PDA

View Full Version : Know anyone who repairs floor panels on XJs?

Sleeper
04-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Well pandoras box as been opened..... while putting in the SYE i noticed a small hole in my floorboard on my pass side, right above the exhaust pipe. i began to feel around it and noticed it was soft as well and another small hoe near the first one(about a quarter size). I am sure i can find someone who does this repair in the industrial park but anyone on here do it or know somone who has on theirs? Should i buy the floor panel to repair the whole floor then rhinoline it? I would rather do it right the first time since i plan on keeping this for awhile, let me know and thanks

Whomever said 00 & 01's dont rust on the floor was wrong, lmao

crazy89yj
04-10-2010, 09:20 PM
some guy on craigslist sells the patch panels cheap then just rhino line it

Sleeper
04-10-2010, 09:32 PM
some guy on craigslist sells the patch panels cheap then just rhino line it
ya i just looked and could not find em, but do you just slap it over the existing floor or cut the whole thing out even if the whole floor is not rusted out?

crazy89yj
04-10-2010, 09:34 PM
hes in tarentum i would cut out the bad part for sure then treat it with something

crazy89yj
04-10-2010, 09:36 PM
its parker metal products and the number is 724-242-2472

Sleeper
04-10-2010, 09:45 PM
its parker metal products and the number is 724-242-2472sweet, thanks:038: Now i gotta find someone who can weld good, i unfortunately am not a good welder on thin stuff at all.:017:

crazy89yj
04-10-2010, 09:48 PM
theres epoxy or glue you can use now

Sleeper
04-10-2010, 09:55 PM
theres epoxy or glue you can use nowya somone told me about a product 3M makes but i am hesitant about that kind of stuff compared to welding.

Bill
04-10-2010, 09:55 PM
DMG fixed mine... reasonable price, excellent work!

tjblair
04-10-2010, 10:00 PM
theres epoxy or glue you can use now
Its called body fuser, API sells it. I have used it on my VW. And it is tuff stuff.

limegreentj
04-10-2010, 10:00 PM
ya i just looked and could not find em, but do you just slap it over the existing floor or cut the whole thing out even if the whole floor is not rusted out?

its parker metal products on howes run road.

Sleeper
04-10-2010, 10:04 PM
DMG fixed mine... reasonable price, excellent work!cool, might have to give him a ring

Its called body fuser, API sells it. I have used it on my VW. And it is tuff stuff.hmm, easy to use? What do you do just cut out bad parts and put in the whole panel then that stuff and your done? harder than i make it sound i know.....

tjblair
04-10-2010, 10:11 PM
No thats pretty much it. you want to have it down to bare metal. but other than that its pretty easy stuff to use. I went the extra mile and poped in some stainless rivits around the patch. You have to rent a gun to use it or get an adapter that will fit in your calk gun. If you have alot of area to do I would just rent the gun that API has. The tubes that fit in a regular calk gun are kind of small.

Sleeper
04-10-2010, 10:17 PM
No thats pretty much it. you want to have it down to bare metal. but other than that its pretty easy stuff to use. I went the extra mile and poped in some stainless rivits around the patch. You have to rent a gun to use it or get an adapter that will fit in your calk gun. If you have alot of area to do I would just rent the gun that API has. The tubes that fit in a regular calk gun are kind of small.cool, but um.. what is API? lol

tjblair
04-10-2010, 10:24 PM
It's Autobody products Inc. There if one here in Butler, And I believe that there is also one in New Ken. But any one that sells Auto paint should carry fuser.

Sleeper
04-10-2010, 10:32 PM
It's Autobody products Inc. There if one here in Butler, And I believe that there is also one in New Ken. But any one that sells Auto paint should carry fuser.Ah, ok. I will def look into that. A customer this morning was telling me that his son used the 3m product on his s-10 and it dried like a weld,lol

andrew2516
04-11-2010, 04:51 AM
I did mine, I wouldn't consider anything but welding them in due to the jeep being a unibody. If they are bad enough that you can't just make patch panels and you actually need replacements then make sure you plug weld the panel to the unibody as well and not just the edges.

GrimJeeper01
04-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Armstrong Auto Body in East Liberty does really nice work. I'm sure it'll be a little bit more expensive than doing it yourself but at least you don't have to think twice about the repair. If you go there tell them Monro sent you and they'll give you a super mega uber discount just because we help them out with inspecting the cars that they sell.

