PDA

View Full Version : Weekend cat fishin

sethman15210
06-10-2010, 04:33 PM
im lookin for some guys who would be interested in going night fishin for cats around the southside/south hills area. i usually go down in southside by the cement plant. aways at night and i do okay. im thinking friay or saturday(my usual) night. if youre interested let me know, or if you know somewhere better close to the same area

Deadman 94 xj
06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
I usually go down near the Homestead high level bridge. I'd like to plan a trip sometime further north near Monongahela. I hear there are some pretty big cats out that way and cats are fun!

sethman15210
06-10-2010, 05:00 PM
do you mean back behind that hotel in the waterfront, ive had the cops chase me outa there for trespassing. i go up to elizabeth sometimes and do pretty go at theyre park.

Deadman 94 xj
06-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Nope, on the other side of the river. It's called Duck hollow. Although the last time I was there the garbage everywhere made me sick.

Make the first right after crossing the bridge if you're coming from Homestead.

sethman15210
06-10-2010, 05:28 PM
o ok, i havent been on that side. be worth checkin out. but im not gonna sit for hours being gagged by trash

Deadman 94 xj
06-10-2010, 05:37 PM
There are a couple of good spots over there and not all of them are trashed. There are just a few spots that I know of that are, plus I found a big dump site near a favorite spot of mine.

I agree though. The number of floating condoms I found made fishing a little discouraging.

Ed_Lorentz
06-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Duck Hollow is good, but its also the hook up spot for the teens and professionals in the area. Have you tried down around the stadiums. I know there are several people there that have been pulling out some 30in cats during the daytime....I could only assume the nightime would be better...plus the concrete walls and benches make it real nice :)

sethman15210
06-10-2010, 06:01 PM
i dont go near the stadiums, i used to but the cops and game wardens started to get annoying. wheres that duck hollow at? i know a great place on carson and becks run heading towards sandcastle. have to park at paiges icecream and walk over. theres a couple of sewage runoffs from the water treatment plant. i havent been there in a while though. i generally just go to southside because is a convient spot and i can park close. plus ive dragged some monsters in from the sandy bottom thats there

jeepin ruby
06-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Im not into all that city fishin, but if yinz are up for a little drive down my way, I have some great spots behind my house on the Yough. Granted you wont catch the monsters like you will on the Mon, but Ive caught some pretty nice ones (20-30") and its still fun. Its quiet, privite and clean.

sethman15210
06-10-2010, 06:24 PM
where do you live at jeepin ruby, in elizabeth somewhere?

jeepin ruby
06-10-2010, 06:41 PM
In Elizabeth Twp actually. Its just east of Elizabeth. I live right off of Rt. 48.

sethman15210
06-10-2010, 06:50 PM
that sounds interesting, i wouldnt mind trying your area. i dont know to much in that area though, just how to get through it

jeepin ruby
06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
The Yough is a great river. It dosent get the recognition it deserves. All the better really. I like it the way it is :003:. Dont need a bunch of idiots ruinin it. All though, just like everywhere, there are places that are F'd up with beer cans and whatnot. They put in that stupid river bike trail in so now theres a good bit of yuppiedom goin on during the day when the weather is nice. But in the evening its great! There are quite a few places near me that you can drive right down to the bank, but there are always people there unless you get there at like 4 or 5 oclock on the weekends. But theyre not the best places anyway cause they get fished so much. The best spots require walkin the trail to get to, but you just throw your beer and a radio in a back pack, small cooler full of ice, and a rod and your good to go.:035:

sethman15210
06-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Sounds good. I usually pick my buddy up who lives in belle Vernon but he doesent know anywhere down there. So we always end up in Elizabeth at the river park by the firestation. I'd like somewhere née for this weekend.

jeepin ruby
06-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Im not sure if Ill be free to go this Sat. The wife is sick and I might have to stay here n play Mr.Mom. If shes feeling better by then Ill go. Either way we could hook up and I could at least show ya where to go then come back after the kids in bed. Belle vernons not that far from me. Just shoot down 51 and take 48 north.

sethman15210
06-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Ok. Let me know, hopefully some other people will wanna join up regardless of where we go. Doesent matter much to me

ridgerunner97
06-10-2010, 10:13 PM
If you guys are gonna hit the ole Yough i'm down to hit anywhere from Whitsett to the 'port :) I got some good spots as well, I haven't been on the river since last year about this time. The smallie fishin can be hot as hell in some of the spots I hit, both in the day and at night. I focus from Sutersville down to Coulter most of the time.

sethman15210
06-10-2010, 10:24 PM
i dont know anywhere down there, but im down for where ever. just set up a place to meet up and ill follow whoever from there

Wbertoty
06-11-2010, 02:29 AM
If you guys are there late I might stop after work. I live in Mckeesport, so anywhere on the Yough is close for me. If the water was not so high I would say we could go to Boston and park out on the peninsula. People give you very strange looks, but you normaly only have to drive through a few inches of water to get to it, unless the river is really low, then it is almost dry. Right now you could fish right out the door of your jeep though, water is pretty deep.

sethman15210
06-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Well let's set a meet time and place. I'll pick up the chicken livers today.

sethman15210
06-15-2010, 11:49 PM
so everyone backed out hu..... well i still went with my buddy. we caught 5 nice cats by the elizabeth dam. a little rain aint gonna stop me. lets fish ya wusses........lol