PDA

View Full Version : I have issues with stupid people.

OverkillZJ
12-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Before you all say "Oh crap" - Matt's on a rant again, and even though this sounds like one of my rants - it isn't! Written out of frustration today by a girl I know:

I have issues with stupid people. --Gee there's a shocker.

Stupid people have taken over the majority of this county. I notice that I involuntarily don't look around that much at Walmart or the Mall because I don't want to see some idiot from high school or someone that I could really care less if I talked to. Yes, I hear you - not a good Christian witness, but these people really make me lose brain cells. If I hear anything else about hunting, car engines, who is on American Idol, or the sales at Giant Eagle versus Shop N Save, I just might have a melt down on the spot.
As if stupid people weren't bad, what's worse is working with non-Americans at work. Sure, I'll talk to you on the phone and ask you to repeat what you said a million times just to make you realize that you suck at speaking my language and are better suited serving Slurp-ee's down at the 711 or picking avocados. But the true beauty of this diversity movement is to get said Banana Buddhaheads, Camel Jockey wogs, and Zipperheads into the professional environment and let them write documentation.
Mind you that what they are writing about has NOTHING to do with something they would be subject matter experts on. If they were writing a paper about how to make, oh I don't know, rice. Or how to blow themselves up...or maybe how to shoot an AK47....and if they were doing it in their own language, I wouldn't mind. But if you're going to become an American citizen, please for god sakes learn how to properly write and speak the language before putting yourself into the professional world here. Just because you can balance baskets on your little coconut and swat your pet cow Muhammad Achmed Zalingwa-Pow-Click-Bang Bang Ali, doesn't mean that you're meant to work in America.

Take for instance the section of a document that I had to review today. It was written by a middle eastern fella that speaks "ok Engrish" but still leaves a lot to be desired. In short, it took me the better part of 5 hours to comment and fix his 8 page section. Five.Hours. Now, if we had hired someone that could pass the English proficiency test instead of accepting someone that has a "I said the Pledge of Allegiance to the America of United States" card, I could have..possibly...just MAYBE...saved four hours of my life by not pouring over complete monkey drool for work.

I sure hope he didn't work long on that section. I ripped it apart. I really think there was more red and comment boxes than actual text. I'm pretty sure he's going to cry, pray to Allah, and add me to his "Infidel List", then never want me to look over his papers again.

...and sadly, that was just the grammatical and sentence structure errors. That doesn't even touch the content issues.

Powerguy37
12-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Sounds like she needs a new job.

OverkillZJ
12-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Na, just less stupid folks to look after - I read the edits on the paper she was talking about, you'd bust out laughing as long as you didn't have to make the changes.

limegreentj
12-28-2010, 11:38 PM
LOL awesome! love it!

Dick.Breakey
12-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Is this someone I know? Cause if so I like her a lot more now haha. If not, that just plain sucks and I'd have to agree with her on a lot of if not all of it.

jim91303
12-29-2010, 06:24 AM
i love it and agree with her 150%
sad thing is it will only get worse.

Muzikman
12-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Racist much?

abrzrkr
12-29-2010, 10:51 AM
It must be hard to move here to The United States and work for the American dream.

OverkillZJ
12-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Dick - yes.

Jason - I don't really see it as racism. You work in the tech field and know there is a certain probability of someone making your job more difficult based on their origin, that's just a fact. Essentially if someone of any race comes to the US and can't speak or write English for crap, they shouldn't be guided along into a job they don't deserve because of things like "equal opportunity employment" - THAT'S racism. If you are of any race, come to this country, learn the language and can compete without a helping hand - fantastic, welcome. Otherwise, go to beginning of rant and let it sink in :overkill:

I've had the pleasure of working with folks of all races, many of who learned English properly and can compete based on their own skillset, not the fact that they're new and need help.

OverkillZJ
12-29-2010, 10:56 AM
It must be hard to move here to The United States and work for the American dream.

You're right - it must, and it should be. Anything worth earning in life is difficult.

Muzikman
12-29-2010, 11:23 AM
That entire statement is nothing but racist and there is no possible way to sugar coat it!

Sure, are there people in positions that make my job hard, sure, but MANY of them are naturalized citizens of the US with English as their first language.

Just because you are still learning a second language and just because you have not mastered it as well as someone who has spoken it their entire life does not automatically make you stupid (as the rant seems to assume).

