PDA

View Full Version : Place to get it installed??

Broadbent
04-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first post and im so psyched to get my mods started! I purchased a 2.5'' coil lift with new shocks, control arms, and adjustable track bar, and tires/wheels. Does anyone recommend a place to get my first mods installed at? Im only 17 and although my dad and I are mechanically inclined we just don't have the time to do it. Any suggestions would be awesome!

betrayed93
04-07-2010, 09:35 PM
location?

96greenxjjeep
04-07-2010, 09:38 PM
meridian offroad in butler pa 724-285-5082

YJBeef
04-07-2010, 09:40 PM
someone's driveway!:003:

Broadbent
04-07-2010, 09:40 PM
thanks ill shoot them a call,

im in wexford

Broadbent
04-07-2010, 09:41 PM
hahaha yjbeef, i would love to but with school and work i just dont have the time :/

pittim
04-07-2010, 10:45 PM
You go to NA?

2002wranglerX
04-07-2010, 10:47 PM
meridian offroad in butler pa 724-285-5082

and 4 million dollars later.....

2002wranglerX
04-07-2010, 10:47 PM
thanks ill shoot them a call,

im in wexford

i'm right by marshall middle school. if you want to do it next week bring it over. we'll toss it on.

Broadbent
04-08-2010, 12:09 AM
You go to NA?

Ya i do

pittim
04-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Ya i do
Wouldn't happen to know the guys who have the red S10, black Chevy quad cab with a BFG banner on the back, or the white chevy with same banner, would ya?

Broadbent
04-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Wouldn't happen to know the guys who have the red S10, black Chevy quad cab with a BFG banner on the back, or the white chevy with same banner, would ya?

hahah i know them all real well

pittim
04-08-2010, 12:25 AM
hahah i know them all real well
haha no shit.

Ryan (red S10) lives down the street from me.

Broadbent
04-08-2010, 12:31 AM
haha no shit.

Ryan (red S10) lives down the street from me.

hahah stups is crazy, so u must be near the domvilles?

tjblair
04-08-2010, 07:22 AM
I Never come on here fishing for buisness. But I will be damned if I willl let somebody bad mouth the shop that I work at, and take pride in. It's called labor and it takes time to do the type of work that we do. If you can do it your self, thats great. But There are some out there who can't. Our labor rate is lower than alot of dealerships. and we do specialty and custom work, and we do it right unlike most shops.

4 million dollars, your an idiot.

skeebs
04-08-2010, 08:38 AM
that's pretty low man

96greenxjjeep
04-08-2010, 09:04 AM
yea i dont hate but thats just Rude..

YJBeef
04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I think hes referring to the fact that he's in school and usually means certain funds lack.........no matter where you go, its gonna be expensive to do and try to find some locals to lend a hand to save some cash.

2002wranglerX
04-08-2010, 09:39 AM
I Never come on here fishing for buisness. But I will be damned if I willl let somebody bad mouth the shop that I work at, and take pride in. It's called labor and it takes time to do the type of work that we do. If you can do it your self, thats great. But There are some out there who can't. Our labor rate is lower than alot of dealerships. and we do specialty and custom work, and we do it right unlike most shops.

4 million dollars, your an idiot.

ya ya ya ya

obviously with a number like 4 million it wasn't meant as an actual figure.

but off road shops are not the economical way to go. they're just not.

be pissed, i don't care. it's not a hard lift kit to put on. just like brakes are a quick job but monroe charges hundreds of dollars.

it is what it is.

I think hes referring to the fact that he's in school and usually means certain funds lack.........no matter where you go, its gonna be expensive to do and try to find some locals to lend a hand to save some cash.

thank you

2002wranglerX
04-08-2010, 10:37 AM
and let me get on my soap box for a second here.

This is supposed to be an offroad community on here... yet nobody F'ing offers to teach a kid how to do this? shit, i wouldn't know 1/8th of what i know if it wasn't for people showing me when i first got into this sport. I'm sure meridian does good work, but what does this kid learn from that? What happens when he breaks something and has no idea how it went together because he didn't put the kit on?

