PDA

View Full Version : Any cheap AR-15 rifles

sethman15210
02-16-2011, 02:17 PM
so i was up at gander mountain yesterday and theyre advertising a bushmaster ar-15 carbine for $650. after rebates-n-that. it got me to thinking of getting a new rifle but id like somethin a little better for the same money, probally used. so im asking if anyones selling anything or has seen anything used somewhere thats a good deal. i called ace sporting and they wouldnt tell me nothing over the phone and i hate to ride all the way there for nothing.
i already have a s&w ar chambered in .308 and i love it but its to much to play with. id like a .223 flat top or optics ready for plinking.

JeepSteeler
02-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Considered a .22 version?

I picked up an M&P 15-22 for less than $500, can get 550 round ammo boxes for less than $20. For just plinking, that's pretty cheap. Pretty much any AR accessory will fit on it too.

sethman15210
02-16-2011, 02:34 PM
nah, id prefer .223. and my pinking is in a shoot house or praticing tatical drills. i though about one of the .22 but that would be somethin if i had nothin else i wanted. ive seen .22 conversion kits for $200 for standard ar rifles also.

MemorEsto
02-16-2011, 08:31 PM
I compare most prices to budsgunshop.com

( The link insert isn't working, it kept adding pgh-offroad to the beginning of the link)

OverkillZJ
02-17-2011, 09:00 AM
I compare most prices to budsgunshop.com

( The link insert isn't working, it kept adding pgh-offroad to the beginning of the link)

www.budsgunshop.com (http://www.budsgunshop.com)

Just type http:// and/or then the address. Don't put a slash anywhere before the name or it thinks it's a trailing address of PGH-OR.

EddyB
02-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Don't know if this will help you or not, but is still good info.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

JeepSteeler
02-18-2011, 11:28 AM
nah, id prefer .223. and my pinking is in a shoot house or praticing tatical drills. i though about one of the .22 but that would be somethin if i had nothin else i wanted. ive seen .22 conversion kits for $200 for standard ar rifles also.

I understand where you are comin' from. I debated getting the .223 and a conversion kit too. Decided to just get the 15-22 for now, then I will have an excuse to buy another one in .223 later on. :)

Need to have a range day or something this spring!

sethman15210
02-18-2011, 09:16 PM
ya that would work, i just went out today and picked up a springfield xd .45 compact. its so sweet

soupy688
02-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Hey sethman I work near ACE and actually have to go there for some .40 ammo. If you want I could ask about a .223 cal AR If you want and I could just get back to you.

skipdoo940
02-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Cabelas just sent me an ad they have an off brand .22 cal ar15 for under 250$ don't know quality but I would buy that before a conversion kit

JeepSteeler
02-21-2011, 10:12 AM
^ is it the High Point thing that kinda looks like an AR?

When I was shopping I compared the Colt/Umarex and the Sig 556 versions, but liked the S&W the best. Already have a front grip/bipod, voodoo tac sling, and 3 extra mags. All pretty cheap. I'd like to hit the range soon but the 6 shot limit at the Wexford range makes that no so appealing.

Sethman - congrat's on the XD .45! My friend has one and I love that gun....I'm considering it as a future purchase. I also like the Ruger SR9c and Beretta PX4 Storm if I stick with 9mm. Thinking Kimber Ultra Carry .45 or the XD .45 as alternates or additional buys. Yeah I'm all over the place....too many nice guns out there....

Back on topic, Sethman have you checked gungenie.com for an AR? You can search and get local dealers who will get the gun for you and you can price compare online, put a deposit down online, and pay the balance when you pick it up.

sethman15210
02-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Hey sethman I work near ACE and actually have to go there for some .40 ammo. If you want I could ask about a .223 cal AR If you want and I could just get back to you.

i was just there, nothing interesting in my price range. so i picked up a .45 instead, they had a decent deal.

sethman15210
02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
^ is it the High Point thing that kinda looks like an AR?

When I was shopping I compared the Colt/Umarex and the Sig 556 versions, but liked the S&W the best. Already have a front grip/bipod, voodoo tac sling, and 3 extra mags. All pretty cheap. I'd like to hit the range soon but the 6 shot limit at the Wexford range makes that no so appealing.