Having supported field sites all over the world, I understand what it is like to be sitting in a room in Spain, Germany, etc and being the odd man out, the one that does not speak or write the native language. That does not make me stupid, that just means that myself and the others I am working with need to be a bit more understanding.

You have to remember, this country became great because of a lot of folks who did not speak English when they arrived.

Super Scout
12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Funny thing is more immigrants are able to attain the "American Dream" than most americans. Americans are too busy trying to get something from nothing where as immigrants who came from nothing do not mind working their asses off to get what they want. As much as it annoys me dealing with people who cannot speak english they do need to learn somehow. What pisses me off is our government enabling them to not learn proper english. Universal signs and spanish directions on every damn thing you buy. My Great grandfather came here with NOTHING when he was 12 years old by himself the only words he knew in english were "I need job" He got a job worked his ass off. When he got older his business card read like a resume he did everything and anything to make money. By the time he died he owned two companies, owned a farm, lent money to three kids so they could start their own businesses and had a lot of money in the bank. He accomplished this all without the government making people adapt to him. Don't blame immigrants they came here for the same reason everyone else did a better life, blame the government for making us adapt to them instead of the other way around.

OverkillZJ
12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
You have to remember, this country became great because of a lot of folks who did not speak English when they arrived.

And they learned it, didn't they? They learned it and worked their way into whatever position they eventually landed in, without the need for things like "equal opportunity employment" (which is a contradiction to how it operates) or affirmative action...

You can call it racist, seems like everything is these days. I still laughed because there are days I can relate.

OverkillZJ
12-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Funny thing is more immigrants are able to attain the "American Dream" than most americans. Americans are too busy trying to get something from nothing where as immigrants who came from nothing do not mind working their asses off to get what they want. As much as it annoys me dealing with people who cannot speak english they do need to learn somehow. What pisses me off is our government enabling them to not learn proper english. Universal signs and spanish directions on every damn thing you buy. My Great grandfather came here with NOTHING when he was 12 years old by himself the only words he knew in english were "I need job" He got a job worked his ass off. When he got older his business card read like a resume he did everything and anything to make money. By the time he died he owned two companies, owned a farm, lent money to three kids so they could start their own businesses and had a lot of money in the bank. He accomplished this all without the government making people adapt to him. Don't blame immigrants they came here for the same reason everyone else did a better life, blame the government for making us adapt to them instead of the other way around.

Well said.

Muzikman
12-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Not all of the smart folks in America learned to speak perfect English before they did great things.

Now, is it right that someone got a job that requires them to write a language they do not know. Maybe not, but then again, there might be other reasons he got the job, besides "Equal Opportunity". Maybe he's the boss's son in law. Maybe he lied on his resume and presented himself well in the interview. If he is bad at his job, then someone will notice and he won't be there much longer (unless it's a union job). Or, maybe with a little help, he could learn and be great at what he does.

At least he is here legally and at least his position still exists in the US and has not been outsourced to his native country.

JeepSteeler
12-29-2010, 11:47 AM
The statements about learning English are true enough. However the racist tinge peeks its head when she calls them names that are obviously meant to degrade based on one's ethnicity or origin. There is nothing non-racist with "zipperhead" or "camel jockey" in my opinion, and actually serves to make the ranter less reputable.

I bet guys like Marc-Andre Fleury and Georges St. Pierre are not stupid, but they don't speak great English and probably can't write it all that well either. They obviously try though and I don't know what else you could expect from them.

OverkillZJ
12-29-2010, 11:51 AM
No one stated that everyone learned to speak perfect English before they did great things... We're not talking about the birth of America or a new country, we are talking about the present America which caters to those who don't speak our language instead of the natural atmosphere which would have them learn it.

I can't argue your points without saying too much, suffice to say the job in question definitely has nothing to do with relationships, and you are essentially paying for it.

OverkillZJ
12-29-2010, 11:53 AM
The statements about learning English are true enough. However the racist tinge peeks its head when she calls them names that are obviously meant to degrade based on one's ethnicity or origin. There is nothing non-racist with "zipperhead" or "camel jockey" in my opinion, and actually serves to make the ranter less reputable.

I bet guys like Marc-Andre Fleury and Georges St. Pierre are not stupid, but they don't speak great English and probably can't write it all that well either. They obviously try though and I don't know what else you could expect from them.

I didn't know a "rant" was supposed to be reputable. Again it's something that was written out of frustration, not an article in a newspaper.

