center post to front. We do not plan on removing the console.

We have the drivers seat out. Once I showed them how to move the seat forward to expose the rear bolts they got it out without any challenges.

Therefore about 65% of the carpet is out. The floor is in much better shape than expected. If I can get my wife to bring home the digital camera I will attach pics later.

Sounds link Hurculiner is the most postivly referred product. I have also read that Asitone (spelling?) can be used to clean for prep & there is another product to use in rusty areas.

What do ya'll know
Miachael & Steven

Deadman 94 xj
04-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks! I've always heard of herculiner being used. One thing to note is it's supposed to take an awful long time to rid the jeep of the smell. I guess it takes a while to completely cure. Not a huge deal but you might want to leave the windows cracked for a few days...weeks :)

Also, have you thought about doing anything to repair what rust you might find before laying the liner down? I know you said it's in good shape but I'm sure you'll find some. We all do!

tjblair
04-02-2010, 10:42 PM
I would use Metal Ready on the floorpan and use it heavy on the rusted parts. that should Kill the rust and etch the surface for you. Metal ready is made by POR so any where that you can POR would probably have it

fathersnsons
04-02-2010, 10:47 PM
The smell:
THX for the heads up. We are fortunate, the 94 clunker is in the garage, while my 2004 GMC crew cab is outside. (Drives my wife crazy)
So we can wait it out.

The prep:
We will fix anything the the best of our ability.
- Acitnoe (spelling?) was referred to clean up overall.
- And another product was suggested that adhears & stops rust. I DO NOT EXPECT THIS TO BE A POUR ON FIX ALL. I planned on good old sandpaper/wire brush, then as a last step or as directed. I wish I could remember the name, maybe I was dreaming again.

Deadman 94 xj
04-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I would use Metal Ready on the floorpan and use it heavy on the rusted parts. that should Kill the rust and etch the surface for you. Metal ready is made by POR so any where that you can POR would probably have it

That's a good tip. That stuff works pretty good. I'm talking more about holes :047:

Deadman 94 xj
04-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I DO NOT EXPECT THIS TO BE A POUR ON FIX ALL. I planned on good old sandpaper/wire brush, then as a last step or as directed.

As expected ;)

I'm scared to find out what's under my carpet.

fathersnsons
04-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks Jeff, Tom & others...
Steven is excited, to get the jeep out. It now is tore apart.

If all goes well it should look awe sum, & unique.

I appreciate ya'lls knowledge sharing, kindness .... on & off the trails

fathersnsons
04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Almost forgot

DO you know if you can buy floor pugs?

Something I could possibly drill a hole and install like a drain which has a removable plug?

m

Deadman 94 xj
04-02-2010, 11:10 PM
This all I found with a quick seach. The dealer probably carries stock replacement plugs. I'd go the JY route though.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1016434

or these guys. Page 4:
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?input=body+grommet+plug&SM=1&SC=

GrimJeeper01
04-04-2010, 08:43 AM
I think the biggest pain would be removing the seats, and those freakin seatbelt bolts. You'll need a good set of star head sockets.
x2 I busted my Snap-On T55 ot T60 socket off inside the rear seatbelt bolt! Good luck though.

ridgerunner97
04-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Almost forgot

DO you know if you can buy floor pugs?

Something I could possibly drill a hole and install like a drain which has a removable plug?

m

Ive been thinking about herculining my interior as well and adding drain plugs. What my plan was, was to get the rubber freeze plugs from your auto parts store of choice, the ones you can tighten with a bolt on top of them, drill hole in floor, insert and tighten. I think they would look and work okay.

fathersnsons
04-04-2010, 11:32 AM
x2 I busted my Snap-On T55 ot T60 socket off inside the rear seatbelt bolt! Good luck though.

GrimJeeper,
Even with the correct star wrench, seat belts are often a pain in the @$$,
SO far we only have the rear seat out. With the XJ, the carpet came out without fussing with the rear seat belt anchors. As we proceed to the front I hope for the same luck.

Ive been thinking about herculining my interior as well and adding drain plugs. What my plan was, was to get the rubber freeze plugs from your auto parts store of choice, the ones you can tighten with a bolt on top of them, drill hole in floor, insert and tighten. I think they would look and work okay.

Ridgerunner,
Fellow XJ'r, Please keep us posted as to what you find. I do want 'black' plugs. I like the idea of tightening them as needed. Otherwise these teens will loose them.

:jeepxj3::jeepxj3:
Herculiner, We have had numerous help on this forum and some feedback on Jeep Forum. It seems as though the most agreed upon is Metal Ready & Herculiner. The only challenges I hear are 1) 'it fades', I also noted those who mentioned fading all had YJ's, Cj', ...., which makes me wonder if they are topless. If so I noticed Herculiner also has a UV protection product.
2) 'Other products are easier to clean / wipe down after trail runs.' To this I guess there is a trade off. Thus far I want the texture to minimize slipping when the interior get wet and or muddy.:062:

Again thanks for the feedback. This is a great forum, wish we would have jumped on years ago.

HAPPY EASTER

Deadman 94 xj
04-04-2010, 08:57 PM
I can't think of anything that works much better than herculiner for the inside. Sure there are options but the texture is about the same, as far as I know.

POR15 is nice and slick but in my experience it's the stuff is only good for bumpers and other add on's. I would not trust it on the floors.

Also, I wouldn't worry about fading in the XJ. I would bet those guys were talking about their open body jeeps that see a lot of sun shine.

I'd just go with the herculiner. If cleanup becomes a problem, upen up a drain plug and take a hose to it. :)

BAD_GNR
04-05-2010, 08:25 AM
I put herculiner in the bed of my tj about five years ago. Still holds the black and I ride topless about 7-8 months out of the year. I've hauled concrete block and other materials in the back and it's held up like a champ. I liked the herculiner enough to use it on my military trailer I restored last year. If you have any left over, I liked to use it on the underside of the jeep to keep things from rusting too much.

The biggest key, regardless of what you use, is prep. Rough the surface up really good so it has something good to grip onto, and then clean it with acetone or xylene, both should work equally well. Both should be available at homie depot or lowe's. If you're close enough ( I work downtown and live in the north hills), I could probably just give you my acetone, it's been sitting in my garage for five years and I'll probably never use it again.

crazy89yj
04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
be sure to use acetone?before you apply the liner