PDA

View Full Version : Got Propane?

skipdoo940
08-12-2010, 11:26 PM
What do you guys think about propane conversions? I was thinking about going with a www.gotpropane.com (http://www.gotpropane.com) injection kit. They say they will work at any angle and keep your oil and engine cleaner than running gasoline. As I have a carb yota 22r it would be an option vs. going 22re and having to go through all the computer and intake swap B.S. They make a complete kit for around $800 and I could get rid of that dam gas tank under the rear of the ride.

Sycotik Skier
08-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Propane is higher octane also like 115 IIRC so you can get away with more timing. The only problem I really see with propane is running out on the trail, I don't see a lot of people carrying spare propane and it's not always the easiest to go get filled.

skipdoo940
08-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Yea I kno its hard to get filled, and if I go that way Id definetly have to get two tanks so that I could always run one completly empty and just switch it out. I think propane costs a littl more (if you go to a distributor, i kno sheetz and other BBQ places will rape ya) but I just think it would be sweet.

joshs1ofakindxj
08-13-2010, 08:16 AM
I met some guys in NY running propane. They did their conversions using junkyard parts from forklifts and a few new parts for around $200 so you don't have to spend a lot on this. They also each ran two 10 pound tanks, the larger forklift size tank, and they had no issues running out.

Edit: Thought they were 10 pounders but after reading Dan's post they were obviously larger.

dan58
08-13-2010, 08:52 AM
I have been running the gotpropane kit on my rig for 3 years. It's fantastic. Super simple, reliable, and works every time. It's one wire for a safety solenoid. The benefit of buying from Cary is that he provides all NEW parts. Everything from top to bottom. You also can call him at 10 at night, and he'll help you until it runs like a top.

Forklift tanks come in 3 sizes. The mini tank is ~20#. I've yet to see anyone run those on the trail. Most common is a 33.5# and a 40#. Most everyone runs a 33 though. You'd get a full day of trail riding out of a 33. I have two brackets in mine - run one empty and then switch over. When gas prices went stupid high, propane stayed almost the same. Shop around, and you can get good deals on propane (especially if paying cash).

Deadman 94 xj
08-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey Dan, does propane allow you to keep the carb? Is that the benefit? I've seen it on rigs but never thought to ask what the point of it was.

Sorry for the hijack.

Sycotik Skier
08-15-2010, 09:12 PM
depends on the set up. I've seen some that can be bi fuel, gas and propane. Run propane on the trail and gas on the street.

Deadman 94 xj
08-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Ah, ok. So it's usually trail only.

Sycotik Skier
08-15-2010, 09:16 PM
yeah. Xtreme 4x4 did a propane system that was bi-fuel from gotpropane.com iirc. I think bifuel would be the way to go personally.

dan58
08-16-2010, 08:43 AM
A propane system does not keep the carb. The system runs tank ->safety solenoid ->vaporizer -> mixer. The vaporizer turns the liquid propane to vapor. It has coolant lines running through it so it doesn't freeze when turning liquid to vapor (think of how a CO2 tank can freeze at the regulator). The mixer is the "carb" that sits on the intake manifold. It looks like a carb, but it's much different. Propane entering the intake manifold is a vapor, not a liquid like gasoline. This vapor is pressurized by the tank, which is why propane will always flow, regardless of the angle.

Bi-fuel is the WORST of all scenarios involving propane. The only way to make it work is with an in-cab dial to change the timing, which is what Ian did. Propane and gas like different timing (propane is much further advanced). To make both run, neither one of them runs well. Pick one or the other and run with it. Besides, who wants a fuel cell/gas tank AND a propane bottle in the back of the rig? You can easily run propane on the steet. Ever see a Schwann's truck?

skipdoo940
08-16-2010, 11:33 PM
So where does the air mixture happen at? Is it a totally sealed system then since the propane come from a tank (ie. no airbox or snorkle needed)? Im assuming that the gas in the propane tank does not require any outside air to be added because you said it is preassurized and forced into the intake by the tank preassure? If so wouldnt that make this thing way better around water without the worry of sucking water into the intake?

dan58
08-17-2010, 09:28 AM
The tank *only* has propane. Remember, it's filled under pressure. It is combined with air at the mixer (the "carb" so to speak). You need some way to get air in it. I run a regular old round air filter, old school style. I hate mud and shit more than anyone, so getting it wet isn't a big concern to me.

bew311xj
11-09-2010, 09:44 PM
hows the fuel economy?

tjblair
11-09-2010, 10:05 PM
I know a few guys running propane. It seems to work out well for them. I just can't stand the smell.

joshs1ofakindxj
11-10-2010, 11:51 PM
I saw a fork lift sitting in the scrap yard. Is there anything I can steal off of it to do a propane conversion on a chevy 350?

dan58
11-11-2010, 12:36 AM
I know a few guys running propane. It seems to work out well for them. I just can't stand the smell.

When you run rich with a gasoline motor, what do you smell? Gas. No different with propane. Those guys are running too rich. A well-tuned propane system won't smell terrible of propane. Some smell, yes. But it's not overwhelming.

I saw a fork lift sitting in the scrap yard. Is there anything I can steal off of it to do a propane conversion on a chevy 350?

Biggest things you need are the propane bracket, vaporizor, and mixer. The mixer might be a little small because *most* forklifts use a Yoter 4 cylinder.

tjblair
11-11-2010, 07:56 AM
It's not really that overwhelming, I just hate the smell of propane.

Meeke
11-11-2010, 10:43 AM
It's not really that overwhelming, I just hate the smell of propane.

I'm with you. I worked for Schwan's for a while and since then I've worked in plants with heavy fork lift traffic. The smell makes me sick.

jim91303
12-08-2010, 07:50 PM
valley gas is a good place to refill propane

flatblack83
12-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Im new here, i have a worked 425 plus hp 350 on propane and it works flawless. i have an older kit with the x450 carb and the x-1. I ran vp105 before propane and it runs a lil better with propane. Also my worked small block gets 10mpg, thats good for 456s and 39s.