PDA

View Full Version : So, I pull into the right lane and 2 seconds later...

Bill
12-15-2004, 12:54 PM
SMACK!!!

Well, the official score: Rubicon 1, Oldmobile Alero 0.

It all started this morning on my way to work. I normally take the Lumina to work, but when the roads or the weather are going to be questionable I take the Jeep. This morning I took the Jeep, and at just a hair over 8300 miles it got slammed into on Rt. 51 near the West End Bridge.

I had merged from the West End Circle into the middle lane of Rt.51 heading inbound. I then merged from the middle lane into the right-hand lane. A few seconds later I am hear a loud bang and I am thrown forward (Wearing my seatbelt, of course.) I was stunned. I didn't know what hit me. I had checked the passenger side mirror and even turned to check the blind spots, I knew nothing was there. The other vehicle was coming from Rt. 51 and heading towards the circle. I have no idea of his exact speed, but he was going too fast to safely stop his vehicle, that is obvious.

I pulled over out of traffic into the lot located there at the side of the road. I got out to make sure whoever hit me was okay. The other driver was a bit more shaken than I was, but he seemed okay as well. His Oldsmobile Alero didn't fare too well though. It needs a hood, bumper, fender, bumper support, radiator support, both headlight pods, and I am sure a few other items. I am amazed the airbags didn't deploy, but then again his bumper ended up right under the Jeep and his hood and headlights took the majority of the damage. I guess the airbag sensors never really got triggered during the impact.

The Rubi held up very well. It has a few scuffs on the rear bumper, and you can tell where the Alero hit it dead smack in the middle of the bumper. The exhaust hanger located behind the passenger's side rear tire is broken (It actually looks like it may just pop right back into the rubber bushing, but the bracket is tweaked a bit.) The exhaust pipe may be a little out of round at the opening. The passenger's side bumper end cap is beat up a bit. All in all I cannot complain at all about how well it held up. No body damage at all from what I can see.

The other driver and I exchanged insurance information and both drove our vehicles from the scene of the accident. I have already reported it to my insurance company and I need to get an estimate done. I am hoping that this is not going to be something that raises my insurance, I am concerned about it. I would hate to have my rates raised because someone hit me.

I will try to get some pictures of the damage to my Jeep up on the site within the next few days.

Happycamper
12-15-2004, 01:52 PM
DAMN!!! That truly sucks Bill. They hit YOU, that is their fault. Your insurance shouldn't go up. Did the other guy claim it was your fault? Did he at least apologize to you? I wouldv'e locked em up and drove right over that f'er if that was my Rubi. :smt023 Hey, i know it sucks when someone says this but.......it REALLY could have been worse. That damage sounds like what i do to mine on the trail in a day. Hope your day get better Bill.

-Jeff

mrpistol
12-15-2004, 02:21 PM
sorry to hear that, at least no one was hurt and no body damage to your jeep :)

Bill
12-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Of course he claimed it was my fault... He said "You pulled out in front of me and I had no time to stop." He hit my vehicle in the dead center of the rear bumper. I just let him go on about it. I figure the insurance company can figure out the truth from the damage to both vehicles.

IMO He was driving too fast. He could not control his vehicle considering the intersection he was approaching and the speed he was traveling at.

Time will tell with the insurance company and my rates. I will be happy when it is all over and I do not have to worry anymore.

I do know it could have been worse, I am feeling more safe than ever in the Jeep. I am just in awe of how well it held up in comparison to the Oldsmobile.

TimMichaels
12-15-2004, 02:44 PM
That's terrible. Glad the Rubi held up and all is well though.

Bill
12-15-2004, 06:11 PM
I just got off the phone with the dealer, the new bumper runs $150 and the end caps run $28 each. I guess that is going to be $178.00 to put towards a new bumper/tire carrier.

Something tells me I am going to be taking the WJ to 4WD Hardware this weekend... :wink:

LordAthens
12-15-2004, 06:53 PM
:worthless:

Bill
12-15-2004, 06:57 PM
:worthless:

Well, I got stuck at work on Mandatory overtime until 8PM. I am not too thrilled about it either... The pictures are going to have to wait. I know I am going to have to crawl under it tonight and fix the exhaust regardless, so I will try to snap a few pictures then.

On top of that. I am getting stiff as hell! My back is stiff and sore. I am loaded up on Ibuprofin(sp?) and it still is not helping, or if it is I am not noticing it.

