PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Alleghney county

trailerrails
11-29-2010, 10:56 AM
What are the rules about guns? Are you allowed to hunt with a rifle in the county?

tjblair
11-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Slug gun only IIRC.

ridgerunner97
11-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Shotgun only in Allegheny Co.

trailerrails
11-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Shotgun only in Allegheny Co.

Ok, I looked out the window this morning and saw some guy dressed in blaze orange in the woods. I walked out and asked him to find another spot, further away from my house. I expected to see a bow but he had a shotgun.

projeeper
11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
may also use muzzleloaders-inlines are permitted and can be scoped

jackb1
11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
I walked out and asked him to find another spot, further away from my house.

How polite of you. How close was he? I get PISSED about people encroaching on land they shouldn't be hunting.

trailerrails
11-29-2010, 09:38 PM
He was not on my property (PPG owns the property) but was only about 60-70 yards away. Probably only 30 yards from where my dog was running around.

I figured it was in my best interest to be polite, he had a gun and I did not.

jackb1
11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
your property or not, that is illegal. But still nice to be polite. It never hurts to try the nice way first.

Are you near Hartwood acres?

trailerrails
11-30-2010, 10:00 AM
No, Penn hills.

YZEATER
11-30-2010, 09:16 PM
the saftey zone for gun hunting is 150 yards, unless you have permission from the property owner to be closer to buildings/houses.

JeepSteeler
12-01-2010, 09:03 AM
^ yes....and the "safety zone" gets tested and ignored quite a bit in Allegheny county. You were well within your right to ask him to distance himself from your residence. I've had to do the same thing (and double pissed because I caught a guy in my bow stand!)

It is 50 yards for bow.

Just to be safe, I tie a blaze orange handkerchief around my dog's neck this time of year. She's a German Shep mix and has tan/ginger/white colored fur and is about 90lbs. She's good and I don't let her roam the yard without me watching, but every once in a while she'll chase a yearling or fawn into the woods behind the house where a lot of people have permission to hunt. She doesn't look much like a deer but some people see something furry and moving and just let loose.

Super Scout
12-01-2010, 09:26 AM
I have to tell people to get lost pretty often up at the farm, it sits in a dip so people really have no clue how close they are to a house. I have nothing against hunters but it seems to me if your going to be walking around the woods with a gun in hand you should probably be a little more aware of your surroundings.

trailerrails
12-01-2010, 10:00 AM
^ yes....and the "safety zone" gets tested and ignored quite a bit in Allegheny county. You were well within your right to ask him to distance himself from your residence. I've had to do the same thing (and double pissed because I caught a guy in my bow stand!)

It is 50 yards for bow.

Just to be safe, I tie a blaze orange handkerchief around my dog's neck this time of year. She's a German Shep mix and has tan/ginger/white colored fur and is about 90lbs. She's good and I don't let her roam the yard without me watching, but every once in a while she'll chase a yearling or fawn into the woods behind the house where a lot of people have permission to hunt. She doesn't look much like a deer but some people see something furry and moving and just let loose.

I have a skinny 120 German Shepard who runs free within his inviable fence for most of the daylight hours of the day. With his size he could be mistaken for a small deer. I like the orange handkerchief idea. He used to chase deer and turkey all the time into the woods but now stops running right at his fence line. The guy was standing pretty close to the fence line, I believe I heard my dog barking at him at one point, that is what alerted me and made me look out there.

JeepSteeler
12-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I hate to say it but you might want to kinda rein him in for the next week or two until the big push of hunting season is over. It stinks you have to change your way of doing things, but rather safe than sorry. Keep a close eye on him anyway and do some kind of orange on his collar, or any bright color (lime green maybe).

I've heard of hunters shooting dogs who were chasing deer they were trying to hunt. Makes me sick but I've heard of it. There are a lot of ethical, skilled hunters in PA, probably the majority even. Unfortunately there are also a lot of morons who have a gun and by golly just want to shoot something...anything.

I don't wanna alarm you but I've spent years in the woods and seen plenty of stupid sh*t. If somebody capped my dog either on accident or intentionally....man.... he better hope he has some rounds left for me cuz he'll need em.

dan58
12-01-2010, 03:20 PM
but some people see something furry and moving and just let loose.

If it's brown, it's down!

OverkillZJ
12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
I have a skinny 120 German Shepard who runs free within his inviable fence for most of the daylight hours of the day. With his size he could be mistaken for a small deer. I like the orange handkerchief idea. He used to chase deer and turkey all the time into the woods but now stops running right at his fence line. The guy was standing pretty close to the fence line, I believe I heard my dog barking at him at one point, that is what alerted me and made me look out there.

Paint the dog orange for awhile.