PDA

View Full Version : Which to buy??

bell22
03-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm looking at adding a semi-auto rifle to my collection of hunting rifles. Mostly for plinking but always like another home defense tool also. Here's what i'm considering:

Edited:
Saiga 7.62x39 (Russian)
SKS
AK-47 (Romanian)
10-22

I know each is more unique to differing applications and I know an AR-15 is a better choice but trying to stay less expensive than an AR right now. I'm kind of leaning toward something I can tinker with and add to on b-days and xmas also. Thoughts?

ridgerunner97
03-01-2011, 01:59 PM
AK-47 WASR pick it up at Dunham's for less than 400 bucks. Josh1ofakindXJ has one that he is currently building up. It's a sweet rifle and ultra reliable. Ammo is cheap, it hits harder than a .223. However it isn't as accurate as an AR at longer ranges but still plenty accurate. Guys bad mouth them all the time, but if the shit hit the fan thats what i'd be carrying. I'm planning on picking one up within the next 3 months as soon as I get back to work.

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
03-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Love my AK. Built it up with a dragonov(sp) stock, quad rail setup, pistol grip with push button bipod, quick detach scope mount, and a red dot. Looking for a nice folding metal stock at the moment.

ARs feel like shooting BB guns to me. Never shot a mini so I can't really compare to those

DMG
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I had a 308 Saiga. It is the best built, most accurate AK. Get the Saiga. And the 10/22.

HoodRN
03-01-2011, 05:17 PM
AK is the way to go. I have a couple ARs, they are range toys. If I need a rifle to fight with to defend myself, it will be one of my AKs (or an M1 Garand). I have a Yugo M70 underfolder and a Arsenal SGL21 (Saiga). Neither of the AKs have EVER failed to feed/fire/eject with any kind of ammo I have used. Clean them? Occasionally.

condortaco01
03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
AK is definitely how I'd go. I have a cheap one that is accurate as hell and never jams. Ammo is reasonable and plentiful. Its not something I'd use for whistlepigs at 500 yds but that's what i'm getting the Dragunov for!

bell22
03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Well someday either my son or I will have a M1 Garand, but until then I want something less expensive. I really do like the AK's. I actually prefer the looks over the AR's. I really like the Saiga but a little more pricier than the AK's. I was at Dunhams over the weekend and they had the Romanian AK's for $399. Living in Allegheny County I don't believe i'll be shooting anything more than a couple hundred yards max anyways!!

DeathBlade556
03-01-2011, 09:05 PM
I'd go SKS myself tad more accurate than a AK and just as reliable.

HoodRN
03-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Well someday either my son or I will have a M1 Garand, but until then I want something less expensive. I really do like the AK's. I actually prefer the looks over the AR's. I really like the Saiga but a little more pricier than the AK's. I was at Dunhams over the weekend and they had the Romanian AK's for $399. Living in Allegheny County I don't believe i'll be shooting anything more than a couple hundred yards max anyways!!

If you want a Garand, check out www.odcmp.com. The requirements are easy to meet, and they deliver 'em to your house by FedEx. Better yet, you can drive over to Camp Perry, Ohio (near Port Clinton) and pick your own out at the CMP North Store. A genuine USGI M1 Field Grade starts at 495.00.

joshs1ofakindxj
03-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Take a trip you won't regret and visit Security Military Depot north of Indiana. Give the guy a call and check for his price on all of those rifles and I'm sure he was them in stock. I was there this week and I was really impressed and something even followed me home!

Security-Military Depot
984 DeHaven Road
Home, PA 15747
724-349-9366

M-F 9-6
Sat 9-5

Tim is the owner and a really great guy. He stocks all kinds of crazy military surplus weapons and new weapons. I counted at least 20 different AK type rifles and some Dragonov type rifles that were well priced. Rocket launchers and machine guns on bipods and such too. Worth going just to look around. Small shop but its full of cool things.

I LOVE my WASR 10/63 AK47 and I have never ever had a problem after many rounds. I've played with an SKS and they're ok, but just don't feel as sexy as an AK. Saiga is cool, but, eh, looks are alright and you just end up farting around with it and when you're done you have something that looks like a WASR. Mini rifles are so so. Neighbor had one and I wasn't impressed. They seem really overpriced for what they are. And everyone should have a 10/22. I also love changing stocks and adding parts, and the WASR and 10/22 are highly mod-able and tinkery.

Just my humble opinion.

wozz
03-02-2011, 12:48 AM
AK-47 WASR pick it up at Dunham's for less than 400 bucks. Josh1ofakindXJ has one that he is currently building up. It's a sweet rifle and ultra reliable. Ammo is cheap, it hits harder than a .223. However it isn't as accurate as an AR at longer ranges but still plenty accurate. Guys bad mouth them all the time, but if the shit hit the fan thats what i'd be carrying. I'm planning on picking one up within the next 3 months as soon as I get back to work.

x2

I've had a wsar for a few years now with no problem. Def get double stack.

bell22
03-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Those are AWESOME prices on their M1 Garands!! I might have to pick one up for my son for a graduation present next year. For me i'm leaning towards the Romanian AK. I was thinking of getting a Saiga and doing the conversion to make it a Russian AK. Is it really worth it to have a Russian gun vs. a Romanian? I heard they're a little cheaper with their metals but i'm not taking mine into years of battle any time soon. Thoughts?

