PDA

View Full Version : Creating the John Deere Jeep...

Ed_Lorentz
04-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Ok, so in order to go along with alot of the other so called crazy colored Jeeps out there (pink camo, lime green). I'm thinking about taking my Jeep to the country and back with a John Deere Paint job. As some of you know I have a good deal of surface rust on the frame and underside of the Jeep. So hopefully starting today...I'll begin wire wheeling various sections and applying a liberal coat of rustoleum primer

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/020066/020066776947sm.jpg (http://www.lowes.com/pl_Paint+Interior+and+or+Exterior_4294856771__s?Nt k=i_products&Ntt=Rust-Oleum&cm_cr=Paint-_-Web+Activity-_-Paint_A2_Activity-_-SC_Paint_Area2-_-15103_9#)

and then I wanted to spice the Jeep up with a little John Deere Yellow underneath that I was going to apply over the top of the primer....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/150/3449805.jpg

Obviously some people are not going to like it...but I don't care I do and its my jeep....

What type of advice can you guys give me about wire wheeling the rust away....should I do this in small steps and paint as I go...or should I wire wheel the whole thing and then paint....

My biggest concern is I just want to stop the rust :):fsniper:

Thanks
Ed

cityslicker
04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I haven't seen Valspar in Jhon Deer yellow before. where'd you get that?

Ed_Lorentz
04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Tractor Supply...I also noticed that Rustoleum comes in John Deere Yellow as well....Do you guys think I should primer it with rustoleum first and then paint a color over it or just buy the rustoleum yellow and toss it on after I wheel the rust off.

Rock_Goddess
04-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Tractor Supply...I also noticed that Rustoleum comes in John Deere Yellow as well....Do you guys think I should primer it with rustoleum first and then paint a color over it or just buy the rustoleum yellow and toss it on after I wheel the rust off.

Did they have Rustoleum in pink?? :)

JDGreen04TJ
04-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Can't wait to see this!

Ed_Lorentz
04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't know how it will turn out....but I think a yellow chasis and a green body with black accents will turn out pretty awesome.

Beth I didn't see it in Pink but I want to thank you because your pink camo thread inspired this design to make my Jeep unique...Plus I get to drive around with the top down with she thinks my tractors sexy all day long....

Now to complete the looks I'm thinking about getting the actual decals from a vintage deere and place them on the hood and around the side...

I'd like to try and get a custom Deere Decal made for the rear with a modern twist to finish the look....but we'll see...of course the JD mats are going to be standard...

Anyone want to help with the wiring and painting your more than welcome to stop by...I'd be happy to return the favor should the need arise.

Lumpy
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Subscribed...wanna see what this is going to look like.

I think it'll look alright.

Ed_Lorentz
04-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Here is the inspiration for the John Deere Jeep

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/John_Deere.jpg

Of course I will not be doing the yellow rims that would just be too much....plus there is already one in butler with yellow rims and I think thats enough :)

Trying to decide if I want to put the neoprene yellow seat covers in to complete the look...but I'm definately doing the hood decals....

Going out after work to get the angle grinder and the paint that I need..any ideas on whether or not I should primer before putting on the yellow rustoleum...I'm thinking the first thing to get its new paint will be the skidplate...because I can take it off and see what I think before I start doing up the frame.....

What do you think sound like a good idea?

limegreentj
04-12-2010, 04:55 PM
talk to powerguy

he can probably help with the decals.

jackb1
04-12-2010, 05:02 PM
If you're going to do it, you need the yellow rims to do it right.

That being said, I don't like the idea... but as long as you do, screw what I think.

limegreentj
04-12-2010, 05:10 PM
^

THIS!

exactly my thoughts!

Ed_Lorentz
04-12-2010, 05:37 PM
^ WAIT YOUR JEEP IS LIME GREEN....How can you not like the tractor jeep ???

