PDA

View Full Version : Mtn biking in North Park: Saturday May 20. anyone in?

2002wranglerX
05-19-2006, 08:25 AM
just wanted to go out and do a fairly easy ride on the trails in NP. Gotta take the new bike out and test her out!!! it's like an 8 or 9 mile loop through the woods. It's not a horrible ride. I'm not exactly in shape right now lol. But i'd like to get out and get a ride in.

Let me know if anyone wants to go!

BAD_GNR
05-19-2006, 08:38 AM
June, or did you mean May? I'd be interested, but I'm not sure where you're talking about. All the trails I'm aware of are illegal, trust me, been chased by cops enough times when I was in High school. Unless you're talking about the paved jogging trail around the lake, or some other paved road. If there's a legal 8 mile mtb trail, I'd be very interested in knowing about it.

Cebby
05-19-2006, 09:42 AM
I'd love to get out also. I can't this weekend, but my fat old ass needs some seat time soon!

What kind of bike did you get?

OverkillZJ
05-19-2006, 10:09 AM
When this whole buggy / wheeling extravaganza is over, I'd really like to start getting into mountain biking. I haven't really ridden since I was a teenager, when a Raleigh m-60 was a darn good bike (doesn't even have suspension.)

When I have more time I could take it on some easy rides, but if I really got back into it I'd need to find a better bike used, haha. I even managed to bust the fork on this at one point, can't remember what I replaced it with.

cjw94xk
05-19-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm in. Just let me know where and when.

Bill
05-19-2006, 11:14 AM
I would love to do this... I have only had the bicycle out twice this year. (After paying all that money for it a few years back I need to ride it more often.) I am going to the WPAXC Meet & Greet at Pittsburgh East Nissan though. Maybe next time.

BAD_GNR
05-19-2006, 11:29 AM
If it's may 20(tomorrow) I'm picking up my canoe in Clarion. By the way, anyone have any experience with a canoe on the roll bars of a tj? I know people do it, and I just need to tie it down real good and drive easy, but advice would be nice.

Back on topic, I'd love to get a ride together with this group sometime. Which brings to question, is everyone thinking that these are mountain bikes on roads and rail trails, or actual mountain biking?

2002wranglerX
05-19-2006, 11:56 AM
WHOOPS! i meant may 20!!!!

you can ride the horseback riding trails in NP . . . you just have to yield to the horseback riders (who you almost never see, especially on the fun technical stuff).

The trail starts up behind that old white church on top of the hill. If you're going into NP from the batting cages, you make the left and head down the 1 way side. you make the second left (the first takes you to the golf course and the 2nd takes you up the hill to the church). Park at the parking lot just before the church on the left. The trail begins there and winds up behind the church.

That trail takes you down past the golf course, then you ride behind the horse show ring, along that road (in the woods), cross the field, back into the woods and that drops you out by the ice skating rink. Then you jump accross the road and up "cardiac hill" which is all rocks and a killer climb. That takes you up by the water tower all through that ridge and eventually drops you out by the boat launch area which is always muddy, sloppy and fun! I've been biking those trails since i was 14 years old. Never had a problem and you always see other bikers.

I'm feeling like i'm gonna be real lazy and leave one car at the bottom of the hill and park one at the top. That way everyone can catch a ride to teh top (that first hill sucks) and at the end of the ride you can shuttle someone up to get the car at the top!

I don't want to kill myself this ride (exercise wise!) lol. But the best place to meet is the parking strip right at the beginning of the 1 way section. I'm thinking tomorrow like . . . . i dunno . . .10:30? too early?

Oh, this is what i bought

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=trail-genesis&bike=Paragon

They're sayin 29ers are teh way of the future. So far i'm loving this thing! the shocks are RIDICULOUS! you have positive and negative air chambers so you can tune where you want it to be stiff and where to be soft, it's got a lock out with a gate to control how strong you want the lockout, and it has bound and rebound control!

not to mention it's super light, hydrolic disc brakes (juicy 7's!) and full race , race tubeless ready wheels, carbon fiber headstock, basically it's race ready out of the box!

Bill
05-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Fixed the date...

2002wranglerX
05-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks man,

http://www.county.allegheny.pa.us/parks/maps/npmapb.pdf

On the bottom, follow ingomar rd in. that map is unclear, but you'll make the left after the ice cream place, then your first right and you'll see the parking strip right there.

ArtCloud
05-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Matt, I too have an M-60, it however does have Rock Shox though. But very low end shimano parts, I'd like to give it a tune up next summer with some LX components or something along the same lines if they don't make LX anymore, I've been out of the scene for a while now...even though the parts are cheaper it's still a solid bike for being 6 years old now.

