PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control email i got....

trailblaze
07-19-2010, 08:46 PM
This just about says it all.

PEOPLE ASK WHY?

Why Carry a Gun?

My old grandpa said to me 'Son, there comes a time in every
man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and
usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin.'

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil
in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of
government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life
hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed,
and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be
a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves
and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am
inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it
meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron.
Free citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just
investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean
up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too
old to take an ass whoopin'.....author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to
1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were
rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. >From 1915 to 1917, 1.5
million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945,
a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend
themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. >From 1948 to 1952, 20
million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981,
100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.
---- ------------- -------------

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979,
300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one
million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up
and exterminated.
-----------------------------

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th
Century because of gun control: 56 million.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear
politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property
and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding
citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please
remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because
they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti gun-control
message to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win.
There is no possible victory in defense.
The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either.
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY
CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

IT'S A NO BRAINIER!
DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN
EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

I'm a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment!
If you are too, please forward.

Dick.Breakey
07-19-2010, 09:03 PM
i think ive seen a variation of that before. speaks the truth. im a few years away from being able to get my CHL or whatever PA calls it. im excited. takes a lot of fear away from bad situations.

JEEPIN/J.S.A
07-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I couldn't agree more!!!

notmYJ
07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
The best thing about being able to carry a gun is that it acts as a deterrent from crime for those who decide not to carry. The criminals don't know who has one. So even the rabidly anti gun person benefits from those of us that do carry. It offers protection and safety from the two legged dangers, aswell as the 4 legged variety.

What drives me crazy is the unreasonable fear of guns that many people have. Or the thought that having a gun near a child is a bad thing. These people think that guns are bad and they are going to randomly cause death. Never mind the fact that people they pass on the street, do business with, are friends with, or in some cases even live with have guns on them, and yet they are completely nieve and wrapped up in their own lives to notice that the guy standing in line behind them at the grocery store, or the woman with 3 kids at the next gas pump has a gun on them.

I know there were a few guns that made it to the BBQ on sat, how many did you notice? And yet even with all the kids around, good times being had, no one got shot. To some people, the very thought of someone having a gun at a BBQ is enough for them to pack up and leave. Open or concealed. Doesn't matter. I'm not gonna say how many I noticed, and def not gonna say who had what. But let's just say if a rabid racoon had wondered in to the pavilion, I would have been confident that it would have suffered an abrupt end to its existance far before any of the kids got a scratch on them.

Its that kind of individual yet collective security that the group as a whole benefits from. Whether it be a racoon, or a couple of guys who think it would be easy to rob a BBQ at gun point in the middle of a park, after dark, the guns on hips, in the pockets, or in the purses are there to make sure we all go home, and be an ever present deterrent to the 2 legged dangers that roam this little world of ours.

trailblaze
07-19-2010, 11:12 PM
lol... packin heat at the meet and greet.

Dick.Breakey
07-19-2010, 11:17 PM
i appreciate that. i know im safe when i dont have the protection. thanks

DMG
07-19-2010, 11:26 PM
If you carry a gun because you cant take a beating you are a *****. A gun is for when the odds are really bad and there is nothing else you can do.

Super Scout
07-19-2010, 11:35 PM
I carry a gun for the same reason I wear a seat belt you never know what card life is going to deal ya, I just like to be prepared.

notmYJ
07-20-2010, 02:17 AM
DMG, I hope I didn't come across as I will shoot instead of take a beating. Honestly, if someone is trying to get in a fight with me, and I have a gun on me, I'm the first to go away. The ONLY time will come out is if it is going bang and its justified. But then again, I'm not gonna go a round with a racoon in broad daylight either. ;)

mrdylanr
07-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Go Sheep Dogs!!!

joshs1ofakindxj
07-20-2010, 08:35 AM
im a few years away from being able to get my CHL or whatever PA calls it

In PA, it is a LTCF (License To Carry a Firearm). Here are some great links that explain firearm carry law in PA.

http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-open-carry-121/7582-read-first-where-you-can-cannot-carry-weapons-state-pennsylvania.html

Dick.Breakey
07-20-2010, 09:02 AM
i cant get to those links at work right now, and im curious. in Texas when I was 17, i was arrested for a felony, but then i served and completed my deferred adjuducation probation so i dont have a conviction on my record(hence why im still able to get my investment licenses and work for the bank). Texas says I have to wait 5 or 10 years from the time i complete said probation. is PA any different? does the fact that I was in Texas when all this happened help me to be able to get it here in PA?

HoodRN
07-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Check out www.pafoa.org for answers to your questions about licensing/carry in Pennsylvania.

mrdylanr
07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
It depends what the felony was for.

Dick.Breakey
07-20-2010, 11:04 AM
state jail felony. less than class 1 or stage 1 or whatever that is. but still a felony. and it was for drugs. not abuse or theft or anything.

joshs1ofakindxj
07-20-2010, 11:25 AM
state jail felony. less than class 1 or stage 1 or whatever that is. but still a felony. and it was for drugs. not abuse or theft or anything.

If you post on PAFOA, there are some lawyers and very knowledgeable people who would be able to tell you the facts.

If you can't find out, just apply for it. If you're denied, the worst you'll be out is $25 and a few hours of your time.

Have you tried purchasing a firearm in PA?

If you have a handgun legally in your possession, you don't need your LTCF to open carry on foot. You only need an LTCF if you're riding in/on a vehicle or concealing. There is more to it, like being able to carry during a time of martial law, but you can read up at those links I posted.