I have black rims that match the color scheme nicely, plus I was thinking about it till I saw the other one in butler...it just didn't work for me...Plus that Yellow is just going to get all jacked on the rims anyways...where as the frame is at least tucked up an has some clearance..

limegreentj
04-12-2010, 05:46 PM
thats why i said, who cares what anyone else thinks.

but my jeep is lime green, which is a mix of green and yellow...not both of them seperately...LOL

Rock_Goddess
04-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Glad I inspired you! lol I say go for it.. as Brandon mentioned in my thread, it will be different and it's yours do what you want!

tjblair
04-12-2010, 05:59 PM
I would use POR15 or chasis saver on the frame to stop\kill the rust. And then paint yellow over POR15.(forget the primer) just priming and useing rustolium will not last near as long IMO and you will be toutching it up every year.

notmYJ
04-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Yes, prime it before you paint it. If you don't it will peel up and rust very quickly.

Not a fan of the whole john deere thing, but its not mine, so have fun. If it was me, and I was going to paint mine in some scheme, I would do it like a caterpillar bulldozer. I just like the cat yellow better. But then I'd prob buy MFSteves MJ since the motor already looks like a cat....

Ed_Lorentz
04-12-2010, 08:33 PM
DAY #1 I FOUGHT THE RUST AND THE RUST WON.....

So I tried to take off the skid plate and brush it, but I couldn't loosen the bolts with a wrench or sockets...I poured some liquid wrench on there and let it sit but no luck...Guess I'm going to need an impact wrench to loosen these bad boys up..So day #1 is definately a failure. Except for the fact that I found some John Deere Yellow Rustoleum at Lowes in Butler and didn't have to special order it. I also got a new DeWalt grinder to help make the job a little easier...

Oh well guess the project is on hold till the weekend since I have to work late the rest of the week.

limegreentj
04-12-2010, 08:39 PM
get a nice cup style wire wheel for that grinder...you'll fall in love..lol

Krod
04-12-2010, 08:39 PM
The impact will spin the nut-serts, and the skid will not come off.

Use the torch to heat the bolts to cherry, then turn them out by hand. If your frame is that rusty, those bolts are seized. An Impact wrench on them will only make you hate life.

limegreentj
04-12-2010, 08:44 PM
ive used an impact on mine, but its a tj, so its a little newer.

i think the tj's had a nut welded in the frame

tjblair
04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
DAY #1 I FOUGHT THE RUST AND THE RUST WON.....

So I tried to take off the skid plate and brush it, but I couldn't loosen the bolts with a wrench or sockets...I poured some liquid wrench on there and let it sit but no luck...Guess I'm going to need an impact wrench to loosen these bad boys up..So day #1 is definately a failure. Except for the fact that I found some John Deere Yellow Rustoleum at Lowes in Butler and didn't have to special order it. I also got a new DeWalt grinder to help make the job a little easier...

Oh well guess the project is on hold till the weekend since I have to work late the rest of the week.
Just so you know when you do get those loose, You will need to hold the transmision\t-case up with somthing. a jack will do, or even a heavy stray around the frame and under the tranny.

JEEPIN/J.S.A
04-12-2010, 09:35 PM
being a deere fan i think its a great idea, good luck with it!!!

highlandercj-7
04-13-2010, 08:52 AM
I love John Deere's too, so it's all good. I agree the wheels need to go yellow to complete the look.

Ed_Lorentz
04-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Why will an impact wrench make me hate life on with the nuts?

Jeff...thanks for the tip on the Tranny....I'm thinking I would have been in big trouble since I didn't have Jacks or anything there to hold it up.

Do you think I would just be better taking the bolts out and replacing them while their out ?

Thanks for all the help,
Ed

notmYJ
04-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Because, the impact will break the captured nnut loose inside of the frame rail. Allowing the bolt and the nut to spin freely in the frame. I am dealing with this right now. 1 of the 6 bolts spun the nutsert. The fix isn that bad if you have a welder and a grinder with a cut off wheel. I'll take pics if you want. Going down to do it in a few min.

