PDA

View Full Version : Worn down brake pad bracket fix?

muddeprived
04-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I acquired a HP30 from a fellow jeeper and I'm in the process of tearing it down and painting it. I noticed the brackets for the brake pads have really bad groves in them from the pad riding on it and digging in. They go down at least 1/8" so it's pretty deep. What's a way to fix this? I don't have any welding tools or anything like that. I was thinking of taking some thick aluminum sheet metal and bending it to fit over the bracket like some brake pads come with. This'll give the pads a new flat surface to ride on. Will that work or will the pads destroy this little cover bracket?

Are there any other ways to fix this?

Wrecker
04-03-2010, 02:06 PM
I would be scared of it becoming jammed. I would file it so no spots to hang up and grease the balls off the slodes. See what it does.

muddeprived
04-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I would be scared of it becoming jammed. I would file it so no spots to hang up and grease the balls off the slodes. See what it does.

I was thinking of filing/grinding it down but they are seriously deep groves. if I file it down so it's even and smooth the brake pads will wobble on the bracket cuz it's been grinded down thinner than the C-grove on the brake pads.

Wrecker
04-03-2010, 02:34 PM
I wouldnt grind it perfect. Just make sure they cant get hung up. Take the lip off is there is one.

wozz
04-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I have a friend at school that filled his in with a welder, then ground it flat. Not sure how good that is but it worked.

Also Jack on here had that happen and I think he got it replaced? may want to ask

Sleeper
04-03-2010, 05:52 PM
I have done many f these at the shop including mine n my gf's, i either grind it down or if too deep i add JB weld, let it dry and then grind it smooth. Not a big worry and a rather simple fix.

muddeprived
04-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I have done many f these at the shop including mine n my gf's, i either grind it down or if too deep i add JB weld, let it dry and then grind it smooth. Not a big worry and a rather simple fix.

Does it stick well? No problems with jb weld cracking or falling off?

Sleeper
04-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Does it stick well? No problems with jb weld cracking or falling off?As long as you clean the area well first and let it dry before grinding. I have not seen any probs as of yet and i have checked when i replace pads or rotors on customer cars. Alot of people in the JEEP community do it. I have been lucky enough to just grind mine and hers down but on mine will eventually have to do the JB weld.

Sleeper
04-03-2010, 06:36 PM
BTW i am also in the process of trying different pad slides that come with new sets of pads at work to see what ones will fit over the problem area to act as a slider/cushion. I will let everyone know once i do seeing is how this is a very common problem on jeeps. I have yet to see someone do it in the jeep community or think of it....

muddeprived
04-03-2010, 07:36 PM
BTW i am also in the process of trying different pad slides that come with new sets of pads at work to see what ones will fit over the problem area to act as a slider/cushion. I will let everyone know once i do seeing is how this is a very common problem on jeeps. I have yet to see someone do it in the jeep community or think of it....

So they are called pad slides? I couldn't think of the name for it. that's what I was thinking of making out alum sheetmetal. I could pound it into shape so it's a perfect fit.

DMG
04-03-2010, 08:32 PM
I have welded in the grooves and ground them smooth. That and replacing them are the only real fixes.

koenig
04-04-2010, 12:44 AM
I also have had luck welding and grinding the grooved area. Thats funny cuz me and sleeper were just talking about this problem the other day. I am almost positive the LP and HP 30's use the same knuckles. You could always swap them with the jeep your putting the axle in if there in good shape.

village_idiot
04-04-2010, 12:56 AM
I also have had luck welding and grinding the grooved area. Thats funny cuz me and sleeper were just talking about this problem the other day. I am almost positive the LP and HP 30's use the same knuckles. You could always swap them with the jeep your putting the axle in if there in good shape.
if he he goes to all the trouble to change out the knuckles, he might as well put wj bits on and go for crossover steering

fmlyof4whlrs
04-04-2010, 07:12 PM
It's a common problem. Switching to WJ knuckles would work but require either spacers behind the knuckles or new axle shafts since the WJ knuckles sit 1/2 further in then the wranglers. I just noticed this on mine and plan on upgrading to the Vanco Big Brake kit in the future. It's about 750 after you send in your knuckles but worth it I think to run two piston calibers and have a better slide setup. It users ford explorer rotors and calibers if I recall correctly.