Sleeper
04-11-2010, 08:59 AM
I did mine, I wouldn't consider anything but welding them in due to the jeep being a unibody. If they are bad enough that you can't just make patch panels and you actually need replacements then make sure you plug weld the panel to the unibody as well and not just the edges.Well from what i see there is a half dollar sized one and another smaller one but themetal around it is soft.

mxg342
04-11-2010, 08:59 AM
I just got done putting a set of parker metal products pans into my 96. These were pretty decent quality and the fitup was pretty good. I welded in the perimeters and then plug welded down teh unibody supports.

Sleeper
04-11-2010, 09:02 AM
I just got done putting a set of parker metal products pans into my 96. These were pretty decent quality and the fitup was pretty good. I welded in the perimeters and then plug welded down teh unibody supports.All the panels i look at only say up to 96? Aand did you cut the whole panel size out or just the rust and put the panel over the rest?

mxg342
04-11-2010, 09:11 AM
All the panels i look at only say up to 96? Aand did you cut the whole panel size out or just the rust and put the panel over the rest?

I just cut out the bad rust and put the panel in over the rest. I sealed everything with silicone after I was done welding.

The biggest PITA is at the firewall and along the doors. I used self tapping screws to pull the new together with the old and stitch welded these areas. The sealer/adhesive that was used from the factory was pretty mean stuff.

Sleeper
04-11-2010, 09:14 AM
I just cut out the bad rust and put the panel in over the rest. I sealed everything with silicone after I was done welding.

The biggest PITA is at the firewall and along the doors. I used self tapping screws to pull the new together with the old and stitch welded these areas. The sealer/adhesive that was used from the factory was pretty mean stuff.
Thaks for the advice, would the 96 panels work for a 01?

mxg342
04-11-2010, 09:55 AM
I have no idea there. This is my first XJ

andrew2516
04-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Thaks for the advice, would the 96 panels work for a 01?

Nope, theres a bracket that runs under the front seats that the older cherokees didn't have.

Leady
04-11-2010, 12:56 PM
I would say I can do it for you, but I'd be working out of a buddies garage and I'd have to ok it with him first.

Mykal
04-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Rockauto.com is the cheapest I found them.
I am in the process of doing mine in my '95. Sheet metal and self tapping screws but I stiffened up the uni frame with stiffeners and boatsided it so Im not worried about the floor being welded. I would go with the drop in sections though, it would be way easier.

mxg342
04-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Nope, theres a bracket that runs under the front seats that the older cherokees didn't have.

I'm not so sure about this. Granted I don't have a 2000 XJ to look at but my 96 had risers on the front seat mounts on the drivers side and passenger side. The 94 parts jeep didn't have these.

They were just an extra pc of steel so I cut the spot welds out and welded them back in place. The new floors didn't come with the risers.

Now I did get a new riser with the jeep. This was for the driver's side. The guy that sold it to me works at a dealership and said the driver's side was available but the passenger side wasn't. I reused the passenger side.

Sleeper
04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
ya i ma not sure what you guys are talking about here. I will have to look into it but as far as i know all panels i have seen only say up to 96

Mykal
04-13-2010, 08:23 PM
This shows the difference in the seat mounts. Hope it helps.

96+ floor without supports.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/bnewsky/P1010031.jpg

Pre '96 with support that the front of the seat bracket bolts onto.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u22/anodyne33/DSCF0034.jpg

Sleeper
04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
post you mean? My 01 has the lip like that...

Mykal
04-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Both '95's and my '96 do as well. I dont know.

Sleeper
04-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Both '95's and my '96 do as well. I dont know.
LOL, dont know what tpt ell you mike. Another member will hopefully be helping me out then i will be rhino or hurculinering the floors int and ext underneath.

mxg342
04-14-2010, 07:38 AM
My 96 has the extra rail. The 94 parts jeep does not.

anodyne33
04-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Hey, I recognize that green rusted mess. *smacks forehead* That damn thing is still sitting in my garage waiting for me to chop it up with a new full pan sitting in the basement, and it's got another XJ that needs some love to get inspected ahead of it. That is a '96 in the picture.