PDA

View Full Version : Why do we not have a "Search Posts" option?

Dick.Breakey
04-24-2010, 06:21 PM
on my other forums that are set up similar to this one, theres a search my posts option. just curious why we dont have it here. it is a monetary issue? can we start a fundraiser for it? cause its really useful. i have a terrible memory, and would like to go back to the threads i posted, that may be older.

notmYJ
04-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Click on your name to left of the post, this will take you to your profile. Then click the "Statistics" tab in the profile. Right at the top you will be able to get "Find all posts by" or "find threads started by"

Also, you can do this if click search at the top of the page, then click "advanced search". At the top of the page you can type in any screen name you wish. Just under the box you type in the name, you can select find posts made by or threads started by.

Then click search at the bottom. Viola. You just found what you were looking for.

Bill
04-24-2010, 08:16 PM
on my other forums that are set up similar to this one, theres a search my posts option. just curious why we dont have it here. it is a monetary issue? can we start a fundraiser for it? cause its really useful. i have a terrible memory, and would like to go back to the threads i posted, that may be older.

You can use the search function and set the parameters to a user. Set that to only search your posts and you get what you are asking for.

OverkillZJ
04-25-2010, 01:38 AM
As was said... you do have that option...

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 12:44 PM
ah ok. didnt know the long way around it haha. thanks

edit: but does it show if someone has since responded in the same thread i posted in? thats a big reason for why i wanna look for my posts.

SirFuego
04-25-2010, 01:21 PM
There are a couple ways to go about doing this.

You can setup your account to automatically "subscribe" to a thread when you post in it. Depending on what option you choose for your subscription, it'll send you an email when someone replies in that thread.
Go to "User CP", "Edit Options", then select the option you want under "Default Thread Subscription Mode".

I normally click on "New Posts" when I come here. It lists every thread that has had a reply since the last time I visited. The icons to the left of each thread indicates whether you replied to the thread at some point or not. The icon has a black dot in the middle of it to indicate this (you can also move your mouse over the icon and it will tell you that you posted in the thread). Notice the icon I circled in the pic below. There is a black dot in the middle of it. Therefore, that means I replied to that thread at some point. Since it showed up when I clicked "New Posts", I know there is a new reply. The other icons don't have a black dot in the middle, so I never posted anything in them. Of course the actual icons vary from board to board, but most every one I've been to has some sort of icon scheme that is pretty easy to discern once you figure it out.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/SirFuego/newposts.png

One other thing I'll add is to notice that there is a black square next to the thread names in bold. Click on that and it will take you to the first unread post in that thread. I have my browser setup to open a link in a new tab if I click my mouse wheel -- so I usually just do that for all the treads I want to read and I can just close out the tab when I'm done with that particular thread. No need to use the back button.