PDA

View Full Version : Aussie locker

warwagon98xj
06-16-2010, 04:50 PM
just wondering if anyone knows of a place that might be a little cheaper for aussie lockers than their actual site

xj jimmy
06-16-2010, 04:55 PM
its the best price your gonna get on it.....far as i know.

PatF10
06-16-2010, 04:57 PM
dont think so, its only 239, its cheaper than a lockrite just pony up and get it. Hard to get locked much cheaper with out welding gears.

warwagon98xj
06-16-2010, 04:59 PM
running the 8.25 nothing wrong with the 299 just wondering if i might find it cheaper elsewhere

xj jimmy
06-16-2010, 05:02 PM
do the front, not the rear :)

tjblair
06-16-2010, 05:20 PM
This is a big debate, weather to lock the front or the rear. IMO I would lock the rear. You will be amazed at how much easier this will make most trails. I would not lock the front until you have a way to disenguage the front. I ran an aussie locker in the front of mine with a 2wdlow kit. and if I tried to make a tight turn on the trail without putting it in 2wd low, it was like trying to turn a school bus. Like I said I would lock the rear first. then either do a selectable in the front or some sort of lunchbox locker with a 2wdlow kit. JMHO

ridgerunner97
06-16-2010, 07:00 PM
You won't regret the Aussie in the rear 8.25. I've been running this setup since early March and have been pretty hard on it both on and offroad. In everything I've come across I haven't had a bizarre handling quirk, severe bangs, etc. It makes a noticeable clicking sound in corners coasting blah blah blah blah, not a biggie. I absolutely love it in the woods. Not noticeable in the rain on wet roads NOTHING. It has pushed me over many obstacles I dreamed about open, I don't buy into the autolocker front axle setup. I know several people that run them and I haven't personally seen the "pull yourself over" argument have any support in a lot of situations in a lot of different obstacles and rig sizes and setups. Take my opinion FWIW. You will be happy with the Aussie :)

XJchris98
06-16-2010, 07:01 PM
northridge4x4.com has pretty good prices. Should still have free shipping too!

warwagon98xj
06-16-2010, 07:05 PM
not locking the front might go the route of a limited slip up front

muddeprived
06-16-2010, 07:36 PM
not locking the front might go the route of a limited slip up front

limited slips aren't worth it.

I had an aussie and lockright up front in my xj and both came out. The aussie wasn't functioning within specs so I swapped in a lockright and it was fine but the on-snow-road handling scared me enough to take it out. It SUCKED. I'm now looking to lock my 8.25 with an aussie like you are. Get them from Aussielocker.com cuz you probably won't find em cheaper anywhere else, unless it's a used locker.

SirFuego
06-16-2010, 10:26 PM
I believe Aussie lockers are only available direct through Aussie. I don't even think they offer discounts for shops.

I have experienced with a locked rear and have wheeled with many folks with a single locker. In general, I've observed that a locked front is better in rock crawling and ledges, while a locked rear is better in mud and hill climbs. There of course are other factors that influence a rig's capability on a given obstacle (wheelbase, weight, wheelspeed, driver ability, etc.), but even after taking this into account that's what I've noticed in general.

warwagon98xj
06-17-2010, 03:40 AM
most of the wheeling i do is mainly mud not really into the rock crwling thing

welby
06-17-2010, 04:44 PM

I had an aussie and lockright up front in my xj and both came out. The aussie wasn't functioning within specs so I swapped in a lockright and it was fine but the on-snow-road handling scared me enough to take it out. It SUCKED. I'm now looking to lock my 8.25 with an aussie like you are. Get them from Aussielocker.com cuz you probably won't find em cheaper anywhere else, unless it's a used locker.

I don't see how switching to an Aussie from a Lockright is going to change anything. They both function the same way; if you hated driving in the snow with the Lockright, you'll hate it with the Aussie as well. It's just a matter of adjusting to the driving characteristics. I had a Detroit in the back and a Lockright up front on my TJ and I had no issues driving it in the snow at all. You just have to know that the rear end is going to kick out and drive accordingly.

muddeprived
06-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't see how switching to an Aussie from a Lockright is going to change anything. They both function the same way; if you hated driving in the snow with the Lockright, you'll hate it with the Aussie as well. It's just a matter of adjusting to the driving characteristics. I had a Detroit in the back and a Lockright up front on my TJ and I had no issues driving it in the snow at all. You just have to know that the rear end is going to kick out and drive accordingly.

It was the aussie that wasn't functioning correctly that made me switch to a lockrite.. You have to make sure the aussie is within specs or it won't function correctly. I installed it, checked the gap and it was just on the edge of acceptable gap space BUT when turning in reverse (2wd) it would clunk bang and pop like mad. I couldn't figure it out so I took it out and put a lockright in it and everything was quiet and normal. I sold the aussie to another guy and he used it in his dana 30 without any issues. I guess being on the very edge of acceptable gap thickness made it not function correctly. It was the first time I had issues with a locker. I been installing and running lockrites for years without any issues so it was a bit odd to me.