Dick.Breakey
07-20-2010, 11:51 AM
i figure ill just go ahead and apply for one when i get around to getting my pa dl. that will tell me when it comes back.

DMG
07-20-2010, 04:47 PM
DMG, I hope I didn't come across as I will shoot instead of take a beating. Honestly, if someone is trying to get in a fight with me, and I have a gun on me, I'm the first to go away. The ONLY time will come out is if it is going bang and its justified. But then again, I'm not gonna go a round with a racoon in broad daylight either. ;)

Nah, I knew what you meant. I just wanted to generally state that shooting someone who is unarmed over a fight is bad.

trailblaze
07-20-2010, 09:12 PM
i don't carry mine all the time......it's just a tad to big for good conceal.

i mostly carry in the woods. for some reason i worry of an animal attacking my dog or me and also coming across weirdo's in the woods. i ran into a guy who was most likely tripping his balls off deep into the woods. looked like he was living in a tent/shack for a few days... garbage and tarps laying all over the woods.... he approached and offered me and my wife some ear plugs to eat. he had them in an altoids can. had i been packing i would have had the gun in my hand and said '' i'm leaving... do not follow us''

98ZJ
07-20-2010, 11:03 PM
I went to buy myself a birthday present today. A Ruger SR9 and upon the background check it had to go for further review. I am curious exactly what in my history would warrant this, no felonys or convictions of any sort outside a minor traffic offense. I guess we will see what the outcome is. the ultimate goal was to get my LTCF. Of course owning one would make it a bit more useful.

joshs1ofakindxj
07-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I went to buy myself a birthday present today. A Ruger SR9 and upon the background check it had to go for further review. I am curious exactly what in my history would warrant this, no felonys or convictions of any sort outside a minor traffic offense. I guess we will see what the outcome is. the ultimate goal was to get my LTCF. Of course owning one would make it a bit more useful.

Sometimes, if you don't put your SSN on there, it can cause some confusion with someone with the same name so it gets delayed. So if you failed to put some information down or something has the same name as you and has done something then that is a reason you could be having an issue. I hope it works out for you though if you truly haven't done anything wrong.

joshs1ofakindxj
07-21-2010, 11:46 AM
i don't carry mine all the time......it's just a tad to big for good conceal.

Which is why open carry is legal!

JeepSteeler
07-21-2010, 12:26 PM
My personal motto is avoidance is the number one priority. If there is an opportunity to remove myself/family etc from the threat situation, that path will be taken. The goal is survival, not machismo. Without options to avoid, then I'll go forward with armed defense. I hope I never have to consider it.

notmYJ
07-21-2010, 12:38 PM
My personal motto is avoidance is the number one priority. If there is an opportunity to remove myself/family etc from the threat situation, that path will be taken. The goal is survival, not machismo. Without options to avoid, then I'll go forward with armed defense. I hope I never have to consider it.

oddly enough you just summerized state law, as it is right now. There is a bill in the house that will change it, but as of right now, in PA we have a duty to flee before you can use deadly force.

joshs1ofakindxj
07-21-2010, 12:43 PM
oddly enough you just summerized state law, as it is right now. There is a bill in the house that will change it, but as of right now, in PA we have a duty to flee before you can use deadly force.

The PA "castle doctrine" bill is currently stalled out from what I last read. I hope it gets rolling again. But you're right on about state law.

Avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation are the three keys to self preservation without aggression.

Super Scout
07-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Its not looking good for the castle doctrine this is the most recent thing I have read.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/07/15/pennsylvania-castle-doctrine-house/

Here is the actual bill

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/BillInfo.cfm?syear=2009&sind=0&body=H&type=B&bn=40

joshs1ofakindxj
07-21-2010, 03:01 PM
And here is where you can email Rep. Evans and tell him to let House Bill 40 get voted on like I just did - http://www.pahouse.com/evans/contact.asp

Dick.Breakey
07-21-2010, 03:29 PM
i just emailed to say "please vote in favor". yeah bitches

JeepSteeler
07-21-2010, 03:40 PM
The PA "castle doctrine" bill is currently stalled out from what I last read. I hope it gets rolling again. But you're right on about state law.

Avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation are the three keys to self preservation without aggression.

Yep, I've been following that bill too, hoping that it does pass. I'd like to throw my motto out the window if the bad guy sets foot on my property in the middle of the night with bad intentions.

As for deterrence, I've been keen on the laser mounts lately. Picked up a rail mounted laser/LED flashlight for my S&W 9mm (as well as the CT for the LCP). Hopefully the little red dot makes one think twice.....

steveg0690
07-21-2010, 04:16 PM
I've been following the "castle doctrine" since it first came up. I am in favor of it and everyone that I could email knows it. I believe in the right to carry and protect my family and myself. I carry.

projeeper
07-21-2010, 06:33 PM
i won a rifle in a raffle,when i went to pick it up they ran an insta check and i was told i had to wait another 10 days?????
when i went back and got the rifle i asked why the delay.
i was told my record was too clean!the very next day i went and got my carry permit

newyj
07-21-2010, 10:59 PM
never leave home without it.. Ya never know.....

newyj
07-21-2010, 11:00 PM
PAFOA.ORG for more info

joshs1ofakindxj
07-22-2010, 08:13 AM
PAFOA.ORG for more info

I can't say enough good stuff about that site. It robs me of about an hour or 2 of my day just reading stories and discussions. It has its turds like every forum but there is a lot of good stuff going on there.