PDA

View Full Version : Mattews Feather Max

stranger ranger
09-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Looking to buy a used bow for my first one. Its a Solo cam feather max and its fully dressed ready to shoot, all I need to do is buy arrows and tips. I beat the guy down to 100 bucks and 2 years ago when he bought his new one, he had the limbs replaced because one was cracked, so with brand new limbs, ready to go, one Benjamin Franklin doesn't sound bad to me at all, but I know nothing about bow's.
Anyone have any input about this? Thanks.

mxg342
09-22-2010, 01:39 PM
$100 for a setup bow is a great price. Figure about $90 for a dozen gold tips. Make sure the draw length is close to what you need.

FYI- the last new bow I bought for me was $600 new and that was in 2004. By the time you add sights, rest, quiver, etc. you'll be at 800 to 1000.

jlovbasz3
09-22-2010, 01:44 PM
You'll need a littler more than arrows you need to get the bow set up for draw length.But $100 not bad set up! The bad part about bows they don't hold there value like guns and every six months the manufactures come out with a new that shoots a couple fps faster.

mangotango
09-22-2010, 02:05 PM
yep, $100 for a Matthews isn't bad at all. Now, take it to a good archery shop and have them tune it for you. They should measure your draw length and set up the bow for it, help you choose the right arrows and select a draw weight.
Don't fall for the "high draw weight = better bow" crap. You don't need more than 60 lbs. If this is your first bow, 55 is better. That'll kill a deer just as dead as big draw weights and you'll be able to draw faster, quieter and hold your draw for longer. Accuracy is WAY more important than draw weight.

JeepSteeler
09-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Good point Mango, particularily if you have a long draw like I do, that in itself will generate a ton of speed even at 55-60lbs. It's not a macho contest. I shoot at 62#, I can pull higher all day long but jeez I don't have to so why do it....

You are a long way away or else I'd send you to Gold N' Grain up in Mercer. Great archery shop and they just got a Matthews dealership to go along with Hoyt.

Sounds like a pretty good deal, you got a lot of bow for the $. I'd have the string replaced as well (i do every 2 seasons), new string loop, new peep, and some string dampners (spider speedballs or simliar). I'm not a huge fan of the Matthews grip since i have large hands, so maybe think about a wrap if you are in the same boat.

My Hoyt Katera XL retailed around $800+, Apex lighted sight another $100, Fuse stabilizer $60+, and about $50-75 worth of Simms dampners all over the place, $100 trophy taker rest, probably $1200-$1500 total worth of gear in mine. (Luckily I get wholesale prices due to a connection) I keep mine at least 4 or 5 years.

I'm a big fan of Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows (for hunting), they are pricey but hit hard and are pretty durable and very accurate. http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/product/5

Sleeper
09-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Not bad, prepare to spend around another 100 to get it up and running then another 60 in arrows and 30-50 in tips. I just picked up a used split limb 2007 Fred bear TRX with limb saver, truglo sights, new carbon express arrows with muzzy 100 grain heads, case,kisser, peep sight etc. I picked it up for 100 but i just stumbled upon it on CL and could not pass it up, shoots great 10-40 yards. I would never shoot past 40 yards anyway.

jim91303
11-22-2010, 09:16 PM
good deal ! like all have said ... but go to a GOOD archery shop. not gander mountain. they will say you need this and that just to make a buck. kevin's here in greene county is good.
must haves ...
1 arrows made to right lenght for your draw length
2 release of some type
3 first bow ... set poundage to 50 - 55
4 patience ..... you will miss alot and damage arrows if not loose them ( suggest cheap arrows to start)