PDA

View Full Version : My hooptie is rollin again

MechanicalMayham
05-01-2010, 10:51 PM
I ordered my rear ds from Pittsburgh Driveshaft ($175) Its great. Threw it in and took it for a spin. I noticed some popping and gringing from the front end. I do not have the front ds on as I used the bolts for the cv on the rear. My steering wheel is off and so is caster. I need to get an alignment so no big deal but the poppping is rather unsettling. Only seems to be going round turns or bumps. I think it might be the discos (JKS quick), but, any ideas how to isolate it on these roads they tested missles on during the winter?

tjblair
05-01-2010, 11:16 PM
If it's grinding I doubt it's the disco's. Just disconect them and take it for a spin to rule them out.

Deadman 94 xj
05-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Possible causes:

Ball joints
Unit bearings
Trackbar joint

...and about a million other things :)
Raise front end and start shaking the tires. You'll find something. I always do...

MechanicalMayham
05-04-2010, 10:18 AM
When I had it at the shop over the winter (guy had it for 4 months) I had the front Ujoints changed while he did the diff and gear setup. He was supposed to check the front setup for any binding or flaws that would make it unsafe. He said it was good but I needed an alighnment bad and he wasn't set up for them. I have a friend who is going to do an alignment and check out the front end. The weird thing is I seem to have a little grinding, possibly from the back end. When I downshift or wind out the engine then ride the gear out I get an odd grinding feeling. I don't know if its cause the gears are all new (SYE, Diff, DS) and breaking in. I have a MML going in but I'm gonna do an electric fan when I do that.

Deadman 94 xj
05-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Depending on your lift height, the CV joint may be binding during acceleration due to normal spring wrap.

If it's in the dif, chanced are the crush sleeve is bad if it has one, or you've got some bearing issues.

Your best bet is to issolate the noise by process of elimination.