I'm really disappointed at everyone thinking what i said is "rude" but yet not offering to help this kid out.

ya just tell him to go to an off road shop and all his problems are solved. I'm sorely disappointed with this. :lame:

Off soap box. I'll post pics of the install next week.

beat1078
04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
someone's driveway!:003:

hahaha yjbeef, i would love to but with school and work i just dont have the time :/

and let me get on my soap box for a second here.

This is supposed to be an offroad community on here... yet nobody F'ing offers to teach a kid how to do this? shit, i wouldn't know 1/8th of what i know if it wasn't for people showing me when i first got into this sport. I'm sure meridian does good work, but what does this kid learn from that? What happens when he breaks something and has no idea how it went together because he didn't put the kit on?

I'm really disappointed at everyone thinking what i said is "rude" but yet not offering to help this kid out.

ya just tell him to go to an off road shop and all his problems are solved. I'm sorely disappointed with this. :lame:

Off soap box. I'll post pics of the install next week.

But someone mentioned it. He said he didn't have time.

2002wranglerX
04-08-2010, 10:46 AM
But someone mentioned it. He said he didn't have time.

gotcha, somehow i missed that on this forum. and i'm not sure how much "someone's driveway" is an offer to help!

i've been talkin to him on jk-forum for months about this.

limegreentj
04-08-2010, 10:47 AM
i would be more than happy to help him and teach him some stuff....but....

i just assumed that was a no go.

2002wranglerX
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
i would be more than happy to help him and teach him some stuff....but....

i just assumed that was a no go.

ya, i guess i was too quick to judge. I missed that part while reading this on my droid.

Super Scout
04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I think the issue is you cant tell exactly what someone means via the interwebs. I get what you saying about helping a guy and teaching him how to do it. But, when I read the "and 4 million dollars later" my first thoughts were TJblair is gonna be pissed lol. I would be too esp if you like where you work and take pride in it. If it was directed at a shop I worked at I would get jacked. That said its always better to learn to do it yourself lol I got no choice not many people work on Scouts Lol.

There have been far to many arguements on this site lately.... why cant we all just along!!!!! :054:

YJBeef
04-08-2010, 11:06 AM
There have been far to many arguements on this site lately.... why cant we all just along!!!!! :054:

but isnt that the pgh way?!? :040:

2002wranglerX
04-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I think the issue is you cant tell exactly what someone means via the interwebs. I get what you saying about helping a guy and teaching him how to do it. But, when I read the "and 4 million dollars later" my first thoughts were TJblair is gonna be pissed lol. I would be too esp if you like where you work and take pride in it. If it was directed at a shop I worked at I would get jacked. That said its always better to learn to do it yourself lol I got no choice not many people work on Scouts Lol.

my experience with off road shops (not meridian) is that they're always expensive.

it's not that hard to toss some springs/shocks/control arms on a rig. i can't see paying 600 bucks (what my buddy was quoted) to put a bolt on lift kit on...

same with the "off road alignments" what a rip off. the one place i talked to about it said 120 bucks for an "off road alignment". :072:

i'm sure meridian is great, but they're not going to be cheap. But that's the cost of having a store front.

beat1078
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
But what about respect?
If your issue is with shops in general you shouldn't have quoted the suggestion to call Meridian. Not only does that attempt to discredit the shop but it is definately disrespectful to Jeff and anyone else that works there.

I don't want to start anything; if you have a generalized issue singling out a place makes it look like you have a problem with them specifically and then all other shops.

Just my observation.

YJBeef
04-08-2010, 11:31 AM
lol Im sorry but that just reminded me of the "so you're Isaac f***kin Newton now?!" from Dazed and Confused........ Anyhow, I think its plainly put now what he meant.

beat1078
04-08-2010, 11:35 AM
LOL...sweet.

muddeprived
04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I had plans for Meridian to fix my shock issue and they quoted me a pretty darn good price. I don't think they charge that much and those guys know their shit so you will get it done right the first time. :)

2002wranglerX
04-08-2010, 11:52 AM
But what about respect?
If your issue is with shops in general you shouldn't have quoted the suggestion to call Meridian. Not only does that attempt to discredit the shop but it is definately disrespectful to Jeff and anyone else that works there.

I don't want to start anything; if you have a generalized issue singling out a place makes it look like you have a problem with them specifically and then all other shops.

Just my observation.

