PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantages of a pistol grip on shotgun?

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 01:00 PM
so im looking into picking up a new HD shotgun. the one im looking for is a mossberg M500A persuader with a piston grip. the seller has a foldable stock on it, but i dont know if i wanna spend the extra $50ish on the stock right now. i plan to use a number 4 shell. in case my finance might have to use it, and so i limit the collateral damage.

so, as it would start, it would have a piston grip. is there really a downside to it besides not being able to brace it with your shoulder?

and since i mentioned it, i thought id ask about it, for a shell, since im living in close wuarters with one other person(outside my and my fiances room) and my neighbors house is only probably 15-20(im guessing, could be a little more but none less) feet from my bed. i was thinking the number 4 shell because it would drop someone with one shot, but not really damage toooo much else. am i on the right track there?

Wrecker
04-25-2010, 01:11 PM
I have a Bennelli that has a full stock with a pistol grip build in. I keep it loaded with slug and 00 buckshot. Every other round. Nice tube extender so it holds 7 shells. Makes a nice home defense weapon. My house is brick so not worried about neighbors. If something every made me pull it, I just need to know my son is behind me. More than likely going for the AR. Damn 8 year old always have an opion on what weapon to use.

ridgerunner97
04-25-2010, 01:30 PM
In a tactical situation such as you describe there really isn't a drawback to a pistol grip. I've shot the gun you describe with a pistol grip. With 2 3/4in 00 buck it bucks pretty good but in the heat of the moment you'll never feel it. Go for, just shoot it a good bit, those 500s like to be racked HARD you can't ***** pump it or you might have a issue from my experience.

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 02:34 PM
ok. so from what i know talking with the owner, it holds seven 2 1/2 shells i believe. so shooting with no stock and only the pistol grip would be sufficient? i really like the look of it with the pistol grip on it only. i was just worried that she may not be able to shoot it if i was not there.

do they make a separate pistol grip slider for when reloading the shotgun?

ridgerunner97
04-25-2010, 02:39 PM
You mean a pistol grip for the slide or foreend? Yes they do ive seen them.

mrdylanr
04-25-2010, 02:49 PM
As far as pistol grips go I like them on shotguns that have the safety on the trigger gaurd, and the regular grip on shotguns that have the safety on top (like mossburg). Just my .02
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/images-products-2061132.jpg

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 02:54 PM
ah ok. i was thinking so, but i forgot if i was just thinking of a video game add on or something haha

HoodRN
04-25-2010, 05:51 PM
so im looking into picking up a new HD shotgun. the one im looking for is a mossberg M500A persuader with a piston grip. the seller has a foldable stock on it, but i dont know if i wanna spend the extra $50ish on the stock right now. i plan to use a number 4 shell. in case my finance might have to use it, and so i limit the collateral damage.

so, as it would start, it would have a piston grip. is there really a downside to it besides not being able to brace it with your shoulder?

and since i mentioned it, i thought id ask about it, for a shell, since im living in close wuarters with one other person(outside my and my fiances room) and my neighbors house is only probably 15-20(im guessing, could be a little more but none less) feet from my bed. i was thinking the number 4 shell because it would drop someone with one shot, but not really damage toooo much else. am i on the right track there?

Pistol grip shotguns are very difficult to fire accurately, especially for those that don't practice frequently. They are less accurate even in the hands of an experienced shooter. And...NOTHING will drop everyone, all the time, with one shot. I have seen plenty of gunshot wounds, .22 to .45, to 12 gauge shotguns. .308, .223, 30.06 rifles. Some were hit in the vitals, including the heart and lungs. They WALKED into the emergency department. Be ready to shoot again, and be accurate with your fire. You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight.

ridgerunner97
04-25-2010, 06:08 PM
[/b]

Pistol grip shotguns are very difficult to fire accurately, especially for those that don't practice frequently. They are less accurate even in the hands of an experienced shooter. And...NOTHING will drop everyone, all the time, with one shot. I have seen plenty of gunshot wounds, .22 to .45, to 12 gauge shotguns. .308, .223, 30.06 rifles. Some were hit in the vitals, including the heart and lungs. They WALKED into the emergency department. Be ready to shoot again, and be accurate with your fire. You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight.

Well said. For a HD shotgun practice practice practice. It needs to be ingrained into your brain how that gun feels and comes up, dark, light, upside down right side up layin on your back it don't matter. It needs to be an extension of your arm when you wield it. As for load i'm a strong believer in a Heavy dove load of No. 6s or even 7 1/2s with 00 buck or slugs mixed in the batch. First load in mine is a 3in load of No. 6s, second one is a slug followed with 00 buck and it repeats throughout the magazine.