Sethman - congrat's on the XD .45! My friend has one and I love that gun....I'm considering it as a future purchase. I also like the Ruger SR9c and Beretta PX4 Storm if I stick with 9mm. Thinking Kimber Ultra Carry .45 or the XD .45 as alternates or additional buys. Yeah I'm all over the place....too many nice guns out there....

Back on topic, Sethman have you checked gungenie.com for an AR? You can search and get local dealers who will get the gun for you and you can price compare online, put a deposit down online, and pay the balance when you pick it up.

id love to find a s&w m&p used but thats probally not gonna happen. ace had a used one two moths ago and it was gone by the time i got there later that day. ive checked out the online dealers but aint sure how it all works, and where to have it sent to. i dont have a normal gun dealer, i get them from whoever has the best deal.

thanks on the .45 props, im dieing to shoot it, i picked up some winchester (ugh) ammo and have been considering going to the wexford range. ya the 6 shot limit sucks but if youre theyre early and no one else is there, than sometimes i forget how to count ;)

i also saw the no name rifle at cabellas, ah. id rather put the money towards something good. im sure ill pick up one of the .22 eventually but itll be the s&w version. i believe theyre four somethin.

JeepSteeler
02-21-2011, 06:19 PM
I think I paid like $460 or somewhere around there for the M&P 15-22 up at Sportsmans Supply in Butler. I'd have to go check the receipt. It's one of those things where i kinda don't even want to look at the price after I made up my mind its coming home with me.

If you wanna hit the Wexford range one of these days post up, maybe we can get a group together and go. I always have something I wanna shoot....maybe between the two of us we can figure out how many 6 shots really is... :)

EddyB
02-21-2011, 07:29 PM
id love to find a s&w m&p used but thats probally not gonna happen. ace had a used one two moths ago and it was gone by the time i got there later that day. ive checked out the online dealers but aint sure how it all works, and where to have it sent to. i dont have a normal gun dealer, i get them from whoever has the best deal.

thanks on the .45 props, im dieing to shoot it, i picked up some winchester (ugh) ammo and have been considering going to the wexford range. ya the 6 shot limit sucks but if youre theyre early and no one else is there, than sometimes i forget how to count ;)

i also saw the no name rifle at cabellas, ah. id rather put the money towards something good. im sure ill pick up one of the .22 eventually but itll be the s&w version. i believe theyre four somethin.

This is the place to do a transfer, http://www.firearmtransfers.net/ I have not dealt with hm personally, but have never heard anything but good things. He is also cheaper than most gun shops.

There is nothing wrong with Winchester Ammo, I shoot it all the time.

Find a club to join. Mine is capped right now or I would recommend it. This is a great club that I have shot at a couple of times, http://www.pmsconline.com/ .
The range at Wexford is a joke and it's matter of time before someone is killed or seriously injured there. I will never go there, not even if it was empty. Loading more than what is allowed will get you a ticket.

When you hit the "shift" key in conjuncture with any of the letter keys on your keyboard they become capitol letters. These come in handy for the start of a new sentence and the letter i when used by itself when you are speaking in the first person.:flipoff2:

joshs1ofakindxj
02-21-2011, 11:44 PM
If you're patient for deals and like playing with the barbie-for-men doll known as the AR15 then build your own. I got a DSA flat top upper and lower, bulldog barrel, YHM compensator, tapco 6 position stock, timber wolf tactical lower parts kit, rock river arms bolt carrier group, bravo company gunfighter latch, magpul folding BUIS, BSA red dot, barksa vertical grip, magpul pmags, and a toaster oven with digital read out...all for about $800.

If you can install an aussie locker, or hell, even change a water pump on a 4.0L, then you can build an AR.

DeathBlade556
02-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Cheap upper ($350) (I have one) drop it on a delton or rogio lower ($89-109), a lower parts kit ($54-$60) and a stock ($29-$199) or a complete lower ($169-$209)

http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom16hbarmidlength1x9flattopuppercompletestanda rd-2-1.aspx

JeepSteeler
02-22-2011, 09:10 AM
There is a guy I met on S&W forums that might do the paperwork cheap or get you good deals on this type of stuff. Haven't used his services yet myself but have talked to him and seems like a decent dude.