Happycamper
12-15-2004, 08:35 PM
VICODIN!!!!!!

J/K I think you should be all good Bill. The driver has to be in complete control of there vehicle at ALL times. He wasn't in control of his and going to fast. I've been in a few wrecks in my life and this is coming from first hand experience. Don't fret my firearm carrying friend, it will be aight :smt023

Jpdst29
12-15-2004, 09:52 PM
if he hit you in the rear...hence he "rear ended" you...entirely his fault...
i had a friend one time who "braked checked" some guy who was tailing us too closely on the ramp leading onto 279 from bridgeville. guy was tailing so closely he didnt have time to stop and smashed into us. it was our fault for brake checking him but since he didnt have control of his car he suffered in the end 8O

i think you will be fine bill!!!

dygaar
12-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Glad to hear you're OK. I hope everything goes well with the insurance and as was stated before, if he rear-ended you, it should be his fault. I was rear-ended in my Jeep this summer and it did about the same amount of damage as yours sounds like. Check the rear cross member, mine was twisted. Also, my exhaust hit the rear passenger shock and bent it good.

RUBICONN
12-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Bill, that sucks... glad to hear you are ok...

Michael

Bill
12-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Well, I got under the Jeep for a second last night. I tried to re-hang the exhaust only to find that it is bent a little more than I first thought it was. I took some pictures and will post them as soon as I get a chance to get them from the camera and hosted on Photobucket.

My back is still a little stiff today, but it seems better than it did yesterday. I consider that a good thing.

I don't know if I should take it to a body shop for repairs, or to the dealer. 100% of the damage appears to be mechanical (Exhast / bracket / bumper / and my Warn gas tank skid has a few scuffs, thats grounds for a new one right??? :lol: ) I do want to get it in and throw it on a frame machine somewhere so that someone can take some accurate readings and assure me there is no frame damage. I am planning on looking into it today and I am sure as I find out more I will post it up.

JeepGeneral
12-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Bill, if I were you I would go to the dealer (no bias), especially if you want to get an estimate that the other guy may possibly pay for! I can't necessarily speak for other places, but I know we do very thorough estimates, as well as adjustments if anything else is wrong once the vehicle is apart. Included usually is things like alignment and any other mechanical parts. Try your local dealer, the estimate should be free.

Dave just got rear ended a few months ago, and it looked like just the rear bumper was bent in. Come inspection time, he had 2 or 3 small cracks in the exhaust that had to be fixed, which I don't think the other guy paid for.

Tom

PK
12-16-2004, 08:05 PM
When I got rearended, in pretty much the same way, with pretty much the same results -- a totalled minivan, and my Jeep looking just fine -- I called 911 to get a police report filed on the scene, so have an unbiased 3rd party record the events.

Bill -- you're a cop right, why didn't you get a police report done up?

PK

Bill
12-16-2004, 08:19 PM
When I got rearended, in pretty much the same way, with pretty much the same results -- a totalled minivan, and my Jeep looking just fine -- I called 911 to get a police report filed on the scene, so have an unbiased 3rd party record the events.

Bill -- you're a cop right, why didn't you get a police report done up?

PK

PA law requires a police report in vehicle accidents only if:

1. Someone is physically injured in the accident and it requires medical attention.

or

2. On of the vehicles that are involved in the accident need to be towed from the scene.

This accident did not fit the criteria for a report to be filed or I would have.

I did talk to a representative form the insurance company today and I got an estimate on the damages to me Jeep (Slightly over $815.00.) Needless to say the other driver's story is TOTALLY different from mine as per the lady at State Farm. He really must not have been paying any attention to what he was doing at all. He claims I was pulling out from the right-hand lane and into the left. His story is way off... I told the insurance rep that the evidence speaks for itself. Let the battle begin!

Bill
12-17-2004, 12:07 AM
Looks like I am getting a few things replaced.

Rear bumper / end cap ($149.00 / $22.35)

Warn Gas Tank Skid ($189.50) (It is just scuffed, and in perfect shape other than that, no dents or dings.)

Muffler w/ Tailpipe ($169.00 +$2.50 for a muffler clamp.)

So now the dilema. I already talked to the owner of the repair facility. As he puts it, I am entitled to the money for the items listed above. If I wish to upgrade I can put the money towards the items listed and go from there. He told me I can even go out and get the parts myself and he will cut me a check for the money listed.