OverkillZJ
05-19-2006, 01:04 PM
My m60 would be about 11 years old now :D

2002wranglerX
05-19-2006, 02:24 PM
it's not worth redoing an old bike.

all the frames have gone aluminum. And for 500 bucks you can get a good bike, aluminum frame, disc brakes, and good components with good shocks . . . . . its just not worth redoing old bikes!

BAD_GNR
05-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Yea, I know that trail. Been run off of it before by cops. Things might have changed since then, it's been like, 8 or 9 years since I was out there last. People may ride it, but you have to be careful. I have no problems running from the cops on a bike, but just knowing how we jeep, it's a totally different attitude.

Cebby
05-19-2006, 03:13 PM
. . . . . its just not worth redoing old bikes!

That's for sure. Prices have come way down too. I bought a fully rigid Haro about (gulp) 14 years ago for like $650. It was all steel with LX components. It was a tank. I upgraded the front end, but the steel frame was a boat anchor. I upgraded to a used Klein Mantra Comp F/S about 5 years ago - no discs, but everything else. Paid $600 for that ($1800 new the year before). Nice and light for F/S

I also have a Mongoose Amplifier F/S that 's built. Gave it to the Mrs. That thing is a feather.

r6cyclegal
05-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Yea, I know that trail. Been run off of it before by cops. Things might have changed since then, it's been like, 8 or 9 years since I was out there last. People may ride it, but you have to be careful. I have no problems running from the cops on a bike, but just knowing how we jeep, it's a totally different attitude.

If you'd cut your hair maybe the cops wouldn't chase you everywhere!! :unibrow:

ps: It was a joke. Don't take offense. Don't cut your hair because of the last comment. :080:

2002wranglerX
05-19-2006, 03:55 PM

you're allowed to be on the cross country skiing/horse trails. i've talked with multiple police officers about it.

JASON
05-19-2006, 04:38 PM
nothing wrong with old bikes, I am still riding a 10 year old trek y. and actually it was cheaper when i bought it than what a comparable bike is now. Its carbon fiber with Shimano LX components and full suspension. I bought it for $1500 in 96 and a carbon fiber trek full suspension today is like $3000 and up. And everytime i go riding i kill everyone with new fancy bikes, its not so much the bike but the rider. same as jeeps

BAD_GNR
05-19-2006, 04:50 PM
you're allowed to be on the cross country skiing/horse trails. i've talked with multiple police officers about it.

Good to know, like I said, it's been about 8 or 9 years since I've ridden out there.... things change.

BAD_GNR
05-19-2006, 04:53 PM
ps: It was a joke. Don't take offense. Don't cut your hair because of the last comment. :080:

Trust me, I didn't. Anyone who takes offense to something said on the internet is in my opinion, well........ I just edited my sig. for future clarification.

Jpdst29
05-19-2006, 04:59 PM
oh man...i would love to ride tomorrow if i didnt have to work...i usually ride the montour trail and trails of that such...but they are not really a good workout...i.e.(no hills)...

i purchased a Haro V-2 mountain bike last year and it has been great for me...extremely lightweight and very durable...

http://www.harobikes.com/atb/v2.php

cjw94xk
05-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I have to work too. But maybe next weekend or on a week night. I have a cannondale m400 I bought back in 93? for 600 bucks. Nothin on it is original but the seat and frame. It dosent have full suspension have roxk shox and it does the trick. I def need a new crank though. Any suggestions? I know cook bros made an awesome one but it was way to pricey.

also, i have an extra say of rock shox mag20's if anyone needs a front fork
and last thought.. anyone ever think about going on to connelsville to go biking?

trailerrails
05-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh, this is what i bought

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...s&bike=Paragon (http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=trail-genesis&bike=Paragon)

Where did you pick up the paragon? I manage Pittsburgh Pro Bikes. I can't give out any deals on current model year bikes but if I have anyhting left over or you need some accesories, ask for Jason. I'll cut you guys a break where I can.

2002wranglerX
05-20-2006, 10:11 PM
i got it at dirty harry's. Awesome guys there. REALLY took the time to make sure i was on the bike i wanted. i went to 5 bike shops and this was the one where the guys really "sold" me the bike.

price didn't seem bad 1650 plus 10% off any accessories. i walked out of there with a really nice helmet, shoes, gloves, and the bike for about 1900.

trailerrails
05-20-2006, 10:48 PM
The crew down at Dirty Harrys is good. That is the only other store in Pittsburgh other than Pitt Pro that I would recomend.

2002wranglerX
05-23-2006, 08:10 AM
might try another ride this weekend if anyone wants to go.

JB_Pgh
05-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Man I miss mountain biking, I switched over to a road bike a few years back to supplement my running. I'm ready to get back on knobbies...South Park used to have a ton of trails too. Might be time to go shopping...