Ed_Lorentz
04-13-2010, 12:07 PM
I could get a cut off wheel for the grinder...but I'm pretty sure these bolts are all seized up...I dumped like half a bottle of liquid wrench around it last night....hopefully it will work in and loosen it up...otherwise I think I have to go impact wrench on these MFs...

I don't understand how heating a bolt up to cherry is going to help the matter...would the bolt just get soft and mess up the threads..

limegreentj
04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
no, heat expands things, and will break the rust loose, you dont have to heat it up to cherry red, but get it hot for sure.

notmYJ
04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Trust me you do not want to use an impact. If you do I promise, you will be cutting open your frame to replace the nutserts. If your ok with that, then have at it. I have it done it one a handful of jeeps, and i dont mind it, cause i have done it so many times. The reason I have done it so many times is because to many people hit those bolts with an impact gun.

Heat up the bolt and use a breaker bar. Put a pipe on the breaker bar if you need more leverage. That will lessen the chance of breaking the nutsert loose. The heat will not mess up the threads, but it will break the corrosion and rust, and allow it to back out.

Do what you want, but if you do use the impact, you will cuting a hole in the frame, guaranteed. With a breaker bar, you might not have to.....

Ed_Lorentz
04-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Ok....so I'm guessing if I torch this thing I just aim the flame at the bolt...because I don't see these nutserts you keep talking about...then pry on it with a breaker bar until it gives...I'm not a big fan of cutting the frame...I just want this damn thing off so that I can paint it :)

notmYJ
04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
No. Heat the bolt, then un screw it with a breaker bar. Not a pry bar. The nutsert (or captured nut) is inside the frame. It is what that bolt screws into. You can t see it because its inside the frame. I'm not telling you to try to pull the bolt out of the threads. But heat it up, and unwind it like you normally would. If you can get it hot enough, it will wind out with a problem.

Heat the bolt and the surounding area. put a breaker bar, or ratchet, or wrench, or what ever tool you have that will fit the head of the bolt, and unscrew it.

Ed_Lorentz
04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
I meant breaker bar....I don't know where I got pry bar from (probably the frustration over the darn bolts not giving)....So once I heat the bolt and surrounding area with a torch I start working on it before it has a chance to cool right...Do you think that the liquid wrench I put on there will cause problems with this (Is it flamable)...

limegreentj
04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
yes its flammable, but it will just burn off...dont be scared

Ed_Lorentz
04-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Dude fire scares the shoot out of me....anything else in that area that I should be concerned waving fire around that might light and freak me out...but isn't really a problem?

Ed_Lorentz
04-13-2010, 01:51 PM
So what is holding these nutserts in place...are they welded to the frame? or am I going to have to chase them around once I get these bolts out ?

A plumbers torch should do the trick correct?

notmYJ
04-13-2010, 02:28 PM
They are tacked to the inside of the frame. IF you can get the bolts out, they will stay where they are. It wouldn't be a bad idea to run a thread chaser in the hole if you have one.

A plumbers torch might do it. It won't get the bolt red hot, but it might put enough heat into it to break it loose. You will want to get it as hot as possible, hold the flame to it for at least 5 min. Then imediately try to wind the bolt out.

There is nothin on the passenger side frame rail to worry about. The fuel and brake line are on the driver side. Even then, you are heating such a small area that you shouldn't have any problems. Just keep the flame directed at the bolt.

The liquid wrench will burn off and make a lot of smoke but you won't have an explosion from it. You should have an exinguisher in the garage anyway, right? ;)

Lumpy
04-13-2010, 02:34 PM
A little bit of fire won't hurt you none. Keeps ya heart beating good. Now a lot of fire might be an issue but as long as it stays in the frame you'll be fine. Besides the extra heat will help you get the bolts out.

Don't be skered.

Ed_Lorentz
04-13-2010, 02:35 PM
I work outside...so I'll have to take the extinguisher out with me :) So your thinking I should be ok as long as I keep the flame directed at the bolt...