Fleury is a freaking Hockey player. He has his job based on a SKILL and his language skills do not hinder his job or those around him. Apples and oranges.

OverkillZJ
12-29-2010, 11:54 AM
It's been too quiet around here lately, I needed a debate I could argue on either side of ROFL

hedds
12-29-2010, 12:01 PM
I think the problem lies with the fact that English is not the official language of the united states. that being said how can we tell someone they have to learn it? trust me it annoys me more than anything in the world when i cannot understand someone because they are butchering the language to the point of no return, and i have several times said that if you can speak my language get out of my country...but again, there is no official language so how do we solve the problem?

Muzikman
12-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Ok, so the rant should go like this.

"People should not hold jobs that they are not qualified for".

Could have left out all the racist comments and made the point much clearer. Hell, I missed one key point in the entire thing because it was bookend between zipperhead and writing about rice and AK-47's.

OverkillZJ
12-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Most other countries have an official language, no reason we shouldn't too. Yet we don't. We cater towards translating to others. I have NO ISSUE with people coming here for a better life that want to live the American dream, but it seems more and more that is turning into the Immigrant dream of living here without actually being a part of American society.

Jason - I can see where you're coming from, and I should've stated in the first post that this is essentially something that wasn't designed for anyone elses eyes, its kind of like a journal entry that I thought would spark a debate so I asked if I could share it.

BAD_GNR
12-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Racist honkies.

Speaking of foreigners that can't speak English very well, I saw a license plate this morning on my way to work that read "IM SCORE". That's one hell of a Malkin fan.

JeepSteeler
12-29-2010, 01:12 PM
I didn't know a "rant" was supposed to be reputable. Again it's something that was written out of frustration, not an article in a newspaper.

Fleury is a freaking Hockey player. He has his job based on a SKILL and his language skills do not hinder his job or those around him. Apples and oranges.

I totally get your point. I guess what I was trying to say with the "reputable" comment was that the points could be made without slurs and would have more weight, to me anyway. But if it just a journal note or whatever then it doesn't matter since that person can be honest with herself.

You think communication ability in hockey is not important? Maybe that's why Geno never shoots the puck when I'm clearly screaming at him to do so (in English). Have you ever seen Potash try to get through an interview with him? I bet he'd say that language matters in his job. :)

But anyway that was just an example - just trying to make a point that maybe we give people whose second lingo is English a little credit for trying and learning as best they can. Its the ones that don't try that get me.

I do agree that English should be the official language. If that means I don't have to pick a freaking language at the ATM I'm all for it.

OverkillZJ
12-29-2010, 01:33 PM
LMAO! I guess as long as they can communicate with each other... I usually have no idea what they're saying, but it's amusing to listen.

justin'sbig7
12-29-2010, 05:53 PM
first off, the "stupid topics" such as hunting or engines is totally off base :D. there can be very intellectual discussions on these topics, as well as brainless psychobabble.

I do agree with her and most here that having to deal with people who do not speak or understand the english language, quite frankly, makes even a simple task soooo much harder. Why is it so much to ask that people who want to immigrate to this country become fluent in our english language? Do the french get arrogant if you cant communicate well in french when visiting their country? If you go to mexico (off resorts), is it right to expect them to cater to you if you arent able to speak spanish? So why are we so terrible for wanting people to speak english?

We are in fact the most tolerant society on earth. If a christian would have flown an airplane into the biggest building in saudi arabia, would they treat christians with the respect and tolerance that we show muslims today? I realize that it was radicals and may not represent the whole of the group, but if it was reversed, how would it be? This brings me to my next thought on this thread.... RACISM!!!! uh, oh wait... I forgot, i dislike the presidents policies so i am branded a racist, this brand has been thrown around soooo much lately, its kinda losing its meaning isnt it? If we disagree with anything that is different or new multiculurally, we are automatically racist. not really, it loses its force the more it is abused. as Matt stated, if a foregner comes here and accomplishes things through hard work, masters the language and obtains a job because that person is more qualified than someone who was born and raised here, GREAT!

racism is: biasing something one way or another based upon someones race... so, the victim is black and the assailant was white so its a hate crime, doesnt this suggest that there is a difference in the crime due to race? If it were white on white or latino on latino it would just be a crime.