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 06:11 PM
what's the reason for alternating loads?

ridgerunner97
04-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Personally I like the pellet count and the pattern of the 6s or 7 1/2s, WIDE and it hits hard especially aiming for the chest at close range. The 00 or slug that will follow WILL STOP anyone that isn't put down by the initial shot. IF I make it through 8 shot shells and still have targets, by that time my dad or brothers will be backin me up same goes for them. I hope to god it never happens but it is a reality of the world we live in and i'm a firm believer in being prepared.

BTW since this thread popped up and instead of makin a new one, I'm also in the market for a handgun for mixed use, 80% in the Jeep and house, and 20% carrying so its gotta be a blend of weight to size and capacity, any suggestions? Lookin for $550 and down semi or wheel.

mrdylanr
04-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Some people do it for the best of both worlds, or confidence. Personally I use 4 Buck for the house. I think in a firefight I dont want to have to keep track of what round is next. But you do have this option
http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/12gaugeammo.html
But its not cheap,

ridgerunner97
04-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Some people do it for the best of both worlds, or confidence. Personally I use 4 Buck for the house. I think in a firefight I dont want to have to keep track of what round is next. But you do have this option
http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/12gaugeammo.html
But its not cheap,

I don't have to think, its loaded and ready to go, i'm not rackin through figuring out what I have loaded, I have a sequence figured out for my house/situation. Am I a little off the deep end or do you guys think the same way? :paranoid:

pittim
04-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Personally I like the pellet count and the pattern of the 6s or 7 1/2s, WIDE and it hits hard especially aiming for the chest at close range. The 00 or slug that will follow WILL STOP anyone that isn't put down by the initial shot. IF I make it through 8 shot shells and still have targets, by that time my dad or brothers will be backin me up same goes for them. I hope to god it never happens but it is a reality of the world we live in and i'm a firm believer in being prepared.

BTW since this thread popped up and instead of makin a new one, I'm also in the market for a handgun for mixed use, 80% in the Jeep and house, and 20% carrying so its gotta be a blend of weight to size and capacity, any suggestions? Lookin for $550 and down semi or wheel.
There's a new XDM 3.8" barrel.

Probably around the price you're lookin to spend...but for mainly vehicle carry you might be able to wear a g-shirt and carry the 4.5" XDM.

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 08:00 PM
i love that delta force website. the mass amount of different ways to stop your "objective" is great. i was considering not getting it, just cause i didnt want to spend the money, but i dunno. im leaning towards it. we'll see how i feel after i get my shocks and spend money on tools.

ridgerunner97
04-25-2010, 08:01 PM
LOL yeah idk we'll see, I like the 4.5in barrel. I was feelin XD or Ruger LCP both fit my hand nicely.

trailblaze
04-25-2010, 08:04 PM
XD's are nice. i carry an XD9 mostly everywhere

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 08:11 PM
that xdm was pretty cool. i like the fact that its an inch shorter.

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 08:13 PM
id like to have a handgun. cause i like the feel. my buddy has a .40 that i love. hes got a 9 and a .45 also, but for some reason im drawn to the .40. id have one if i already had a hd weapon

pittim
04-25-2010, 08:24 PM
id like to have a handgun. cause i like the feel. my buddy has a .40 that i love. hes got a 9 and a .45 also, but for some reason im drawn to the .40. id have one if i already had a hd weapon
yep, if I get a pistol, my front runner is a P229 SAS Gen 2 .40, maybe buy a .357 barrel to swap in and out.

Why do you think a pistol would be bad for HD? It'll have disadvantages, but also advantages.

One of the biggest advantages of a shotgun, IMO, has nothing to do with lethality. If someone breaks in and it's completely silent in the house, and then the sound of a shell getting racked is heard, he's most likely going to GTFO.

ridgerunner97
04-25-2010, 08:29 PM
^ that is a proven deterrance. Those Mossberg's are loud as hell, they'll send the message for sure.

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 08:56 PM
yeah. me and a buddy had a whole conversation about that. that racking one scares more than whatever else.

i will get a handgun after i have a shotty. but i think id feel more secure knowing she could blindfire and, more than likely, hit her target.

jim91303
04-25-2010, 09:09 PM
for ammo i would suggest bird shot. any size ... i like #4 and #6
tactical impact tv show did a show on shot gun ammo.... bird shot still gets the job done and only goes through 1 interior wall of drywall. all others went through 2 or more walls.

