PDA

View Full Version : Tip for those pesky D30 wheel bearings

machinerguy
05-03-2010, 11:38 PM
In order to not destroy anything, I have taken to backing out the bolts about 1/4" and driving the bottom two through with a soft aluminum drift (and hammer) on the bolt heads and a jack on the top one 'cause you ain't swingin' anything through that axle's inner c.
For a jack, I use a 1/2-13 bolt 2-1/4" long with a coupling nut about 1-1/2" long. You gearheads will know that turning the nut against the curved cast surface of the inner c will cause the jack to walk off. Well, that 3/4 box end wrench on the head of the 1/2-13 jack bolt(which rests on the head of that metric 12-point bastard) will jam nicely against the bottom of the upper balljoint stud and hold the jack inline with the bolt while you turn the nut against the inner c.
Bang, bang, crank. Bang, bang, crank, easy as pie.
Naturally,if necessary, loosen the 12 point bearing mounting bolts a little more, reset the jack and....
Hope it helps somebody.

OverkillZJ
05-04-2010, 08:25 AM
I've always just done the back out the 3 bolts a bit, then hit with a hammer, "just enough" room in there! Never use a 2 / 3 jaw puller (as most manuals suggest) unless you want a two piece unit bearing.

Deadman 94 xj
05-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Good suggestions. Another one is to give the knuckle a good blow with a hammer where the indentation is below the upper ball joint.

I've always found that doing this breaks the bearing loose and allows the bearing to slide right off, with the help of a smal chisel or flat head screw driver.

KUGS
05-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I always leave the axle nut on and tight and a slide hammer till the hub starts to move then take the nut off.

Mykal
05-18-2010, 09:02 PM
http://www.myjeepxj.com/uploads/images/Jeep/regear/regear%20036.jpg

LordAthens
05-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I've tried every way suggested above (and then some) and Mykals is by far the easiest. I picked up the tip from Blaine or Stu on JU years ago. The Jeep doesn't even have to be running, though it doesn't hurt. In the past few years I've replaced both sides twice. The third time will be coming up very shortly.

muddeprived
05-18-2010, 10:35 PM
My bearings come off so often that I just remove the three backing bolts and pull it off with my hands. :)

But when it's the first time, I just wack the three back bolts and it comes off.

Mykal
05-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Mine come off very easily now. Using anti-seize at the mating points helps in with future removal.

trailblaze
05-24-2010, 12:21 PM
i had to use heat on mine, when i did the XJ's, wish i knew this back in the day

2002wranglerX
05-27-2010, 01:32 PM
i take the bolts out, and hit where they go into the knuckle with an air chisel.... it usually pops em right out.