A company gives an arab american the job, even though he is less qualified than the white female competing for the position, because of equal opportunity employment. wouldnt this statement suggest that the arab american is different due to his race? so, equal employment (started to fight racism) in itself is a racist program isnt it?

so giving these people jobs or advancements based upon their race and not their qualifications suggests that they are different due to their race and IS RACISM!

abrzrkr
12-29-2010, 09:13 PM
That entire statement is nothing but racist and there is no possible way to sugar coat it!

Sure, are there people in positions that make my job hard, sure, but MANY of them are naturalized citizens of the US with English as their first language.

Just because you are still learning a second language and just because you have not mastered it as well as someone who has spoken it their entire life does not automatically make you stupid (as the rant seems to assume).

Having supported field sites all over the world, I understand what it is like to be sitting in a room in Spain, Germany, etc and being the odd man out, the one that does not speak or write the native language. That does not make me stupid, that just means that myself and the others I am working with need to be a bit more understanding.

Agreed. I bet they didn't degrade you and call you stupid either.

abrzrkr
12-29-2010, 09:28 PM

This is a great story. There are many things to overcome for these people who emigrate. I can't see where deriding them and calling them stupid is helpful to any one.

Dick.Breakey
12-29-2010, 09:34 PM
This is a great story. There are many things to overcome for these people who emigrate. I can't see where deriding them and calling them stupid is helpful to any one.

love your sig..................:021:

abrzrkr
12-29-2010, 09:41 PM
No one stated that everyone learned to speak perfect English before they did great things... We're not talking about the birth of America or a new country, we are talking about the present America which caters to those who don't speak our language instead of the natural atmosphere which would have them learn it.

I can't argue your points without saying too much, suffice to say the job in question definitely has nothing to do with relationships, and you are essentially paying for it.

If a guy comes over from Poland and wants to buy a stamp at the Post Office how do we cater to him? The Italian who wants to drive on the Interstate Highway system, what are we doing to cater to that guy? You are German and you want to buy a book in Iowa. The Spaniard who is buying a house. Or heaven forbid someone of Arab decent or some other race that doesn't match our own is trying to apply for a job.

abrzrkr
12-29-2010, 09:48 PM
I think the problem lies with the fact that English is not the official language of the united states. that being said how can we tell someone they have to learn it? trust me it annoys me more than anything in the world when i cannot understand someone because they are butchering the language to the point of no return, and i have several times said that if you can speak my language get out of my country...but again, there is no official language so how do we solve the problem?

The United States is a proper noun please capitalize it. In American English we capitalize the first letter of a sentence, please do so. If you "have several times said that if you can speak my language get out of my country", what do you mean by it? Do you mean that if we are not very good at English like you then we should get out of your country?

abrzrkr
12-29-2010, 09:59 PM
love your sig..................:021:

In the past there have been governments who have used force to try to create a homogeneous society where everyone looked and thought the same. They were generally considered bad. Some people don't mind having others ideas crammed down their throat. I prefer the individualism that this country affords me.

Mykal
12-29-2010, 10:06 PM
The United States is a proper noun please capitalize it. In American English we capitalize the first letter of a sentence, please do so. If you "have several times said that if you can speak my language get out of my country", what do you mean by it? Do you mean that if we are not very good at English like you then we should get out of your country?

Shes posting from a Iphone 3g running the current IOS. If you have ever used one you will understand the grammatical errors in the post. Her errors also did not stop you from understanding what she typed. It must be legible.

I understand you are trying to make a point by pointing out everyones errors but you really do some serious trolling on here. You rarely post unless its to point out erorrs in someones view point. You need to get a different hobby. A simple discussion turns in to a battle with you and your opinions. Thankfully this is America and because of the brave men and women that fight to protect we are all entitled to our own opinions. Much like every legal American is free to speak in what ever language they want.

justin'sbig7
12-29-2010, 10:21 PM

emigrate means to leave your home country to seek a life in a new one. immigrate means to move into a new country other than the one you were naturalized

emigrant is what your original country would call you, immigrant is what your new country would call you

mangotango
12-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Some of the terms in the original post are unquestionably racist. Now, does that mean the woman who wrote them IS a racist? I dunno because I have no idea who she is. As has been pointed out, the post was made in a moment of sheer frustration. In that state of mind, we've all said things we regret or never would say had we thought about it even for a moment before we spewed our bile. We've all said things we don't really mean when anger overloads our frontal lobes.

