PDA

View Full Version : My new side.

commando72
08-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Picked this up last week. Only shot a box through it so far, love it! Smooth for a 1/2 plastic gun, Can almost carry it under a t-shirt in the holster that came with it.

http://users.zoominternet.net/%7Emking/images/XDm45_sm.jpghttp://users.zoominternet.net/%7Emking/images/PistolName_sm.jpg

jlovbasz3
08-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Thats nice! The XD is one on the list for new guns.So when did they bring out the m factor in 45acp?I know they had it in 9mm and 40s&w but never seen the 45acp.How much more does it hold vs. the standard XD?

sethman15210
08-17-2010, 12:46 AM
ill have one of them real soon, where did you get it/how much ? ive been trying ace sporting goods but theyre always out of the 45

jlovbasz3
08-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Do a search on galleryofguns.com I found Elmo's in Brownsville usually has the best deals within a 25 mile search.

commando72
08-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Got mine at Hoover Outfitter's (http://www.hooveroutfitters.com/) in Rockwood pa, it's near Somerset. They had it in three days, just needed a cc to hold the gun until I picked it up in person. I had been watching the gun for a month or so, finally bought it last week. 13 in the clip. Price was right, $590+tax; Five more for the background check.

joshs1ofakindxj
08-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Welcome to the club. I love my XD.

ridgerunner97
08-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Those are great firearms, I love the .45 my buddy has, basically the same as yours.

busij44
08-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Nice....I own several Springers (1911's). Quality sidearms!

Sleeper
08-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Nice XD, the slide looks a lil dry. Oil it down every night for a week or two and keep a thin layer on it, but not too much and it should soak in for you and leave the slide with a more natural look. The Melonite they put in the slides and metal parts since 2006 tend to be a satin finish until you oil em up for a lil. Esp if you plan on carrying it. And the holsters that come with the XD's are junk, look for a cheap Desantis IWB or a nice crossbreed super tuck.

BTW. pick up a nice silicon gun rag and it will do the work for you...

commando72
08-19-2010, 12:13 AM
And the holsters that come with the XD's are junk, look for a cheap Desantis IWB or a nice crossbreed super tuck.
Thanks for the info on the holster. Was looking for something other than stock, want to keep it in the small of my back.

OverkillZJ
08-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Want! I've wanted an XD-m for awhile, in a .45 is just sweet.

EddyB
08-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info on the holster. Was looking for something other than stock, want to keep it in the small of my back.

That's a pretty big gun to be carrying SOB. A lot of people develop back problems from holsters in this position. Sitting down is going to be well, a pain in the back.

Most people carry from 3 o'clock to 4:30.

Another thing I would recommend is not skimping on a holster. You will wind up with a drawer full of cheap holsters that are not comfortable. The Supertuck is very popular and from what I have been told extremely comfortable. Remember the idea is to not have any excuse to not carry. With a gun that big you will want the most comfortable available. I carry a 3" 1911 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC. Super comfy all day long, and barely notice it is there.
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=gu1nfr5ai4f85rup12kquqnpo6

Another thing people do is to carry with a regular belt. They just do not have the rigidity to support the weight of a firearm, especially if you plan on OWB. IWB it will not matter as much as your pants will help support the weapon. Personally, I have carried IWB with a regular belt and the support was lacking compared to my gun belt. http://www.thebeltman.net/ This is who I ordered mine from and he is highly recommended across the country.

Sweet gun BTW, haven't had the opportunity to shoot an M yet but I've never heard a complaint.

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
08-19-2010, 12:48 PM
I carry a Glock 21, the most comfortable place I've found to put it is in my cowboy boot. You won't win any fast draw competitions with it there tho. If I see some trouble brewing I just tuck it in my belt.

DMG
08-19-2010, 04:15 PM
That's a pretty big gun to be carrying SOB. A lot of people develop back problems from holsters in this position. Sitting down is going to be well, a pain in the back.

Another thing I would recommend is not skimping on a holster. You will wind up with a drawer full of cheap holsters that are not comfortable. The Supertuck is very popular and from what I have been told extremely comfortable. Remember the idea is to not have any excuse to not carry. With a gun that big you will want the most comfortable available. I carry a 3" 1911 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC. Super comfy all day long, and barely notice it is there.
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=gu1nfr5ai4f85rup12kquqnpo6

Another thing people do is to carry with a regular belt. They just do not have the rigidity to support the weight of a firearm, especially if you plan on OWB. IWB it will not matter as much as your pants will help support the weapon. Personally, I have carried IWB with a regular belt and the support was lacking compared to my gun belt. http://www.thebeltman.net/ This is who I ordered mine from and he is highly recommended across the country.

Sweet gun BTW, haven't had the opportunity to shoot an M yet but I've never heard a complaint.

Very good advice^ Also look at the Comptac Infidel IWB holster.

I carry a Glock 21, the most comfortable place I've found to put it is in my cowboy boot. You won't win any fast draw competitions with it there tho. If I see some trouble brewing I just tuck it in my belt.

That is awesome. You are a true redneck.

Super Scout
08-19-2010, 10:58 PM
I always carry a gun in my boot, well when I carry. and have boots on obviously.

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
08-20-2010, 09:01 AM
If I don't have my cowboy boots on I carry a little 22 derringer in my pocket

joshs1ofakindxj
08-20-2010, 09:07 AM
I just open carry. I'm not a criminal so I have nothing to hide.

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
08-20-2010, 09:17 AM
I did that once, didn't like all the attention it drew

joshs1ofakindxj
08-20-2010, 10:14 AM
I've been amazed at how little attention I draw. I think it has a lot to do with demeanor and personality. I'm not saying you're walking around with a bad attitude, I just usually go out with friends and I have a pleasant disposition. I've only had one negative encounter. More positives.

