PDA

View Full Version : help with header install required...

Jpdst29
12-20-2004, 12:03 PM
i was planning on replacing my exhaust manifold with a banks or similar header this coming spring. due to my lack of engine skills, i do not want to attempt this by myself. i was just curious to see if anybody had done this before and if anybody would be willing to help me out. we can arrange on some sort of compensation for your time.

i know that i could take it to someone and have them do it...but i like to learn about new stuff...and this would be a perfect chance to learn something new

thanks

Bill
12-20-2004, 12:22 PM
Now that I have a Banks Cat-Back I have been seriously contimplating adding a new Banks Header as well. I know that they are a PIA to do, so this is one of the few things that I will probably pay someone to do. I don't know how much an exhaust shop charges to do it, but I am sure I can find someplace cheap enough to do it for me and make the lack of grief worth my while.

If you do decide to tackle yours let me know... I wanna watch. :lol:

(I will help to the best of my abilities, but I hear it is a REAL PAIN!)

coverinearth
12-20-2004, 12:59 PM
if yall wanna see the banks header in person i have one not installed yet, brand spankin new, just debating on which vehicle to put it on! bill how do u like the cat back? i was debating on adding the downpipe and catback as well

coverinearth
12-20-2004, 01:04 PM
ps, my sources tell me its like a 6-7 hour job on a XJ, lol, fun fun fun, considering the whole intake mani has to come off because thats what holds the exhaust mani on!

Jpdst29
12-20-2004, 01:51 PM
yeah....6-7 hours sounds about right

i also heard that it is a pain to get the bolts out of the block that hold the manifold on...snap one of those off inside and you are screwed :Hangman:

i have a friend who knows a good bit about engines and i am thinking of getting him over to matt's someday and join us...maybe he will help me do mine and possibly yours too Bill :D

MF Steve!
12-20-2004, 05:16 PM
i was thinkin about gettin one myself. i was thinkin jba...but i dont wanna install it til i work my body exit exhaust plans out... sounds like a header party...

OverkillZJ
12-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Why ask, it's just gonna end up over here anyway like everyone else ;)

MF Steve!
12-20-2004, 09:07 PM
:smt042

YJBeef
12-20-2004, 10:31 PM
It really isn't too hard, ya just gotta pay attention. I put my pacesetter on in about 4hrs but it was two less cylinders. Hardest part was trying to short-cut but that didn't work, plus sometimes fitments a little tough but still doable.