PDA

View Full Version : Driveline vibe

JeepMonky
04-09-2010, 10:40 AM
I have an 04 Rubicon that I bought with a lift already on it. I wanna say maybe 3 or so inches, probably a cheap lift as there are no new shocks(front ones spray bombed black, rears are painted white). Anyways I start getting a vibration around 48 mph that doesn't seem to go away. It probably needs a double cardan drive shaft but was just wondering if it could possibly be anything else before I spend my money. The driveline angle does seem pretty steep. Hope everyone is having a good day.

YJBeef
04-09-2010, 10:43 AM
new tires too??? could get a transfer case drop but the rubi already has the SYE.....

JeepMonky
04-09-2010, 10:58 AM
I ordered new tires last night(265/75/16's). So I was gonna check that first but I don't think its the tires. Sometimes in 4lo I get a slight bump bump by my feet, looked around and pryed on anything I could think it might be but that sound only shows up from time to time.

JEEPIN/J.S.A
04-09-2010, 11:17 AM
are there any exhaust brackets broke or loose? that might be something to look at, but usually the exhaust only vibs when you bog the engine down. the only other vibration i ever had on my tj was the driveshaft after i lifted it, but again you have a ruby. the tires will vib at that speed if they are out of balance, its sometimes followed by death wobble if there really bad. mine did it at 55mph

2002wranglerX
04-09-2010, 11:25 AM
check your u joints in your driveshafts, possible tire balance issues?,

didn't the TJ rubi's have a fixed yoke on the tcase?

YJBeef
04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
check your u joints in your driveshafts, possible tire balance issues?,

didn't the TJ rubi's have a fixed yoke on the tcase?

Im pretty sure they did which would take that issue of the regular TJ's out of the equation.

muddeprived
04-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I have an 04 Rubicon that I bought with a lift already on it. I wanna say maybe 3 or so inches, probably a cheap lift as there are no new shocks(front ones spray bombed black, rears are painted white). Anyways I start getting a vibration around 48 mph that doesn't seem to go away. It probably needs a double cardan drive shaft but was just wondering if it could possibly be anything else before I spend my money. The driveline angle does seem pretty steep. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Remove the rear shaft and drive in 4wd high range up to the speed it vibrates and see if it still vibes. If it doesn't then you know it's the rear driveline angles. Get the sye/cv combo.

JeepMonky
04-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I'll give that remove the driveshaft thing a try and let you guys know. The rubicon has a fixed yoke but only a single cardan driveshaft. Greensburg Machine and Driveline has double cardans for $350(support local business) if thats what I need.

2002wranglerX
04-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I'll give that remove the driveshaft thing a try and let you guys know. The rubicon has a fixed yoke but only a single cardan driveshaft. Greensburg Machine and Driveline has double cardans for $350(support local business) if thats what I need.

has it always done it? if not then it's probably something else.

ridgerunner97
04-09-2010, 02:00 PM
My money is on tires or a bad ujoint starting to show up. My unbalanced super swampers shake like a mofo at 55mph, i hit 60 and its smooth sailing. When I put my A/T's on its smooth as silk all the way to 85mph and probably beyond, ive never gone faster than 85mph with it.

muddeprived
04-09-2010, 02:29 PM
My money is on tires or a bad ujoint starting to show up. My unbalanced super swampers shake like a mofo at 55mph, i hit 60 and its smooth sailing. When I put my A/T's on its smooth as silk all the way to 85mph and probably beyond, ive never gone faster than 85mph with it.

my BALANCED swampers shake like a mofo. :036:

No way around the square-ish swampers......

dbp
04-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Driveline vibes from pinion angles seem to be more prevalent under a hard load at slower speeds...once you're rolling at 45 or so, it's normally going to be the balance on something that is spinning (like driveshaft, could be a ujoint but unlikely, tires out of balance, bent wheel hub, etc).