So, I am thinking...

Exhaust... Going to have to go with some sort of aftermarket cat-back system. I am leaning towards the Banks right now. Any input guys?

Warn gas tank skid is obviously going to get replaced with another Warn gas tank skid. 1. It saved my Jeep from even more damage, and 2. I can probably scuff down and paint the damaged one and sell it.

I figure the money for the rear bumper is going to go towards an aftermarket bumper / tire carrier. I will probably go with the Warn bumper /carrier combo just because 4WD Hardware has them in stock and I am less than an hour away from them so I can run up and get everything all at once.

I am all about input here though. Anyone agree/disagree with my ideas here? Any constructive thoughts here will surely be appreciated.

TIA

Bill

OverkillZJ
12-17-2004, 01:52 AM
Can't reuse the old skid?

It's just a scratch ;)

coverinearth
12-17-2004, 07:35 PM
as far as tire carriers go i love my bestop on my YJ bill, you cant go wrong. the ease of being able to pull one handle and have the tailgate and tire swing away is great. and i have a 35 on mine with no problems.

Bill
12-17-2004, 07:47 PM
I considered it... I just like the Warn a little better. If time was not an objecy, I would be going with a Jeeperman rear bumper / carrier combo or maybe even waiting for the new ARB bumper / carrier.

However, since I am pressed for time and I am heading to 4WD Hardware tomorrow afternoon it looks like I am going with the Warn.

karstman
12-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Sorry to hear of the wreck....but glad no one was hurt.

You know how I feel about heavy bumpers/tire carriers....so I'll refrain from comment.
:D

OverkillZJ
12-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Sorry to hear of the wreck....but glad no one was hurt.

You know how I feel about heavy bumpers/tire carriers....so I'll refrain from comment.
:D

....But some of the REALLY over done ones make such great noises when they're slammed down on cliffhanger...

LordAthens
12-18-2004, 01:01 AM
Mark, have you had any issues with your OR-FAB?

karstman
12-18-2004, 10:06 AM
I should have gotten the non-jerry can version. The jerry can setup sticks out too far and I drag the rear tire some times. I just don't like all that weight back there. Now that the heep has been retired from DD duties, I might remove the OR-Fab and put the tire in the bed. Takes up a lot of room, but sooooooo much better on the trail. Might look into the non-jerry can version too. I have a little flexing of the sheetmetal, but I really dont care.

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:46 AM
I know the thoughts on the heavy tire carrier in the rear... I am not sure I have many other options at this point. I have to keep the tire out back, because I utilize the rear seat from time to time. The other option was to just get a rear bumper without the tire carrier. I think that way until I remember how damn hard it was to close the rear tailgate on the old Sahara after the buchings went bad. Taking that into consideration with the fact that I have a 33" TrXus sitting on a steel wheel mounted to the OEM tire carrier... I think I am just concerned that I am going to repeat the past here. Oh, and I have the cheap-ass 04' tailgaite hinges to boot!

Bill
12-18-2004, 07:26 PM
The pile o' parts in Heidi's new garage has just gotten a little larger. As it sits right now...

1. ARB Safari Snorkel
2. Warn Rear Bumper
3. Warn Tire Carrier
4. Banks Cat-Back Exhaust System
5. CB Antenna Mounting Bracket
6. A damn fire extinquisher that I still can't find a mount for :roll:

... The Warn Gas Tank Skid was out of stock at 4WD, they are expecting a shipment in on 12/20/2004. I guess that means the scratched one is going to be sitting under there for a while.

OverkillZJ
12-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Oh no, NOT A SCRATCHED SKID PLATE! :ctf2: :partyman:

Bill
12-18-2004, 09:02 PM
If I would have put those scratches in it I would be fine with it. I unfortunately did not. Wait until Monday when I call the insurance company and ask them if I can do the repairs myself... I am anxious to hear how that one goes...

OverkillZJ
12-18-2004, 09:25 PM
If I would have put those scratches in it I would be fine with it. I unfortunately did not. Wait until Monday when I call the insurance company and ask them if I can do the repairs myself... I am anxious to hear how that one goes...

Considering the money they put towards repairs is simply considered compensation for damages, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

Remember my insurance cut me a check for $4500 or so and didn't care where I took it.