The bigger issue here is our attitude toward those who speak other languages. Yes, absolutely, it's frustrating, even infuriating, to try to communicate with someone IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY who doesn't use or understand our language well enough to communicate, especially in a job setting (as opposed to some tourist asking for directions to Disneyland). I call it "our language" because, if you suggested to a native of Great Britain that Americans speak English, they'd laugh at you.
One thing to remember, America is probably the largest, most affluent country on Earth in which the citizens don't ROUTINELY speak two or more languages. The reason we can visit Europe, Latin America or Asia on vacation and get by with English is because, guess what, the citizens of those countries learned to speak it in addition to their own language from the time they were young children. It is we who are language deficient on this planet, not everyone else.
We also are one of a very few nations without an official language. You'd think, in a country without an official language, the residents would be good in at least a few tongues. Ha, the irony.
That said, yeah, if you're gonna live and work in this country full time, you'd ought to learn to use the language properly if for no other reason than to show proper respect for the people giving you the chance to better your life.

abrzrkr
12-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Shes posting from a Iphone 3g running the current IOS. If you have ever used one you will understand the grammatical errors in the post. Her errors also did not stop you from understanding what she typed. It must be legible.

I understand you are trying to make a point by pointing out everyones errors but you really do some serious trolling on here. You rarely post unless its to point out erorrs in someones view point. You need to get a different hobby. A simple discussion turns in to a battle with you and your opinions. Thankfully this is America and because of the brave men and women that fight to protect we are all entitled to our own opinions. Much like every legal American is free to speak in what ever language they want.

Racism just plain sucks.

Yes I have an iphone and I get it. Sorry if it seems like trolling bro. I just don't feel as passionate about "Weekend Plans" or "Opinions on Shocks". They are good topics but I just don't have as much to say on them. I was just brought up to "speak up" when you see acts like that. If I see someone kicking you when you are down on the ground I'm coming over to put an end to it. My family has a proud Air Force tradition and I am very thankful for the sacrifices that they and all of our armed forces have made. I am grateful that everyone has a right to voice their opinions. Sometimes you just speak up with your own opinion instead of letting it ride.

Super Scout
12-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Seeing as tho this is an "Offroading" site how the hell do you not have an opinion on shocks ? What do you drive, I think what Mykal was getting at and it has been discussed before is what are you doing on a site that is about offroading if you do not care about offroading ?

ridgerunner97
12-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Exactly, all you do is fawkin jump people's shit for their opinions when yours are not very clearly presented, and you use circular arguments half the time to try to justify your opinion. WTF are you doing here again?

abrzrkr
12-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Nevermind...

justin'sbig7
12-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Last edited by abrzrkr; Yesterday at 11:44 PM. Reason: I guess racism is awesome. Carry on people.

no one here is making racist statements. their negativity towards these people is not BECAUSE of their race but due to their ignorance to advance themselves to a level as to where theyre understood by the norms of the society in wich they chose to live. good lord, as i stated before, racism is now a blanket statement to use as a weapon to make someone feel bad about their opinion and to hopefully keep them quiet. this is unfortunate as it gives it less meaning in the cases where it is actually RACISM.

in ten years, Idiocracy will not be a funny movie. most people will watch it and wonder why theyre watching a movie about day to day life.. im bringing back "FTW" and I dont mean the acronym that has anything to do with "win"

OverkillZJ
12-30-2010, 09:47 AM
I thought this would spark a healthy debate. A lot of you are arguing to wards the same end the author did, but are thrown off by some of the witty comments. I think I view it differently knowing the author because things like that come out in contexts that are not racist or condescending; but knowing the situation this was written about I can understand why she wrote it the way she did.

This might have not been a good idea for me to post it, I was amused by it looking from a point of view that none of you can share not knowing the author, so... my bad.

JeepSteeler
12-30-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't think it was bad of you to put it up Matt. This has been a healthy discussion of a topic that obviously holds deep meaning to many people here, one way or another. I always find it interesting how people interpret things like this and then voice their take on it. We debated it in a civilized manner, good points were made on both sides.

Super Scout
12-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Civilized ?! You are both a bunch of Jag offs ! lol

limegreentj
12-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Last edited by abrzrkr; Yesterday at 11:44 PM. Reason: I guess racism is awesome. Carry on people.

no one here is making racist statements. their negativity towards these people is not BECAUSE of their race but due to their ignorance to advance themselves to a level as to where theyre understood by the norms of the society in wich they chose to live. good lord, as i stated before, racism is now a blanket statement to use as a weapon to make someone feel bad about their opinion and to hopefully keep them quiet. this is unfortunate as it gives it less meaning in the cases where it is actually RACISM.

in ten years, Idiocracy will not be a funny movie. most people will watch it and wonder why theyre watching a movie about day to day life.. im bringing back "FTW" and I dont mean the acronym that has anything to do with "win"

well said!

