PDA

View Full Version : My Jeep has the shakes

jeep-freak92
04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I recently replaced both wheel bearings and both axle u joints not long after i did this i got a terrible shake while driving over 40. i kno the u joints in the rear drive shaft are bad and i will be replacing them soon but could that be the cause of this shaking/jumping or is it something else?

limegreentj
04-11-2010, 12:39 PM
is it death wobble? check ALL the joints in the front end...tie rods, everything.

any little bit of play will cause it.

jeep-freak92
04-11-2010, 03:16 PM
i just shook my front end about a week ago and it was tight

and what is death wobble

limegreentj
04-11-2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=jeep+death+wobble&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=jeep+death&gs_rfai=&fp=bcdf8cbbf06dc4f

just shaking the front end and it being tight isnt really a way to check. it can feel like everything is tight, but if 1 joint has ANY play at all, that can cause it. worn/out of balance tires, pitman arm, tie rod, axle u joints....many things

muddeprived
04-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Is it doing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiv23dLhMY

Is the steering wheel shaking back and forth?

where does it feel like it's coming from? front or rear?

skeebs
04-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Could be a bad TRE. I know my old Dodge got a case of the shakes at any speed over 40, replaced the TRE's and she was good after that.

jeep-freak92
04-11-2010, 11:09 PM
it doesnt seem like its as bad as that video looked but my wheel does shake back and forth a little if i let go of it durring the shakes and it feels like it starts upfront but thats just what i think it feels like

my dad also said that it could be a bad tire... is there anyway to kno without replacing them?

how would i know if its something that i cant feel when i shake the front end with out replacing all of the parts?

muddeprived
04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
it doesnt seem like its as bad as that video looked but my wheel does shake back and forth a little if i let go of it durring the shakes and it feels like it starts upfront but thats just what i think it feels like

my dad also said that it could be a bad tire... is there anyway to kno without replacing them?

how would i know if its something that i cant feel when i shake the front end with out replacing all of the parts?

Swap front tires to the rear and see if the shakes follow.

tjblair
04-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Most likley a tie rod end, or a loose trackbar. Have someone get in the jeep and with it shut off yank the wheel back and forth real hard. While they are doing that watch the trackbar where it attaches to the axel. See if it is slopy on the mount.
If that's not it Jack up the front and check the tie rod ends all four of them. ( well one is actually part of the draglink.) While it is in the air check the ball joints. Measure your toe( not the ones on your feet) set it about 1/4 toe'd in. If it still wobbles rotate your tires. If it is still there check the steering stabilizer for a dead spot.

Seismik
04-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Nice video! I always wondered what it looked like from outside the vehicle. I DEFINETLY know what it looks/feels like from inside....

BTW, it might be the same thing, but not as bad as the video, the severity can depend on MANY things, tire backspacing included...

limegreentj
04-12-2010, 10:02 AM
^ this is true....

and one day i was coming home from work, i got the DW really bad, and some old man was coming down the road, when he saw the wheels shaking like that, he started making the hand motions....it was actually pretty funny.

cityslicker
04-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Is it doing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiv23dLhMY

Is the steering wheel shaking back and forth?

where does it feel like it's coming from? front or rear?

My death wobble made this look like NOTHING!!!!

skeebs
04-12-2010, 01:35 PM
ahhh, I remember my first case of death wobble :090:

cityslicker
04-12-2010, 01:39 PM

I think your remembering your fist case of the clap.. :036:

skeebs
04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I think your remembering your fist case of the clap.. :036:
Maybe so, but if your mom kept herself a little more clean I wouldn'ta had that problem :overkill:

LOL, I kid I kid

cityslicker
04-12-2010, 02:15 PM
dude, my moms got the herpies... your ****t!! :042:

skeebs
04-12-2010, 04:26 PM
lol, nice

limegreentj
04-12-2010, 04:33 PM
he's right....she does have the herps

:puke:

Seismik
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM

Me too. I called Jay and told him that my wheel was gonna fall off or something. For about a week, he laughed at me and told me it wasn't that bad. We were going on a trip downtown (to see Lewis Black - I love him...), I knew Rt 28 was gonna make it do it, so I made him drive. I got "Holy hell, THAT's what it's been doing?!?" He thought it was something much more minor that his old Chevy's used to do (head shake I think they call it).

I think all Jeeps should come with a warning that your vehicle may unexpectedly try to rip the steering wheel out of your hands....

Doty152
04-20-2010, 10:45 PM
My 05 TJ is doing that horribly now, is there any place that can diagnose it for cheap?

limegreentj
04-20-2010, 10:52 PM
you can do it yourself...have someone wiggle the steering wheel and look for play at all the joints and links.

and if your tires are worn ****ed up thats another part of it...if your hub assembly has play in it thats part of it also