PDA

View Full Version : HELP!Need Shop advice for a dead T Case on 98 GrandLaredo

FoxRunner
12-28-2004, 06:13 PM
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Automatic wiht 145k

So I took it to Micks Jeep Dealership on McKnight...
Thay said my Transfer case is toast... Im a computer geek that only drives his jeep to DC and Back... What does this mean and where do you alll suggest I get it fixed?
The car has 145k on it.... And a warrenty with pennwarrenty company that should cover some of the work and costs...
Either way Im low on funds and not currently working... and its my only car...

HELP?
Karl.A@Csensihc.com

Thanks Alot!

Cebby
12-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Don't go to Mick's! They are a bunch of crooks. I have had issues there. If it isn't too late, take it to Benke in Gibsonia. Much better folks out there and you will get a straight answer. You could always go get a t-case at a junkyard and swap it, but that is pretty advanced (to me anyway)

JeepGeneral
12-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Search for a used case and take it to a shop that honors that warranty to install it, a lot of dealerships won't work with aftermarket warranty companies b/c they can be a PITA to get payment from. If you keep an eye out you can probably find one online (like on JU) for around $250 or so.

Tom

OverkillZJ
12-28-2004, 09:48 PM
What engine? If V8, then you have the 249 tcase which uses a viscous coupling to transfer power from the rear to the front in a slip-scenario. They're crap, blew mine at 50. But what leads you to believe yours is bad, other what Micks said?

If you have the I6, you should have the 242, which frankly I doubt you would have killed, it doesn't rely on the VC like the 249...

If you're going to replace it, I'd suggest a 242 or 231. Either can be found ready to bolt up, though there could be some rear drive shaft length issues. I ended up getting a 231HD w/ SYE and 2 tom woods driveshafts to just be done with it...

FoxRunner
12-28-2004, 10:24 PM
I have a 6 cyclinder. Like i said Im no mech except for the basics like brakes and well thats about it....

So most of what ou all say is foreign to me.... You say its bolt on does that mean you think I could do it myself... if I find one?

And can any one tell me what I should be asking the dealership that I brought it too?

And hey if any one want to help me out and wanna make a couple buck helping me out I would love the help...

Thanks for the info so far...

OverkillZJ
12-29-2004, 11:19 AM
I'd ask them why it needs replaced...... 242's aren't known to fail, even under some decent abuse. I think they're serving you some BS on a silver platter.

RalphDogg
12-30-2004, 02:10 AM
get an atlas and huge rubbers

FoxRunner
12-30-2004, 11:15 AM
ok so my warranty company wants to know what is bad in my tcase...
Quick SLick Micks told me he would have no way of knowing this....

I hate them both.... They are real PITAs to deal with.

I suppose Im going to pick it up and take it to the afore mentioned Benke (sp?)

Either way know how tight walleted my warranty comapny is I may be looking at trying this my self... I figure Im am such a newb at the jeep thing that I should try it out... I also suppose i can allways have it towed into a shop to have it put in if screw up.... With that in mind can you give me some direction on how and where I can get a decent T Case...

Ive been reading about them a bit but still have some questions....
1st whats the diff between NV and NP.... Or better yet what do I have...
Also looking at ebay would this one work... (and mind you Im looking for a exact match or straight bolt on... as this is my 1st time.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7943623054&category=46104&sspagename=WDVW

Also are there different versions... For like automatic and stds.... SOrry Im so clueless

Please let me know.
And thanks for all the help so far.

Cebby
12-30-2004, 12:11 PM
I don't know how hard they are to swap, maybe someone who has tackled this can chime in.

I'd look to a local junkyard before ebay. If you can get your hands on a Factory Service Manual, there should be good illustrations about r/r it. Better yet if it is on a vehicle and you can see how it gets pulled off by the yard.

OverkillZJ
12-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Easy swap. At least I think so.

NP and NV are kind of one in the same, some kind of corporate buy out caused the name to change, anyone have the details?

FoxRunner
01-06-2005, 02:03 AM
Ok so heres a new question for you....

I was told I should avoid getting a t case from a jeep that was flooded...
I was told the is a vent in it and it would be full of mud and water...
If this is true I will stay away, but at the same time I question how you all manage to drive through creeks and bogs like you all do...

Thanks Again!

Cebby
01-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Vents on these things typically have a check valve on them to keep the mud/water out. What happens is that if the case/oil is warm and you dunk it in cold water, it can draw water in through the valve.

On my 4Runner, the breather for the t-case is on top of the unit - that's really deep mud to get in there. I'd likely get stuck before it became an issue.

More important are the differentials. These are very suseptible to mud/water in them from the same warm case/cold dunking. I extended the breathers on my diffs to a point where I'd have other issues if the breathers got wet (rear up behind fuel door and front above engine)

FoxRunner
02-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Ok so we put on a tcase I got from the yard...
Now 2wd 4wd all appear to be woking correctly...
EXCEPT: (there is always one) the VIC or message center is going nuts... in 2wd it show both 2wd and full time dsplay... and in part time it shows nothing in fulltime it does show full time...
Is my replacement tcase bad or the sensor or what?

Any ideas....

Ohh yea btw thans for talking me into doing it myself... except bolt #6 on top and the one bolt on the crossmember it was a breeze...

OverkillZJ
02-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Ok so we put on a tcase I got from the yard...
Now 2wd 4wd all appear to be woking correctly...
EXCEPT: (there is always one) the VIC or message center is going nuts... in 2wd it show both 2wd and full time dsplay... and in part time it shows nothing in fulltime it does show full time...
Is my replacement tcase bad or the sensor or what?

Any ideas....

Ohh yea btw thans for talking me into doing it myself... except bolt #6 on top and the one bolt on the crossmember it was a breeze...

If I recall, there's some discrepency in wiring haresses between the cases, I dont remember details though. There was a writeup on nagca.com WAAAAAY back. Honesly, I'd just unplug the sensor wire. Do you really need it to tell you when your in 2WD or 4WD? That's all it does.