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 09:37 PM
bird shot seems to me, from tv and what not, that it would not kill someone.... and if your breaking into my home, do not expect to live and walk/roll away. so i might stray from that.

pittim
04-25-2010, 09:41 PM
bird shot seems to me, from tv and what not, that it would not kill someone.... and if your breaking into my home, do not expect to live and walk/roll away. so i might stray from that.
Bird, Bird, 00.

If you hit him with one (or both) bird shot, I'm guessing he wont be moving very well.

Then, to quote Mortal Combat, finish him.

jlovbasz3
04-25-2010, 10:00 PM
I'd spend the extra $50.00 for the folding stock.That way you have the best of both worlds a pistol grip and or a full stock and if you don't like it you could sell it for that.Mossberg's are tough as hell I have a 500 from the 60's that still works fine.Also I believe the U.S. ARMY used or still uses the 590 it's the basically the same shotgun the only difference in the magazine tube.

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 10:14 PM
yeah jim. im thinking if i get the gun to go ahead and just get the folding stock. im just contemplating the cost for it. i know its necessary, then not completely necessary, yet i want it, but i want stuff for the garage. pretty much, its this or air for the garage. weird tear, but im torn.

jlovbasz3
04-25-2010, 10:24 PM
I know what you mean!But it might be cheaper to buy the folding stock now for $50.00ish. I haven't looked in a while but i thinks it's hard to get a folder for under $75.00.

HoodRN
04-25-2010, 10:30 PM
yeah. me and a buddy had a whole conversation about that. that racking one scares more than whatever else.

i will get a handgun after i have a shotty. but i think id feel more secure knowing she could blindfire and, more than likely, hit her target.

If your round isn't aimed, you will miss. Shotgun patterns take a few yards to open, and at interior distances, the pattern will be very small. The belief that shotguns broadcast a large pattern at close range is wrong. At interior distances (7-10 yards or less) my cylinder bore 870 puts 9 pellets of 00 buck into a pattern that you can cover with your hand. Which means if the round isn't aimed, there is a good chance you will do nothing less than make lots of noise and drywall dust. I have seen a few folks hit with 00 buck, and they weren't impressed. Of course, when it works, I don't see them, the coroner does. My 1187 Police is loaded with 7 12 gauge rifled slugs. My house is brick, neighbors aren't close, and we'll clean the carpet after.

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 10:30 PM
I know what you mean!But it might be cheaper to buy the folding stock now for $50.00ish. I haven't looked in a while but i thinks it's hard to get a folder for under $75.00.

yeah he said the folding stock was 80 when he bought it. buut, i meant iabout buying the gun as a whole haha. i want it, but dont necessarily NEED it, but the Texan in me says YES, and the spender on other things says no. so im just torn. i dont know yet.

Dick.Breakey
04-25-2010, 10:38 PM
you make a good point. if it is really close, and i mean from the bed to the bedroom door, like 5 yards or so, then it might not be blindfire help. is there a specific type of shot that sprays wider faster? cause that might be better to use. given if someone is breaking in, more than likely they will leave if hit with any sort of bullitt. my fiance is my main concern, if you havent sensed that already. i want to protect her, as well as know she can protect herself if im traveling on business. i leave 3-4 times a year on business, and well, might be my new to this engagement thing, but i worry constantly about her. ill shoot whatever however many times to end an intruders attempt to hurt me or her if im there, but if im not, i need her to be able to stay safe. sorry if ive went off topic a bit. but any direction with the shot if there is one where it spreads wider faster?

If your round isn't aimed, you will miss. Shotgun patterns take a few yards to open, and at interior distances, the pattern will be very small. The belief that shotguns broadcast a large pattern at close range is wrong. At interior distances (7-10 yards or less) my cylinder bore 870 puts 9 pellets of 00 buck into a pattern that you can cover with your hand. Which means if the round isn't aimed, there is a good chance you will do nothing less than make lots of noise and drywall dust. I have seen a few folks hit with 00 buck, and they weren't impressed. Of course, when it works, I don't see them, the coroner does. My 1187 Police is loaded with 7 12 gauge rifled slugs. My house is brick, neighbors aren't close, and we'll clean the carpet after.

jlovbasz3
04-25-2010, 10:42 PM
If he doesn't all that much for the gun I'd say go for it!The 500 is a good starting point with that gun you can add many different barrels to hunt small game,deer,and shoot trap,and there not all that expensive.And it's a good stress reliever for under $10.00 you can go out and shoot the hell out of something!