Discredit the shop? Jesus ****ing christ. Lightn up! I just said it was going to be expensive. I have friends who were quoted prices for lift installs from them. I'm not saying its not good work, but its expensive for a bolt on kit.

OverkillZJ
04-08-2010, 11:59 AM
If I had a shop, considering the liability and overhead, I'd charge 4.00001 million myself.

Don't like it, don't pay, whoptee doo!

I charge an arm and a leg for network administrator. If you can do it yourself, great, go for it - if not, you're paying for my time, my knowledge, and my tools. Shops are the same.

2002wranglerX
04-08-2010, 12:01 PM
If I had a shop, considering the liability and overhead, I'd charge 4.00001 million myself.

I charge an arm and a leg for network administrator. If you can do it yourself, great, go for it - if not, you're paying for my time, my knowledge, and my tools. Shops are the same.

What matt said

Ed_Lorentz
04-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Look guys...this isn't really worth fighting about. Obviously the guy wants to get this installed. He has two options, do it himself with some friends (cheap and with no assurance of proper install) or get it done at a shop (more expensive but with piece of mind). Personally if I was doing something to the Jeep that could potentially get me killed or wreck my vehicle I would like the piece of mind that the extra money brings...rather than spend it on repairs later.

As for Meridian, they just recently installed my CB a couple a weeks ago, and I was really happy with the price and the install. If you are quoted a price you don't agree with don't pay it or negotiate....Someone will want to do business with you eventually. Just don't think that because something is easy that it shouldn't take money. TJBLAIR is a professional and as such I expect him to charge a professional rate....but I know I'll get a professional job. While some people don't always think this is true, just remember while he's fixing your car he can't be doing another...so the man has to get paid otherwise we'd all be doing this stuff in our garages.

and really the best way to say you disagree with someones opinion is to offer another, and not make it out like the one store is pricing rediculously when they are in fact really competitive. I think that was the rub. For example instead of saying they charge 4.o million dollars, just say hey you might want to check store Bs prices too before you commit to getting it done there. Sounds a lot less accusational, and leaves everyone with a good taste in their mouth.....OK RANT OVER :) go back to arguing the ethics :)

YJBeef
04-08-2010, 12:35 PM
:042: I miss this place!!

2002wranglerX
04-08-2010, 12:39 PM
:042: I miss this place!!

4 million posts later....

pittim
04-08-2010, 12:56 PM
hahah stups is crazy, so u must be near the domvilles?
i live on the road that is opposite Ryans driveway...so perp to the road he and the domvilles are on.

If you're takin it over to wranglerx's place, lemme know. I need to start learnin shit. I could be an extra set of hands.

DMG
04-08-2010, 01:09 PM
We have done a couple of those lifts and would only charge about 3 million...

:flipoff2:

limegreentj
04-08-2010, 01:10 PM
^ that is a really fair price i think...who wouldnt pay that!?!?

skeebs
04-08-2010, 03:34 PM
^ that is a really fair price i think...who wouldnt pay that!?!?

I'd pay yer mom that :tongue:

Ed_Lorentz
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
You might want to check out this place....they'll do it for 2.9 million dollars

MY HOUSE

Broadbent
04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Hahah is this a joke? Your all fightin over somethin so dumb. I wouldn't have taken the 4 million dollar comment in that way, I have called a few shops around here and it is expensive. Like wrangler said if I'm stuck somewhere and need to fix it I would be ****ed if I didn't know to fix it. Its probably good to learn anyway. I thank you if you were helpin me and recommended a shop, I will keep all of you in mind once someone else asks the same question. I have decided to work with wrangler to put it on. Although I won't have the assurance that I would with a shop putting it on, but I will have atleast a little knowledge to fix it. He was just tryin to help me save some cash.

OverkillZJ
04-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Ya, I don't know what all the bitching is about...

