PDA

View Full Version : Biologists baffled by the resurgence of a primitive species

jlovbasz3
08-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Biologists baffled by the resurgence of a primitive species

Sunday, August 08, 2010
By Deborah Weisberg

The toothy bowfin is a candidate for protected status and off-limits to harvest.

But this dinosaur-age relic appears to be making a comeback in the French Creek watershed, and some biologists says it eventually could be managed as a sportfish.

Although bowfins remain rare in some parts of the state, they now are surfacing in large numbers in lakes such as Conneaut and LeBoeuf, and in the Conneaut outlet marsh, also known as Geneva Swamp..

"The marsh is where they seem to be most abundant," Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission biologist and bowfin enthusiast Tim Wilson said, "but there's been a dramatic increase throughout most of the French Creek drainage, although we're not exactly sure why."

One theory is improving water quality and abundant forage.

"Bowfins can survive in poor conditions, but prefer clean water," said Wilson.

Another theory that might explain their abundance in some areas concerns their ability to deal with hot weather conditions intolerable to other species. The bowfin's swim bladder also functions as a lung, enabling it to rise to the surface of poorly oxygenated water and gulp air.

"They seem to do well in the sort of low, warm water we've seen at times this summer," said Wilson. "They appear to have an advantage during times of drought."

Their rough-and-tumble constitution also means they actively feed when other fish lay low, and a foraging bowfin puts up a good fight, said Wilson, who has seen specimens as big as 10 pounds, 32 inches in some Crawford County waters.

"They have a serious set of teeth on them, and they're very aggressive predators. They're also aggressive scavengers that survive well eating dead stuff. Whatever you throw in the water, they'll come over for it," he said.

Although he has caught bowfins on bass lures such as spinner baits and rubber worms, Wilson finds dead baitfish to be more consistently productive.

"My primary bait is dead minnows -- bowfins love them -- on a size 2 or bigger hook," he said. Wilson uses his bass rod, 8-pound test or heavier line, and a wire leader to prevent bite offs. It helps to keep a landing net handy, and pliers are a must.

"I try to release bowfin when they're still in the water, which is easier both on me and the fish," he said. "The whole head is bone, and the teeth are sharp, so they're not easy to unhook."

Because they are a candidate species -- their conservation status is currently in limbo -- bowfins can be targeted like other species, but must be released unharmed. And because they are so willing to bite, Wilson said anglers fishing for bass and other species have begun complaining they can't keep bowfins off the hook, and often treat them roughly.

"We get reports of guys throwing them up on the banks. That's considered wanton waste and illegal, and people have been cited for it," he said. "They must be returned to the water unharmed."

Bowfins are known by many names, including dog fish, swamp bass and swamp muskie, owing to their affinity for slow-moving channels and backwater pools. Besides Conneaut and LeBoeuf, they're found at Edinboro and Sugar lakes, and, in lower density, in Presque Isle Bay.

"I wouldn't send people to Presque Isle to fish for them. I'd stick to the French Creek watershed," Wilson said. "The Geneva Marsh has a lot of them."

Although bowfins are also native to the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio rivers, they appear to be less abundant there. A few were documented in the Allegheny near Freeport and Tarentum in 2005 and in the Monongahela at Grey's Landing in 1996.

Bowfins in Lake Somerset are the result of stockings performed 70 years ago to try to control panfish populations.

"It didn't work," said the agency's southwest region biologist Rick Lorson, "but bowfins have been there ever since, just not in great numbers."

Folks wanting to target bowfins should look for weedy areas in shallow water.

"They like vegetation a lot. They'll burrow way, way back in the weeds even when they spawn," Wilson said.

Although bowfins are distinctive-looking, with eel-like bodies and a dorsal fin along the entire length of their backs, during the spring spawn males look even more remarkable, turning a vivid green.

"They also become even more aggressive, since they stick around to guard the eggs and then the fry," said Wilson. "They'll attack whatever comes near."

Muskie guide Howard Wagner has caught bowfins on big bucktail spinners while fishing for muskies at Edinboro Lake.

"At first you think you have a muskie on," he said. "They're super-aggressive. When you hook one, it'll strip out your line."

