PDA

View Full Version : Rusty frame...

dbp
04-11-2010, 10:24 AM
So I've got a good bit of rust on my frame and was wondering what is the best way to clean it all up and coat it to prevent it from getting worse?

Obviously to coat it, you should get rid of all the old rust...but being that this Ranger is my DD, I don't really have the option of stripping it down to the frame.

What would happen if you WD-40'd the rusty areas and drove it for a bit, then used a pressure washer after about a week?

--

There is no broken metal that would require cutting pieces out and fabbing/welding new pieces in or anything, but I'd like to get this taken care of before it gets to that point.

highlandercj-7
04-11-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm fixing to do this to my Ram, I plan to start by using a high pressure washer or steam jenny on it, then take a wire brush or wheel and knock off any remaining heavy rust off. You can POR 15 it to try to kill it and keep it from coming back and then top coat it or go straight to the top coat. I am going to take a gal of rustoleum and brish it over every thing super thick.

dbp
04-11-2010, 10:41 AM
good idea. Where can you pick up POR 15 at?

highlandercj-7
04-11-2010, 01:51 PM
IDK if they sell it at 4wd or not. I know they used to. Some of the quality paint stores around here do. If nothing else the Dave and Ed's Canfield Swap Meet in Canfield OH is 29 Apr through 2 May, There's always a big time POR15 dealer there.

tjblair
04-11-2010, 03:12 PM
API carry's POR15

dbp
04-11-2010, 04:54 PM
lol what's API

Super Scout
04-11-2010, 11:02 PM
I would reccomend against painting the frame on a dd esp with restoleum. If anything just do the Por15. Paint cant flex and on a frame esp truck frames the paint will crack and peel off. I have seen it happen a ton of times. Honestly I think your best bet would to clean it up and once a year hit it with some motor oil. I know guys that have done this and their trucks look great even after a ton of years. Latrobe Steel here in latrobe still has Ford F250s from the 80s with the orginal paint job. Their maintenance guy once a year sprays them down with oil. I have heard of other liqueds but oil seems to be the most used lol.

tjblair
04-11-2010, 11:11 PM
lol what's API

API is a paint shop here in in butler. I think there is one in new Ken as well. I'm pretty sure that they have a third location too. Why has noone on here heard of API.