HoodRN
03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
The Russian rifles are nicer, but can be pricey (www.k-var.com). The WASR will probably do everything you want it to do. I attended a couple of carbine classes over the past two years, saw all types of rifles used. The only thing that stopped the AKs from working (including the WASRs) was running out of ammo.

sethman15210
03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
the russian and chinese models have more milled parts than other versions. the cheaper countries used alot of stamped parts. in turn the milled parts had tighter tolerances and shot better. but if its just a play toy it doesent matter that much, only what you wanna spend matters.

them m-1 prices are great, i gotta check them out. i bought i display commemorative rifle years ago and it was barely under 2g's. its a really nice display and its to nice to shoot.

bell22
03-02-2011, 02:24 PM
The Russian rifles are nicer, but can be pricey (www.k-var.com). The WASR will probably do everything you want it to do. I attended a couple of carbine classes over the past two years, saw all types of rifles used. The only thing that stopped the AKs from working (including the WASRs) was running out of ammo.

Damn it...that's a doable price for the Saiga even doing the conversion afterwards to an AK doing it myself. $379 for the Saiga which is Russian then customize it to an AK over time for a personal touch, or just go buy the Romanian off of the shelf done. What to do what to do.

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
03-02-2011, 02:52 PM
I have about 2500-3000 rounds thru my romanian. Not a single problem, ever.

condortaco01
03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
/\x2

Meeke
03-02-2011, 09:17 PM
I am just getting into these things. Until I read this post, I was leaning towards an AR, but I don't really have the cash right now. I know next to nothing about the AR's or AK's, so could someone clue me in besides caliber differences. Also, what are the prices that AK's are going for? I have been looking at the cost differences between building an AR vs. buying one, so I'm interested in the AK.

bell22
03-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Romanian AK-47's for $399 at Dunhams.

joshs1ofakindxj
03-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I am just getting into these things. Until I read this post, I was leaning towards an AR, but I don't really have the cash right now. I know next to nothing about the AR's or AK's, so could someone clue me in besides caliber differences. Also, what are the prices that AK's are going for? I have been looking at the cost differences between building an AR vs. buying one, so I'm interested in the AK.

for your enjoyment and education...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_AK-47_and_M16

Come back with questions after going over that link and we'll try to answer any that you have.

joshs1ofakindxj
03-02-2011, 11:04 PM

You can get the single stack's on sale at Dunhams for $320 out the door I think. My friend bought one at that price and I sold the single stack mags on PAFOA for $20 and milled out the receiver for double stack mags for him so now he has a $300 Romanian AK-47 (Century Arms WASR 10/63). I'd be willing to mill out any mag wells for a few beers is anyone wants to do the same thing (beers after the milling of course).

ridgerunner97
03-02-2011, 11:05 PM
^ You already are going to do mine hehe

HoodRN
03-02-2011, 11:18 PM
the russian and chinese models have more milled parts than other versions. the cheaper countries used alot of stamped parts. in turn the milled parts had tighter tolerances and shot better. but if its just a play toy it doesent matter that much, only what you wanna spend matters.

them m-1 prices are great, i gotta check them out. i bought i display commemorative rifle years ago and it was barely under 2g's. its a really nice display and its to nice to shoot.

Those CMP M1s are USGI issue. The CMP armorers go over them, check headspace, etc., test fire them. Their customer service is second to none. My WW2 Springfield Armory had a GI's letter and a range card in the stock where the cleaning kit fits. They are all issued rifles, real US history that you can hold. You should see what a good rifleman can do with one of these relics at 600 yards on the Camp Perry ranges. Like Gen. Patton said, "The greatest battle implement ever devised".

HoodRN
03-02-2011, 11:27 PM

They have the double stack WASRs at Dunham's at Moraine Point (Butler) for 379.99. Mags are about 8-9.00 bucks each (Romanian surplus). By yourself a case of ammo for a couple hundred and have at it. I have heard of AKs that wouldn't run, but I've NEVER seen one.

bell22
03-02-2011, 11:51 PM
They have the double stack WASRs at Dunham's at Moraine Point (Butler) for 379.99. Mags are about 8-9.00 bucks each (Romanian surplus). By yourself a case of ammo for a couple hundred and have at it. I have heard of AKs that wouldn't run, but I've NEVER seen one.

I would assume that the Dunhams in Monroeville would price match their Butler store then huh. I'll find out tomorrow if they do and check back.

ridgerunner97
03-02-2011, 11:53 PM
^ Check the North Versailles one as well, I saw single stacks there for 320 as well a month or so ago.