EddyB
04-25-2010, 10:46 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/

All kinds of good info on this site. There is a thread written by a shotgun guru somewhere on here(I can't find it) that is an excellent read. IIRC he does not recomend a pistol grip only.

There are also a couple of threads concerning bird shot vs. buck shot.

Super Scout
04-25-2010, 11:17 PM
I really hate to bring this gun up as I'm not a big fan at all but from what you discribe a Taurus Judge may fit the bill, The barrel has rifling so the pellets spread alot faster, alteranate to a 45 long colt next and chances are the dude isnt moving. I havent done alot of research on the gun its seems very off balance. But check out some vids of the spread action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl-ZIo-Wztc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWFGsTsNxa8

Dick.Breakey
04-26-2010, 09:42 AM
that thing is amazing!!! I think I might like that even better. It's like a small sjot gun. I love it. The judge, damn if the name doesn't fit

RUDY850
04-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Mine had just the pistol grip on it.It was nice having it short that way but it is limeted in its use also that way

I put a knoxx stock on it and I like it more this way

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/RUDY850/Picture001-10.jpg

radojim
04-26-2010, 06:41 PM
if Roxy doesnt lick them to death, the mossburg should take care of 'em. the racking sound is pretty intimidating. there were a couple times when the wife swore she heard something.... so i'd just go out in the hall and give it a rack. the taurus .40 is my carry weapon. taurus had a pretty bad rep for i while but ive read they smoothed out alot of issues. ive never had a problem with it
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/radojim/guns/DSC00659.jpg

jlovbasz3
04-26-2010, 07:01 PM
I've had my Taurus PT111 Millennium Titanium for 6 years and never had a problem with it.

ridgerunner97
04-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Glad to hear your taurus is treating you well so far. My buddy bought a PT24/7 in .45ACP and it honestly for lack of a better term was a PIECE OF SHIT. I like there wheel guns but his PT scared me to death. Jamming, not to accurate, sloppy. It may have been a bad one but he bought it new, took it back after two weeks and got a Glock, he hasn't looked back since. A Judge is on my list of guns to get. My best friend just bought one and it is brutal, I love it.

radojim
04-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Glad to hear your taurus is treating you well so far. My buddy bought a PT24/7 in .45ACP and it honestly for lack of a better term was a PIECE OF SHIT. I like there wheel guns but his PT scared me to death. Jamming, not to accurate, sloppy. It may have been a bad one but he bought it new, took it back after two weeks and got a Glock, he hasn't looked back since. A Judge is on my list of guns to get. My best friend just bought one and it is brutal, I love it.
well "so far" is the key phrase. ive never had a jam, but only put 250 rounds through it so far. my only complaint is that the mag rattles like a F'n baby toy and its alittle top heavy.

Super Scout
04-26-2010, 07:36 PM
I am a Ruger man myself, I own a P89 and a GP100 they are both excellent guns esp for the price. I have a Sig I love as well but they are expensive. I never had much luck with Glocks, everyone I ever shot jammed on me, my buddy tho is a huge fan.

EddyB
04-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Well you inspired me (not that it takes much when it comes to guns). Just came home with a Mossberg 930 SPX.

http://www.nrapublications.org/si/Moss930.asp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/eddyb/moss-930SPX.jpg

Dick.Breakey
04-26-2010, 10:26 PM
nice buddy. if i buy this jeep, my gun money is out the window. and my fiance saw the jeep post. so that might be out haha. we'll see whats what

jim91303
04-27-2010, 02:57 AM
the JUDGE is a good gun. but like all guns, she will have to practice because you will need to ain it same as a shot gun. and being only a 410 shell , aim is even more important.

personally i want all my shot to hold closer then to spread out. a tight pattern means more shot hits target. a wide spread means afew shots hit.

also just remember ... even though some ones enters your home .... that does not give you the right to shoot them. besure you and your woman knows the laws, hate to see some one go to jail for trying to protect. just had to spill my 2 cents there, sorry.

a laser grip can help for faster on target aimming

Super Scout
04-27-2010, 06:28 AM
The law in PA is not really cut and dry when I took a few criminal justice classes back in college it was explained to me like this. If you feel that your life is in danger you can shoot to kill, but you will have to be able to defend yourself in court so make certain. Examples I was given: If a drunk 16 year old enters your house and you kill him you may have an issue. If someone breaks into your house with a running chain saw and comes at you than you will be fine, if the chainsaw is not running there maybe an issue lol. My personal thoughts are do what you need to do to keep your family safe and pay the consequences later.

jackb1
04-27-2010, 08:30 AM
the JUDGE is a good gun. but like all guns, she will have to practice because you will need to ain it same as a shot gun. and being only a 410 shell , aim is even more important.