EddyB
08-20-2010, 10:57 AM
I just open carry. I'm not a criminal so I have nothing to hide.

So are you implying that those who CC are criminals?

I do have something to hide. I don't want some scumbag and his buddies deciding they want my gun and teaming up on me and taking my firearm. I'll just keep mine covered up.

Here in Pa OC is your right, not for me though.

joshs1ofakindxj
08-20-2010, 11:19 AM
So are you implying that those who CC are criminals?

I do have something to hide. I don't want some scumbag and his buddies deciding they want my gun and teaming up on me and taking my firearm. I'll just keep mine covered up.

Here in Pa OC is your right, not for me though.

Well you could jump to that conclusion, but that's not what I was suggesting. The point was, when was the last time you saw a gang banger open carrying with a retention holster?

I CC a lot also. It depends on the circumstances. I don't OC to church or to family gatherings where there are a lot of small children. CC at a shopping mall is almost a necessity.

You're right, it isn't for everyone, depending on the area you're in. I don't mean to try to impose my view on others or be condescending to people who only CC, I'm just sharing my perspective. I think people should exercise their right to OC, but by means do you have to.

JeepSteeler
08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Nice pickup. My buddy just grabbed up the 9mm from Sportsmans in Butler. Shot it at the range last weekend, nice trigger.

I picked up a S&W Bodyguard .380 to add to the CC rotation. So far so good with about 400 through the pipe. Only issue is one of the laser button covers came off and I lost it, waiting for a replacement now. DeSantis Superfly in the pocket for the most part.

I won't get into the OC vs CC debate, other than I saw a quote on a forum that got me thinking a bit - "if you OC, and somebody is robbing the 7-11 you are in, you are the first guy to get shot."

Maybe, maybe not but got my wheels turning.

commando72
08-20-2010, 09:14 PM
I think I can carry it, the XDm is only a 4.5" barrel, so it's compact enough to carry. I am 6'7" and can conceal some stuff other people might not be able to hide. I just couldn't hide my 6" Colt Trooper MKIII, too bulky to draw or hide; but seriously accurate.
The XDm seems great so far, shot another 2 clips over the week.
When I do get a new holster, skimping on that is not an option. Thanks for the link to the belt.

joshs1ofakindxj
08-23-2010, 08:49 AM
I am 6'7" and can conceal some stuff other people might not be able to hide.

Like an RPG? haha

joshs1ofakindxj
08-23-2010, 08:51 AM
I won't get into the OC vs CC debate, other than I saw a quote on a forum that got me thinking a bit - "if you OC, and somebody is robbing the 7-11 you are in, you are the first guy to get shot."

Maybe, maybe not but got my wheels turning.

That could happen, or the bad guy would say hell with it and rob some other 7-11 without a guy with a gun already in there. Just sayin.

JeepSteeler
08-23-2010, 11:34 AM
That could happen, or the bad guy would say hell with it and rob some other 7-11 without a guy with a gun already in there. Just sayin.

Yep, I agree with that too. The deterrance factor could be enough to scare him out of there. Guess it's impossible to speculate any given situation like this.

I OC up at camp and in some of the more backwoods places I frequent. But CC is a must around where I live in the North Hills. The freaking out would be epic if I walked into a store around here with my .357 wheelie strapped to my leg. But up in Titusville and places like that, I probably wouldn't be the only one in there OC'ing like that at any given time.

joshs1ofakindxj
08-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Yes, a lot of the places I OC at are in areas where most people are comfortable around firearms. There are some places you just shouldn't go while OCing and you're probably right on with your choices.

wozz
08-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Congrats on the xdm! I think Josh is right. It makes a huge different where you oc/cc.

I've oc a few times with no problems around my small town but I dont think I would do so in a big city.

ridgerunner97
08-23-2010, 07:00 PM
OC in an urban or suburban environment would just draw unnecessary attention to the individual. Attention I personally wouldn't want. HOWEVER OC'ing in a specific environment/situation can make a visual impact or statement which could definately be beneficial to an individual, once again depending on the situation.

joshs1ofakindxj
08-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Well, I OCed at Thunder in the Valley up in Windber at the Star Boys Stunt show and at the BigRubbers display and I attracted no extra attention to my knowledge. Guess it's just that urban area lol.

notmYJ
10-13-2010, 05:50 AM

Just wanted to pop in and mention a thing or two...

Beltman.net is by far the best belt I have ever bought. Period. I had mine custom made as I didnt like the typical shiny look of gun belts. I had him make mine rough on the outside. Not sure how he did it, but I sent him pics of a belt that I had and he did it with the aggreement that I could not return it because I didnt like it. No worries there. I wear it every day, all day. If I'm out of bed and not at work, I have a gun on me...at least one ;) True gun belts are not cheap for a reason. A person would be better off spending alot of money on a belt than they would on a holster. The belt is such an integral part of the carry system that a good one is worth 100 times its cost if you carry everyday.

I am not a fan of small of the back (SOB) carry. I did it for a while when I first started carrying years ago. After awhile, it becomes a pain, literally. Then I went for the deepest concealment in the waistband (IWB) holster I could find. I went through abunch and setteld on the Side Armor IWB. Loved that holster. Now I carry in a Glaco FLETCH, OWB. I Love this holster. Its high tight and secure. Perfect for open carry and all day comfort. But i pin most of the comfort on the belt I got from belt man...

To sum up, dont buy an expensive gun, and a cheap belt and/or holester. The proper set up will help you carry all the time. If its comfortable, you'll carry more and have the gun when you need it. ;)