Bill
12-18-2004, 09:25 PM

Considering the money they put towards repairs is simply considered compensation for damages, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

Remember my insurance cut me a check for $4500 or so and didn't care where I took it.

Good point.

bbaker80
12-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Bill, just to be safe I'd take it somewhere and have the frame checked before you go taking things apart to install the new stuff. My brother was rear ended in his TJ a couple months ago which resulted in a straighter bumper and broken Borla exhaust, but it seems that when we take things off to replace them now the new parts don't line back up. The Jeep has been in an accident before, but it seems that now we're having problems that we didn't have before. I can think of a good Jeep dealer in the Greensburg area :wink: with the capability to straighten yours out if you wanted to come this far.

Bill
12-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Bill, just to be safe I'd take it somewhere and have the frame checked before you go taking things apart to install the new stuff. My brother was rear ended in his TJ a couple months ago which resulted in a straighter bumper and broken Borla exhaust, but it seems that when we take things off to replace them now the new parts don't line back up. The Jeep has been in an accident before, but it seems that now we're having problems that we didn't have before. I can think of a good Jeep dealer in the Greensburg area :wink: with the capability to straighten yours out if you wanted to come this far.

I took it to a shop and had them look at it. It appears to be straight from what they tell me. I am not going to try to tackle the exhaust myself, but I am going to try to get the bumper and the gas tank skid done myself. I could just let them do it, but the guy is giving me grief because he is not making his standard 25% on the parts since I am upgrading everything.

Bill
12-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Well, after careful consideration...

The exhaust is being installed on Wednesday. Total price for installation is $46 + tax. Much better than the original $300+ in labor from the shop for all the work. Matt and I will be taking on the job of replacing the bumper and adding the tire carrier and the gas tank skid too. I am hoping to get that done sometime between Christmas and New Years.

I am sure it will be a packed house at Matt's garage as always...

Bill
12-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Well, add 1 rear SSV shock to the list of parts at a cost of $63.50 from Truck Outfitters. The shock should be here tomorrow afternoon. I would have ordered it from somewhere else, I am sure I could have gotten it much, much cheaper but time is an issue.

Happycamper
12-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Let me know when your gonna install all of your goodies, I'll be there :smt023 Maybe we could actually do some light wheeling too!

BTW did truck outfitters at least take you out to dinner before they raped you? $63.00 for a SSV, what does Supplee charge, $43.00 or so?

OverkillZJ
12-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Hell, I pay $25 for my DT's and like them more than SSV's, and I have money left over for dinner!

Ya, Bill, were you lookin at this week or next week for some wrenching? Your Jeep will actually fit all the way in my garage where it's warm...

Funny how I have a garage and the only jeep that hasn't been in it yet is mine...

Bill
12-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Well, the exhaust gets put on tomorrow. I will probably crawl under it tomorrow evening at Heidi's and install the new rear shock too (I am tired of it slamming down the on the rear bumpstop when I hit large bumps.)

The bumper/tire carrier should probably wait until next week when we have some time to actually do it. I figure with Christmas coming up people just have way too much going on this week to try to squeeze that in. I figure the tire carrier and bumper may take a little tweaking too. I need to remove the 3rd brake light, re-route the CB antenna (and add a new bracket to mount it on.) The gas tank skid should be an easy install, just drop it, switch bands, and replace it with the new one.

After all that maybe we can even think about pulling out the drill and putting a big hole in the fender... :?

OverkillZJ
12-21-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm all about after xmas! I'll put that hole in your fender ;), but I don't know if I'm letting you touch my drill again, the shafts still a little tweaked! 8O

Happycamper
12-21-2004, 01:47 PM
So you are definitly putting the snorkel on? How big does this big ass hole have to be? That's gonna be fun! :D

OverkillZJ
12-21-2004, 02:07 PM
So you are definitly putting the snorkel on? How big does this big ass hole have to be? That's gonna be fun! :D

Maybe we should have Brandon bring is video camera to get Bills face whtn that hole saw hits his shiny fender :lol:

Bill
12-21-2004, 03:40 PM

Maybe we should have Brandon bring is video camera to get Bills face whtn that hole saw hits his shiny fender :lol:

It will not matter, I am not even going to watch. I will go get the pizza while yuou guys hack the fender. I don't think I can see it... 8O

LordAthens
12-21-2004, 11:47 PM

bwahahahahha. /me rolls on floor laughing