Can someone explain the concept here...I don't understand how heating it and having it expand make it looser...is it the fact that when it contracts the rust is not holding as tightly....

Thanks
Ed

notmYJ
04-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Read. http://autorepair.about.com/od/quicktips/ss/heat_removal.htm Then google for more. We should have been more specific, you dont want to heat the bolt its self, but rather heat the frame around the bolt.

Deadman 94 xj
04-13-2010, 02:47 PM
"Heat the hole, freeze the shaft!"

This was a popular saying for us in High School lol.

Ed_Lorentz
04-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Aahhhhhh....I get it now :) all it took was freeze the shaft warm the hole :)

Makes absolute perfect sense now....I was totally confused by how making the bolt expand was going to help this issue

Ed_Lorentz
04-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Ok once I get these bolts out should I replace them...with new ones that aren't corroded or will they be fine.

notmYJ
04-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Depends how they look. With the factory skid, I like to keep the original bolts as they fit the ball taper on the skid and help locate it where it should be.

Hit them with a wire wheel or a wire brush just to clean them up. If they look good, use them. You can replace them with regular bolts if you need to, with out any problems though. They are 1/2x13, not sure of the length though.

Ed_Lorentz
04-13-2010, 05:56 PM
I didn't think about hitting them with the wire wheel....I'll just do that :) Since I don't really have time to pull the plate until the weekend...I think I'm going to keep hitting it with liquid wrench at least once a day to help loosen things up...Do you think that will help it.

Krod
04-13-2010, 05:59 PM
And for goodness sake if you do manage to get them out, coat them in silver anti-seize before you put them back in. Or you get to do all this over again the next time!

Ed_Lorentz
04-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah trust me I'm not too happy about having to do it once....let alone having to do it again...I'm definately hitting these up with anti seize....the unfortunate thing is it looks like I might be doing this alot as I clean off the frame and various other parts...as they all look pretty rusted in

Ed_Lorentz
04-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to loan me a set of Jack Stands for the weekend...so that I can support the tranny while the skidplate is off....

If you could that would be really awesome......or if you don't trust me which I understand your more than welcome to come have a beer on my stone patio while I use said Jackstand...

Fourx4sr4me
04-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Ed, yo can borrow mine just let me know how how tall you need.

Ed_Lorentz
04-16-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't know John how tall do you think I should go....I would assume these jacks would just be to hold the tranny in place while the skid is out...I probably have about a foot and a half of clearance between there and the ground....Thoughts ????

Anyone?

Ed_Lorentz
04-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Ok...so I tried to torch the bolts off and that didn't work. Don't know if it was hot enough or not but I couldn't get them to budge at all. So I gave up on the bolts and started stripping the frame to try out my new grinder....So I started stripping the frame, and I get about a quarter of the way and the rain starts coming down...putting an end to my work for the day (I don't have a garage) Oh well I know the grinder works...unlike the bolts....Looking like a brand new frame under there.

Anymore ideas of how I can pop these bolts....???

limegreentj
04-17-2010, 05:06 PM
borrow my oxy acetylene setup.

Ed_Lorentz
04-17-2010, 06:07 PM
HAHA...ok..I got a better idea...how about I come down to see you and you help me crack these bast@rds... because I don't even know how to operate one of those things... Good news is the grinder kicks @ss and stripped the rust off like nothing...but I think a cup is going to work better than the wheel...I can't get into the tight areas with the 4in wheel....Any suggestions on this?

steveg0690
04-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Use a cup brush for most everything. Use a hand held wire brush everywhere you can't reach.

notmYJ
04-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Here is the process for replacing the captured nuts if you break the nut loose, instead of the skid plate bolt. Its really not that bad if you have a welder and a cutting wheel....