I'm not going to disagree that practice is a good idea for anybody who handles a gun....

However I took my father in-laws Judge to the range and with bird shot it would make a pattern about 24" wide at 7 yards. Most of the pellets were about a 18" spread. His is the longer 6.5" barrel. I can only assume the 2.5 or 3" barrrels would spread even quicker. (At 20 yards it was about 6', which is why we were testing. He uses it to hunt rabbits and was worried about his dogs.)

That being said, I've almost bought one a number of times and even gone to a store with the only purpose of being there buying one... yet I've never been able to pull the trigger. The size of the gun just really turns me off.

ridgerunner97
04-27-2010, 08:53 AM
It is a bit awkward cuz of the cylinder but I like the one I've shot, but still cannot pull the trigger on it like you said for some reason, ive done the same thing LOL

DeathBlade556
04-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Now if they only made a judge in 20gauge.....

Super Scout
04-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Check this out 2 guns in one

http://datafortress2020.110mb.com/ab/toy-gun-revolver-901.jpg

Dick.Breakey
04-27-2010, 12:07 PM
I understand where your coming from. It is good to know the law, and things are a bit different here than they are in Texas. but im pretty sure if someone breaks into my home and they do not leave with the warning of me shooting them, and i shoot and kill, ill take my chances in court.

though again, good to kow the law well.

also just remember ... even though some ones enters your home .... that does not give you the right to shoot them. besure you and your woman knows the laws, hate to see some one go to jail for trying to protect. just had to spill my 2 cents there, sorry.

My concern is being in bed, or near my bed and shooting at the doorway. from my night stand to my bedroom door is about 5 yards or so. so i feel with the .410 shot in it, it would be perfect. even if it doesnt kill on the first shot, enough is likely to hit the intruder to slow them down, if not drop them.

However I took my father in-laws Judge to the range and with bird shot it would make a pattern about 24" wide at 7 yards. Most of the pellets were about a 18" spread. His is the longer 6.5" barrel. I can only assume the 2.5 or 3" barrrels would spread even quicker. (At 20 yards it was about 6', which is why we were testing. He uses it to hunt rabbits and was worried about his dogs.)

id give up a testicle for something like that haha

Check this out 2 guns in one

http://datafortress2020.110mb.com/ab/toy-gun-revolver-901.jpg

jim91303
04-27-2010, 12:08 PM
The law in PA is not really cut and dry when I took a few criminal justice classes back in college it was explained to me like this. If you feel that your life is in danger you can shoot to kill, but you will have to be able to defend yourself in court so make certain. Examples I was given: If a drunk 16 year old enters your house and you kill him you may have an issue. If someone breaks into your house with a running chain saw and comes at you than you will be fine, if the chainsaw is not running there maybe an issue lol. My personal thoughts are do what you need to do to keep your family safe and pay the consequences later.

yea .... thats what i read and got from the laws too .... but also .... if you are in a room in where you can escape .... such as out a back door, that is to be your choice over shooting. from what i read and saw .... shooting is a last chance option inless as said some one is in close range and coming at you and IS armed.

there is a self defense arms school in monroeville. i am thinking of taking classes ... they have a course in the law for PA
http://www.inpax.net/Self-Defense-Pittsburgh-Self-Defense-Pennsylvania-theteam.html

Super Scout
04-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I took one of those classes in Smithton they are crazy lol. I learned alot tho.
The retreat part is BS alot of states are implementing the Castle Law which should be the law of the land everywhere. PAs law from wiki if you can understand the legalese lol.
Pennsylvania (http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/index.html) 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 505 (http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/00.005.005.000.html) on the defense of self says there is no obligation to retreat from the home or workplace unless the actor was the initial aggressor or, in the latter case, set upon by a co-worker; however, "surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto" and "complying with a demand that [one] abstain from any action which [one] has no duty to take" are listed in addition to retreating as avenues which, if open to the actor but not taken, invalidate justification for the use of deadly force. Deadly force itself is not justifiable unless "the actor believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping or sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat." 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 507 (http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/crimes-and-offenses/00.005.007.000.html) allows the use of deadly force if the actor believes there has been an unlawful entry into his or her dwelling and believes that nothing less than deadly force will end the incursion; if the person on the receiving end of the deadly force is "attempting to dispossess [the actor] of his dwelling otherwise than under a claim of right to its possession;" or if deadly force is the only thing that will prevent a felony from being committed in the dwelling. In any of those cases, the property owner must first ask the interloper to desist — unless the owner believes that doing so would be "useless," "dangerous," or would result in the property being defended coming to substantial harm before the request to desist could be effectively communicated.

