PDA

View Full Version : trac bar wont line up

Sloth_Fratelli
08-26-2010, 12:57 PM
i lust installed 3" springs up front and i cant get the trac bar to line up on the axle mount, ive tried just about every damn thing i can think of. is there any way to do this or am i just gonna need a longer one?

OverkillZJ
08-26-2010, 01:03 PM
3" lift with a stock track bar? I'm going to say no... If you get it to line up your axle will be pretty far offcenter. That's what adjustible track bars are for.

To get it to fit have someone move the body of the vehicle or use a come along / ratchet strap. But I think you need a longer one.

Sloth_Fratelli
08-26-2010, 01:18 PM
okay i was pretty sure it wouldnt work, but zone seems to think otherwise lol

xj jimmy
08-26-2010, 01:18 PM
turn the steering wheel with the vehicle sitting on the ground

Deadman 94 xj
08-26-2010, 01:21 PM

This, or if you're by yourself you can try rocking the jeep back and forth. Don't let it fall on you if it's on jack stands!

joshs1ofakindxj
08-26-2010, 01:22 PM
It cab work but it shouldn't be a long term thing. Get a long one or weld more meat onto the axle bracket and re-drill it with a new hole.

atvboo
08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I was told to drill another hole on my tj with a zone 4" lift can't remeber how far over right now.

Sloth_Fratelli
08-26-2010, 01:27 PM

tried that, its still about 3/4" off at best

This, or if you're by yourself you can try rocking the jeep back and forth. Don't let it fall on you if it's on jack stands!

i might try that just till my new one comes in. im thinking teraflex just because i <3 them, does anybody have any informed opinions on which brand to choose?

OverkillZJ
08-26-2010, 01:31 PM
I had a teraflex break in HALF on me. Easy to earn your <3 ? I've had good luck with anything, well, not teraflex. JKS / Currie or Rubicon Express seem to do the job well. You'll need to measure when you get it installed to be sure your axle is centered. That means you'll still have the same issue a bit to get it centered up. It takes work of just, well, doing it.

joshs1ofakindxj
08-26-2010, 01:34 PM
I have a skyjacker that mounts on the top of the axle, which I like. The downside is the heim joint on the frame end needs tightened a few times after you first put it on, put it's been solid for a year. I got it used off Naxja so the price was right!

Deadman 94 xj
08-26-2010, 01:36 PM
I ran a RE trackbar and their bracket. I liked it. It was the one with the superflex jount at the end.

That lasted for a while but I eventually just ended up making my own out of 1.5" DOM with heims at both ends. I just measured, cut the tube, and a member here welded the tube inserts for me.

As for measureing, just measure the distance from tire to flare for both sides. Take the difference of the two measurements and split it in half to figure out how much you need to lengthen/shorten.

Mykal
08-26-2010, 02:20 PM
My Iron Rock Offroad (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-SATB) adjustable has held up great. If you have the money, get the Double Shear (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-STBCK). Or you can just upgrade (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-SDSTBU) later.

tjblair
08-26-2010, 05:32 PM
IIRC they want you to drill another hole in the lower bracket 3\4 in to the left of the original one. set it on the ground and have someone turn the steering wheel. It WILL go over enough.

YZEATER
08-26-2010, 05:35 PM
the stock one will work. when i put the springs in mine, we didn't take the trac bar off to put them in.

tjblair
08-26-2010, 05:44 PM
the stock one will work. when i put the springs in mine, we didn't take the trac bar off to put them in.
agreed

ExplorHer
08-26-2010, 07:05 PM
When I put a 3" Pro Comp lift on my dad's XJ, the kit came with a relocation bracket for the track bar on the axle side.

YZEATER
08-26-2010, 10:50 PM
When I put a 3" Pro Comp lift on my dad's XJ, the kit came with a relocation bracket for the track bar on the axle side.

so did mine, but we didn't use it. the axle sits a little off to one side but has not affected the way it drives. when i get my ride height set, then i'll upgrade to a better adjustable trac bar.

Sleeper
08-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Stock will work, axle will sit more to one side, relocation braacket is what you need if be and then alignment. But stock should be fine for now, esp for just a 3 inch lift.....

OverkillZJ
08-26-2010, 11:01 PM

I broke one of those too. that was 8-9 years ago, but I'm hesitant about relocation brackets unless they're welded or at least tacked into place. I found it walked allover the place no matter how much you tightened it.

ridgerunner97
08-27-2010, 04:53 AM
Stock will work and bolt right back up. I had mine unbolted put the 3in lift on mine and it bolted back up, it just takes some pushing and rocking and bouncing to get it to line back up, but it DOES line back up.

ExplorHer
08-27-2010, 10:30 AM
I broke one of those too. that was 8-9 years ago, but I'm hesitant about relocation brackets unless they're welded or at least tacked into place. I found it walked allover the place no matter how much you tightened it.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. I doubt it'll be too much of a problem since the XJ really never leaves the pavement. I lifted it so its easier for him to get in & out of, and it looks much better.