You tend to learn quick by diving in, a basic lift kit isn't a bad place to start. Just remember, when in doubt, get a bigger hammer!

limegreentj
04-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Hahah is this a joke? Your all fightin over somethin so dumb. I wouldn't have taken the 4 million dollar comment in that way, I have called a few shops around here and it is expensive. Like wrangler said if I'm stuck somewhere and need to fix it I would be ****ed if I didn't know to fix it. Its probably good to learn anyway. I thank you if you were helpin me and recommended a shop, I will keep all of you in mind once someone else asks the same question. I have decided to work with wrangler to put it on. Although I won't have the assurance that I would with a shop putting it on, but I will have atleast a little knowledge to fix it. He was just tryin to help me save some cash.

he's a good knowledgeable dude...you have nothing to worry about.

xj jimmy
04-08-2010, 04:43 PM

pm me when and where your gonna do it. i would be more than happy to lend a hand. hell if you guys dont have air i can load up the compressor even....let me know.

2002wranglerX
04-08-2010, 04:53 PM
pm me when and where your gonna do it. i would be more than happy to lend a hand. hell if you guys dont have air i can load up the compressor even....let me know.

I'll pm ya my address. I have air and air tools. A welder and plasma too :-) but we won't need those lol.

I'm right off the wexford/910 exit off 79. Right by marshall middle school. We'll set a day and do it. Maybe this weekend? I was gonna go to wellsville Sunday but the wife needs the tow rig.

Broadbent: are your tires already mounted on your wheels?

JeepSteeler
04-08-2010, 05:01 PM

Where do you store all those arms and legs? That would have to get messy after a bit.:082:

Broadbent
04-08-2010, 05:12 PM
I'll pm ya my address. I have air and air tools. A welder and plasma too :-) but we won't need those lol.

I'm right off the wexford/910 exit off 79. Right by marshall middle school. We'll set a day and do it. Maybe this weekend? I was gonna go to wellsville Sunday but the wife needs the tow rig.

They're not, I was gettin that done tomorrow. Should I have the old wheel's tpms sensors put in the new wheels???

xj jimmy
04-08-2010, 05:38 PM

sat will work best if that works for you guys.

2002wranglerX
04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
They're not, I was gettin that done tomorrow. Should I have the old wheel's tpms sensors put in the new wheels???

If they'll fit use em, or if you wanna sell the stockers leave em and buy new ones. Or buy a pro cal and ditch em entirely

tjblair
04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I have no problem with people doing there own lifts, and you are right he will learn how to work on his own vehicle if he does it himself. the problem I had was that the way wranglerx quoted it made it seem like it was a jab at my place of work. And that pissed me off.

As far as not offering to help him. You guys may want to help him and thats fine. But as for me helping him learn I believe Matt said it best.
"If you can do it yourself, great, go for it - if not, you're paying for my time, my knowledge, and my tools.

Broadbent
04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
If they'll fit use em, or if you wanna sell the stockers leave em and buy new ones. Or buy a pro cal and ditch em entirely

Ya I think I'd rather just get pro call down the road

And I work until 4 on saturday

newyj
04-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I gotta 4" lift sitting on the porch, just waiting, we could have a lift party!!

Sloth_Fratelli
04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Hahah is this a joke? Your all fightin over somethin so dumb.

Ya, I don't know what all the bitching is about...

welcome to pgh-offtopic... where the thread isnt yours, you just give motivation for posts

BigDukeSix
04-09-2010, 08:00 AM
It depends where you live.

Meridian does great work if you live near/ around Butler.

DMG does great work if you live near Pittsburgh.

And for real, who gives a shit who does the work? I thought getting out, having fun and getting it dirty was the point.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself dude, go with a shop that will back up their work.

2002wranglerX
04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I gotta 4" lift sitting on the porch, just waiting, we could have a lift party!!

for a YJ? man, i'm a glutten for punishment but i don't know if i'm that big of a glutten lol. tossing a lift on a JK is a lot easier than dealing with the frozen bushings and shackles on a YJ... you'll probably want to reserve at least a day to do yours.

Ya I think I'd rather just get pro call down the road

And I work until 4 on saturday

well you can either get it now or put wheel sensors in your wheels. Totally up to you.

what's your sunday look like? sat might work but that's kind of a late start. although, if people want to show up and help it'll get done a lot faster.

Broadbent
04-09-2010, 12:55 PM
for a YJ? man, i'm a glutten for punishment but i don't know if i'm that big of a glutten lol. tossing a lift on a JK is a lot easier than dealing with the frozen bushings and shackles on a YJ... you'll probably want to reserve at least a day to do yours.

well you can either get it now or put wheel sensors in your wheels. Totally up to you.

what's your sunday look like? sat might work but that's kind of a late start. although, if people want to show up and help it'll get done a lot faster.