Dick.Breakey
04-27-2010, 12:39 PM
yeah gotta love the wording. i did just talk to a guy at work, and he recanted a court case where a guy couldnt get ahold of his daughter, thought something was wrong, then took his gun ofer there. when he got to the house he saw there was an intruder and shot and killed the guy. they never charged him. and thats pretty blatant that he went there with the idea to shoot somebody if he saw them. and he wasnt charged, so i think PA is fairly liberal on their stance when it comes to self defense around the home.

2002wranglerX
04-28-2010, 11:06 AM
have you checked out the mossberg mariner? comes with both stocks, stainless, and reasonably cheap (400 bucks)

JeepSteeler
04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
LOL yeah idk we'll see, I like the 4.5in barrel. I was feelin XD or Ruger LCP both fit my hand nicely.

I have an LCP. If you ever want to check it out shoot me a PM and maybe we can get together at the range. Nice little mouse gun for everyday carry. Not super accurate out to much distance, it can kick with certain loads a little hard, and if you have big mitts it might be tough to handle, although I have big hands and with the finger extension it's no problem. But with about 300 rounds of draw-aim-double tap I feel pretty good with it. Finding .380 ammo can sometimes be a pain. The LCR wheel gun is a nice option to get out of .380 but it is bigger, heavier, and twice as much. Chances are my wife will inherit the LCP soon and I will try out the new S&W Bodyguard with the built in laser.

Another good, cost effective option is the S&W Sigma 9mm. Better for home defense than carry - a little heavy and large, but can carry accessories (lasers, flashlights) and 17 rounds. It got a bad rap early on but the latest generations are solid, I've lost count at a few thousand through mine and nary a hiccup. Good for carrying in the Winter/Fall under the coat.

2002wranglerX
06-10-2010, 09:32 AM

I'm not going to disagree that practice is a good idea for anybody who handles a gun....

That being said, I've almost bought one a number of times and even gone to a store with the only purpose of being there buying one... yet I've never been able to pull the trigger. The size of the gun just really turns me off.

i keep mine loaded with 3" mag 00 buck. that's 5 almost 9mm pellets every time you pull the trigger.

my hallway is about 12-15 feet long. That's the ONLY reason i have it. kim knows if it ever came to it, point that thing down the "death tunnel" and pull the trigger. it's gonna be hard to miss that close.

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
06-10-2010, 10:07 AM
I have a winchester with a pistol grip on the front and a pistol grip with a folding stock on the rear. I've had a just pistol grip without the folding stock on the rear also. i would def spend the extra $$$ on the folding stock. Takes allot of practice to hit something with just the pistol grip. If your fiance isn't an amazon, practice won't be very fun for her with the pistol grip. You could prob put some target loads in to make her a lil less miserable. I've shot mine with one hand on targrt loads. Then put the 00 back in when it's beside the bed.

Def go with the folding stock. Mine is setup to hold extra ammo on the folding part too, helps out allot. 7 in the tube, 5 on the folding stock, and 5 on shell holder on the side. Just in case the russians invade haha

2002wranglerX
06-10-2010, 01:20 PM
i JUST picked up a mossberg 500A with a pistol grip this afternoon (as part of a deal for my hard doors). I'm going to change it over to a collapsable stock. Also, i'll probably do some bling just to do it. they sell a whole setup from ATI (i think) that comes with the 6 position stock, sling, ghost sights, and heat shield, and side holder for extra shells for like 110 bucks.

Wbertoty
06-10-2010, 01:44 PM
I had a Mossberg 500 persuader, police cruiser edition. Had the heat shields, door breach assist on the end of the barrel, 8 shot capacity. Always had slugs and 00 alternating. After about 500 rounds through it I was pretty good with it. I now carry a Glock 26 .40 cal sub compact every where I go unless prohibited by law. I use to shoot IPSIC competitions with my GLock 20/29's in 10mm. Now there was a damn nice round.

joshs1ofakindxj
06-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Just in case the russians invade haha

or zombies!!!