JeepSteeler
12-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Civilized ?! You are both a bunch of Jag offs ! lol

Did you forget the motto at your alma mater? Integrity, Civility, Responsibility......

Technically a "bunch" is more than two, so using "both" isn't quite acceptable. Where are you from? Canada? :)

Super Scout
12-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Dammit, you outed me. I was starting to like it here too filthy canadians...

OverkillZJ
12-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Dammit, you outed me. I was starting to like it here too filthy canadians...

Hey, THAT'S RACIST!

Mykal
12-30-2010, 12:25 PM
http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/078/271/list/ThatsRacist2.gif?1287493793

SirFuego
12-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Were you guys offended by Rendell's commentary on the postponement of the Eagles game?

techno
12-30-2010, 02:32 PM
I am not an American citizen. I've only been living in this country for a little over 5 years. I am fortunate that I came from another English speaking country, because it gave me a pretty good head start on learning the way Americans speak the language.

However, I still encounter 'problems' from time to time. It's almost impossible for me to order food, like a pizza, over the telephone. Waitress's have great difficulty in understanding the word 'Coke' when I say it. I have to consciously avoid using Australian slang, which is regularly used in conversation back there, due to the bewildered blank stares I get in return (or the mocking and impersonating replies). There are dozens of different words for the same thing between the various versions of English.

But I will say this; The vast majority of US citizens that I have met or dealt with since arriving here are friendly, understanding and genuinely interested to find out about why I sound different. Pittsburghers in particular are often very excited to speak with me or help me with something. As a white, English speaking foreigner, I am treated and viewed very well. I've encountered only two occasions when people have been openly hostile towards me because of my background, and they have been related to traffic incidents.

Muzikman
12-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah, we all know you damn Aussies can't drive. :)

Muzikman
12-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Don't even get me started on that ass-hat. I am glad he is out of here in less than a month.

A guy telling us that it's safe to drive in a possible 2 ft of snow. He has admitted that he has not driven in the last 30 years! How the hell does he know what it's like to drive in snow!
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/harrisburg_politics/Gov_Rendell_behind_the_wheel.html

Were you guys offended by Rendell's commentary on the postponement of the Eagles game?

Wrecker
12-30-2010, 04:28 PM
I spent 3 months working in Japan. Just outside Hiroshima. After that trip I was very glad that the rest of the world speaks English as a second language. Americans are very lazy for the most part when it comes to that. Part might be that there are too many choices and English is so common elese where.

I was able to move around and read signs. I could oreder food. I could ask for directions. If I was going someplace that was out of the was, I just took the name written in Japanese and I was set. Someone would always help.

I know I was helped at least by someone who lived through the bomb. I was given great help and respect. Would that person get the same in here?

On my return trip, I was met at a layover and led to my next plane by a rep of the airline to insure I made my plane. She was cute too. She spoke broken English that was a god sent. How many airline employees would even tep from the counter here to help someone?

When I did make it back the the USA, I landed in LAX. I was treated rude and got no help finding the gate I needed. It was at another treminal. They looked at me like I was bothering them.

So think about this the next time you are bothered by someone asking for directions. It might be you.

I do think though, if you are employed in this country in a postion were communication is needed, you better have a firm grasp. I have heard many stories of people who came to this country and worked hard during the day and studied at night to learn the ways. I get the feeling that the people who come now just want the benefits with out the work.

ezman
12-30-2010, 04:43 PM
racism is the biggest crock ever... the definition itself doesn't make any sense... come on now biologists... what defines a "race"? i'm pretty sure there is only one race of humans.... there are ethnicities sure, and people will be people and fear what they don't understand, with that said everyone is racist. just because you don't call someone a "******" or "zipperhead" doesn't mean you aren't acting "racist" simply judging someone by their looks is "racist" to think people can be politically correct and treat all people equal despite the ethnic background or socioeconomic status (yeah i used a big word) is bullshit... just accept the fact there will be people who you don't like based on ridiculous things and vice versa...

those asteriks are supposed to be "the N word" uh oh...

ezman
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
oh and for those jumping on abrzrkr about his opinions on things.... just because he doesn't have an opinion a a specific type of shock for a specific type of vehicle doesn't mean he doesn't like to wheel... perhaps his only experience is with say a cherokee, and the topic is shocks for a suburban. that may be out of his knowledge base and he doesn't comment because he has no actual experience with the topic...

i know i try not to comment on a technical question unless i know, or have done it. hence you really only see me post in random threads or ones about tj's or xj's. that's what i know...