John McCaw
JCD Tactical Law Enforcement Sales
White Oak, PA
412 980-1233

sethman15210
02-22-2011, 12:35 PM
ive been checking into the build-a-gun sets, theres alot of different manufactures. i dont know enough about some of the smaller companies to make a decision. but so far they sound like the cheapest option unless i can find a s&w used (fingers crossed). im being patient and im sure ill find somethin. to reply to the clubs, a few friends of mine belong to various clubs and i go with them sometimes. but i dont get out enough to make a membership worth it. i pay a buck or two to tag along and its fine. wexford is my usual place but i try to go early when theres no one there and always during the week. theres to many kids on the weekends with those dam fake ak's trying to act tough. and eddyb, pressing the shift key is a pain. it slows me down to much

Bill
02-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Honestly, an AR is a lot like a Jeep in the way that there is no "cheap" version of one. Sure, you can get a decent deal on one. Sure, you may pay a few dollars less than the next guy. In the end between accessorizing and ammo you are always going to be spending money on the damn thing. I would guess I have somewhere between $1700 and $2000 into mine, but I have it set up exactly like I want it.

Now it is time for another one. Just because.

LittleRedToyota
02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Stag makes a decent AR for a good price. You might want to check them out. Buying the lower, a lower parts kit (LPK), and a complete upper (rather than a complete gun) is one way to help keep the cost down without having to be a gunsmith. if you can change your own oil, you can put an LPK in a lower. And then it is just a matter of pushing two pins to put the upper on it.

John Battilana at www.firearmstransfers.net is indeed a good place to have the transfer done if you buy on the web (which, imho, is typically the way to go). I shoot with John occasionally. He is a good guy. Another good guy is Todd Enos at www.gunrunnersofpa.com. Both of these guys are just shooters who were sick of seeing people get ripped off on transfers by gun shops (and getting ripped off themselves), so they got their FFLs and set up shop.

Also, as mentioned above PMSC is a great club with great practical shooting facilities...you can shoot an AR the way an AR is meant to be shot there (as well as practice IPSC/IDPA style shooting...along with a group that does CMP rifle shooting.). A lot of great guys at the club as well...always happy to help out newbies.

Prepare to probably want to at least put an EOTech/Aimpoint type red dot optic on your AR when considering the price.

Stan (New to this forum...just bought a DRZ-400 and was searching for places to ride and found this forum--seems like a cool place)

ridgerunner97
02-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Good to have ya aboard Stan, my family are members at PMSC, I live over in NHT. Got an RM have to get some riding in.

AR's are like big kid lego sets. I've been looking and looking and will probably eventually put one together with bargains offline. Goin to buy me an AK first though :)

joshs1ofakindxj
02-23-2011, 12:20 AM
This is the $60 lower I started with... http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Stripped-Lower-Receiver---DSZM4RBLM/productinfo/DSZM4RBLM/

Looks like they're sold out right now but the blemish is a joke. You have to hold it in the right light to see a few dots in the finish.

sethman15210
02-23-2011, 01:19 AM
ya i know al about dsa, ive ran across alot of the FAL parts. i used to have a pre-ban model FAL. i think building one is the way im gonna go, is there anywhere locally to get these parts or is it a online only thing? im not a cheap ass, but every dollar i spend on a gun is one less dollar i spend on my xj. and my "gimmie" list is a mile long.

also ridgerunner, if you're looking for a ak, don't make the mistake and get one of them wasr rifles. all the low quality stamped parts wear out. Chinese made ak's can be had for under 600. i bought a early 70's russian model for 750 and a Chinese model for 650 at a gun bash.

ridgerunner97
02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Already done my research and know what i'm buying

joshs1ofakindxj
02-24-2011, 11:13 AM
ya i know al about dsa, ive ran across alot of the FAL parts. i used to have a pre-ban model FAL. i think building one is the way im gonna go, is there anywhere locally to get these parts or is it a online only thing? im not a cheap ass, but every dollar i spend on a gun is one less dollar i spend on my xj. and my "gimmie" list is a mile long.

also ridgerunner, if you're looking for a ak, don't make the mistake and get one of them wasr rifles. all the low quality stamped parts wear out. Chinese made ak's can be had for under 600. i bought a early 70's russian model for 750 and a Chinese model for 650 at a gun bash.

I got all my parts online, and those prices I gave you before included shipping.

I would take my WASR 10/63 AK over my AR15 any day.