Its up to u man, I'm free tomorrow after 4 for the rest of the day and I'm free all day sunday. So its ur call whatever works best for u works for me

2002wranglerX
04-11-2010, 09:57 AM
we got it installed last night. started around 7pm, finished around midnight. so about 5 hours start to finish.

we have a few things left to finish up. he said it pulls slightly so we'll adjust the castor on that side. also rather than putting a rear trackbar bracket on he's returning the body lift (that he didn't need) and getting an adjustable rear track bar. those rear track bar mounts are notorious for ripping off jk axles... so we'll just do all that at once.

so for now we should be good to go. he drove it home. looked nice. i'm sure pics will follow.

Dick.Breakey
04-11-2010, 04:49 PM
looking forward to the pics

newyj
04-11-2010, 10:38 PM
well, was supposed to do it sunday, but plans fell through. The YJ's aren't that bad just cut everything off and replace the bolts, a thin cutting wheel works great.

village_idiot
04-11-2010, 11:16 PM
we got it installed last night. started around 7pm, finished around midnight. so about 5 hours start to finish.

we have a few things left to finish up. he said it pulls slightly so we'll adjust the castor on that side. also rather than putting a rear trackbar bracket on he's returning the body lift (that he didn't need) and getting an adjustable rear track bar. those rear track bar mounts are notorious for ripping off jk axles... so we'll just do all that at once.

so for now we should be good to go. he drove it home. looked nice. i'm sure pics will follow.
pics or it didnt happen. im sure that thing will wheel like a MOFO now.

tjblair
04-12-2010, 07:15 AM
those rear track bar mounts are notorious for ripping off jk axles.

Actually, Its the front track bar bracket that is notorious for ripping off. (As far as I know) I know of 3-4 times that I have heard of this happining, and twice that I have personally seen this happen. Dana, or Chrystler whoever it may be did a piss poor job welding this bracket on there. Some kits give a gussset to reinforce this spot when lifting the JK. I have never heard that the JK has an issue with the rear trackbar bracket ripping off.

2002wranglerX
04-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Actually, Its the front track bar bracket that is notorious for ripping off. (As far as I know) I know of 3-4 times that I have heard of this happining, and twice that I have personally seen this happen. Dana, or Chrystler whoever it may be did a piss poor job welding this bracket on there. Some kits give a gussset to reinforce this spot when lifting the JK. I have never heard that the JK has an issue with the rear trackbar bracket ripping off.

Actually its the rear with the track bar mount that was the first notorious problem. Skyjacker specifically had the first problems early on. That's why the new aev lifts use u bolts around the rear tubes for the rear track bar bracket. I've personally seen 2 ripped off and dozens on jk forum. The teraflex uses a drop bracket off the frame instead of the axle, but since he was returning the body lift anyway it was worth it just to get an adjustable rear.

The fronts are becoming a problem now that people are going with adjustable track bars and not relocation brackets that tied them into the spring bucket. A company makes a gussett for the front bracket for this reason. The relocation brackets from bds and ft are notorious for egging the front holes out. The bds is lifetime warrenty but by the time you pay shipping its not worth it. Its easier just to spend the $ on a track bar. I've personally seen 2 do this as well and seen several with the same issue on the board. Lots of guys weld washers to fix the brackts..

tjblair
04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Huh, I have never heard of anyone having problems with the rear bracket ripping off on a JK. Thats probably because 90% of what I install is BDS and theirs is droped at the frame. As far as it not being worth the shipping. if you have a BDS warrenty issue bring it to us. we usually get one or two orders from BDS a week. We can stack it on an order and there will be no shipping.

2002wranglerX
04-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Huh, I have never heard of anyone having problems with the rear bracket ripping off on a JK. Thats probably because 90% of what I install is BDS and theirs is droped at the frame. As far as it not being worth the shipping. if you have a BDS warrenty issue bring it to us. we usually get one or two orders from BDS a week. We can stack it on an order and there will be no shipping.

ya the skyjacker bracket was notorious for it. I think they may have redesigned them. Since he was returning the body lift anyway he's just gonna grab an adjustable track bar.

that being said, broadbent, WTF man! where's the pics!