First you cut the head of the bolt then cut a window into the frame

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/regalracer1979/Jeep/IMG00066.jpg

Pop it open and you will see the offending nut and bolt. Its hard to see it, but its in there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/regalracer1979/Jeep/IMG00067.jpg

Pull it out, you may need to persuade it with a hammer and a punch from the bottom of the frame. Clean the inside of the frame very well. This is why a big window is important, it makes cleaning the metal easier with a sanding disc on a grinder. Then, put the new bolt and nut though the frame snug them up, and tack the bolt onto the frame. I like to weld it pretty good so it doesn't happen again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/regalracer1979/Jeep/IMG00069.jpg

When your done, clean up the outside of the frame, buzz it together, grind paint, done. I didnt grind and paint yet, nut you get the idea....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/regalracer1979/Jeep/IMG00070.jpg

Ed_Lorentz
04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Ok so I spent the evening at Vinnie's working on the Jeep...We attempted to get the skid plate off but it didn't work...and we were nervous about breaking off the nutserts so we moved onto a new distributor cap, and rotor...both went in pretty easy but then led to not being able to start the vehicle...after about an hour of tinkering we realized that apparently the old owner had put the wires on in the wrong firing order....leaving me with only about 2 cyl that were working...after some other tinkering we figure out the correct pattern and the Jeep is now lot more powerful and running on all cylinders...this dramatically helped the stalling that I was having, but still hasn't fixed it 100%....Guess I might have to get a pro to look at it to make the final adjustments....but the power is almost scary now

So the next time I hear anyone complain about the power of a 4cyl...I'm going to let them know what it was like driving on 2cyls for 3 weeks

Thanks Vinnie for all the help

toocheaptosmoke
04-19-2010, 10:01 PM
You finally get to use fifth gear then? :042:

steveg0690
04-19-2010, 10:25 PM
...apparently the old owner had put the wires on in the wrong firing order....leaving me with only about 2 cyl that were working...
So the next time I hear anyone complain about the power of a 4cyl...I'm going to let them know what it was like driving on 2cyls for 3 weeks

Thanks Vinnie for all the help

I have some trouble believing this...however I did not hear it run, but for a 4cyl to only be running on 2 cylinders and making it down the road is unlikely. Are you sure that you guys didn't mess up the wires on the cap when you put it back together the first time? It is very easy to get them swapped accidently. Glad to hear it is running better though. If you need some help, I live in Butler. I work a lot, but I may be able to get together with you if you get in a pinch.

limegreentj
04-19-2010, 10:31 PM
You finally get to use fifth gear then? :042:

i think i used 5th gear 1 time since ive owned my jeep...LOL!!

I have some trouble believing this...however I did not hear it run, but for a 4cyl to only be running on 2 cylinders and making it down the road is unlikely. Are you sure that you guys didn't mess up the wires on the cap when you put it back together the first time? It is very easy to get them swapped accidently. Glad to hear it is running better though. If you need some help, I live in Butler. I work a lot, but I may be able to get together with you if you get in a pinch.

i thought that too, i know those little 4 poppers are dogs, and i figured that one only running on half the cylinders probably wouldnt make it out of my driveway...LOL

Ed_Lorentz
04-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Trust me I know we didn't mess it up...we marked the cap before taking them off the first time...I know its hard to believe but trust me I was definately running on 2 cyl. I could barely make it up a hill...and trust me there were several times I didn't get out of the drive way...Now time to get the idle adjusted so I dont stall

toocheaptosmoke
04-19-2010, 10:42 PM
First thing I did was mark on the cap where the wires went, they had the firing order as 1-2-3-4 CCW. I was thinking, damn, these little 4 bangers have an easy firing order to remember. Changed the cap and rotor, wires back on the same way, she was bit hard to start but eventually fired up and was running a little rough and doggy like it was before. Messed around a while and seen the firing order marked on the intake, 1-3-4-2. Tried that order CCW, she sputtered a bit, threw them on CW and bam, running 5x better than ever. Still idles down real low and stalls once in a while, but not like before where you couldn't let off the gas or it would stall. At that point we were just glad it was running and the rear brakes weren't locked up. :042:

Ed_Lorentz
04-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Vince: "It looks like you got some brake issues"
Me: Oh shit....
Vince: "Yeah, it won't spin freely and locks up"
Me: You know the emergency brake is on
Vince: No....That would probably be the problem....

toocheaptosmoke
04-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Wasn't even any beer involved. :042: How many times you lose your keys?

