PDA

View Full Version : Seeking instructions to cut XJ fenders.

fathersnsons
02-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Before someone instructs me on how to use SEARCH, we seriously tried.

Tomorrow, I am going to attempt overseeing the guys (teens) while working on the XJ.
We need to start installing a full set of CUSTOM stellar Tube flares. I have had them awhile as some of you know.

I try not to complain, but it is getting very challenging for me to even get to the garage & sit to oversee these guys. I seldom go out. But they are the best kids. They stay out of trouble, love the whole JEEP, OFF ROAD bit, they are just not experienced mechanically. Only a couple of the guys have a strong male role model at home. So I have my son, and about 10 guys who frequent here on & off, 'mysunz'. I love them all.

Since health issues have now ended my employment, our jeep 'FUNd' is zero. So paying installation or help is not an option.

ANYHOW does anyone know of a site on this or another Forum on cutting XJ fenders? We are only planning to remove a couple inches. But we want it to look good. I appreciate your feedback as I again claim,
I do not know, what I do not know.

We are trying to get this done as our new raised COWL hood with a donated Custom Paint Mural is done. The painter called and said we can pick it up mid march as he is now in Vegas meeting with venders and at shows. We have not seen the paintjob, but he is amazing & he said it looks great. While in Vegas he won 7 awards and is going to be in two magazines as of our last conversation.

I appreciate those who have helped us in so many ways. From forwarding a URL, Building custom parts at cost, and for donation of time & parts. Overall the XJ is unique and looks OK.

THX and sorry for the LOOONG soap opra post.

Mykal
02-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Trace the front flares while on the jeep. Remove the flares. Select tool of choice and cut the front fenders.

For the rear, remove the flare. You will see the spot welds, dimples, about an inch up from the lip every few inches. Cut a line in between those dimples. Do not go past them. Use a BFH and fold the lip over.

Writeup for the rear (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1047016)

ridgerunner97
02-25-2011, 12:04 PM
^ Agreed its easy as pie, a great little project to do. In the rear, tell the guys to take their time and make sure they find all of the dimples, clean the dirt off they are easy to see. The spacing of the spot welds seems regular but mine had a few that were difficult to see at first glance. Go over it, and I took a sharpie and marked each weld to make certain I didn't accidentally get out of control in the heat of the moment :) then I went to town like Mykal said. Its easy to do, and it feels refreshing to beat the hell out of the back fenders of your Jeep with a big hammer LOL.

Deadman 94 xj
02-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Yeah, what he said. For mine I was never too concerned about keeping the cut pretty because I knew they were going to get covered up with the tube flare anyway.

Obviously you don't want to cut too much anywhere but if you trace a line like Mykal said, they should turn out fine.

The rears are a little more tricky but it's the same concept. There is the pinch seam that you want to try to keep intact. If it gets cut too far, guys usually weld it back up. There are a couple of different methods that work.

If you look at my thread, I did the multiple "relief" cuts and then folded them over with a hammer. In hindsight, I think I used the hammer quite a bit on the rears when I installed the rear fenders. I wouldn't want to see the jeep with those fenders removed :D

fathersnsons
02-25-2011, 12:20 PM
THX
I looked it over and felt it was easily doable.
I wondered about inner fender(s) & if there are any surprises, or tricks.

Now that they know the drills need to run in a forward speed to drill a hole it should go a bit easier.

I will let you know how it goes.

ridgerunner97
02-25-2011, 12:27 PM
The front inner fenders I just ripped them right out and didn't ever look back. Good luck! Post up finished pics, I love tube fenders on XJ's haha

john00TJ
02-25-2011, 06:20 PM
use a cutoff tool vs a sawzall or the like ..it will be easier an turn out cleaner ...if you have any trouble with the fitment or flares dont hesitate to call or PM me

Deadman 94 xj
02-25-2011, 06:27 PM
^^Agreed. No sawzall for the main cuts. It'll pull too much on the thin sheet metal.

ridgerunner97
02-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Don't use the sawsall at all. It totally brings the suck when doing this. Angle Grinder, or some other type of wheeled cutting implement is your friend.

village_idiot
02-25-2011, 06:37 PM
dremal FTW! just dont let the cut off wheel get stuck at an angle or itll explode.

ridgerunner97
02-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Dremel runs to hot for the cutting required, gets too hot to hold and the wheels are chintsy as hell, its like pissing in the wind for this.

village_idiot
02-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Dremel runs to hot for the cutting required, gets too hot to hold and the wheels are chintsy as hell, its like pissing in the wind for this.
ive never had a problem with em, just gotta have a little patience.

tjblair
02-25-2011, 06:43 PM
dremal FTW! just dont let the cut off wheel get stuck at an angle or itll explode.

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone better hurry up with that pic!

Plasma cutter FTW!!

But a grinder with a cut off wheel will work fine too.

ridgerunner97
02-25-2011, 06:44 PM
ive never had a problem with em, just gotta have a little patience.

You will wither away and die before your done, it would be a race to what dies first, you, the dremel, or the disc.

Dragonslayer
02-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Jon, you've done the cut's. Go help them out for pete's sake. I'll be callin you when I do mine. HAHA :flipoff2:

I'll have beer tho. :icon_pidu: (I'm the one on the right) LMAO!!!!!!

fathersnsons
02-25-2011, 09:40 PM
we will manage
Agree on the cutting tool choice
we have a new grinder (they burned up the first one)
thx for the heads up

Barillms
02-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Use a .45 thick cutting disc.

Draw a line where to cut, then cut.
Start by slowly making a guide groove before plunging through the metal, then gradually make the groove deeper until you penetrate. Grinding discs aren't meant for cutting round cuts, so you must be careful. Be very precise and slowly work the cut in.

PS don't let teens touch a Jeep unless u want it ruined.