Fish and Boat Commission executive director John Arway encourages anglers who have encounters with bowfins -- negative or otherwise -- to share their experiences with the agency and provide photos if they can. Documentation from anglers will help the commission to decide in the next few years whether to manage bowfins as a gamefish or a protected species.

Data from all waterways where bowfins exist will be considered, along with impacts and threats to their habitat.

projeeper
08-09-2010, 04:32 PM
i,ve caught these in lake erie years ago & they are 1 ugly mother also they don,t make a patch on a muskies azz

Techflork
11-23-2010, 01:33 AM
so this is wayyy late but I catch those at Conneaut Lake all the time. They're amazing fighters, love it. They're also huge, just gotta watch those jaws. I watched one snap a metal hook right in half. They're taking over the lake unfortunately though :/

village_idiot
11-23-2010, 02:13 AM
looks like i need to get my fishing shit in order over the winter and go have me some fun

anodyne33
11-23-2010, 11:00 AM
A Lazarus taxon,

cityslicker
03-08-2011, 01:08 PM
http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/public/sites/659/assets/85P8_15002878_LkNormanMonster.JPG

is it this thing? ^^^^^^??? i want one!

cityslicker
03-08-2011, 01:09 PM
so this is wayyy late but I catch those at Conneaut Lake all the time. They're amazing fighters, love it. They're also huge, just gotta watch those jaws. I watched one snap a metal hook right in half. They're taking over the lake unfortunately though :/

Damn I never catch squat out Conneaut.. what do you use for bait up there?

2002wranglerX
03-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Me too. They're killing off the pan fish. I usually catch em on a worm lure

pghchamp
03-08-2011, 02:01 PM
some of the fish we catch off my buddy's dock, we cut em up and put the pieces on a hook and usually catch a big bowfin.

Techflork
03-19-2011, 11:17 PM
they're awesome fish. I usually use worms but lately I've been tiny hooks for baby gill then i hook the gill on a big hook and throw it far out with a bobber. The fish is too small to drag the bobber down too much. literally man, you leave it there for 5 minutes i'd put all my money down that something will take it down. I have yet to catch anything with this method. I don't use that method much cause i kinda feel bad for the blue gill :P If you rig it right i guarantee you'll catch a huge one. My cousin also caught a bowfin off of tubes. 30 inch bowfin mind you! and another thing, people say worms don't work....WELL! I've caught my biggest fish off of worms! 2 foot northern pike took my worm and so do a lot of the bowfin. You just never know. Only reason why i use gill now is cause this one time i was pulling a bluegill in and i watch a bass shoot out of no where and snatch it right off the hook. It was the craziest thing ever! man i could fish all day every day and never get bored :)

Techflork
03-19-2011, 11:20 PM
oh and we fish on the docks. things have gone down hill in the past couple of years. the treated the water with chemicals for the seaweed and that killed TONS of fish. And they just added new docks to the ones we fish from and I don't seem to be able to get much there anymore :(

2002wranglerX
03-19-2011, 11:42 PM
oh and we fish on the docks. things have gone down hill in the past couple of years. the treated the water with chemicals for the seaweed and that killed TONS of fish. And they just added new docks to the ones we fish from and I don't seem to be able to get much there anymore :(

Where do u fish? My cottage is near midway

Techflork
03-20-2011, 12:12 AM
I'd have to get more info, I don't really know. Our cottage is in Meadville and the docks are off of a busy road. There is a marine shop that sells rafts and boating stuff. There is a dirt road next to it, you follow that down and the lake with the docks is on the left. There is a huge willow tree and you park in the grass. You can see the docks from the marine shop. It's really close. Sorry I don't have any other info, I will ask my dad and try to figure out what they're called or at least get the name of that busy road haha. You do have to own a boat and it has to be docked there for you to fish off the docks. Some guy asked us about it once, we do have a boat but he didn't ask for proof or anything.

IBJEEPN
03-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Years ago. Like 30 plus..lol A neighbor kid caught one at Meridian Vets Club pond (Butler). They suspected at the time, someone throwing it in there to get rid off the flatsiders. Or somehow getting thrown in with minnows.