Ed_Lorentz
04-19-2010, 11:01 PM
About six times....only to realize that they were snapped securely to my pants with a caribeaner....Thank god there wasnt beer involved...that could have just made the night so much funnier...Thanks again Vinnie, I owe you and John a cookout at the house for all the help you guys have given me....and yes beer will be included...just no Jeep work

Lumpy
04-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Good deal man!!! Ya the correct order tends to help out a bit having them hit wrong on a big motor makes a difference can't imagine what is like on a 4.

Ed_Lorentz
04-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Imagine trying to drive a push lawmower with 33's....yep its that bad

Ed_Lorentz
04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
So I have ground off some more rust....(pics to follow) now I'm beginning to wonder if I should start putting the chasis saver on as I go...or should I finish the grinding before I start with the paint...Any suggestions??

steveg0690
04-25-2010, 09:50 PM
If you are cleaning it down to bare metal, and plan on leaving it that way until you get more time to work on it, spray it with some rattle can paint to seal up the metal. Otherwise the bare metal will flash rust over night, and continue until you get it sealed. My suggestion is to wait until you can do everything over a weekend.

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Anyone want to help with the wiring and painting your more than welcome to stop by...I'd be happy to return the favor should the need arise.

hey, so im pretty sure id be down to help, cause i want to undercoat my truck, so id be willing to stop by for the return favor. and i wanna see this yellow go on :026: i didnt look before i posted, so if your toooooo far expect an edit, but if not, then im down.

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 10:27 PM
i realize after some reading, im FAR behind where u actually are haha. but, if u still need some help, let me know. im always down to help.

Powerguy37
04-25-2010, 10:44 PM
When you're ready for the stickers, let me know. I have the John Deere logos and can make them.

Ed_Lorentz
04-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Hey Dana, Cool Deal - I got the OFF ROAD ones the other day...My wife was the first to open the envelope and was like who is this Dana that sending you mail...in that are you cheating voice...then the sigh of releif when she realized it was something for the Jeep.

Dick - I would love some help...I have a ton of rust that I need to take off and not enough time in the day...so two grinders would make it go a lot faster especially since I don't have the frame off and I'm doing this on my back. I live in Butler, let me know when your free...I'll supply the beer

Steve - Will I have to restrip it before I put the chasis saver on if I paint it with the rattle can...or just sand and paint over it?

Lumpy
04-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Hey Dana, Cool Deal - I got the OFF ROAD ones the other day...My wife was the first to open the envelope and was like who is this Dana that sending you mail...in that are you cheating voice...then the sigh of releif when she realized it was something for the Jeep.

:081::081::081:

Thats good stuff!!!

limegreentj
04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
ed, are you using one of these?

http://im3.ebidst.com/upload_big/5/6/9/1249512685-30044-0.jpg

Ed_Lorentz
04-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Hey Brandon....I've got it on my wish list but right now all I have is the 4in wire wheel that has the spokes out to the side....its doing wonders on the rust but its tough going in the tight spots. I bought a 2in wire wheel for the drill so that I can get into these areas but haven't had a chance to try it out since it rained yesterday....

There is a ton of surface rust on this thing so its not like I can do it all in one weekend....On friday I worked two hours to clear off about 8 inches on the skid plate and the surrounding area...I'm hoping when I get the cup that this gets easier as I work my way around the frame.

Its just going to be a process....everything is looking good and smooth right now so I'm taking my time and doing my best to get every piece of rust off that I can....so that I can protect the frame and save my investment...and never have to do this again if I can help it....