I don't know what wears out on an AK? The barrel? Stamped part(s)? You mean the receiver? The part that only has wear contact on the guide rails? I guess the thousands of them in use are just a fluke. The AR has so many other wear issues that require constant lubrication...carrier rails, bolt lugs, ejector, gas rings, cam pin, forward assist, bolt catch, magazine catch, hammer and trigger pins, etc. Need I say more? The AK is all lube optional and I have yet to see a metal filing fall out of it when I clean it, not to mention the fact that it is gas piston system and not direct impingement like the AR so significantly less barrel crud ends up in the receiver. The only problems with WASRs from Century Arms are limited to basic fit these days (mag well, etc) and the ole canted sights from some banging around while shipping. Every now and then someone gets one where the bolt has to be worked a bit before it works flawlessly. When SHTF, it's going to be AK over AR for me, well actually RPK.

sethman15210
02-24-2011, 03:03 PM
i had two of them wasr wear out on me. a few buddies also had issues. and yes we did put ALOT of rounds through it, the receiver rails, even the bolt itself wore enough to misfire constantly. now on the early chinease and russian models almost everything is milled and ill admit i like them alot. my main complaint is the accuracy, and crud buildup. if my as* depended on it during the chinease takeover(ww3), id rather have my swiss rifles.

ridgerunner97
02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
The AK i'm going to buy is the WASR 10/63 just like Josh's. Mill it out for a double stack and call her a day. He has a ton of rounds through his, no problems. They don't have a crud buildup problem like an AR. If the shit hits the fan, its going to be me, my .40 Ruger, Model 70, and AK going to town.

cityslicker
03-04-2011, 04:01 PM
www.budsgunshop.com (http://www.budsgunshop.com)

Just type http:// and/or then the address. Don't put a slash anywhere before the name or it thinks it's a trailing address of PGH-OR.

I just lost 2 hours looking through this site. you dick... It's like crack only, not wack.

doublejz
03-12-2011, 04:33 PM
This is a good writeup I found a while back

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462

joshs1ofakindxj
03-14-2011, 04:54 PM
That is the article where I started learning. Lots of good information there.

wozz
05-14-2011, 02:54 AM
Although I don't have an ar15 yet I've shot a ton of them at work and if the shtf I'm reaching for my wsar10. Ive put a few thousand rounds down range and it shoots just as good as the day I bough it. Best 200 something ive ever spent.

bell22
05-25-2011, 12:23 PM
I just got rid of my WASR last month due to needing some quick cash...F#$K ME!! Been shooting my SKS which I love and thought about building an AR, but I think i'm gonna just pick up another AK. I would ONLY use my AK for a SHTF zombie invasion so if the 7.62x39 round goes through the first one and hits another = less ammo needed ;) My SKS is accurate as hell for long range need.

doublejz
06-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I was up at Latrobe Army Navy last weekend and they are selling a DPMS AR-15 with bipod, 2 30rd clips and a hard case for like $740. I know its DPMS so some may say its junk but mine has never let me down. Also, I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that remington, bushmaster and dpms are all made in the same shop now.

sethman15210
06-16-2011, 03:52 PM
sounds like a ok deal, but thats about average for a used rifle.

doublejz
06-19-2011, 09:14 PM
I believe it was this guy, http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5295, new ofcourse.

BigDukeSix
07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
I buy all my junk off Gunbroker

tjblair
07-23-2011, 12:05 PM
^ holy crap! Where have you been?

BigDukeSix
07-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Dude it's been a crazy time around the ol' homestead...

RockinTJ
08-29-2011, 07:06 AM
I too, am Tactical trained, and if you are thinking tactical, I have a AR-15 (M-4) .223 with a 11.5" barrel and it perfect for close Quarters. You will pay a little more, but you get what you pay for...And for home safety, you want it to fire when it needs to....There is a new Gun Shop on Main St. in New Alexandria, also can find dealers on cheaperthandirt.com

The_War_Wagon
11-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I got a few... NONE are "cheap"...

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/dafamily.jpg

Actually, I need to update this picture - I've changed some optics, and built a few more.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/100_7566.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/SPR14.jpg

Got another, "under construction"... 8-)

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/fulllower.jpg

I think that's why I got a Jeep - they're STILL cheaper than AR's for me! :103:

jlovbasz3
11-18-2011, 05:10 PM
DPMS for $590.00 at Hoovers in Rockwood 814-926-4011