PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Lockers in 88 YJ

Ed_Lorentz
06-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Do you guys think it would be worthwhile for me to put these in the JD Jeep. I'm trying to decide if I should put them in the front or the rear...What are your suggestions?

john00TJ
06-13-2010, 02:05 PM
sure y not ..put them in the front an rear

notmYJ
06-13-2010, 02:09 PM
If you have a D35 rear, then no. In the front, there is nothing better than a selectable. An auto locker with a 2wd lo kit still isnt as good as a selectable. That being said, lots of people run them and say they are ok. However, in PA with snow covered streets, there is no way I would run an aussie in the front. A locked front axle on a snow covered street leaves alot to be desired. Everytime you put it in 4wd for the snow, the front will lock up when you apply power. Not a good thing when you have snowy patches on roads.

An auto locker in the rear would be fine, but not in a D35. With the auto lockers, you will scrub tires when going through a turn under power. Such as, turning from a red light, stop sign, an up hill bend, parking lots, etc. All of this will cause the tires to scrub. They work well for some people, you will have to change your driving style to keep the locker from engaging, such as coasting around bends, etc.

They work well, but I would never put one in a front axle on a street driven jeep. Selectable cost more, but is well worth it. At least for the front...

Ed_Lorentz
06-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Hi guys,

Yes I do have D35 in the rear...so thats why I was cautious about it. However...this is my mud jeep and I don't really see me taking it out in the snow very much since I have a liberty as the DD....With that being said do you think it would still be beneficial to put them in the front. At some point I'm thinking about sticking a D44 in the rear so I was thinking of hold off there unless for some reason it creates super jeep....and then locking it after that...

notmYJ
06-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Skip the D44. Put a ford explorer 8.8 in it if you want to keep the same trackwidth. The D35 is garbage. Any money spent on it is a waste. the 8.8 is stronger than a D44 in stock form anyway, and the 8.8 has a huge aftermarket so parts are readily available.

If the jeep is not gonna see dd duty in the snow, then yes, the aussie in the front would be ok, but know it will have its quirks on the trail. Your turning radius will suffer on the trail. If you need to make a sharp turn on a trail and need to apply power to negotiate it, the front axle will lock up, killing your turning radius, maybe making you have to do a 3, 4 or 5pt turn. Its common on the trails in this area. The tighter the trails, the more pronouced/annoying this will become. This is why I went with selectable in the front. When I come to a tight turn, I flick a switch and keep going. I don't have to stop and back up or shift into 2wd or even 2low if you have a 2low kit. Finish the turn, flick the switch, done. To most people, myself included, who run selectables on the trail, there is no other option. Even an auto locker in the rear will affect turning radius, but not as much.

Also, if regearing is a desire, that is the best time to do a selectable as the you have set the gears anyway. But it is significantly more $$ to do a selectable at the same time. Auto lockers work, no doubt. But for trails around here, I would take a selectable. If your jeep is mainly just doing straight mud boggs, then auto lockers would be fine. But for trails, rocks, and street, selectable is the way to go. But I know budgets are tight, and selectables are expensive, moreso if you can't set your own gears, so ultimately do the best you can with what you have. Just skip the D35 and D44 all together. The 8.8 is cheaper and easier to find, and with a small bit of welding, it is very simple to do. I have built quite a few 8.8's for both YJ's and TJ's with open carriers, ARB's, Detroits, LSD's, and lunchbox lockers. And never once had an issue. For the record, I do not sell them, or parts for them. I have nothing to gain if you go with an 8.8, it simply makes the most sense for an axle swap if you are gonna stay with the original track width.

Sycotik Skier
06-13-2010, 08:24 PM
I have Lock rights front and rear in my CJ. Your turning radius will suffer with auto lockers front and/or rear. it's not something I worry about because I feel the pros outweigh the cons. Like stated above I would not spend the money on upgrading the 35, i would look for an 8.8 with a factory limited slip and then lock the front. If you want to see the scrubbing that was mentioned I can bring my jeep over sometime and take ya for a ride.

Yarz
06-13-2010, 09:28 PM
The turning radius issue could be eliminated with the installation of a posi-lock, couldn't it?

fmlyof4whlrs
06-13-2010, 09:33 PM
If it's a trail jeep then sure lock the front. Selectable or auto which ever you want/can afford to do. Don't think I would waste time with the D35. Probably look into an 8.8 or D44, oh though I don't agree that the 8.8 is a far better choice. I would say it has a slight edge in strength in it's stock form. As for aftermarket support they both have a ton of things available. D44 don't have c-clips though and that's check in it's column. As for price....I just saw a D44 for 75 bucks, needed some work but most axles that cheap do.

But yeah I would say go ahead and lock that front and research and change rear axles before locking it.

fmlyof4whlrs
06-13-2010, 09:34 PM
The turning radius issue could be eliminated with the installation of a posi-lock, couldn't it?

It would help oh though probably not make it seem like the locker wasn't there.

jlovbasz3
06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
If it's a mud jeep just weld the rear.

Deadman 94 xj
06-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Lock the front until you're ready to put in an 8.8. Save the selectables for the big axles you'll be swaping in later on :)