I'll be honest though its really testing my patience...I just want to get her done...so I've been trying to get out there every chance I have and do at least some grinding...Can't say the wife is fond of it...but shes noticing a difference in it and has been encouraging by mentioning how clean it looks now...

limegreentj
04-26-2010, 12:47 PM
they have those cup wheels at 380 auction for like 5 bucks or so..i bought one a year ago and its still going strong. you can borrow mine for a bit if you want. but ill need it back when i start the floors in the white xj.

you can also try aircraft stripper (i think i saw it at wal mart a while back) that shit'll kill you though...LOL be careful with it if you use it.

Ed_Lorentz
04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey Brandon,

Thanks for the offer....but its not the money...I just found out the wife is pregnant...so I've been too busy with that to focus on the grinding this week...All I can say is morning sickness is a _________....hopefully if the rain lets up this week I'll be heading to home depot and getting one..I meant to pick it up the day I got the grinder but somehow grabbed the wrong wire brush...

What is this aircraft stripper....does it peel the rust off ??? I've never heard of it but I ain't looking to die either :) Have you ever used it? What did you think?

JEEPIN/J.S.A
04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
[quote=Ed_Lorentz;208745]I just found out the wife is pregnant...quote]

Hey congrats, that is great news!!! I hope all goes well for you guys.

Lumpy
04-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the offer....but its not the money...I just found out the wife is pregnant...

Congrats man!!! That's good stuff right there...:icon_super:

Ed_Lorentz
04-26-2010, 03:44 PM
She definately did not take kindly to the fact that I wanted to register for a new V8 and a Cup Grinder....on the baby registery

Oh well at least I get to get a Jeep Stroller, anyone want to help me install the lift kit and the 33s... I might have to regear it so that she can push it but I bet it would be a task that we can definately create a build thread for...

96greenxjjeep
04-26-2010, 03:57 PM
hey Ed do you live down the hill from the police barracks in butler

Ed_Lorentz
04-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Ben, I'm guessing you saw the Jeep :) Yeah thats my house

96greenxjjeep
04-26-2010, 04:06 PM
yea i drive by there all the time i was wondering

Ed_Lorentz
04-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Thats me there right on the corner....feel free to stop by :)

96greenxjjeep
04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
yea i might just do that if i see you out

Ed_Lorentz
04-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Are you from nearby...??? or do you just commute that way

96greenxjjeep
04-26-2010, 04:24 PM
i live in slippery rock but im also always in butler doing somthing

Ed_Lorentz
04-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah if you see me out and about please feel free to stop by...My wife and I are usually doing something outside during the summer

96greenxjjeep
04-26-2010, 04:39 PM
ok will do

limegreentj
04-26-2010, 04:57 PM
oh wow! congrats man...thats good news!

Ed_Lorentz
04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Yeah....so now I have two babies... JD Jeep and Baby (yet to be named)....I wonder if I can somehow sneak the word jeep or john deer into the babies name :)

Krod
04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
What is this aircraft stripper....does it peel the rust off ??? I've never heard of it but I ain't looking to die either :) Have you ever used it? What did you think?

Its actually called Aircraft Remover.
It does nothing for the rust, but will remove EVERYTHING else that is paint/powdercoat.

Did my entire YJ frame in ~ 1 hour. Wiped the old factory coating off with a rag and it got nearly 99% of it off without any grinding/sanding.

This video shows it working:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_DE96qt5CI

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj136/satnav9r20/Jeep%20YJ%20Rebuild/IMG_0141.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj136/satnav9r20/Jeep%20YJ%20Rebuild/IMG_0143.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj136/satnav9r20/Jeep%20YJ%20Rebuild/IMG_0142.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj136/satnav9r20/Jeep%20YJ%20Rebuild/IMG_0144.jpg

http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10901

DO NOT get this shit on your skin. Wear gloves and long sleeves/jeans. Do it outside away from everything else. It is a powerful odor and will burn if you inhale it.

other than that....lol....it works great! :D

steveg0690
04-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Steve - Will I have to restrip it before I put the chasis saver on if I paint it with the rattle can...or just sand and paint over it?

