PDA

View Full Version : "Ground Zero Mosque" - a lot of hype.

OverkillZJ
08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm known to be a right wing bastard, but on this one I'm getting annoyed at the media and a lot of the talk radio hosts I usually enjoy taking it way too far. Some seriously want to step in and prevent a building permit from being granted to the private sector - isn't it usually the right that's bitching at government to "butt out?"

Found this video interesting, will save me some typing. I agree with him until about 8:30 where it turns into one hell of an opinionated rant instead of factual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpT2Muxoo0&feature=player_embedded

highlandercj-7
08-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I see it as a slap in the face of every "Real American". I feel if one does not take it as a slap in the face, they need punched in the face by a "Real American" and kicked out the door.

OverkillZJ
08-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Then punch me in the face and good luck kicking me out the door! This is NOT at ground zero, and dude, it's not even a mosque.

Do I like it? Not really. Do I think that legally anything could be done with it while truly respecting what America stands for? Hell no.

highlandercj-7
08-17-2010, 12:16 PM
If what he says is true. Then is won't be such a slap. The media has been stating "it's going to be on the site of ground zero" If it's a center blocks away then there will be nothing that can be done. If they try to put it on the site of ground zero then I stand by my previous comment.

OverkillZJ
08-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for starting a debate over a video you didn't want to watch, and instead calling me un-american and essentially saying I need punched in the face. :overkill:

It was to be a community center, open to all denominations. How true that is I'm not entirely sure, but it doesn't matter. And again; it's not at ground zero. As I said, I don't like it, but I think people are acting like biggots and making many assumptions. Either way looks like it's not going to happen. I, for once, agreed with obama's stance on it. It was a private purchase of a destroyed building on private land. Hey, for once the liberal government saw private transactions for what they were: nothing the government should do $hit about.

Deadman 94 xj
08-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I never in a million years thought I'd agree with anything KO says but on this I think I agree.

I'll admitt to not knowing a lot about what this mosque is all about. All I ever heard was that it was going to be built at the site of Ground Zero. I mean actually at the site. If what KO says is true, than I don't see what all the fuss is about.

That being said, I hate the fact that somebody out there might actually find some sick satisfaction out of it being built in New York and the only reason anyone might have the opportunity to think that way is because we made such a big deal about it in the first place. (So now it probably shouldn't happen lol).

At first glance, it's a bad idea, a slap in the face. After hearing the "facts", I feel relieved.

SirFuego
08-17-2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24-mHcA54Ik

Deadman 94 xj
08-17-2010, 01:03 PM

LOL, I like this idea.

highlandercj-7
08-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Priceless!

Mykal
08-17-2010, 01:16 PM
This is America and thanks to the brave men and women that fight for our freedom they should be allowed to build whatever they want after going through the proper channels. As long as they go through the proper channels I dont see a problem with it. Until we can learn to accept and respect all religions things like 9/11 will always happen. Do I agree with it, not really but I agree with freedom.

Personally, I do not agree with it but I respect the rights and freedoms we have thanks to the brave men and women that protect those very rights and freedoms. You can punch me in the face and try to kick me out Lyman but again because of the freedoms that you and I both stood tall for I can disagree with you.

OverkillZJ
08-17-2010, 01:25 PM

Hahahaha! I also heard a sound clip where a guy suggested a hooters on one side to promote "natural all-American girls" and a pork BBQ stand on the other side.

DMG
09-16-2010, 08:45 AM
This is NOT at ground zero, and dude, it's not even a mosque.

However you may feel about it being built, it is in fact a mosque. It includes a community center but there will be an iman present and a prayer center. There is currently a closed Burlington coat factory on the site and it is being used as a mosque right now by the people who want to build the mosqe near ground zero due to space limitations at other mosques.

OverkillZJ
09-16-2010, 09:03 AM
OK - so what do you intend to do about it? Would you protest a church that wasn't of a religion of your own?

Needless to say I'm not exactly a fan of Muslim. I think a lot of the concepts are messed up - but I often feel the same about some concepts in Christianity. The simple fact of the matter is that, no matter WHAT this thing is, it is NOT at "ground zero" as being stated by some, and more so, is being done legally.

The United States of America was founded on freedom of (and from) religion - freedom of choice. Many of us might feel uncomfortable about Mosque's, but just like not all Christians are nut cases, not all Muslim's are either. I can say that from personal experience. The fact that many are attacking an entire religion and would like laws made to prevent them from doing something perfectly legal is bullshit.

I think Obama said it best (and I hate that asshole!) - There is nothing illegal about them building a mosque there and nothing the government should do about it. Whether it should be done, at the choice of those building it or not, is another matter entirely.

mangotango
09-16-2010, 12:38 PM
My friends often accuse me of politically falling just to the right of Hitler.
What I find "unAmerican" are people who use the Constitution as a tool of convenience or, more to the point, ignore the Constitution to suit their political, social or racial bent.
The First Amendment guarantees, among other things, freedom of religion, freedom and speech and freedom of assembly.
These freedoms are NOT reserved merely for white Christians. These freedoms are for every American -- even the ones whose religion, speech or gathering the majority of us might find abhorrent.
The proposed community center, yes, would include a mosque. It would be located about two blocks from the "Ground Zero" site -- on a block that also includes a Jewish synagogue and a Christian church. Shall we get rid of them as well?
I'm a Republican but the rhetoric coming from my own party lately can only be described as lunacy. Forbes Magazine runs a cover article, which Newt Gingrich trumpets as Gospel, that questions Obama's "American-ness" because he was born in Hawaii and not on the mainland yet Sarah Palin is OK despite being from Alaska, which became a state THE SAME YEAR AS HAWAII.
This evil Iman who wants to rub 9-11 into the wounds of Americans? Yeah, he's most well-known for his efforts over the last 20 or so years (starting BEFORE 9-11) to convince Muslims in the middle east that America is not an evil country and that we value religious freedoms. He travels the middle east extensively, trying to convice other Muslim leaders to befriend and embrace America as a means of promoting religous freedom and peace around the world. He similarly speaks frequently to Christians in this country, trying to remind us that the vast majority of Muslims do not support Al Quida nor the Taliban and are not, in fact, terrorists.
The political rhetoric from BOTH sides in the past few months serves only the self-interests of politicians too stupid or lazy to come up with real solutions to our problems, plays upon the fears of Americans and does nothing but divide and weaken our nation.

I'm done, the soap box is now open.

Deadman 94 xj
09-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Great post!

DMG
09-16-2010, 11:35 PM
OK - so what do you intend to do about it? Would you protest a church that wasn't of a religion of your own? .

I just want to call a spade a spade. It is legal so it is not my concern.

OverkillZJ
09-16-2010, 11:44 PM
I just want to call a spade a spade. It is legal so it is not my concern.

Ahhh. Then I appologize, I went into rant-mode against those that oppose in general. I have a feeling we're on the same page.