PDA

View Full Version : If your stupid you can sue someone now?

trailblaze
05-25-2010, 07:52 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hdV4k6q8whNn7fJ_JhZb5tdIy4ZwD9FTFA0G0

so apparently if you're asked to take a test and the results will determine if you qualify for a position or admittance and you fail simply because your not smart enough you can now sue??? what a total crock of bullshit. is it really the city's fault that only 11% of the people who scored over 89 were black? perhaps these "uneducated" blacks should start applying to MIT, Harvard, Yale etc... and when the fail those entrance exams they should sue the colleges too..

sorry, i was read this today and this just bothered me... i am sooo sick of hearing about the blacks being discriminated for something. it's never ending.

OverkillZJ
05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Sounds like the court said there's grounds to proceed - that's not a win for this messed up case yet.

muddeprived
05-25-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't see what's to sue. Stupid people didn't pass the test so they are stupid and it's their fault they are stupid cuz they were too busy smoking marijuana or cybersexing on the cell phones during school time. If you don't pass the test, you don't pass the test, and you don't qualify. It's that simple.

Instead of wasting their time suing and all that crap, why not just hit the books, study, and pass the test again next time? Wouldn't that be cheaper and easier.........and smarter?

SirFuego
05-25-2010, 09:03 AM
What percentage of blacks took the test? That seems to be a key piece of information left out. If only 11% of the test takers were black, then, well, what percentage of blacks would you expect to be in the high scoring group?

I can understand if the scoring was somehow affected by the race of the person. Heck, I'll even concede if there was something that suggested the cutoff score was raised to reduce qualifying black firefighters. But otherwise Im having a really tough time understanding how the "second cutoff" is a bad thing. I mean, if I have an overabundance of applicants -- why wouldn't I make a stricter cutoff score?

I'm guessing it has something to do with this second cutoff score being unlawful due to it violating affirmative action.

trailblaze
05-25-2010, 09:26 AM
i think raising the bar and setting the cut off score higher would provide better, more qualified fire fighters. Ones who would be better to think outside the box in a difficult situation. the 11% was the percent of blacks who scored above the higher cut off in comparasion to like 70 something % of whites who scored over i believe 89.

it's just stupid... plain and simple. why waste the tax dollars to take this to a higher court. you failed or scored below a cut off on a test... suck it up and go back to school.

SirFuego
05-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Officials told applicants who scored below 89 but above 64 that although they passed the test, they likely would not be hired because of the large number of people who scored 89 or above. The majority of those in the top-scoring group were white; only 11 percent were black

That tells me that 11% of the top scorers were black -- not the way you worded it. If it is indeed the way you worded it, it's another illustration of piss-poor journalism.

Deadman 94 xj
05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Lowering the cutoff score to empower affirmative action is BS. They should hire an equal number of black and white applicants out of those that scored the highest. If no whites score high enough than no whites get hired. If no blacks score high enough, than no blacks get hired.

This is affirmative action BS working against it self. It does nothing but promote racism.

I scored a 108 (after VA points) on the city exam and haven't got a call (not that I'd do it now anyway). I'm a white male applying for a government job = not gona happen.

trailblaze
05-25-2010, 01:15 PM
That tells me that 11% of the top scorers were black -- not the way you worded it. If it is indeed the way you worded it, it's another illustration of piss-poor journalism.

i said..."is it really the city's fault that only 11% of the people who scored over 89 were black?"

which meant that 11% of the people who scored over 89 were black.

EddyB
05-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Will you be suing your HS English teacher?

your- possessive

you're- you are

trailblaze
05-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Will you be suing your HS English teacher?

your- possessive

you're- you are

lol... yes. and i'm going to sue PGHoffroad and specific members since you made me feel dumb.

SirFuego
05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
i said..."is it really the city's fault that only 11% of the people who scored over 89 were black?"

which meant that 11% of the people who scored over 89 were black.

Heh, I just re-read your post and realized that your original comment could actually be interpreted both ways:
11% was the percent of [the total number] blacks who scored above the higher cut off
11% was the percent of blacks [among those] who scored above the higher cut off

Your statement was correct, but mathematically ambigious -- didn't pick up on that until now. Much like math defines an order of operations, the enlish language really needs to establish an order of prepositions and adjectives...

I want (peanut butter and jelly) sandwiches!
I want (peanut butter) and (jelly sandwiches)!

trailblaze
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
damn it... now i'm hungry for a good p&j sandwhich.

village_idiot
05-25-2010, 03:30 PM
This is affirmative action BS working against it self. It does nothing but promote racism.
all i have to say is...blame nixon.

Deadman 94 xj
05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
all i have to say is...blame nixon.

LOL. I don't have a problem with affirmative action. I have a problem with dumb white desk jockeys abusing it like I think they did above. Bending the rules to manipulate AA is retarded to me. If only X number of black people apply, than there are going to be less black people that score high enough. They shouldn't lower the scale just to get the quota up. It is what it is.

That said, there's no excuse for people wanting to sue because they'er facking dumb.

88wd21
05-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Next people will be sueing the drivers liscense centers when they fail their tests...

DMG
05-31-2010, 08:48 PM
I am sueing the NBA because they won't pay me millions to play ball.