PDA

View Full Version : Grand engine swap

jackb1
08-06-2010, 02:05 PM
I've got a buddy who wants me to pick up a 2001 Grand Cherokee with a blown motor. The guy is asking $2,000 and it was a repo. Other than the engine, it's in nice shape.

It's got the V8. Anybody ever pull one that can tell me if it is a bad engine to do? It isn't my first but I also don't want to get into this if it is an in-depth engine to swap.

I'm just thinking about swapping broken for running, but I guess I'd consider an actual 'swap' if there was a bolt-up or virtually bolt-up swap available. I did quickly google and it looks like a Hemi isn't really possible without major work so I doubt there would be any other good candidate.

Anybody do one before that cares to share? Anybody have access to book-time? How long does it say?

OverkillZJ
08-06-2010, 02:22 PM
The stock 4.7's are pretty powerful in stock form.

2002wranglerX
08-06-2010, 02:32 PM
i've heard and read it's a gigantic pain in the ass.

also, most of the 4.7's that were in good running shape went for big $. like 1500 bucks and up... that was a while ago though.

jackb1
08-06-2010, 02:48 PM
The stock 4.7's are pretty powerful in stock form.

But how hard is it to swap in a new one?

I'd only consider a performance swap if it were super plug-n-play. It just needs a new motor period, to run.

jackb1
08-06-2010, 02:50 PM
i've heard and read it's a gigantic pain in the ass.

also, most of the 4.7's that were in good running shape went for big $. like 1500 bucks and up... that was a while ago though.

PITA is not what I'm looking for.

I did a quick ebay (I know that will be high $) to get an idea, $1,500 still seems to be about it on there. There was a 5.9 for $2,000...

Would it be worth my time for a $2,000 price tag + motor + time

OverkillZJ
08-07-2010, 10:03 AM
In that vehicle, between the 5.9 and 4.7, I'd put in the 4.7. Why not? It was built for that vehicle, and all parts of it should plug and play if it's from the same year/series of vehicle. Unless you want to go nuts, keep it simple.

Dick.Breakey
08-07-2010, 11:46 AM
gotengines.com

always great service and really good prices for lower mileage warrantied motors.

DMG
08-07-2010, 03:08 PM
It pays 11 hours with swapping parts over. Unless you work on that motor/chassis regularly it will take longer. I would estimate it for $900 with fluids, etc assuming it didn't need a new rear main or other additional work.
Most work involving a 4.7 is not too much fun but not terrible. The motor has valvetrain and other issues so it is hard to find a good used motor. How many miles on this one?