PDA

View Full Version : Steel supply

trailerrails
01-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Ok, this is not jeep related.

I want to build a railing for the stair case in my house. i am thinking stainless steel tubing with glass filler panels.

Like this:

http://hyderabad.indiadynamics.com/adpics/4c85cafa9923d97d7f09a288a.jpg

I am looking for a shop that can supply me with the materials to construct this. I will weld and fabricate everything else as needed. I need the tubing (that part is pretty easy), I would like to buy 'weld' in elbows, and I will also need the clamps to put the glass in.

I called around today and stopped at a couple places and all I got was blank stares or comments like "I have only seen stuff like that in California and New York". I looked online and have found some places I could buy the stuff from. I would like to find someone local the might have some experience with this.

KUGS
01-06-2011, 01:05 AM
I have bought alot of steel from wheaton & sons in braddock. If they dont have it they can get it.

john00TJ
01-06-2011, 07:16 AM
I have bought alot of steel from wheaton & sons in braddock. If they dont have it they can get it.

ask for Bronk he always goes outta his way to get me what i need

trailerrails
01-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks, I will check them out.

Super Scout
01-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Call Multi Metals in Delmont. They specialize in building metal stair cases and railings. They have done all the work at my school. 724-836-2720

cdavenport81
01-27-2011, 02:03 AM
how about Contek International? For over twenty-five years, Contek International has been a leading importer of steel, specialty metals and plastic components used in American manufacturing. Most of my friends purchased steel products from Contek.

Check their site - http://www.con-techinternational.com

ezman
01-27-2011, 02:36 AM
when i built spiral stairs and rails we just used mild steel .095 wall tubing. it's pretty easy to polish up and clear coat or send out to have it coated. just a thought, def. get the weld in elbows, unless you have a tubing bender. also get some little cheater rings (not sure what they are actually called) but it's a little sleeve type thing that slips into the tube to give you a nice even gap all around and makes welding waaaay easier, so you have some nice welds easy to clean

TJDAVE
02-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I buy a lot from Clinton Aluminum and Stainless Steel. I think it would be nicer if you bent the stainless steel elbows instead of welding them in. It would be a neater looking job.

MikeJohnson
02-27-2011, 03:48 PM
http://www.atlantisrail.com/railing-systems

Barillms
03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't think a railing like that is welded.
It's a clean finish, prob uses an internal fastening system.

You can most likely buy a custom railing that looks better & is cheaper than a homemade job.

trailerrails
03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't think a railing like that is welded.
It's a clean finish, prob uses an internal fastening system.

You can most likely buy a custom railing that looks better & is cheaper than a homemade job.

Interesting, I have no experience designing or building railings. I was assuming it would be cheaper to do it myself. My stairwell is pretty intricate and has some weird angles. I guess I should price some stuff out first.

I am looking at mild steel and painting it black now because stainless seems to be out of my budget.