Just clean and re-paint. It is very important to keep the steel sealed up while you aren't working on it. Otherwise it will just rust all over again. Just a quick coat with a rattle can will usually buy you a couple of weeks. That gives you enough time to get it all done before paint. If you are going to use Tractor and Implement paint from tractor supply, brush it on. It will last a lot longer and do a nicer job.

steveg0690
04-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Aircraft stripper is great, but it's not what you need. I've stripped entire trucks with it in a matter of a few hours. It is very bad for you, I have thick plastic gloves that go all the way up to my shoulder. That is what I wear when I use it.

doublejz
04-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Aircraft stripper is great, but it's not what you need. I've stripped entire trucks with it in a matter of a few hours. It is very bad for you, I have thick plastic gloves that go all the way up to my shoulder. That is what I wear when I use it.

yea I learned that shit burns after a while if you leave it on your skin...

Dozer45
04-26-2010, 11:21 PM
where would you even get aircraft stripper? i have an annoying neighbor lol. just kidding, but not really

limegreentj
04-26-2010, 11:22 PM
i think i saw it at wal mart when i bought my bed liner...

jackb1
04-27-2010, 08:45 AM
What is this aircraft stripper....

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/TPC/fun-pics001/201-300/068b.jpg

Deadman 94 xj
04-27-2010, 09:39 AM
^^ :107: :042:

limegreentj
04-27-2010, 10:08 AM
i didnt see that at walmart!!! i saw this

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/1284.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/1286.jpg

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/1282.jpg

Deadman 94 xj
04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Oh man..

lol

Ed_Lorentz
04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Hey guys I went to start up the Jeep yesterday and I realized my fuel gauge wasn't working....Any ideas what could be causing this..... SEAFOAM?

Lumpy
04-30-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't think the Foam will help with this one...Is there gas in it??

Ed_Lorentz
04-30-2010, 03:41 PM
There is gas in it....I was wondering more if the foam could be the cause of a sensor malfunction or something along those lines??? I know it wouldn't help here.

Ed_Lorentz
05-06-2010, 11:32 AM
So I finally gave in and took the Jeep to Steiners to get the idle fixed....hopefully I'll know today what the actual cause of the problem was. I just couldnt take anymore.....Plus with the baby coming I didnt have the time to search every inch with all the other restore work I'm trying to do.

Good news is that for Saturdays Go Topless event I shouldn't have to worry about stalling or running out of gas...cause he's fixing that too :)

Ed_Lorentz
05-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Alright, I just got the diagnosis from the Mechanic...he says there may be a bad valve or clogged fuel filter. Neither of which he says he does. Does anyone know of a good repair guy in Butler that will handle these issues..or know how to do them themselves.

Thanks
Ed

Lumpy
05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Well I'm not sure how good of a mechanic he is if he can't change a fuel filter. I think you should be able to changed the filter without too much trouble unless I'm missing something. I'd go with that before tinkering with the valves.

mrdylanr
05-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Fuel filter is a 5 min fix in the driveway.

Ed_Lorentz
05-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Good Deal I will try that this weekend maybe :) ....If not any recommendations for mechanics.

Lumpy
05-06-2010, 01:08 PM
You really don't need to pay someone for the fuel filter change. The hardest part of doing it is finding it. After that its not bad. I have changed many of them on many different vehicles, never on a Jeep though. I haven't taken my junk to a mechanic in many many years so I'm not too much help on that one. I know a guy on 65 just North of New Brighton but thats not Butler.

Ed_Lorentz
06-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Ok I got her running smoothly again and finally got a chance to wheel her a little....now I want to tackle the rust...Anyone want to come to a rust removal and undercoat party in July....I will provide burgers, beer, and a campfire.... :)