Meeke
03-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Any luck at Dunhams?

bell22
03-03-2011, 09:01 PM
The Monroeville Dunhams has them for $399 on sale. Sales guy tried to talk me out of buying...AR guy lol. Got me thinking of maybe picking up a combo shotgun now to set up tactical and also have the field barrel for hunting. Too many damn choices. I'm spinning.

ridgerunner97
03-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Stay true, AK is more fun than any tactical shotgun LOL

bell22
03-03-2011, 09:20 PM
How about a comprimise on a Saiga .410?? If I was able to pick it up for $320.

ridgerunner97
03-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Fun, but it comes down to ammo. You can get 1k rounds of 7.62x39 for like 250 bucks or less, Idk how much for sure I haven't got a flyer in a while from anyone, but price .410 shotshells...much more expensive to shoot.

bell22
03-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Good point. Cabelas has case of 100 of .410 for $115 so thats a big difference vs 7.62x39.

ridgerunner97
03-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Here is an example :) 1k rounds of russian manufacture steel cased FMJ $180 bucks

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-rifles/7-62x39mm/p/7-62x39-ucw-ulyanovsk-cartridge-works-122gr-fmj-1000rds-/cPath/12_41/products_id/3721

bell22
03-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Ok, i'm back to AK 7.62x39 again :)
BUT, i'm still torn between WASR and Saiga. I'm leaning Saiga and then doing the conversion later. I feel like a woman shopping for shoes!!

bell22
03-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Proud new owner joining the WASR clan. I picked up the double stack. Just an FYI for anyone looking, Dunhams also has the single stack running for only $279 right now!! Double was $379.

ridgerunner97
03-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Woahhhh the single stack is only 279!?! $279 bucks??? F MY LIFE.....I may be going to make a rash purchase in the morning....

Meeke
03-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Woahhhh the single stack is only 279!?! $279 bucks??? F MY LIFE.....I may be going to make a rash purchase in the morning....

I couldn't pass it up... Josh, what kind of beer do you drink? You live pretty close to me and actually know some of my family, i believe.

joshs1ofakindxj
03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I sent you a PM, hopefully you see it before I leave for NY for another 3 months this afternoon.

joshs1ofakindxj
03-06-2011, 11:38 AM
$7 Tapco polymer Ak double stack mags - http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1591&zenid=c0a31qu6rl4d0bdqblrm0fubl2

I got 5 of them from them the other day. I prefer my steel mags but that is a good price so why not have some for range play.

bell22
03-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Damn...good price for those...might be a worthy stock-up purchase.

$7 Tapco polymer Ak double stack mags - http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1591&zenid=c0a31qu6rl4d0bdqblrm0fubl2

I got 5 of them from them the other day. I prefer my steel mags but that is a good price so why not have some for range play.

Super Scout
11-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Bringing this thread back to life I have been behind the times for too long. Just bought an SKS and ordered up some toys for it. Now I want an AK anyone price these lately ? Online they seem to be going for 500 plus. Dunhams has new ones for 640 (well atleast the one in latrobe). Or does anyone want to get rid of one.

joshs1ofakindxj
11-28-2012, 05:04 PM
From the little bit of research I did, the Century PAP might be a solid buy, but further research is required. I thought at first it was just a polished WASR but I guess they're made in a Yugo factory to a higher standard. I still wouldn't pay that much for a working AK. I'm not a collector. I just want straight sights, a tight mag well, and a smooth action.

This is a bad time to buy an "assault weapon". Obama-mania rules.

If I was buying an AK type of rifle local I would be taking a trip to see this guy to see what he has:

Security Military Depot is a small single owner shop located a few miles from Indiana.

He deals mostly in military type guns. You can expect to see Mosins, Enfields, Mausers, ect as well as SKSs, AKs, Fals, ARs.

Handguns run from Maks and Sigs to police trade in .38s.

He carries mags, ammo and some military surplus clothing. There are always a few hunting rifles and shotguns as well. Consignment guns are usually on hand.

Hours are M thru F, 8-6 Sat, 8-5, closed Sunday

984 Dehaven Rd
Home, PA 15747

(724) 349-9366‎

JeepSteeler
11-30-2012, 11:42 AM
A call to Sportsman's Supply in Butler is always a good idea when looking for a particular firearm, in my experience. They usually either have one or can get it for you quickly. I had no issues getting my S&W M&P AR Sport a couple months ago (i think i paid about $620) and they had a few more in stock as well as some Bushmasters, a couple DPMS AR's and several Colts. If i remember right, there were a few AK's laying around at the time too.

I know that's a long haul for you and I'd follow Josh's lead first, but might be a second option for you.

pittim
11-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Steve, I'm 10 min from the place Josh is talking about. Let me know if you want me to run up there and check prices.

The_War_Wagon
12-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Check some of the local PA gunboards & their classified ads - you might find someone dumping one on the cheap!

bell22
12-20-2012, 08:15 PM
I ended up with a Saiga 7.62x39 Russian AK47...love it!!!!!!!!!