PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me

fd66tom
06-01-2010, 10:18 PM
i got a small leak on my front axle right side i dont know how to get the shaft out to replace the seal someone please help or we can do some wrenchin some day thanks guys

jlovbasz3
06-01-2010, 10:29 PM
If you need some help let me know I'm close and can give you a hand.

fd66tom
06-01-2010, 10:32 PM
i ahve no clue on how to get it out or anything the Haynes book dont tell me shit

jlovbasz3
06-01-2010, 10:42 PM
I bought one of those Haynes book for my Jeep and they went down hill just use it for tp!lolBut if you need help I stay in Belle Vernon I can run down and help.

fd66tom
06-01-2010, 10:57 PM
okay ill shot you a email when i try it again thanks bud

jlovbasz3
06-01-2010, 11:02 PM
no problem

LordAthens
06-01-2010, 11:10 PM
If you're trying to pull the shaft, you need to pull the wheel as well as the caliper (2-13mm bolts) Then remove the cotter pin and cage from the outter stub. Then remove the nut with a 36mm socket. A heavy impact gun is almost a requirement for this, that or a breaker bar and a long cheater pipe. Then remove the 3-13mm 12 point bolts on the backside of the unit bearing. A small sledge is helpful for beating the unit bearing out since you can't use the bolt trick on YJ shafts. Once the unit bearing is out, the shaft will slide free.

tjblair
06-02-2010, 06:23 AM
If you're trying to pull the shaft, you need to pull the wheel as well as the caliper (2-13mm bolts) Then remove the cotter pin and cage from the outter stub. Then remove the nut with a 36mm socket. A heavy impact gun is almost a requirement for this, that or a breaker bar and a long cheater pipe. Then remove the 3-13mm 12 point bolts on the backside of the unit bearing. A small sledge is helpful for beating the unit bearing out since you can't use the bolt trick on YJ shafts. Once the unit bearing is out, the shaft will slide free.
Why not leave the unit bearing on the stub if you are only looking to replace the axel seal?

sethman15210
06-02-2010, 03:20 PM
removing the bearings gives you a good chance to inspect the unit and replace if needed. but technically you dont need to separate them, just remove the 3 bolts off the knuckle and pull the whole thing out.

joshs1ofakindxj
06-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Why not leave the unit bearing on the stub if you are only looking to replace the axel seal?

It's good practice for the guy!

OverkillZJ
06-02-2010, 03:38 PM
If he's having trouble getting the shaft out already, don't be telling him to take the unit bearing off too when he doesn't need to! Those seals are a real pain to change. Even with an empty axle housing.

joshs1ofakindxj
06-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Eh, he might as well check the gear backlash and bearing pre-load, just for the experience!

OverkillZJ
06-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Hahaha, that'd be a learning experience.

sethman15210
06-02-2010, 04:18 PM
sure, sure just keep piling on the "check this" list

muddeprived
06-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Here's something to read:

1st:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm

2nd:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30seals/seal-1.htm

This guy has shitloads of valuable information on fixes and upgrades on his website. Bookmark worthy.

edit: my bad, i didn't see that he had a YJ with the disco axle. It's a little different than what the web shows (TJ).

Does the YJ disco have c-clips?

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
06-02-2010, 04:27 PM
eh while your under there pull the oil pan off and check those mains too.. lol sry guys i just got my account situated -->thanks matt and sry for the hijack

LordAthens
06-02-2010, 06:18 PM

Doh. Yeah, I suppose you don't need to remove the stub from the unit bearing. Hey, the OP just saved two steps! lol

If he's having trouble getting the shaft out already, don't be telling him to take the unit bearing off too when he doesn't need to! Those seals are a real pain to change. Even with an empty axle housing.

Still have to take the unit bearing off to remove the shaft. As tjblair pointed out, I screwed up and also put the step in to remove the shaft assembly FROM the unit bearing. But yeah, the unit bearing def has to come off as that's what holds the shaft into the housing. I know, it's been a long time since you toyed with such tiny axles ;) lol

OverkillZJ
06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Worded it badly - we all know you DON'T need to remove the unit bearing from the shaft, though, just from the knuckle.

Toyota4x4Fan
06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Eh, he might as well check the gear backlash and bearing pre-load, just for the experience!

Hows about those inner seals on a Dana 30...pull the carrier and replace them too

I would love to find this Dana girl.....and shove some shims up her @$$.......i hate shimmed carriers....i hate them! lmao cause i got problems!!!!