As for driving with a front locker, it's pretty scary. I was driving home from butler on 79 and it was snowing. I needed 4wd cuz my rear kept spinning everytime i tried to accelerate. In 4wd, the front end would start sliding sideways everytime you touched the gas. It was so unpredictable and scary. My gf would not drive it in the snow (and its her jeep actually). I had the front and rear locked on my TJ and it did not have these weird driving habits in the snow like the xj did. Maybe the longer wheelbase made it funky in the snow, I dunno, but I didn't like it or felt safe so it came out. I'm putting a locker in the rear within the next couple weeks cuz I can't live lockerless! lol I was trying to test out my bumpstops by flexing on a big rock but that never happened cuz I can't climb shit without lockers.

warwagon98xj
06-17-2010, 09:08 PM

true tracs are great i had one in a power wagon i used to own

tjblair
06-17-2010, 09:18 PM
True tracks work Ok, but do not even compare to a selectable or a lunch box locker. sure they have better road manners than aussie. But they never seem to lock when you need it. My boss has a true track in the front of his YJ and almost every time he lifts a tire off of the ground that is the one that spins while the one on the ground stays still. he keeps saying that he is going to take it out and put in an e-locker. IMO a true track is great for on road use such as in a plow truck.Or for someone who uses 4w all the time on snowy roads.( the only time I put it in 4w in the snow is if i'm stuck) But offroad they always seem to spin only one tire at the worst possible time.

muddeprived
06-17-2010, 09:23 PM
true tracs are great i had one in a power wagon i used to own

My experience with a limited slip sucked. My dad's pickup had a limited slip. He was so excited about it, thinking it would help him getting up the steep driveway in the winter. Well I watched him time after time struggling to get up in 4wd. One tire spins and the other sleeps. No action from the limit slip even with him riding the brake at times. I found myself winching him up on a daily basis. Quite fun though lol. Of course my TJ, locked F/R, didn't have much trouble getting up.

IMO, they don't offer much for off roaders.

tjblair
06-17-2010, 09:29 PM
The true track is a little better than a clutch driven limited slip(like a track lock). the true track is gear driven,and like I said is a little better but always seem to act like an open carrier at the worst time.

muddeprived
06-17-2010, 09:33 PM
The true track is a little better than a clutch driven limited slip(like a track lock). the true track is gear driven,and like I said is a little better but always seem to act like an open carrier at the worst time.

That's what I hear from other uses so I always assumed it was the same as a limited slip. Saw quite a few people install the T-T and then convert to a locker later on cuz they weren't pleased with the T-T. How much do Tru Tracks go for? Are they priced similar to lockers?

I can see a tru track coming in use for someone who doesn't off road alot but needs a bit more traction than what an open diff offers. Like utility trucks, power line trucks, etc they might need that extra ounce of traction when getting to the poles on the beaten path but for an off roader, nothing comes close and offers as much as a locker.

tjblair
06-17-2010, 09:46 PM
You hit the nail on the head there bud. as far as price, its been a while since i had to price one but IIRC they are in the same ballpark as a full case locker like a Detroit. I worked on a plow truck last winter, we put true tracks in front and rear as well as a regear at the same time. It went pretty damn good in the snow. but it was definitly not an offroad rig.

muddeprived
06-17-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm gonna take this off topic now so it becomes a true pgh thread......

I just checked shipping for a 8.25 aussie shipped via UPS to Beaver County : $20

AussieLocker is from Rochester NY. Doesn't this shipping quote sound pretty steep? When I sold my lockrite, I had to get quotes for some and it was always around $11 to ship, even to Nevada. Does aussie locker use a huge box or something?

tjblair
06-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Tell them to put it in one of those "if it fits it ships" boxes lol. I keep saying I'm going to get one of those boxes and fill it with lead and ship it to myself from the shop just to fawk with the mail man.LOL

warwagon98xj
06-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Tell them to put it in one of those "if it fits it ships" boxes lol. I keep saying I'm going to get one of those boxes and fill it with lead and ship it to myself from the shop just to fawk with the mail man.LOL

shipping is the total cost you boxing it up, driving it to the ups location. all that

tjblair
06-17-2010, 11:34 PM
I thought that "if it fits it ships" was a us mail program.

toocheaptosmoke
06-18-2010, 12:12 AM
I thought that "if it fits it ships" was a us mail program.

USPS does have the flat rate boxes. I did some digging a while back and I think there was a cap on the weight, like 60 or 70 pounds, I too thought about shipping lead. :037:

muddeprived
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Emailed aussie about the shipping price:

We appreciate your interest in the Aussie Locker. Great school RIT. A
lot of the offroad club members there run Aussie Lockers. As to your
shipping cost question, since 2004 we have always charged a $ 10
processing and handling charge on shipping. This is added to the actual
shipping costs as determined by UPS.

jim91303
06-18-2010, 01:17 PM
northridge 4x4 $259 shipped just got mine the other day putting it in today
http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=AL-XD-13027&cat=158

muddeprived
06-18-2010, 01:44 PM
northridge 4x4 $259 shipped just got mine the other day putting it in today
http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=AL-XD-13027&cat=158

any problems with delays in shipping? I hear alot of negative things about their shipping but no first hand experience with them.

by the way, that was the dana 30. i'm lookin for the 8.25 aussie. They sell it for $319, more than aussie themselves.

SirFuego
06-18-2010, 02:38 PM
I just looked at my e-invoice from the two lockers I ordered from them. Rochester is about an hour from me and I paid $20.13 for two lockers shipped to where I work.