Muzikman
12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Ok, you don't like the word "racist"...we'll change it for you. Bigot. How is that? Better?

Muzikman
12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
This thread makes me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2DxyAGzGxM&feature=related

justin'sbig7
12-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Ok, you don't like the word "racist"...we'll change it for you. Bigot. How is that? Better?

much better :D except that Bigot is a word used to lessen a person of bias by a person who thinks they have no bias and thus thinks less of the bigot therin making them a bigot themselves just by using the word...

OverkillZJ
12-30-2010, 05:19 PM
This thread makes me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2DxyAGzGxM&feature=related

Hahaha - I've never seen it, but I just added it to my netflix list...

justin'sbig7
12-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I am not an American citizen. I've only been living in this country for a little over 5 years. I am fortunate that I came from another English speaking country, because it gave me a pretty good head start on learning the way Americans speak the language.

However, I still encounter 'problems' from time to time. It's almost impossible for me to order food, like a pizza, over the telephone. Waitress's have great difficulty in understanding the word 'Coke' when I say it. I have to consciously avoid using Australian slang, which is regularly used in conversation back there, due to the bewildered blank stares I get in return (or the mocking and impersonating replies). There are dozens of different words for the same thing between the various versions of English.

But I will say this; The vast majority of US citizens that I have met or dealt with since arriving here are friendly, understanding and genuinely interested to find out about why I sound different. Pittsburghers in particular are often very excited to speak with me or help me with something. As a white, English speaking foreigner, I am treated and viewed very well. I've encountered only two occasions when people have been openly hostile towards me because of my background, and they have been related to traffic incidents.

id like to buy ya a beer sometime and BS, i enjoy learning about other places, cultures and beliefs. ill gladly do my best to help or work through communication barriers to help someone if i can and i am as polite as i can be. if i get arrogance however i just move along

OverkillZJ
12-30-2010, 05:30 PM

I do think though, if you are employed in this country in a position were communication is needed, you better have a firm grasp. I have heard many stories of people who came to this country and worked hard during the day and studied at night to learn the ways. I get the feeling that the people who come now just want the benefits with out the work.

I think that about sums up my feelings. I get very, very frustrated when other's shortcomings at their job (communication) make my job needlessly more difficult.

techno
12-30-2010, 06:35 PM
id like to buy ya a beer sometime and BS, i enjoy learning about other places, cultures and beliefs. ill gladly do my best to help or work through communication barriers to help someone if i can and i am as polite as i can be. if i get arrogance however i just move along

See what I mean? People in this part of the country are just grouse (not the bird, it's aussie slang for great).

Wrecker's comments about Japan sound familiar. I was there a few months ago and found the locals wanted to try out their 'Engrish' on me, probably for practice! At the same time, I bothered to learn some basic words and phrases in Japanese prior to my trip. They were thrilled to bits to hear me speaking in their language, no matter how much I butchered it. I had similar experiences in Indonesia too

We can all tell who the tourists are in this country, and cut them some slack, but I also agree with the other comments regarding if your job requires a certain level of language proficiency, then that is exactly what you should have.

ezman
12-30-2010, 07:39 PM

horse a piece... no one is above judgement of others, to make up terms for judging someone is riduculous, it's called human nature... from your responses in this thread you appear to think of your self as a "non-racist" correct? tell me this when you are driving through a less than desirable area and you see a young black man decked out in some oversized clothing, wearing a flat brimmed hat sideways, driving a crown vic on 24's, what is your first thought? oh that looks like an upstanding young gentleman? i doubt it... we all judge others who don't appear to be in our norm... it's called evolution. it's how we distinguish threats to our "tribe"

because someone will judge based on stereo types doesn't make them less of a person, it merely means they are acting on instinct, which humanity has traded long ago for addiction, unfortunately...

IBJEEPN
12-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Someone say Bigot....LoL.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDMQPfGYTwU&feature=related

ezman
12-31-2010, 05:24 AM
ha ha ha... love archie bunker...